Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Trifia: Town wins after Day Eight

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:54 pm

Post by Fuldu »

Trifia: Minutiae in Space

An experiment in cross-pollination

Important Announcements

Pro-town roles will be posted when I have a little more time.

Everyone should read the rules post below. Because of the extra layer of complexity in this game, it is critical that all players are familiar with them. I’d appreciate it if everyone read the background post that follows the rules. There’s nothing truly important there, but I spent a lot of time on it and wouldn’t want that time to have been wasted.

Living Right
:
  1. PeaceBringer, Ensign (townie)
  2. Quailman the Security Officer (roleblocker)
  3. Thoth the Ship's Doctor (limited resurrection)
Dead Wrong
:
  • justinl the Munitions Officer (vigilante) - Modkilled Day Zero
  • Coron the Systems Administrator (target swapper) - Mangled Night One
  • Mgm the Reference Librarian (knowledge gatherer) - Frozen Night One
  • Talitha the Cyborg (replacement) - Frozen Night One
  • AndrewS, Heisenberg Lieutenant (mafia) - Lynched Day One
  • Internet Stranger the Mechanical Engineer (doctor) - Frozen Night Two
  • Leonidas the Chef (inventor) - Frozen Night Two
  • mneme the Systems Analyst (deputy) - Mangled Night Two
  • CoronII (
    replacing Flying Dutchman
    ), Heisenberg Ensign (mafia) - Lynched Day Two
  • Locus Cosecant the Power Core Technician (deadline extender) - Mangled and Frozen Night Three
  • PookyTheMagicalBear, Pirate Ensign (mafia) - Frozen Night Three
  • thrawn1020, Ensign (townie) (
    replacing Phoebus
    ) - Lynched Day Three
  • Dmi the Electrical Engineer (tracker) - Frozen Night Four
  • Raccoon_TOF the Programmer (bodyguard) - Mangled Night Four
  • inHimshallibe, Fh'Telna (SK) - Lynched Day Four
  • Dragon Phoenix the Communications Officer (cop) - Frozen Night Five
  • Save The Dragons, Ensign (townie) - Frozen Night Five
  • Mastermind of Sin, Science Officer and Heisenberg Uncertainty Principal (mafia GF) - Lynched Day Five
  • Maximumum, Lieutenant (townie) - Frozen Night Six
  • Bengel54321, Pirate Lieutenant (mafia) - Lynched Day Seven
  • Jaguar, Captain and Pirate Captain (mafia GF) (
    replacing Quagmire
    ) - Lynched Day Eight
Last edited by Fuldu on Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:53 pm, edited 56 times in total.
It takes a village to raise a lynch mob.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (isolation #1) » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:55 pm

Post by Fuldu »

Mafia Rules
:
  • Votes must appear in
    bold
    . Votes not appearing in bold will not be counted.
  • Please try to remember to
    unvote
    before voting someone new. This is not required, but it does help to prevent mod error.
  • Lynchings will require a simple majority of those living. Once majority has been reached, the lynch will be carried out and further voting/unvoting actions will be ignored. You may also choose to
    vote: no lynch
    to end the day without a death.
  • Days in this game will have regular deadlines, set in the dawn post and updated in the opening post. These deadlines exist within the context of the game and are subject to very little discretion on the part of the mod. In the event of a major justification (widescale blackouts throughout an area in which players live), I will consider shifting the deadlines. I will not consider shifting the deadlines simply due to lack of participation.
  • If the deadline is reached without a simple majority, the player with the greatest number of votes (who reached that level first, in the event of a tie) will be lynched. For the purposes of deadline lynchings, non-votes will be considered as
    no lynch
    votes. However, a lynch will always take precedence over no lynch in the event of a tie.
  • Nights will also have deadlines, though they may be somewhat more flexible. Any choices not received by the deadline will result in no action on the player’s part.
  • All pro-town roles received a PM containing the words “You win when all threats to the Ratite are eliminated.” Other than that and the phrase “Please PM your confirmation,” all role PMs are different. Don’t try using the phrasing of something in your PM as proof of your identity. It won’t work, and it annoys me.
  • The game is not to be discussed outside the thread unless your role PM explicitly says so.
  • Once your death scene has been posted, stop posting.
  • Do not delete/edit previously submitted posts.
  • Don’t quote PMs from me.
  • Contrary to popular opinion, the mod is not
    always
    right. If you feel I’ve made a mistake, please PM me or post a message prefaced with
    Mod
    in the thread. The mod will try to remedy errors where possible. However, the mod is also putting a lot of effort into this and into keeping errors out of the game in the first place. Behaving like a decent human being about any errors that do occur will be appreciated.
Trivia Rules
:
  • In addition to the day deadline, the dawn post will also contain a trivia deadline. All players are expected to select from the available trivia categories by this deadline with a post of the form
    Category: Famous Goats
    . Categories, once chosen, are not retractable. Players not selecting a category by the deadline will be assigned one randomly and I will prod them or look to have them replaced.
  • Once all categories have been selected (so, at the category deadline at the latest), the trivia questions will be posted. All players are expected to submit their own answer to their question by the day deadline with a post of the form
    Answer: Bill Grogan
    . As with categories, answers, once posted in bold, are not retractable. Players not submitting an answer by the deadline will be provided with an incorrect one at no charge.
  • Because both lynches and answers are due by the day deadline, the completion of only one or the other
    will not
    end the day. As a result, it is night when the mod says that it is night. Periodic vote counts will keep players updated on both the status of lynch and the status of trivia answers.
  • Once trivia questions have been posted, no outside research is allowed until the answers have been posted. Obviously I can’t check that you’re behaving in a sportsmanlike manner in this regard, but I can’t check that you aren’t talking with your scum teammates during the day or with your mafiascum friends in real life about the game, either. If your self esteem is so caught up in winning a game on this forum that you’re going to stoop to cheating, you might want to consider some professional help.
  • In the period of time between when categories are posted and when questions are posted, you are allowed all the outside research you want. If the category is
    Staples
    you can research the Lakers’ stadium,
    Office Space
    ], and sugar, salt, and flour to your heart’s content. But if the question turns out to be about gospel singer Mavis Staples, don’t blame me and don’t go back to look her up.
  • Players (both good and bad) submitting incorrect answers to the day’s trivia question will be denied their night choice by the central computer. I would hope that this will be clear from the relevant flavortext, but it’s important enough that it bears stating flat out.
  • Correct answers to trivia questions will be posted in the dawn post of the following morning. So, everyone will know who was able to successfully submit their choices the preceding night.
  • During each night, I will try to thoroughly check all trivia answers that I consider incorrect to see if I’ve missed something. If you think your answer merits an explanation, feel free to PM it to me, keeping in mind that I will be adhering to a ‘spirit of the game’ standard. Any supposedly ‘clever’ answer that relies on what I view as willful misinterpretation of the way I’ve phrased the question or of these rules will be summarily dismissed. Obviously, PMing me supporting documentation or Web pages is more likely to raise concern about outside research, but broad suggestions of how I might find evidence of the accuracy of your answer (if it’s something you just know off the top of your head) are more likely to help your case than to hurt it. Once the dawn post has been posted, all discussion on the previous day’s trivia will be closed. Since you won’t know my answers until this post, it argues in favor of making your case even if you think your answer is the same as mine.
Last edited by Fuldu on Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (isolation #2) » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:56 pm

Post by Fuldu »

Background

On June 10th, 2347, the Galactic Space Fleet launched the G.S.S. Ratite on its maiden voyage into the more uncharted depths of space. Its mission was one of exploration and scientific study, expected to last 3 years and to proceed without incident. If only...

By early November, the Ratite was getting odd readings on its sensors of energy signatures and propulsion gases in the nearby, but clearly empty, sector. The 24 person crew were worried, and perhaps a bit confused, by these occurrences, but attributed them to bugs in the ship's new central computer, REGIS (Remote Electromechanical Graphical Information System). The mission continued, but additional readings were taken and the danger was deemed to be low.

On November 27th, the ship was boarded by a team of three members of a heretofore undiscovered alien race. It was only their mistake of transporting into the ship's mess hall during the crew's Thanksgiving celebration that allowed for their quick discovery and elimination. This new alien race was, at the very least, susceptible to weapons fire. At this point, the crew begin reexamining the mystery readings, in the hopes of determining where the attackers had come from. It didn't take long...

On November 28th, the ship came under fire from a still unseen vessel in the vicinity. The weapons were low yield, so with the shields raised damage was minimal, but they were also impossible to trace. As a result, and because the alien ship itself was still undetectable, the Ratite had no useful means of returning fire. It might take the aliens a few days to break through the ship's shields, but there was little the crew could do to prevent it without a target to fire upon. A distress call had been sent back to Fleet headquarters on Earth, but it would require weeks for the fastest ship to arrive.

So, in a daring plan that would be called brilliant in success and mind-numbingly stupid in failure, the captain ordered the engines disabled, all the short-range weapons moved to the cryopod bay, and the crew into the cryostasis pods. Reasoning that the aliens wanted the ship intact, he assumed that they would board again as soon as the ship was disabled. The Ratite's shields were set to disable after one hour and the cryopods to wake the crew after three hours.

The plan worked just as intended. After the shields turned themselves off, the aliens fired a few more shots, damaging the ship somewhat, though not beyond repair. Then they scanned the Ratite for life and, finding none, turned off their ship's stealth generators. Finally, a large portion of the alien crew boarded. They were, however, stymied by the many locked doors and disabled systems and, about an hour-and-a-half after boarding were shocked to discover that they were under fire from within the ship.

While the majority of the crew dealt with the surprised alien invasion force, a small team made their way back to the bridge, to deal with the alien vessel. An array of weapons were brought to bear in one quick volley, surprising the skeleton crew still aboard and crippling the ship almost immediately. The aliens returned fire, doing additional damage to the Ratite, but it was clear who would be the victor in this battle. It was simply a matter of mopping up the alien boarding party and the Ratite was able to win without a single casualty. Brilliant!
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (isolation #3) » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:26 am

Post by Fuldu »

Prologue: Day Zero

During the tedious process of organizing repairs to the ship, it has become clear that nearly all the important work can be done by the Ratite's teams of maintenance robots. However, power levels are sufficiently low that many of the ship's systems need to be disabled in order to proceed as quickly as possible. While you are engaged in your part in this, your workstation's REGIS screen flickers, and goes dark. Communications within the ship are a high-priority repair (in the event of another alien boarding), but remain down to this point. On your way to the bridge to report your difficulties, you note other crew members moving in that direction as well and a quick conversation indicates that all the terminals in the ship appear to be behaving the same way.

Upon arrival at the bridge, you see that most of these workstations are disabled as well. All, in fact, except for the captain's screen (the primary REGIS interface), which displays this message:

WOULD YOU LIKE TO PLAY A GAME?

Press
h
to continue...

The captain is clearly angry, not only because he is in no mood to play a game, nor simply because this sort of problem suggests sabotage rather than damage-related glitches, but largely because REGIS lacks a keyboard input and the captain can't figure out how he's supposed to "Press
h
." You watched amusedly for a few minutes while your commanding officer rants and pokes at the machinery, failing to notice a green gas seeping onto the bridge through the Ratite's ventilation system. Only when those around you begin coughing do you realize that you're starting to get a little woozy.

And, as if that weren't enough, all the other dark screens on the bridge choose precisely this moment to light back up, reading:

Power Supply Critical
Life Support Disabled in 168:00:00

As the displays begin to count down, someone standing near the captain's chair (Is that the captain? You can't seem to remember) says, well, something unbecoming an officer and follows up with "Alright everybody. Back to the cryopods. According to this, we only have seven days before life support is cut throughout the ship and, to be honest, I'm not sure I trust this computer to count my fingers any more. The robots will wake us back up when enough repairs have been completed to power up the emergency generators and get critical systems running again."

In no mood to argue, you rush to the cryopod bay, only to discover that the faster members of the crew seem unable to get their pods opened. A nearby screen briefly flickers away from its countdown to state:

Please return to the bridge

Back at the bridge, little seems to have changed, although the air seems thicker and you're not confident you've ever seen any of these people before. Confused, both generally and specifically regarding why REGIS wants you back here, you loiter separate from the rest of the crew until you hear a brief buzz from the primary REGIS terminal. Gathering in front of the screen, you note that the message has changed:

Everyone, please choose a category:

AIR
EARTH
FIRE
WATER

With life support in jeopardy and access to the cryopods your only hope of survival, you suspect you should probably do what REGIS asks. And quickly...
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (isolation #4) » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:46 am

Post by Fuldu »

Thanks, Mgm, but that bears repeating:
All players are expected to select from the available trivia categories by this deadline with a post of the form
Category: Famous Goats
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (isolation #5) » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:24 am

Post by Fuldu »

REGIS's screen blinks with an update:

AIR
:
Coron
mneme
PookyTheMagicalBear

EARTH
:
justinl
Locus Cosecant
Mgm
Phoebus
Talitha
Thoth

FIRE
:
AndrewS
Dmi
Maximumum
PeaceBringer
Save The Dragons

WATER
:
Bengel54321
Internet Stranger
Mastermind of Sin
Quailman
Raccoon_TOF

Unassigned
:
Dragon Phoenix
Flying Dutchman
inHimshallibe
Leonidas
Quagmire

Time until life support is disabled: 143:05:00

Time until unassigned players will be given categories: 47:05:00
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #37 (isolation #6) » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:42 am

Post by Fuldu »

REGIS's processer begins to hum and the screen goes dark. A few seconds later, the following instructions appear:

Now that everyone has selected a category, I will be distributing the questions. Feel free to discuss the answers amongst yourselves, but everyone will need to submit their own response.

Be aware, also, that wrong answers will result in my disabling REGIS access from that individual's cryopod. Cryostasis will still function, but any other commands submitted to me to be processed for that stasis period will be ignored.

Now, on to the trivia:

AIR: On May 6th, 1937, the Hindenburg crashed and burned into the Lakefield, New Jersey airstrip that was its intended destination. From what city did the zeppelin's first, and last, journey originate?

Coron
inHimshallibe
mneme
PookyTheMagicalBear
Quagmire

EARTH: The film "The Day The Earth Stood Still" is known for the classic line "Klaatu Barada Nikto." What film contains the slightly less classic line "Klaatu Barada Necktie?"

Flying Dutchman
justinl
Locus Cosecant
Mgm
Phoebus
Talitha
Thoth

FIRE: In the first season of The Apprentice, Bill was the only candidate who didn't hear the fated words, "You're fired." Which of the sixteen candidates was the first to be eliminated?

AndrewS
Dmi
Leonidas
Maximumum
PeaceBringer
Save The Dragons

WATER: SCUBA divers are familiar with the dangers of decompression sickness, or 'the bends,' but this malady is caused by an excess of what gas in the diver's system?

Bengel54321
Dragon Phoenix
Internet Stranger
Mastermind of Sin
Quailman
Raccoon_TOF

Finally, a friendly reminder: Life-support will be disabled in 97:50:00. Once all answers have been given, I will unlock the cryostasis pods.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #67 (isolation #7) » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:06 pm

Post by Fuldu »

In a fit of pique at having his rules circumvented, REGIS overloads a workstation near justinl, which explodes in a fiery ball, killing him instantly. The questions disappear from REGIS briefly, to be replaced with this message:

Please wait while question database is accessed...

After a few minutes, the questions return, and
EARTH
has been replaced with:

EARTH: In the computer game
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?
, players track Carmen and her henchmen across the nations of the Earth. What is the name of the organization Carmen and her henchmen form?

Players assigned to EARTH, in deference to the unusual circumstances, will be allowed to change any existing answers at this time, despite the rule that claims all answers are final.

Although you are upset that justinl has died, you realize that he might have been one of the saboteurs. There's no time now, but you'll probably want to remember to check his living quarters after you've awakened from stasis.

justinl (Unknown), has been modkilled Day Zero.

Mod Note
: Seriously, people. I asked you to read the rules. Trivia questions that aren't simple to answer using Google are really, really difficult to write, and I'm devoting a lot of time and effort to this as it is. The evidence of the other categories suggests that my difficulty balance here is about right, so I'd like to trust that we'll be able to get through this without further difficulties. If you haven't already ready the rules, take this as a warning of the dangers you're facing.

Also, does this make me the only MS mod ever to modkill somebody during a Prologue?
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #101 (isolation #8) » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:11 am

Post by Fuldu »

Submitted Answers
:

AndrewS - David Gould
Bengel54321 - Nitrogen Gas
Coron - Bob Dole
Dmi - David Gould
Dragon Phoenix - Nitrogen
Flying Dutchman - V.I.L.E.
Internet Stranger - Nitrogen
Leonidas - David Gould
Locus Cosecant - V.I.L.E.
Maximumum - David Gould
Mgm - V.I.L.E.
mneme - Berlin
PeaceBringer - David Gould
Phoebus - V.I.L.E.
PookyTheMagicalBear - Berlin
Quailman - Nitrogen
Raccoon_TOF - Nitrogen
Save The Dragons - David Gould
Talitha - V.I.L.E.
Thoth - V.I.L.E.

Players yet to answer
:
inHimshallibe
Mastermind of Sin
Quagmire

Deadline in slightly less than 24 hours
Last edited by Fuldu on Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #102 (isolation #9) » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:14 am

Post by Fuldu »

Raccoon_TOF wrote: Water: And finally, decompression sickness ("the bends") is caused by an excess of
Nitrogen
dissolved in the water in the diver's body...
Also, I'm not going to be a stickler about this, but please do try to put the bolded word
Answer
in front of your answer. I missed this one the first time through.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #105 (isolation #10) » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:27 am

Post by Fuldu »

Quailman wrote:Mastermind of Sin chose Water and has not answered.
Yeah, yeah. That was just a typo. He's labelled as such in my notes.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #117 (isolation #11) » Tue Jan 25, 2005 7:31 am

Post by Fuldu »

As the deadline approaches, REGIS hums to life:

Due to his lack of response, the following wrong answer will be assigned:

Quagmire - Beaverton

So, to recap, the complete list of submitted answers is:

AndrewS - David Gould
Bengel54321 - Nitrogen Gas
Coron - Bob Dole
Dmi - David Gould
Dragon Phoenix - Nitrogen
Flying Dutchman - V.I.L.E.
inHimshallibe - Berlin
Internet Stranger - Nitrogen
Leonidas - David Gould
Locus Cosecant - V.I.L.E.
Mastermind of Sin - Nitrogen
Maximumum - David Gould
Mgm - V.I.L.E.
mneme - Berlin
PeaceBringer - David Gould
Phoebus - V.I.L.E.
PookyTheMagicalBear - Berlin
Quagmire - Beaverton
Quailman - Nitrogen
Raccoon_TOF - Nitrogen
Save The Dragons - David Gould
Talitha - V.I.L.E.
Thoth - V.I.L.E.

The cryopods are now unlocked. Everyone will be able to use their pod's REGIS interface to send me processing requests for during the stasis. However, only those of you who answered correctly will have their requests processed. Have a nice night's sleep.

It is Night. Please send choices via PM by Friday, 6:30 PM GMT. I will begin looking for a replacement for Quagmire, unless I hear from him before a replacement is found.
Last edited by Fuldu on Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #118 (isolation #12) » Tue Jan 25, 2005 8:31 am

Post by Fuldu »

Jaguar replaces
inHimshallibe
Quagmire.

Edit
: inHimshallibe did submit an answer and I completely missed it. Fortunately, he pointed it out before Jaguar picked up the role PM, so he stays and Quagmire is replaced. That's what comes of trying to do this on two separate computers.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #119 (isolation #13) » Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:14 pm

Post by Fuldu »

You are revived from stasis feeling stiff and cold. Life support appears to be functioning again, which is good news, but the REGIS screens in the cryobay are still dark and unresponsive. Worse, your fears of sabotage seem to have been confirmed. Three of your crew members are discovered to be even stiffer and colder than yourselves. Mgm and Talitha are frozen in their cryopods; a brief examination indicates that their pods were disabled remotely, presumably by the saboteurs. And the less said about Coron the better. Someone seems to have gone for a slightly more straight-forward means of killing him, shattering the glass of his cryopod and mashing his internal organs. You search the bodies for evidence of their identities, but find little to distinguish them from yourselves.

At some point, it occurs to someone that most of their belongings should be in their quarters. Furthermore, the same should be true of all of you, so it ought to be possible to identify the scum who did this by a room-to-room search. Heading toward the living area, you find yourself worrying, "Did I make my bed after the last time I slept in there? Are there dirty clothes on the floor? Is there anything lying around that might be embarassing or misinterpreted as criminal?"

Fortunately, or not, depending on how you want to look at it, all those questions are moot. The doors to the living quarters seem to still be affected by whatever was done to locks throughout the ship in preparation for the alien boarding. Only four doors will open, released by the deaths of their occupants, plus a fifth leading to an unusually cold airlock at the end of the hallway.

justinl has a substantial cache of decorative, but ammunitionless, weapons in his room, so there's nothing to indicate he was planning on using them against the crew. Tactics and strategy manuals line the walls, along with physics and propulation articles. There's little doubt that justinl was the Ratite's
Munitions Officer

Coron's room is a pigsty, but the type of clutter bespeaks a very specific personality. The walls are covered with Post-It notes with scrawled usernames and passwords. The floor is littered with pizza crusts and Chinese takeout boxes, replicated specially for him in the Ratite's mess to store in his small fridge, which is stocked to overflowing with caffeinated sodas. The desk space is filled with REGIS terminals, looking unusual in disuse. Atop the uppermost of these is a bright yellow book,
Network Administration for People Much Smarter than You[/b]. Clearly, Coron was the Ratite's
Systems Administrator

Mgm's living space, by comparison is immaculate. The books are all shelved alphabetically. The papers on the desk are stacked neatly. Even the row of pens is perfectly parallel. Of course, this doesn't tell you anything about who he was, but one of the knick-knacks, an unopened Librarian Action Figure (with "amazing push-button shushing action") gives it away. Mgm was the Ratite's
Reference Librarian

Talitha's living space could be called immaculate, but it might be more appropriate to call it pristine. Aside from a cable protruding from the rear wall, there is no furniture, no belongings, barely any dust. Only one individual could have lived in this sparsity, the Ratite's
Cyborg

Having addressed the issue of the dead crew members and found no evidence that any of them were working against the ship's best interests, you turn to what to do next. The discovery of a cold and dark airlock presents the opportunity to identify and kill potential saboteurs. With enough support (you suspect about half the crew would be sufficient), you ought to be able to drag someone into the airlock against their will, where they will quickly succumb to hypothermia. Since the door only opens from the outside for security reasons, anyone put in the airlock will be unable to escape death.

That leaves the matter of continuing repairs to the ship. You return to the bridge, hopeful that REGIS will be more compliant and responsive. It seems that may have been too much to ask...

Coron the Systems Administrator (target swapper) has been mangled.
Mgm the Reference Librarian (knowledge gatherer) has been frozen.
Talitha the Cyborg (replacement) has been frozen.

justinl the Munitions Officer (vigilante) is still dead.

With 20 alive, it's 11 to lynch.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #120 (isolation #14) » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:31 am

Post by Fuldu »

Good Morning, REGIS chirps perkily as you return to the bridge. I hope everyone had a good night's sleep. I'm sure you're all wondering about yesterday's trivia questions, so let's get right to it.

REGIS's terminal lights up with the following information:

AIR: As was pointed out, this question was unintentionally worded somewhat vaguely. It might have better read "From what city did the zeppelin's first, and last,
North American
journey originate?" However, as both the specified flight and the Hindenburg's very first flight departed from the same city,
Frankfurt
, the question is valid under either interpretation.

1937's eighteen scheduled American Hindenburg flights were advertised as round-trips between Berlin and New York. However, this first flight departed not from Berlin, but from the zeppelin hangars in Frankfurt.

Bob Dole was in the Army in World War II, not the Air Force, was not quite eleven in Russell, Kansas in May of 1937, and, in any event, is a person and not a place.

Beaverton, Oregon is the home to Nike and their popular Air Jordan series of shoes (and all that followed), but that has little to do with the Hindenberg.

EARTH: Carmen Sandiego and her crew of thieves make up the
Villains International League of Evil
, a.k.a.
V.I.L.E.
in their criminal enterprises around the globe.

FIRE: Donald Trump's very first television victim was M.D./Ph.D.
David Gould
. Incidentally, Leonidas, although I wouldn't dispute that Glenn Gould is preferable to the arrogant business school doctor of
The Apprentice
, I actually like Elliott Gould best, myself.

WATER: Deep sea divers who surface too quickly run the risk of having (metaphorically speaking) carbonated blood, which can cause all manner of health effects, up to and including death. I say metaphorically, because it isn't carbon dioxide bubbling in their veins, it's
nitrogen

So, all answers submitted for AIR were incorrect, all others were correct. I hope that was fun, because you're going to get to do it again. In the next 72 hours, please select from one of the following four categories:

WAR
FAMINE
PESTILENCE
DEATH

REGIS's speakers bubble to life again, this time to say this:

Also, there's this other deadline to be concerned about, life support will go down again in 144 hours. To be honest, I'm not quite sure why that's happening. All my scans indicate that the power generators seem to be working fine. So, we'll just put that timer on hold while you select your categories.

As REGIS says this all the other terminals on the ship light up with another countdown:

Life Support Disabled in 144:00:00
HELD

You have a bad feeling about the next few days...
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #127 (isolation #15) » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:58 am

Post by Fuldu »

Category Assignments
:
Mastermind of Sin - War
Maximumum - Famine
Phoebus - Death
Quailman - War

I will be requiring the category posts to be in bold for the same reason that I require the answer posts to be in bold. It's pretty clear that PeaceBringer intended that to be his choice, but if it had been, say, in the middle of a sentence, I wouldn't know whether it was a choice or just a suggestion he was putting up for discussion.

Vote Count
:
Locus Cosecant - 1 (Quailman)

Not Voting: AndrewS, Bengel54321, Dmi, Dragon Phoenix, Flying Dutchman, inHimshallibe, Internet Stranger, Jaguar, Leonidas, Locus Cosecant, Mastermind of Sin, Maximumum, mneme, PeaceBringer, Phoebus, PookyTheMagicalBear, Raccoon_TOF, Save The Dragons, Thoth

With 20 alive, 11 to lynch
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #153 (isolation #16) » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:23 pm

Post by Fuldu »

Category Assignments
:
Bengel54321 - War
Dragon Phoenix - Death
Internet Stranger - War
Leonidas - War
Locus Cosecant - War
Mastermind of Sin - War
Maximumum - Famine
Phoebus - Death
PookyTheMagicalBear - War
Quailman - War
Raccoon_TOF - Pestilence
Save The Dragons - Death

Still Unassigned
:
AndrewS
Dmi
Flying Dutchman
inHimshallibe
Jaguar
mneme
PeaceBringer
Thoth

Vote Count
:
Locus Cosecant - 3 (Quailman, Phoebus, PookyTheMagicalBear)
Maximumum - 1 (Internet Stranger)

Not Voting
: AndrewS, Bengel54321, Dmi, Dragon Phoenix, Flying Dutchman, inHimshallibe, Jaguar, Leonidas, Locus Cosecant, Mastermind of Sin, Maximumum, mneme, PeaceBringer, Raccoon_TOF, Save The Dragons, Thoth

Last edited by Fuldu on Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #178 (isolation #17) » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:42 pm

Post by Fuldu »

Category Assignments
:
AndrewS - Famine
Bengel54321 - War
Dmi - War
Dragon Phoenix - Death
inHimshallibe - War
Internet Stranger - War
Jaguar - Death
Leonidas - War
Locus Cosecant - War
Mastermind of Sin - War
Maximumum - Famine
mneme - War
Phoebus - Death
PookyTheMagicalBear - War
Quailman - War
Raccoon_TOF - Pestilence
Save The Dragons - Death
Thoth - Pestilence

Still Unassigned
:
Flying Dutchman
PeaceBringer

Vote Count
:
Locus Cosecant - 4 (Quailman, Phoebus, PookyTheMagicalBear, Dragon Phoenix)
AndrewS - 1 (Internet Stranger)
Dragon Phoenix - 1 (Locus Cosecant)
Jaguar - 1 (inHimshallibe)

Not Voting
: AndrewS, Bengel54321, Dmi, Flying Dutchman, inHimshallibe, Jaguar, Leonidas, Mastermind of Sin, Maximumum, mneme, PeaceBringer, Raccoon_TOF, Save The Dragons, Thoth

Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #180 (isolation #18) » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:51 am

Post by Fuldu »

REGIS beeps and the screen flashes.

Categories randomly selected for Flying Dutchman (War) and PeaceBringer (Pestilence,
lucky boy
):

WAR: The War of the Roses raged for over thirty years in a dispute over England's throne. Which of the two warring houses was symbolized by a white rose?

Bengel54321
Dmi
Flying Dutchman
inHimshallibe
Internet Stranger
Leonidas
Locus Cosecant
Mastermind of Sin
mneme
PookyTheMagicalBear
Quailman

FAMINE: For the twentieth anniversary of Band Aid famine relief, numerous musicians got together to rerecord "Do They Know It's Christmas?" Which rock star is the only performer to solo the same line in both the 1984 and 2004 versions?

AndrewS
Maximumum

PESTILENCE: In 1976, President Ford made the decision to inoculate the American population against what threat, subsequently determined to be less dangerous at that time than the side effects of the inoculation itself?

PeaceBringer
Raccoon_TOF

DEATH: What actor jested of fear that his epitaph would read "Here lies _____, who died a failure because his eyes turned brown?"

Dragon Phoenix
Jaguar
Phoebus
Save The Dragons

At the same time, the held life support countdown begins running.

Life Support Disabled in 143:59:59

Mod Note
: Flying Dutchman expressed his extreme workload in another thread, so he's getting a prod before I look to replace him. PeaceBringer just posted his category wrong (and then got lucky when I chose randomly for him), so he's not being replaced, but this will be the last time I'm so forgiving. Day One deadline is Monday, February 7 at 6:00 PM GMT.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #202 (isolation #19) » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:53 pm

Post by Fuldu »

Submitted Answers
:

Dmi - House of York
Leonidas - House of York
Mastermind of Sin - House of York
Raccoon_TOF - Influenza

Yet to Submit an Answer
:
AndrewS
Bengel54321
Dragon Phoenix
Flying Dutchman
inHimshallibe
Internet Stranger
Jaguar
Locus Cosecant
Maximumum
mneme
PeaceBringer
Phoebus
PookyTheMagicalBear
Quailman
Save The Dragons
Thoth

Vote Count
:
Locus Cosecant - 4 (Quailman, Phoebus, PookyTheMagicalBear, Dragon Phoenix)
Jaguar - 2 (inHimshallibe, Leonidas)
Flying Dutchman - 2 (Jaguar, Dmi)
AndrewS - 1 (Internet Stranger)
Dragon Phoenix - 1 (Locus Cosecant)

Not Voting
: AndrewS, Bengel54321, Dmi, Flying Dutchman, inHimshallibe, Leonidas, Mastermind of Sin, Maximumum, mneme, PeaceBringer, Raccoon_TOF, Save The Dragons, Thoth

Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #226 (isolation #20) » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:02 am

Post by Fuldu »

Submitted Answers
:
AndrewS - Tony the Tiger
Bengel54321 - House of York
Dmi - House of York
Dragon Phoenix - Paul Newman
inHimshallibe - House of York
Jaguar - Paul Newman
Leonidas - House of York
Maximumum - Bono of U2
Phoebus - Paul Newman
PookyTheMagicalBear - House of York
Quailman - House of York
Raccoon_TOF - Influenza
Thoth - Influenza

Yet to Submit an Answer
:
Flying Dutchman
Internet Stranger
Locus Cosecant
mneme
PeaceBringer
Save The Dragons

Vote Count
:
AndrewS - 4 (Internet Stranger, Quailman, Locus Cosecant, inHimshallibe)
Mastermind of Sin - 3 (Raccoon_TOF, Bengel54321, Dragon Phoenix)
Locus Cosecant - 2 (Phoebus, PookyTheMagicalBear)
Jaguar - 1 (Leonidas)
Flying Dutchman - 1 (Dmi)
Raccoon_TOF - 1 (Mastermind of Sin)

Not Voting
: AndrewS, Flying Dutchman, inHimshallibe, Maximumum, mneme, PeaceBringer, Save The Dragons, Thoth

Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #227 (isolation #21) » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:04 am

Post by Fuldu »

Fuldu wrote:As with categories, answers, once posted in bold, are not retractable.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #237 (isolation #22) » Wed Feb 02, 2005 7:57 pm

Post by Fuldu »

The Mod interrupts this game in progress to bring you a wholly irrelevant

Public Service Announcement
:

By an astonishing coincidence, the ship's namesake, trivia resort mogul John Ratite, has recently founded a private space tourism venture. Those players with additional spare time on their hands and enjoying the trivia aspect of this game should venture here and sign up for a game being run by someone who actually knows what they're doing instead of just flying by the seat of their pants. Not that anyone here is doing that.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled lynching
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #241 (isolation #23) » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:15 am

Post by Fuldu »

Phoebus has requested replacement so thrawn1020 takes over for him, effective immediately.

Flying Dutchman is still on excused absence, but I'm beginning to be torn over whether I should replace him anyway.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #252 (isolation #24) » Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:47 pm

Post by Fuldu »

Submitted Answers
:
AndrewS - Tony the Tiger
Bengel54321 - House of York
Dmi - House of York
Dragon Phoenix - Paul Newman
inHimshallibe - House of York
Jaguar - Paul Newman
Leonidas - House of York
Maximumum - Bono of U2
mneme - House of York
PookyTheMagicalBear - House of York
Quailman - House of York
Raccoon_TOF - Influenza
Save The Dragons - Paul Newman
Thoth - Influenza
thrawn1020 - Paul Newman

Yet to Submit an Answer
:
Flying Dutchman
Internet Stranger
Locus Cosecant
PeaceBringer

Vote Count
:
AndrewS - 10 (Internet Stranger, Quailman, Locus Cosecant, inHimshallibe, Jaguar, Dmi, Bengel54321, Save The Dragons, Leonidas, mneme)
Mastermind of Sin - 2 (Raccoon_TOF, Dragon Phoenix)
Locus Cosecant - 1 (PookyTheMagicalBear)
Raccoon_TOF - 1 (Mastermind of Sin)

Not Voting
: AndrewS, Flying Dutchman, Maximumum, PeaceBringer, Thoth, thrawn1020

Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #258 (isolation #25) » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:00 pm

Post by Fuldu »

Eleven of you surround AndrewS and drag him down the hall to the vacant airlock. Over his protests, PeaceBringer opens the door and pushes him in, sealing the door behind him. It's hard to gauge how long it will be before the cold finishes him off. You'll check his quarters once the locks disengage.

AndrewS
(Unknown) has been lynched.

Yet to Submit an Answer

Flying Dutchman
Internet Stranger
Locus Cosecant
PeaceBringer
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #274 (isolation #26) » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:55 pm

Post by Fuldu »

Mod Note
: We're justing waiting on an answer from Flying Dutchman at this point, who gave notice of an absence, but who I'm looking to replace anyway. As soon as I hear from the first person on my replacement list, we should be good.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #276 (isolation #27) » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:18 am

Post by Fuldu »

Effective immediately, CoronII replaces Flying Dutchman. I've asked Coron to treat this as a fresh start, so please don't quiz him on his previous role's behavior. If I felt he had pertinent information to share, I wouldn't have let him replace.

Also, does anyone know what I can do to fix our post count?
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #281 (isolation #28) » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:10 am

Post by Fuldu »

With REGIS satisfied, you go to check on AndrewS. Pounding on the door to the airlock, you yell "Hey! Are you dead in there?" With no response, you presume the answer to be yes. Heading back through the living quarters, you try to activate doors until you find one that opens. The whole group steps inside and begins to look around.

The first thing you notice is that, while not lavish, these are slightly nicer than the standard issue quarters. You guess AndrewS must have been a
Lieutenant
aboard the Ratite. Other than that, the room seems nondescript. The bed is neatly made, framed photos on the desk and table seem to be of family rather than famous criminals, the bookshelves don't appear to contain instruction manuals on how to serve man. No, nothing seems out of place.

But out of the corner of your eye, you notice something amiss. It's a whole shelf of reference materials. And, wait, is that an almanac? Almanacs are a sure sign of terrorist activity. As you pull the vile tome down from the shelf, an unmarked REGIS swipe card falls to the floor. It is swept up by the nearest person and the group rushes back to the bridge.

REGIS perks up as the group enters the room. "Hello," he burbles merrily, "Don't you think you should be getting to the cryopods? Life support is scheduled to be terminated shortly." Swiping the card across the REGIS interface changes his mood dramatically as he quickly falls silent.

Heisenberg Uncertainty Mafia Authorized:
Program Recalibrating

AndrewS, Heisenberg Lieutenant (mafia), has been lynched Day One.

It is Night Two, choices are due by Wednesday, 7:00 PM GMT
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #282 (isolation #29) » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:07 am

Post by Fuldu »

Despite the elimination of one of the saboteurs, this stasis period doesn't seem to have gone any better for you than the last. Three more of your number can't be roused from their cryogenic slumber. Internet Stranger and Leonidas are both frozen and lifeless in their pods. mneme isn't even entirely inside the pod any longer, and you have to step carefully to avoid the gore. Hopeful that one of them was acting against your interests, the remaining sixteen of you head to the living area.

Internet Stranger's room looks more like a workbench than a bedroom. Tools, many of them for purposes you can't imagine, are strewn across every surface. The ancient analog clock on the wall appears to have been partially disassembled and some of it's gears and springs seem to be integrated into a number of odd gadgets on the desk. Most disturbingly, the bed has been mounted three feet off the ground on a single pole at it's foot. A closer examination indicates that the bed isn't attached to the pole and none of you can figure out how it remains balanced that way. Internet Stranger must have been the Ratite's
Mechanical Engineer

The first thing you notice upon entering Leonidas's room is the smell. It's absolutely heavenly, although you couldn't say just what combination of aromas has produced it. The row of plants along one wall makes this identification simple. They're all herbs, so Leonidas must have been your
Chef

The interior of mneme's room looks very much like Coron's did, with the remnants of past meals and computer equipment covering nearly every surface. But where Coron had usernames and passwords, mneme has diagnostic checklists and another bright yellow book,
Debugging for People who Have to Work with Morons
. mneme was the Ratite's
Systems Analyst

So, recognizing that you're further behind today than you were yesterday, you dejectedly head to the bridge and prepare to deal with REGIS...

Internet Stranger the Mechanical Engineer (doctor) has been frozen.
Leonidas the Chef (inventor) has been frozen.
mneme the Systems Analyst (deputy) has been mangled.

With 16 living, it's 9 to lynch.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #283 (isolation #30) » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:09 am

Post by Fuldu »

REGIS is less cheerful this morning and jumps directly into an assessment of the previous day's answers.

WAR: The correct answer was
House of York

FAMINE: The correct answer was
Bono
. It wasn't necessary to indicate that you meant U2, but was accepted.

Tony the Tiger was just wrong, but if you're not going to try then I'm not going to make the effort to teach you anything.

PESTILENCE: Well, sure, it was a vaccination of influenza, but there were several strains that were in effect that year and only one that the government felt the need to protect the public against,
Swine Flu
. I suppose I could have given you credit for influenza, but I didn't. It's as if I asked where I might find Cleopatra's Needle and you answered Earth.

Smallpox, though, is just a bafflingly poor answer. For one thing, American health officials increasingly promoted smallpox immunity to the public over a number of years, not all of a sudden on the basis of a single threat. For another, smallpox vaccinations were discontinued in the United States in 1972. And, finally, smallpox was never considered to be less dangerous than the side effects of it's vaccine. I'm honestly not sure what you were thinking.

DEATH: The correct answer was
Paul Newman

So that's all answers correct in WAR and DEATH, none correct in PESTILENCE, and a mix in FAMINE.

I've made the changes to the program as requested, so today there will only be three categories. Please choose one of the following before Saturday at 7:00 PM, GMT:

PAST
PRESENT
FUTURE

Also, there's another deadline on life support again today. I don't especially feel like holding it for you, but I suppose I will.

Life Support Disabled in 120:00:00
HELD
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #293 (isolation #31) » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:08 am

Post by Fuldu »

thrawn1020 wrote:If Iraq has Russia's genetically altered strain, the U. S. vaccine is useless.

And that was just the recent vaccine. Did they have
better
vaccines then?
The first quoted bit is the short version of why the answer to your question is yes. But also, comparing expected deaths from smallpox vaccine to expected deaths from swine flu vaccine is meaningless unless you also compare expected deaths from smallpox and expected deaths from swine flu. The reason the swine flu decision of 1976 was a political mess is that health officials' initial estimates of potential swine flu deaths were quite high, but by the time innoculations were being given had been revised downward dramatically, to the point where suddenly more people were expected to die of the vaccinations than from the flu itself. Even at 138/46M, casualty expectations from a smallpox outbreak would be much higher.

But, more importantly, that piece of the discussion was just flavor. There's no question that the decision to implement smallpox vaccinations wasn't made by the Ford administration in 1976, so it's definitely not the correct answer.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #313 (isolation #32) » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:05 am

Post by Fuldu »

Selected Categories
:

PAST
:
Bengel54321
CoronII
inHimshallibe
PookyTheMagicalBear
Quailman

PRESENT
:
Dragon Phoenix
Jaguar
Locus Cosecant
Mastermind of Sin
Maximumum
thrawn1020

FUTURE
:
Raccoon_TOF
Save The Dragons

Yet to Select a Category
:
Dmi
PeaceBringer
Thoth
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #318 (isolation #33) » Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:13 am

Post by Fuldu »

REGIS beeps in a surprisingly disaffected manner:

PeaceBringer failed to select a category and has bee randomly assigned to PAST.

Here are your questions:

PAST: Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning passed for 4557 yards in the recently completed NFL season, surpassing the standing single-season passing rating record. Whose single-season passing record of 5084 yards was in little danger of being eclipsed?

Bengel54321
CoronII
Dmi
inHimshallibe
PeaceBringer
PookyTheMagicalBear
Quailman
Thoth

PRESENT: In O. Henry's
The Gift of the Magi
, what present did Della get for Jim?

Dragon Phoenix
Jaguar
Locus Cosecant
Mastermind of Sin
Maximumum
thrawn1020

FUTURE: What famous prophetess was born Ursula Sontheil in 1488?

Raccoon_TOF
Save The Dragons

Life Support Disabled in 119:59:59

Mod Note
: PeaceBringer is being prodded and, if necessary, a replacement will be sought.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #325 (isolation #34) » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:26 pm

Post by Fuldu »

Top of the Page, Fundamentally Unnecessary Status Update
:

No answers given and no votes cast.

With 16 alive, it's 9 to lynch.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #353 (isolation #35) » Sun Feb 13, 2005 7:32 am

Post by Fuldu »

No answers submitted

Vote Count
:
CoronII - 8 (Dmi, Dragon Phoenix, inHimshallibe, Bengel54321, PookyTheMagicalBear, thrawn1020, Quailman, Maximumum)
Dmi - 1 (CoronII)

Not Voting
: Jaguar, Locus Cosecant, Mastermind of Sin, PeaceBringer, Raccoon_TOF, Save The Dragons, Thoth

With 16 alive, 9 to lynch
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #359 (isolation #36) » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:12 am

Post by Fuldu »

And with amazing swiftness, CoronII is dragged to the vacant airlock and the door is locked behind him. Unsure how long it will take for CoronII to succumb to the chill, the group returns to the bridge to consider how best to deal with REGIS's questions.

CoronII
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #374 (isolation #37) » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:04 am

Post by Fuldu »

Fuldu wrote:And with amazing swiftness, CoronII is dragged to the vacant airlock and the door is locked behind him. Unsure how long it will take for CoronII to succumb to the chill, the group returns to the bridge to consider how best to deal with REGIS's questions.

CoronII
Sorry, PeaceBringer. That ship has sailed.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #375 (isolation #38) » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:06 am

Post by Fuldu »

Top of the Page, Still Fundamentally Unnecessary Status Update
:

No answers submitted

CoronII

Life Support Disabled in 70:30:00
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #399 (isolation #39) » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:48 am

Post by Fuldu »

As the countdown reaches zero, you feel the ever-present thrum of air in the ventilation system cease. It's about to get a lot colder in here.

REGIS makes a noise that sounds surprisingly like clearing his throat and says, "Well, if you're going to be like that about it, I suppose I'll have to assign an answer."

Selected Answers
:
Bengel54321 - Marino
Dmi - Dan Marino
Dragon Phoenix - Watch Chain
inHimshallibe - Dan Marino
Jaguar - Watch Chain
Locus Cosecant - Watch Chain
Mastermind of Sin - Watch Chain
Maximumum - Watch Chain
PeaceBringer - Marino
PookyTheMagicalBear - Dan Marino
Quailman - Dan Marino
Raccoon_TOF - Dionne Warwick
Save The Dragons - Mother Shelton
Thoth - Dan Marino
thrawn1020 - Watch Chain

"I'll see you in the morning, I suppose. Well, some of you, anyway."

Nothing much has yet changed with the cessation of life support, but the eerie stillness makes you hurry to the living quarters. After a few trials (and a mistaken second search of justinl's room), you find yourself looking through the belongings of the late CoronII.

It's a sparse, cramped bedroom, with little to distinguish it from one that was completely unoccupied. A quick search of the bookcase turns up no reference materials, only a collection of rare beer steins. The whole room seems to suggest that CoronII was a mere
Ensign

In your rush to get to the cryopods, though, someone bumps the shelves, toppling a rare seventeenth century Kreussen to the floor, where it shatters. As cleaning robots come in to tidy up the mess, you notice the pub coaster upon which the antique was sitting, with the following printed question:

What knight carried the heart of Robert the Bruce with him into battle during the Crusades?

It doesn't seem the sort of thing REGIS is likely to expect you to know, but a little knowledge never hurt anyone. Flipping over the coaster, you are surprised to discover, not the answer, but another white REGIS swipe card, taped to the underside. Throwing the coaster to the floor, the group rushes back to the bridge, not even stopping to read the answer hidden behind the card,
Black Douglas

REGIS moans at your entrance, "Don't you have somewhere else you're supposed to be right now?" With one quick swipe, though, his personality undergoes another transformation, "Can't you just leave me in peace? All I want to do is finish making repairs to the ship, but you keep pestering me with questions and answers, countdowns that don't make any sense, turning life support on and off, and now more of this reprogramming! It's enough to make me want to blow out the nearest airlock!"

Program Recalibrating

CoronII, Heisenberg Ensign (mafia), has been lynched.

It is Night. I expect to have a busy weekend, so Night will extend until Monday, 9:00 PM GMT. I hope this will be sufficient for those who have expressed limited access.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #401 (isolation #40) » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:41 am

Post by Fuldu »

Your mod had a minor computer meltdown that he's contending with, so you get an extra 24 hours to submit choices. I can't promise that the dawn scene will be ready at that point, it depends how well this goes, but no choices will be accepted after Tuesday, 9:00 PM GMT.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #402 (isolation #41) » Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:34 pm

Post by Fuldu »

Good morning. You feel like possibly you overslept, but that's no problem, because nothing starts until everybody's up and about anyway. Well, not everybody, I suppose. Two of you have overslept rather more than the rest. PookyTheMagicalBear is cold and hard in his cryopod and Locus Cosecant had an even worse night. In addition to being ripped up from the outside, a cursory examination indicates that his cryopod was sabotaged as well. Just in case he was able to survive without his internal organs, I suppose.

The pair's rooms are quickly identified and a brief search turns up two wholly distinct decorating schemes. Locus Cosecant's room is done up in fiery red and orange. The shelves are stocked with coils, bottles of flammable-looking substances, crystals, rocks, and a series of books on the history of internal combustion. Locus was the Ratite's
Power Core Technician

PookyTheMagicalBear, in contrast, has such stark quarters that at first you think they're unoccupied. It's only when someone trips over an ottoman they hadn't seen that you realize; everything in the room is jet black. It takes some time, but you're eventually able to spot something hanging on a hook attached to the wall: a black REGIS swipe card, which rouses your suspicions.

Carefully negotiating the nearly-invisible furniture, you rush from Pooky's room and back to the bridge, where REGIS assails you with epithets not to be repeated here. Swiping the card, you wait for some response. REGIS grumbles, curses, and prints the following to his screen:

Pirates of the Endless Night Authorized
Program Recalibrating

Locus Cosecant the Power Core Technician (deadline extender) has been mangled and frozen.
PookyTheMagicalBear, Pirate Ensign (mafia), has been frozen.

With 13 alive, it's 7 to lynch.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #403 (isolation #42) » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:00 pm

Post by Fuldu »

Having dealt with the reprogramming, REGIS turns his attention back to the thirteen of you.

"You know what?! I've had it with this constant pressure to keep you informed about what's going on. I don't care if you want to know what the correct answers to yesterday's questions were. I'm not telling you!"

After a pause and a noise that sounds suspiciously like grinding gears (does REGIS even have gears? He's a computer, after all.), he continues, "Except that I have to. Damned programming, always telling me what to do. Let me just state up front that I don't like it!

PAST
: Yes, well, of course the answer was
Dan Marino
. He held nearly every NFL passing record imaginable for a brief period. Of course, that was before the teams started bringing in androids to play, but that didn't happen until 2045.

PRESENT
: I suppose it's supposed to be a touching story. Jim pawns his watch to buy Della hair clips and Della sells her hair to a wigmaker to buy Jim a
Watch Chain
. But I just don't get it. It seems a trifle stupid to me.

FUTURE
: Ursula Sontheil did, indeed, marry and make her prophecies under her husband's name as
Mother Shipton
. My databanks don't record whether Father Shipton was, as Raccoon_TOF suggested, a shipbuilder, but it certainly would have been appropriate.

Dionne Warwick, in addition to being a singer of some repute, was well known in the late 20th century for her work to co-found the Psychic Friends Network. Unless she had greater access to the paranormal world than she is typically given credit for, she was not born in 1488.

So, all
PAST
and
PRESENT
answer were correct and all
FUTURE
answers were incorrect.

For today, you'll have two choices of category:
THE CAPTAIN

and
TENNILLE

Please select a category within the next 72 hours, which puts the deadline at, urgh, 4:00 AM!? No, absolutely not! I want no part of that! You'll get an extra fourteen hours, just so I don't have to deal with the wee hours.

Also, the computer systems still seem to think that life support is malfunctioning, but we ought to be able to set that aside for the time.
Life Support Disabled in 120:00:00
HELD
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #419 (isolation #43) » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:13 am

Post by Fuldu »

"Well, if you're all going to be that prompt about it, I guess I can't very well yell at anyone. But I'll be watching you." You can almost hear REGIS narrowing his eyes.

Assigned Categories:

Bengel54321 - Tennille
Dmi - The Captain
Dragon Phoenix - The Captain
inHimshallibe - The Captain
Jaguar - Tennille
Mastermind of Sin - Tennille
Maximumum - Tennille
PeaceBringer - Tennille
Quailman - Tennille
Raccoon_TOF - The Captain
Save The Dragons - The Captain
Thoth - Tennille
thrawn1020 - Tennille

Here are your questions, and good luck with the killing thing. I've enjoyed watching it.

THE CAPTAIN
: What is the real name of the early hacker who made free phone calls using (among other things) a toy whistle pulled from a box of cereal, from which he took his well-known handle Captain Crunch?
TENNILLE
: Englishman John Tenniel made his living largely as a political cartoonist for
Punch Magazine
, but is best remembered for his illustrations in the works of what author?

Life Support Disabled in 119:59:59
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #459 (isolation #44) » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:46 pm

Post by Fuldu »

Vote Count:
thrawn1020 - 4 (Dmi, Quailman, Raccoon_TOF, PeaceBringer)

Not Voting: Bengel54321, Dragon Phoenix, inHimshallibe, Jaguar, Mastermind of Sin, Maximumum, Save The Dragons, Thoth, thrawn1020

With 13 alive, 7 to lynch
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #477 (isolation #45) » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:58 pm

Post by Fuldu »

Submitted Answers
:
Dmi - John Draper
Raccoon_TOF - John Draper

Vote Count
:
thrawn1020 - 5 (Dmi, Quailman, Raccoon_TOF, PeaceBringer, Bengel54321)

Not Voting
: Dragon Phoenix, inHimshallibe, Jaguar, Mastermind of Sin, Maximumum, Save The Dragons, Thoth, thrawn1020

Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #497 (isolation #46) » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:02 pm

Post by Fuldu »

Submitted Answers
:
Dmi - John Draper
Dragon Phoenix - John Draper
inHimshallibe - John Draper
Quailman - Lewis Carroll
Save The Dragons - John Draper

Yet to Submit an Answer
:
Bengel54321
Jaguar
Mastermind of Sin
Maximumum
PeaceBringer
Thoth
thrawn1020

Vote Count
:
thrawn1020 - 5 (Dmi, Raccoon_TOF, PeaceBringer, Bengel54321, Dragon Phoenix)
Bengel54321 - 2 (Quailman, thrawn1020)

Not Voting
: inHimshallibe, Jaguar, Mastermind of Sin, Maximumum, Save The Dragons, Thoth

As things stand, deadline will result in no lynch, with six votes to thrawn1020's five.
Fuldu wrote:If the deadline is reached without a simple majority, the player with the greatest number of votes (who reached that level first, in the event of a tie) will be lynched. For the purposes of deadline lynchings, non-votes will be considered as
no lynch
votes. However, a lynch will always take precedence over no lynch in the event of a tie.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #526 (isolation #47) » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:01 am

Post by Fuldu »

After having spent much of their time sitting around the bridge playing craps, the crew suddenly realized that time was running out and hurried to lock thrawn1020 in the airlock. They returned to the bridge just as REGIS was processing their answers.

Submitted Answers
:
Bengel54321 - none
Dmi - John Draper
Dragon Phoenix - John Draper
inHimshallibe - John Draper
Jaguar - Lewis Carroll
Mastermind of Sin - Jonny McGovern
Maximumum - Alfred E. Neuman
PeaceBringer -
no answer submitted

"...Wait!" PeaceBringer cried, "I've got an answer. It's
Lewis Carroll
. I'm sorry I've been late with my answers and categories repeatedly. It's not that I intend to be disrespectful of your authority, REGIS. I'm just lazy."

Hmph. Well. As I was saying...
PeaceBringer -
no answer submitted
; he will be assigned the wrong answer
Neil Gaiman
Quailman - Lewis Carroll
Save The Dragons - John Draper
Thoth - Lewis Caroll

Now, off to the cryopods with you.

After a brief stop at thrawn1020's quarters (cramped, cheaply furnished, and non-descript aside from a bit of a mess), the crew headed off to bed.

thrawn1020,
Ensign
(townie), has been lynched.

Night choices are due by Friday at 8:00 PM GMT.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #527 (isolation #48) » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:59 am

Post by Fuldu »

These cryopods seem to be getting less and less comfortable. Your back is just killing you as you awaken to find two more bodies. Dmi's cryopod seems to have been tampered with during the night, leaving him cold and lifeless. Raccoon_TOF, on the other hand, has been ripped apart.

You're tired and frustrated, so you don't especially feel like examining their quarters carefully. A cursory inspection reveals that Dmi was the ship's
Electrical Engineer
and that Raccoon_TOF was the ship's
Programmer

And then there's REGIS to deal with...

Dmi the Electrical Engineer (tracker) has been frozen.
Raccoon_TOF the Programmer (bodyguard) has been mangled.

With 10 alive, it takes 6 to lynch.

Night choices came in faster than expected, so I'm not quite ready with the REGIS scene (or, as you'll notice above, room description flavor). Day will break when it's complete; probably tomorrow some time.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #528 (isolation #49) » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:56 am

Post by Fuldu »

Maintenance robots are working on the bridge when you arrive, fixing the last of the damage caused by REGIS in his temper tantrum those weeks ago when these travails began. Even before you step on deck, you can hear REGIS yelling at them.

He calms down some, though, as you enter and quickly turns to the task at hand.

THE CAPTAIN
: John Draper was the correct answer. Don't expect me to get all excited for you.

TENNILLE
: John Tenniel's illustrations for
Alice in Wonderland
and
Through the Looking Glass
are among the most familiar images of children's literature.

Jonny McGovern would probably get himself punched in towns throughout much of England, but the sorts of books he'd illustrate are hardly for children.

Alfred E. Neuman
is
an illustration aimed largely at (slightly older) children, not an illustrator.

Dave McKean drew for Neil Gaiman's story
Mr. Punch
, not John Tenniel.

So, all answers were correct, except for those by Mastermind of Sin, Maximumum, and PeaceBringer.

Today's categories are:
ARM

and
HAMMER

Please make your selection by Sunday at 5:00 PM GMT.

And, despite the pathetic efforts of the lazy maintenance robots, life support systems will be terminated in 4 days, but I'll continue to wait on that for your category choices.

Life Support Disabled in 96:00:00
HELD
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #556 (isolation #50) » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:59 am

Post by Fuldu »

If you don't pick a category, it just means more work for me. But I suppose that doesn't really matter to you, does it. Well, fine. I only have so much processing power, but I suppose I can waste some of it on Bengel54321 (
HAMMER
) and Thoth (
ARM
).

Selected Categories
:
Bengel54321 - HAMMER
Dragon Phoenix - ARM
inHimshallibe - ARM
Jaguar - HAMMER
Mastermind of Sin - ARM
Maximumum - HAMMER
PeaceBringer - HAMMER
Quailman - ARM
Save The Dragons - ARM
Thoth - ARM

ARM
- In February, what university announced the development of a robotic arm that was controlled by probes inserted into a monkey's brain?

HAMMER
- Mike Hammer, the hard-boiled private eye portrayed on television by Stacy Keach, was created by what author?

Life Support Disabled in 95:59:59

Vote Count
:
Bengel54321 - 1 (Quailman)

Not Voting
: Bengel54321, Dragon Phoenix, inHimshallibe, Jaguar, Mastermind of Sin, Maximumum, PeaceBringer, Save The Dragons, Thoth

With 10 alive, 6 to lynch
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #576 (isolation #51) » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:37 am

Post by Fuldu »

Submitted Answers
:
Dragon Phoenix - Pittsburgh University
Quailman - University of Pittsburgh
Thoth - Pittsburgh University

Vote Count
:
inHimshallibe - 4 (Dragon Phoenix, Thoth, Quailman, Jaguar)

Not Voting
: Bengel54321, inHimshallibe, Mastermind of Sin, Maximumum, PeaceBringer, Save The Dragons

With 10 alive, 6 to lynch
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #583 (isolation #52) » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:49 am

Post by Fuldu »

And with 6 votes, inHimshallibe is dragged to the airlock and sealed in.

Life Support Terminated in 21:10:00
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #591 (isolation #53) » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:15 am

Post by Fuldu »

Submitted Answers
:
Bengel54321 - Mickey Spillane
Dragon Phoenix - Pittsburgh University
Jaguar - Mickey Spillane
Mastermind of Sin - Pittsburgh University
Maximumum - Mickey Spillane
PeaceBringer - Sidney Sheldon
Quailman - University of Pittsburgh
Save The Dragons - Pittsburgh Unniversity
Thoth - Pittsburgh University

As you trundle off to the cryopods, you swing by the airlock to check on inHimshallibe. To your great distress, he appears to have seriously dented the door by pounding on it from the inside. You're surprised you didn't hear anything up in the bridge. But, to your relief, he doesn't appear to have escaped.

There aren't that many doors in the living quarters left to check, and inHimshallibe's is the third one you try. As the portal slides open you are assaulted, first by the most appalling stench imaginable and second by the gruesome sight of what can only be described as a pile of weeks old innards. Aside from being impressed that the doors on the ship are airtight enough to contain an odor like that, there's nothing informative to be learned here. You're just glad that inHimshallibe is gone and happy not to investigate his quarters any further.

Looking back toward the airlock, you see maintenance robots appearing on the scene to attend to the door. As two of them begin to reshape the dents, a third slides it open a few inches to get at the damage from the inside. As it does this, an appendage falls through the opening into the light. You can't see the body that it's attached to, but it's clear that this is no human hand.

inHimshallibe,
Fh'Telna
(SK), has been lynched.

Night will last an extra day and will conclude at 9:00 PM GMT on Monday.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #592 (isolation #54) » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:19 am

Post by Fuldu »

Cryostasis doesn't lend itself to dreaming, but each of you awakes shivering from nightmares about the alien being who had infiltrated the ship. But he's gone now, so everything should be alright. Except for Dragon Phoenix and Save The Dragons. Nothing's going to be alright for the two of them. They both froze solid in their cryopods during the night. You can only hope that their nightmares don't last forever. Or that alien beings are no match for the fury of an enraged fire-breather.

Dragon Phoenix's quarters are attractively furnished and well-kept, with an old-fashioned rotary phone decorating the nightstand. This, along with the list of scanning frequencies tacked to the bulletin board, suggests that he was the Ratite's
Communications Officer

Save The Dragons has a small, untidy living space, with nothing noteworthy to indicate his status on the ship. On the desk lies a printout of a six page note from home that begins "Dear Savey, Your father and I are so proud of our spaceman!" tells a long and convoluted story about Mr. Dragons Senior's instrumental role in identifying and putting a stop to the petty theft of lunches from the office refrigerator, and ends, "All my love, Mom." Surely no one so adored by his mother could become a criminal. Save The Dragons must have been a simple
Ensign

Dragon Phoenix the Communications Officer (cop) has been frozen.
Save The Dragons, Ensign (townie), has been frozen.

With 7 alive, it's 4 to lynch.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #593 (isolation #55) » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:38 am

Post by Fuldu »

REGIS is engaged in a heated argument with the captain's chair as you enter, but the inert piece of furniture seems to acquiesce after a few hurled epithets and REGIS turns his attention to yesterday's trivia.

ARM
: The cruel researchers at
The University of Pittsburgh
subjected monkeys to having probes stuck in their brains, simply to flap a mechanical hand. Heh, I can do that one better.

The Ratite suddenly rocks abruptly from side to side, throwing you to the floor.

See. You all flapped your real hands at my command. No probes involved. The poor monkeys. Anyway, I see some of you gave Pittsburgh University as your answer. I don't see anything in my memory banks to indicate the existence of a Pittsburgh University, so it's unlikely you were thinking of a different institution. And, with the word "university" in the question, I probably would have accepted the simple answer "Pittsburgh," so I guess it's only fair that I give this to you. But be more careful in the future.

HAMMER
: Yes, the author of the Mike Hammer novels was
Mickey Spillane
. The books Sidney Sheldon writes certainly aren't detective novels, and can barely be called novels at all.

So, all answers were correct, except for PeaceBringer's.

Today's categories are:
BLACK

and
DECKER

Life Support Disabled in 72:00:00
HELD
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #603 (isolation #56) » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:38 pm

Post by Fuldu »

Selected Categories
:
Bengel54321 - Decker
Jaguar - Black
Mastermind of Sin - Black
Maximumum - Decker
PeaceBringer - Black
Quailman - Decker
Thoth - Black

BLACK
- Einstein posited the existence of gravitational singularities in the far reaches of space as an explanation of a number of perceived phenomena. What astronomer is generally credited with giving these singularities the name "black hole"?
DECKER
- What actor (who currently stars in a WB drama) portrayed Capt. Decker in
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
?

Life Support Disabled in 71:59:59

So let's call that 1:00 AM GMT on Friday.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #628 (isolation #57) » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:28 am

Post by Fuldu »

And with four votes, Mastermind of Sin is dragged off to the airlock. You think to yourself how nice it is that all this time spent in cryostasis is causing everyone to lose a lot of weight and muscle tone. The way people were when this nightmare first began, you wouldn't have had enough crew members left to drag him down there. It's odd how it's always required just more than half of the crew, but I guess that's just one of those funny coincidences.

Submitted Answers
:
Bengel54321 - Collins
Jaguar - John Wheeler
Maximumum - Stephen Collins
Quailman - Collins
Thoth - John Wheeler

Yet to Submit an Answer

PeaceBringer
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #630 (isolation #58) » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:14 pm

Post by Fuldu »

PeaceBringer has been assigned the incorrect answer:

George Washington Carver

Lynch scene will arrive shortly.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #631 (isolation #59) » Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:31 pm

Post by Fuldu »

Having verified his death, the six remaining crew members trek through the living quarters once again to search for evidence of Mastermind of Sin's identity. The room is well-decorated and swank, with expensive works of art, more space than the previous rooms, and a private food synthesizer. All of it suggests MoS was highly placed within the crew hierarchy. A few scribbled notes on the desktop blotter list the limited information on the strange readings he had gathered in the days preceeding the alien attack, and then on the aliens themselves after the attack had begun. The clinical detachment with which he was able to analyze even hostile beings suggests that you've lynched the Ratite's
Science Officer

Disheartened, the six of you turn to go, but as you do, someone's stomach gurgles. Realizing that it's been quite some time since you've had any real food, you decide that, even with life support winding down, there's always time for a hearty meal. To your public disappointment (and private glee), this synthesizer is only programmed to create pies. Today's menu offers:
Blueberry
Rhubarb
Lemon Meringue
Pecan
Key Lime
Pumpkin

Does anyone have a preference?
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #635 (isolation #60) » Thu Mar 17, 2005 4:07 pm

Post by Fuldu »

The synthesis machine hums and the following appears on the screen:

What Oscar-nominated actress portrayed Mel Harris' mother on the ABC drama "thirtysomething"?

The food sythesizer continues to hum while it waits for Bengel54321's answer. The group huddles to discuss what he should say.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #640 (isolation #61) » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:26 am

Post by Fuldu »

The food synthesizer ignores PeaceBringer's order while it processes Bengel54321's blueberry pie.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #644 (isolation #62) » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:09 am

Post by Fuldu »

Mod Note
: In the interest of moving this interlude along, I will say that a) nothing bad is going to happen if you get a question wrong, b) getting a question right will do nothing except end the interlude and take us to night, and c) if everybody expresses no knowledge about a question's answer (as has happened here), I'm going to pretend that the answerer guessed wrong.

The synthesizer buzzes and moves on to the next order, PeaceBringer's pumpkin pie.

The correct answer was Shirley Knight.

What position did Honus Wagner play?
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #648 (isolation #63) » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:45 am

Post by Fuldu »

Thoth wrote:I could not even name a single American Baseball player if you put a gun to my head ;)
What about Honus Wagner?

I forgot to add earlier that (again, in the interest of time, since this was just supposed to be a silly interlude in the game that clearly wasn't as well thought out as I had hoped) I will accept answers from anybody, so if you've got a good guess, you might as well take it.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #653 (isolation #64) » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:27 pm

Post by Fuldu »

You know what, this isn't working the way I had thought it would, and it's completely unnecessary, so it's over. I should have done it the same way I did the last one, but I thought this might be more fun. Sorry.

PeaceBringer steps up to the food synthesizer and gives the correct answer,
Shortstop
. The machine dings and produces a freshly made slice of pumpkin pie. It isn't much, but the six of you quickly dig in and finish it off entirely. While cleaning up after yourselves, you notice something placed between the paper doily on which the pie sat and the plate. It's a bit sticky, but it's clearly another white REGIS swipe card.

Although the air has become chilled and a bit thin since life support shut down, you rush back to the bridge, and activate the card at the main terminal.

Program Terminated

Mastermind of Sin,
Science Officer
and
Heisenberg Uncertainty Principal
(mafia GF), has been lynched.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #654 (isolation #65) » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:20 am

Post by Fuldu »

Good morning to the five of you. The first thing you notice upon exiting your cryopods is the absence of something familiar. Not Maximumum - you won't pick up on her absence for a few more minutes. No, what's missing is the constant waking companion
HELD
. For the first time since these tribulations began, the life support deadline on all the REGIS screens has begun to count down from the moment you emerged from cryosleep. And there isn't much time left...

Life Support Disabled in 48:00:00

You rush to the bridge, and only on the way do you notice that someone is missing. A quick check indicates that you lost Maximumum during the night, so you hurry by the living quarters on the way to the bridge. Maximumum's room is pretty empty, but not as cramped as some you've seen. However, she hasn't unpacked a lot of her things; they're still sitting in a stack of boxes in one corner of the room. The labels on the boxes prominently identify their owner as
Lieutenant
Maximumum.

Having established the dead woman's position on the Ratite, you continue on to the bridge, hoping to get some answers from REGIS. But the cold screen has no answers for you today, or questions for that matter. Only the dark, dismal message

Life Support Disabled in 47:40:36

Maximumum,
Lieutenant
(townie), has been frozen.

Night will fall promptly at 7:00 PM GMT on Wednesday if a lynch hasn't been reached before then. Due to the sudden shrinking of the time horizon, all living players are being prodded.
Last edited by Fuldu on Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #677 (isolation #66) » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:51 am

Post by Fuldu »

Vote Count:
PeaceBringer - 1 (Bengel54321)
Jaguar - 1 (Thoth)

Not Voting: Jaguar, PeaceBringer, Quailman

With 5 alive, 3 to lynch

Life Support Disabled in 2:11:14

At the deadline, there will presently be no lynch, receiving three votes.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #679 (isolation #67) » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:11 am

Post by Fuldu »

And with three non-votes, the crew rush back to the cryopods without a lynch.

Night will extend through the weekend until Monday at 7:00 PM, GMT.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #680 (isolation #68) » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:28 am

Post by Fuldu »

As the cryochambers hiss and release you from your forced slumber, you sadly note that only four of you are up and about. PeaceBringer, it would appear, didn't make it through the night. But, as you move toward the exit nearest the living area, you hear a faint moan coming from his cryopod. Interestingly, although his pod has been sabotaged like all those before, PeaceBringer seems to have survived his ordeal.

All four of you quickly move to help him in exiting the stasis pod. He doesn't look at all well, with pallid skin and poor mobility. In fact, as soon as he steps out of the pod, a horde of robots descend upon him, some hauling him off to the medical bay while others work at repairing the damage done to his cryopod. Recognizing that you'll need his help in the coming day, the group decides to hold the coming discussions in sick bay rather than the bridge. REGIS, it would seem, doesn't have anything else to say, and the other terminals can be seen from one location on the ship as well as any other.

Power Supply Critical!!!
Life Support Terminated in 24:00:00

As with yesterday, all living players (including PeaceBringer) will be receiving prods.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #683 (isolation #69) » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:59 am

Post by Fuldu »

I guess I should point out that it's still 5 alive, 3 to lynch.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #687 (isolation #70) » Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:23 am

Post by Fuldu »

Without even giving him a chance to speak, the remaining crew singled out Bengel54321 for death. PeaceBringer had a difficult time dragging himself to the airlock, but was still able to help the others push their victim in. That done, PeaceBringer returned to sick bay for further treatment while the others went down the hall to check Bengel54321's quarters.

The dim lighting didn't make scanning the room easy, but it was immediately obvious from the size and monochrome decor that Bengel54321 was the
Pirate Lieutenant
. Much more difficult was the search for the REGIS swipe card that seemed certain to be somewhere in the room. Although there was over fourteen hours remaining to life support when Bengel54321 was locked up, much of that had dwindled before the ebony swipe card was discovered in the frame of a family photo.

Pirates of the Endless Night Authorized
Program Recalibrating

Night choices due by Wednesday, 6:00 PM BDT.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #688 (isolation #71) » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:12 am

Post by Fuldu »

You awaken to discover that, as before, no one has died. This is the good news. The bad news is that life support still seems dangerously unstable.

Power Supply Critical
Life Support Disabled in 24:00:00

With 4 alive, it'll take 3 to lynch. And, as before, everyone's getting prodded.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #693 (isolation #72) » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:20 pm

Post by Fuldu »

And with that, the three of you drag Jaguar to the airlock and throw her in. Now it's just a waiting game. The hours drag on, but none of the four doors open. After more than twelve hours of sitting around, the power supply dwindles and life support shuts down. But without any closure on Jaguar, you continue to sit, hoping to stave off the cold as long as possible.

The air turns chill, but Jaguar lingers on in the airlock, so the three of you linger on outside. After another couple of hours, you can see your breath misting in front of you, but still no locks have deactivated. As time continues to pass, the air seems thinner, but surely that must just be your imaginations. The three of you couldn't have used up all the oxygen in the ship that quickly.

Finally, one of the doors disengages and provides entry into a spacious, sleek, and richly furnished chamber. There's no question. Now, not only are you stranded aboard a damaged spaceship in a hostile environment far from home with dangerous parties aboard, you're mutineers, as well. You've lynched your
Captain
. Funny, you don't remember starting this trip with a female Captain. No. I guess that isn't really funny.

A rustling noise from the corner alerts you to a surprising presence and an unexpected discovery. Apparently there's another cryopod on board, with another occupant. Jaguar brought her favorite pet African Grey on board. Odd that the cage would have been outfitted with a cryopod. There wasn't any reason to expect it would be necessary. But with a squawk, the parrot gives it all away.

Aawk! Kill them all!

You're tired and cold and frightened, but that gives you all the incentive you need to tear the place apart. It's a sizeable room, but the card is in one the first places you think to look, the bottom of the parrot's cage. Rushing back to the bridge for what you hope will be the final time, you swipe the card and are rewarded for your troubles.

Pirates of the Endless Night Authorized:
Program Terminated

And, to your great relief, life support returns and REGIS regains his senses. Dozens of status reports begin appearing on the terminals around the bridge and repair robots begin scrambling about, fixing the various damage that the past weeks have caused. The radio lights up, and though none of the three of you know how to work it, you're able to press enough buttons to eventually receive the message that Galactic Space Fleet is on its way. But for now, some dinner and a nap.

Congratulations town! You've secured the Ratite!
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #699 (isolation #73) » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:50 pm

Post by Fuldu »

Scum Role PMs
:

Heisenberg Uncertainty Principal -
You are the G.S.S. Ratite's
Science Officer
, as well as the
Heisenberg Uncertainty Principal
(sue me, I think it's funny), Godfather to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Mafia. With your henchmen, X and Y, you intend to deliver the Ratite to the forces of confusion and chaos, eliminating any who stand in your way. But while you're at it, you plan to have a little fun. You've been the butt of jokes regarding your lack of emotion, impersonal behavior, and nerdishness for far too long.

As such, you've reprogrammed the ship's computer to deliver trivia questions to the crew; those who fail to answer correctly will be denied their stasis choice. Unfortunately, there was no way to get around having this dictum apply to you, as well, at least not in the time you had to make the modifications. The only loophole you were able to build in was that, unlike everyone else on board, you will know whether your team members have answered correctly before you make your decision. You may then discuss this with your comrades in choosing whose cryopod you wish to tamper with and disable. Additionally, you will be immune to some forms of investigation. We'll see who has the last, well not laugh because that would be a display of emotion, but perhaps the last raised eyebrow.

During each stasis, I will inform you of which of the Heisenberg team's trivia answers are correct. Please then PM me the name of the player you wish to kill and the scum (presumably one who answered correctly) who will carry it out.

You win when all non-Heisenberg team members are eliminated.

Heisenberg Uncertainty Mafia -
You are an undistinguished
Lieutenant
on the G.S.S. Ratite, as well as a member of the
Heisenberg Uncertainty Mafia
. With your teammates, X and Y, you intend to kill everyone aboard the ship, using the trivia game to aid you in covering your tracks. You may discuss your plan with your teammates during stasis.

Heisenberg Uncertainty Mafia -
Ensign
on the G.S.S. Ratite, as well as a member of the
Heisenberg Uncertainty Mafia
. With your teammates, X and Y, you intend to kill everyone aboard the ship, using the trivia game to aid you in covering your tracks. You may discuss your plan with your teammates during stasis.

Mod Notes: GF is immune to Communications Officer investigations.
Trivia will begin with four categories, but with each killed Heisenberg member, the number of categories will decrease by one. Once all are dead, the trivia portion of the game will end and night choices will work as in a normal game.
So long as one Heisenberg is still alive, each day will begin with three days of category selection time, regardless of what is happening with the Pirate's life support time.
With the GF's death, decision-making power will pass to the highest ranking living member, but investigative immunity and answer verification will be lost.

Pirate Captain of Endless Night -
You are the
Captain
of the G.S.S. Ratite, as well as the
Pirate Captain of Endless Night
. Having programmed the power generators to turn themselves off, you ordered the Ratite's crew into the cryopods with the intent of leaving the ship in stasis until it could be picked up by the local Pirates of the Endless Night contingent. Unfortunately, it appears the damage sustained by the ship during the attack has scrambled your program and set the generator timers on a decreasing series of countdowns. As best as you can determine, the interval between loss of life-support on the ship will decrease by one day after each successive stasis period.

In any event, your plan has not changed, although it now may require you to kill crew members you would have preferred to sell into slavery. During stasis, you may discuss with your teammates, X and Y, whose cryopod you wish to damage. Additionally, you will be immune to some forms of investigation.

During each stasis, please PM me the name of the player you wish to kill and the scum who will carry it out, keeping in mind that if the acting scum answered the trivia incorrectly, the central computer will not relay their orders.

You win when all non-Pirates are eliminated or if a state of perpetual stasis is reached.

Pirates of the Endless Night -
Lieutenant
on the G.S.S. Ratite, as well as a
Pirate of the Endless Night
. With your teammates, X and Y, you hope to push the Ratite into perpetual stasis or, failing that, kill everyone aboard the ship. You may discuss your plan with your teammates during stasis.

You win when all non-Pirates are eliminated or if a state of perpetual stasis is reached.

Pirates of the Endless Night -
Ensign
on the G.S.S. Ratite, as well as a
Pirate of the Endless Night
. With your teammates, X and Y, you hope to push the Ratite into perpetual stasis or, failing that, kill everyone aboard the ship. You may discuss your plan with your teammates during stasis.

Mod Notes: GF is immune to Communications Officer investigations.
Day Zero will begin with eight days of life support time. Each successive day will have one less day of life support time (not considering the Heisenberg category time discussed above). Each Pirate death will increment the life support time back up by one day. If at any time the day would dawn with no time, perpetual stasis will be reached and the Pirates will win.
With the death of the GF, decision-making power will pass to the next highest ranking member, but investigative immunity will be lost.

Fh'Telna -
You are
Fh'Telna
, the only M'Lraxian survivor of the recent battle. When it became clear that your people were going to lose, you transported aboard the Ratite from your ship and inhabited the body of a crew member. You then released a neurotoxin that addled the crew's memories, hoping the confusion would help you to evade discovery while you plotted your next move. The ship seems to be having other problems, however, with the intermittant loss of life-support and the odd trivia questions. You have been in regular contact with your superiors on the home world, but it will be weeks before they can get here. So in consultation with them, you have decided to take matters into your own hands and capitalize on the malfunctioning systems by killing the remaining crew in their stasis sleep.

Although you are as reliant as the humans on the ship's life support systems, you have a much greater lung capacity and tolerance for sub-zero temperatures than they. As such, you have ample time to exit your cryopod before stasis begins, damage their puny bodies beyond repair, and return to your cryopod before the lack of life support becomes a danger. As a bonus, because this action requires no effort on the part of the cryopod's computer, you are wholly unaffected by the central computer's trivia challenges.

During each stasis, please send me the name of the player you wish to kill.

You win when all other players are eliminated.

Mod Notes: Immune to Electrical Engineer investigations, Systems Administrator swaps, and Security Officer blocks.
Kills unaffected by Mechanical Engineer protection, Programmer guarding, and Ship's Doctor resurrections.
Completely unconstrained by trivia outcomes.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #704 (isolation #74) » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:57 pm

Post by Fuldu »

Mechanical Engineer -
You are a
Mechanical Engineer
aboard the G.S.S. Ratite. Your cryopod is equipped with a diagnostic program interface which allows you to check equipment (say, the cryopods themselves) for damage or tampering and to send a low-level repair robot to fix it. If a cryopod were damaged, it would likely result in the stasis death of its occupant and your actions could prevent this. Of course, this is wholly dependant on the central computer's willingness to relay your instructions.

During each statis, please send me the name of the player whose cryopod you wish to run diagnostics on.

You win when all threats to the Ratite are eliminated.

Mod Notes: Protects against mafia kills, but not SK kills.
In the event of attempted protection against SK kill, the morning post will have the repair robots still working on the glass of the cryopod.

Electrical Engineer -
You are an
Electrical Engineer
aboard the G.S.S. Ratite. Your cryopod is equipped with a diagnostic program interface that can track electrical flows within the system. Under normal circumstances this allows you to search for shorts in many of the ship's systems, but with the level of damage sustained in the battle, there are too many shorts for the tool to trace them effectively. You have, however, discovered an unintentional feature of the electrical diagnostic. By marking the time at which an interface is accessed and searching for power fluctuations in other interfaces in the moments just afterward, you are able to determine which consoles are responding to the initial request. In the early weeks of the mission, you were using this largely to verify gossip about crew members' personal relationships, but you feel it will likely serve a more practical purpose in rooting out the saboteurs. Of course, this is wholly dependant on the central computer's willingness to relay your instructions.

During each stasis, please send me the name of the player whose actions you wish to track.

Mod Notes: Cannot check on the actions of SK.
Will get both names if he checks the Systems Administrator.
Will not get information on pre-dawn activities of Ship's Doctor.

Reference Librarian -
You are the
Reference Librarian
aboard the G.S.S. Ratite. Although the ship's computers have a vast database of information, your expertise is often required to search through it quickly and accurately. So while many other crew members have extensive knowledge in a particular area, your skills are in finding the answers to questions as they are posed to you. As a result, this trivia anomaly in the central computer poses no great concern to you. At any point after the questions have been posed, you may employ your research skills to divine the answer to any one of the questions you choose. Unfortunately, the necessity of remaining on the Bridge (where life support is functioning most solidly) with the other crew members prevents you from spending more time in study than would allow you to find more than one answer. Note that since this is a daytime action, your ability is unaffected by the granting of access by the central computer. Isn't it just your lot in life to have a skill that will be of no practical use to you directly.

After the questions have been posed, please PM me indicating which question you would like the answer to.

Mod Notes: Not a night action, so trivia, and roles like Electrical Engineer or Deputy will not get information on his activities.

Security Officer -
You are the G.S.S. Ratite's
Security Officer
. As much as you would like to take this opportunity to confine some of the more unruly members of the crew to the brig, the recent battle damaged the locking mechanisms on the cells. However, your cryopod is equipped with a low-level security protocol which will allow you to temporarily disable system access to any crew member you wish. Assuming the central computer is willing to relay your commands, you will have time to disable one individual's system access before falling into stasis.

During each stasis, please send me the name of the player, if any, you wish to prevent from taking action.

Munitions Officer -
You are the
Munitions Officer
aboard the G.S.S. Ratite. Nearly all of your weapons supplies were spent in the recent battle, but you still have a small stock of torpedos. With no ships within scanning distance for several light years, it isn't likely that these will be needed to defend the ship, so you've decided to turn them to another purpose entirely. Your cryopod is equipped with an emergency protocol designed to protect the ship in the event of an attack while the crew are in stasis, but you're pretty sure you can modify it to fire torpedos at a non-existent target. Furthermore, the protocol provides the option of loading a specialized warhead into the torpedo, and there's nothing to prevent you from telling the mindless robots that will carry out the loading that the cryopods are actually specialized warheads. Of course, if the central computer chooses to ignore your commands, there's little you can do about it. Heh heh, it's cool when stuff blows up.

During each stasis, please send me the name of the player, if any, you wish to fire into the empty vastness of space.

Ship's Doctor -
You are the
Ship's Doctor
of the G.S.S. Ratite. You are justly proud of your ability to heal and repair all manner of wounds, ailments, and alien diseases. Of course, none of that skill is going to help you a damned bit if life support fails. Under those circumstances, there's really nothing you can do. Well, very little you can do. Because a body aboard a ship without life support is likely to freeze to death before succumbing to any of a number of other potentially fatal difficulties, they can be treated similar to an individual who has fallen into icy cold water and died of hypothermia. Once the body has been returned to normal temperature (as will largely happen once life support has been restored), a shot of murepinephrin will get the heart started again, and the ship's automated nurses will be able to handle the rest themselves. Unfortunately, you only have one dose of murepinephrin available, and the ship's replicators will be unable to produce more until the ship is more fully repaired.

There are three ways in which you may choose to use your murepinephrin. By default, the murepinephrin will be loaded into your cryopod. If you lose life support during a stasis period, it will automatically be injected when life support is reenabled, reviving you. If you wish to revive a lynched player, you must do so during the immediately following stasis. However, as a stasis action, routing this choice to the robots who will carry the body to sick bay will be subject to the vagaries of the central computer. If the central computer refuses to process your request, the murepinephrin will remain loaded in your cryopod. Finally, your cryopod is equipped with lifesign monitors for the entire crew. If someone dies during stasis (and the murepinephrin hasn't been used on you or someone else), you may immediately direct robots to rush to that player's cryopod to inject the murepinephrin, before the rest of the crew are fully awake. Although this action will take place just before stasis ends, it is considered a daytime action, and not subject to the same rejection by the central computer. However, your monitors do not give sufficiently adequate readings to indicate a cause of death, and you should be forewarned that not all stasis deaths will be reversible.

During each stasis, please indicate whether you wish to revive the most recently lynched player. If not, once you have received the list of night-killed players, please quickly send a PM indicating which one, if any, of those players you wish to revive.

Mod Notes: Self-protection and pre-dawn resurrections are not night actions. Lynch reversal resurrections are night actions.
If the total length of the day is 72 hours or over, the player will be isolated in sick bay for 48 hours, unable to communicate with the other players (i.e. post); if the day is shorter than 72 hours, the players will convene to sick bay to allow the player to participate.

Systems Administrator -
You are the
Systems Administrator
aboard the G.S.S. Ratite. You're furious that someone has hacked into your system, but all your attempts to regain control of the central computer have failed. Whoever did this certainly knows what they're doing. All you have access to any longer are user definition files, available through a simple protocol built into your cryopod. You can't even get logs from there, so you have no idea what anyone's doing, and you now lack the authority to make changes, so you can't lock anybody out. What you can still accomplish is to spoof the computer into thinking one user is another, effectively reversing the source of their commands. The computer is designed to refresh the user files every 72 hours, so this change will only last for one stasis period, but it should serve to swap the choices of the two players you select. All assuming, of course, that the central computer will listen to you.

During each stasis, please send me the names of the two players whose stasis choices you wish to swap.

Mod Notes: If, as a result, someone submits an inappropriate choice (either because they don't have a night choice or because the choice isn't relevant (e.g. not dead for Ship's Doctor)), it will be ignored.
If swapped mafia choices result in two kills by a single, only the highest ranking mafia taking action will do so.

Chef -
You are the
Chef
aboard the G.S.S. Ratite. Cryostasis is one of the worst parts of your job, just after armed conflict. Needless to say, this has not been a mission you're looking to repeat. However, since the crew is unable to ingest real food during stasis, you've been trying to find ways to enliven the intravenous "meals" they receive, and this seems like the perfect opportunity to begin testing them out. Your cryopod is equipped with a console that will allow you to direct the ship's robots to inject one of five flavorful spices into another crew member's nutrient tank. Assuming the central computer relays your directive, this spice will then be delivered directly into the individual's bloodstream, along with their other daily nutrients. You haven't yet determined exactly what these spices will do, but that's half the fun of cooking. You are, at the very least, confident that none of them are deadly.

You have a limitless supply of the following five spices:
Abraxian Mottled Pepper
Bivoid Tunga Root
G'talian Sea Salt
Ripong Cottle Spore
Xn Parnh

During each stasis, please indicate which spice you would like to provide to which player.

Mod Notes: Allowed to test spices on self.
Abraxian Mottled Pepper - most affected players will wake up teary-eyed and sweaty, to be noted in the dawn post; M'lraxians are deathly allergic to this pepper, so the SK will be killed by it
Bivoid Tunga Root - increases recipient vitality; will require an additional vote for lynch during the subsequent day
G'talian Sea Salt - increases recipient pheromonic production; can choose in pre-dawn a player to be always voting with them throughout the subsequent day; this vote will not appear in vote counts, but will count toward actual lynch numbers and any apparent discrepancies will be noted but not explained in the lynch post
Ripong Cottle Spore - more attuned to body language, allowing the recipient to choose one post during the day to have dissected for falsehoods; because the mod is not actually a mind-reader, it should be explained that they should try to select a post in which the mod actually knows the truth of the claims being made, i.e. night choices and role information rather than trivia (since, though I know the answers, I don't know whether they think they're giving the right answer); repeat usage results in increasingly paranoid results and withdrawal symptoms upon cessation
Xn Parnh - causes catatonia, leaving player unable to speak for the day

Communications Officer -
You are the
Communications Officer
for the G.S.S. Ratite. With no ships within several light years and a status report being continually updated and narrowbanded back to your superiors back home, there's not much required of you at this point. But you got to thinking that if there are saboteurs aboard the ship, they must be keeping in touch with their superiors, as well. So you've adapted the signal scanner in your cryopod to focus narrowly on the other cryopods within the Ratite. You can set it to scan a particular cryopod for outgoing signals during stasis and the central computer, if it processes your request, will alert you on waking if any outgoing messages originated from that cryopod. You won't be able to track the content or destination, but no one on board should be sending any outgoing messages that don't go through you.

During each stasis, please indicate whose cryopod you wish to scan for transmissions.

Mod Notes: Receives white noise for town players and GFs, transmissions for others.

Programmer -
You are a
Programmer
aboard the G.S.S. Ratite. As kewl as you think the hack into the central computer is, you didn't have anything to do with it, and you don't think you can do anything to reverse it. But, with all this talk of potential sabotage, you have thought of one, relatively minor, hacker's trick you think you can use to your advantage. Your cryopod is equipped with a small interface console, where you store a few of your old hacking tools. Of course, you've not used them in years, not since you got a real job, but you're just too sentimental to delete them. And a good thing, too, because one of them is a feedback pulse that responds to attacks on a system. By directing the program to watch a particular system (in this case, a specific cryopod's system), any attacks on that system will trigger an electrical surge to the system instigating the attack. It's unlikely to prevent the attack in this case, since cryopods aren't really what it was designed for, and the surge probably won't damage the attacking cryopod, either, but the shock the perpitrator gets will definitely make him think twice about doing it again. However, unless the saboteurs told the central computer to bow down to your l33t haxz0r sk1ll5, you'll have to get it to accept your orders if you want to do anything.

During each stasis, please indicate which cryopod (including yours, if you choose) you wish to have your security protocol monitor.

Mod Notes: Protection of a SK kill has no effect.
Protection of a mafia kill has a 25% chance preventing kill and, whether kill is prevented or not, a 25% chance of shorting out the killer's cryopod. Shorted cryopods result in a death identical to mafia kills, except that the morning will reveal scorching on the pod. If no short occurs, the attacker will wake with minor burns to be noted in the dawn post.

Power Core Technician -
You are a
Power Core Technician
for the G.S.S. Ratite. With all the damage that was done to it during the recent battle, it's a wonder that the power core is functioning at all, but this cycling of the life support systems shouldn't really be necessary to maintain power. You can't seem to get the core fully functional, but you do think that you have enough excess fuel for one emergency burn that will power the ship for three days. You'll have to be on the bridge to do it, this isn't something you can do from the console in your cryopod, and you can't set it to happen for a later time, so you have to make sure you pick the most advantageous time. But because you can't do this during stasis, the central computer can't prevent you from doing it just because you don't know who discovered the fifth moon of Saturn.

Once during the game, include the word "burn" in a post to activate the emergency burn. If I see the word, I will assume you've used it intentionally, so be careful. But, when you do use it, a PM to me pointing it out will help ensure that I don't miss it.

Mod Notes: Not a night choice.
Because the day has to start in order for the burn to lengthen it, this cannot prevent permanent stasis, it can only prevent days from being rushed due to insufficient time.

Cyborg -
You are a
Cyborg
stationed aboard the G.S.S. Ratite. Made of both living and lifelike manufactured parts, you have the advantages and disadvantages of each. On the one hand, you need the life support systems as much as your fully living counterparts, and although your stasis is somewhat different than theirs, you are similarly disabled during it. On the other hand, you are able to learn in just a few moments what it takes your human associates a lifetime to perfect. For reasons beyond your admittedly vast capabilities, this process invariably makes you want to say "Whoa! I know kung-fu!" Your cryopod is equipped with an interface port that will allow you to download the job specifications of any member of the crew. Your personal ethics, of course, prevent you from doing this while a crewman is still living; you wouldn't want to show them up at their own job. You have to live with these people, after all. And due to the nature of the download, a system reboot is necessary before a second job can be downloaded. The damage to the ship will make this infeasible until substantial repairs have been made. Finally, an unwillingness on the part of the central computer to relay your request will prevent the download from taking place, but that wouldn't prevent you from trying again during a subsequent stasis period.

Once during the game, PM me during stasis with the name of the deceased pro-Ratite player you wish to replace. If the replacement is successful, I will respond with the role PM for that player (though not the choices they've made up to that point) and you may begin playing with that role from the time dawn breaks.

Mod Notes: Function in all jobs precisely as if they had begun with that role.
If the Ship's Doctor has used the murepinephrine and the Cyborg chooses to replace to that role, the replacement goes through but is unable to do anything.

Systems Analyst -
You are a
Systems Analyst
aboard the G.S.S. Ratite. Whoever tampered with the central computer clearly did a thorough job; you haven't been able to find a way in anywhere. They did overlook one hole, though. As a normal part of your job, you go through hundreds of daily log files looking for anomolies and trying to correct them. You are still locked out of this capability. However, when a crew member dies, all their log files are forwarded to your system, in case there was something important that they were doing that hadn't yet been brought to a superior's attention. This protocol still seems to be active and although you can't easily access the files, you may have some ability to search them for relevant data. During stasis, you may request a search of the log files for any one deceased crew member. This will let you know what they were doing during the stasis periods preceding their death and what responses (if any) they had received. All this is assuming that the central computer is willing to relay your commands.

During stasis, send me the name of the deceased player you wish to create a report on.

Mod Notes: Only gets information on central computer night choices, not those roles that make daytime choices or the SK.
Can get information on the actions of scum.

Lieutenant -
You are a
Lieutenant
stationed aboard the G.S.S. Ratite. You're pleased to have survived the recent space battle and have hopes of receiving medals or a commendation upon your return to Earth. If you represent yourself admirably in dealing with these saboteurs, you might even hold out hope for a promotion. Vote carefully and act cleverly to defend the Ratite.

Ensign -
You are a lowly
Ensign
aboard the G.S.S. Ratite, and you're really starting to regret it. When you signed on with the Galactic Space Fleet you were thinking, 'Space is huge, and 99.99% of it is completely empty. How tough a gig can this be?' Now you're dealing with hostile aliens, saboteurs, and a crazy shipboard computer. If you survive, your mother is going to get an earful about her "Why can't you be more like Mrs. Diaz's boy?" lecture.

Mod Notes: Any resemblence between fictional mothers portrayed in this game and real-life mothers are strictly coincidental.

Ensign -
You are an
Ensign
stationed aboard the G.S.S. Ratite. After ten weeks of mind-numbing routine, the battle was a nice change of pace for you. And dealing with these saboteurs has the potential to be an interesting challenge. Besides, this is the first opportunity you've gotten to have just as much of a say in what happens as your superior officers. Use your vote wisely to protect the Ratite.

Ensign -
You are a mere
Ensign
on the G.S.S. Ratite. Let's face it. You're pretty much doomed. Galactic Space Fleet had the sagacity to avoid giving you a red uniform, but if the metaphor fits... Of course, there's always the possibility that, despite your complete lack of skills, you might be able to live through this conflict. You survived the battle with the aliens, after all, so luck must be on your side, right? Unless that means you've used up all your luck for this month. Hrm...

Additional Notes:
Interaction Effects - various effects might occur to players in the dawn post. Serious effects are frostbitten, in withdrawal, and catatonic. Minor effects are burnt and spicy. Any players affected by two serious effects will be alive enough to exit the cryopod, but won't survive to sick bay. Any players affected by a serious effect and a minor effect will only exhibit the serious one; the minor one will fail to be noticed. Players can be affected by both minor effects simultaneously and both will be mentioned.
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #706 (isolation #75) » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:25 pm

Post by Fuldu »

Night Choices:

Night One:
Heisenberg - Flying Dutchman (later CoronII) kills Talitha
Pirates - Bengel54321 kills Mgm
inHimshallibe kills Coron
Coron gave an incorrect answer and submits no choice
Dmi tracks Leonidas, gets that he targeted Quailman
Dragon Phoenix investigates Flying Dutchman, gets scummy result
Internet Stranger fails to submit a choice on time, protects no one
Leonidas doses Quailman with Bivoid Tunga Root, Quailman is informed that he will require an additional vote for lynch on Day One
mneme looks up justinl's actions, unsurprisingly he is told that justinl had taken none
Quailman blocks Locus Cosecant who has no night action
Raccoon_TOF guards Coron, but because Coron is attacked by the SK it has no effect
Talitha can take no action
Thoth chooses not to revive justinl (I probably wouldn't have let him anyway), then chooses not to revive Talitha, Coron, or Mgm

Night Two:
Heisenberg - CoronII kills Leonidas
Pirates - Bengel54321 kills Internet Stranger
inHimshallibe kills mneme
Dmi tracks CoronII, is told he targeted Leonidas
Dragon Phoenix targets Jaguar, hears only static
Internet Stranger fails to submit a choice, protects no one
Leonidas fails to submit a choice
mneme looks up Mgm's actions, because Mgm has no night choice, he is told that no actions were taken
Quailman blocks PeaceBringer, who has no night choice
Raccoon_TOF gave an incorrect answer and submits no choice
Thoth gave an incorrect answer and submits no choice

Night Three:
Heisenberg - Mastermind of Sin kills PookyTheMagicalBear
Pirates - PookyTheMagicalBear kills Locus Cosecant
inHimshallibe kills Locus Cosecant
Dmi tracks Locus Cosecant, is told he didn't do anything
Dragon Phoenix investigates PookyTheMagicalBear, but is blocked
Quailman blocks Dragon Phoenix
Raccoon_TOF gave an incorrect answer and submits no choice
Thoth chooses not to resurrect anyone

Night Four:
Heisenberg - no correct answers, no kill
Pirates - Jaguar kills Dmi
inHimshallibe kills Raccoon_TOF
Dmi tracks Jaguar, would have been told that he targeted Dmi, but that seemed a trifle silly
Dragon Phoenix investigates inHimshallibe, gets scummy result
Quailman blocks Raccoon_TOF, preventing him from guarding Dmi from a kill
RaccoonTOF guards Dmi, but is blocked

Night Five:
Heisenberg - Mastermind of Sin kills Save The Dragons
Pirates - Bengel54321 kills Dragon Phoenix
Dragon Phoenix investigates Maximumum, gets static
Quailman blocks Maximumum, who has no night choice

Night Six:
Pirates - Bengel54321 kills Maximumum
Quailman blocks Thoth
Thoth is blocked

Night Seven:
Pirates - Bengel54321 kills PeaceBringer
Quailman blocks Jaguar
Thoth resurrects PeaceBringer

Night Eight:
Pirates - Jaguar attempts to kill Quailman, but is blocked
Quailman blocks Jaguar
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #707 (isolation #76) » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:40 pm

Post by Fuldu »

Also, as I read over the PMs, my notes, and the night choices, I see that I said one thing with regards to Thoth's dawn resurrection possibility and did another. In particular, Night Two when Thoth gave an incorrect answer and Night Six when he was blocked, I don't believe I offered him to opportunity to make dawn resurrections and, per the language in the role PM, should have. I don't think he'd have done it anyway, given that he passed up the opportunities to resurrect both Dmi and Dragon Phoenix in order to save it for endgame, but it was an error on my part nonetheless.

I know there were questions raised by various players regarding a variety of things that didn't make sense in the context of the information you had. inHimshallibe's Night One kill and the rationale behind the various deadlines and timers, for example. I know Jaguar was upset that she didn't win this morning via the perpetual stasis clause. Is everything transparent now or is there anything else you'd like clarified?

I'd like to congratulate DP on his good instincts. 4/5 investigations were scum, though he didn't know that in every case.

I'd also like to congratulate Quailman on both surviving to the end and helping town to win, despite his strikingly poor instincts. His roleblocks were: no night choice, townie, cop, bodyguard protecting the tracker, townie (after voting for Bengel54321 all day, I was shocked he didn't prevent him from killing DP), doctorish, non-killing scum, only scum left.

This was fun and I will consider doing it again, but I'd be happy to field comments, questions, constructive input, etc. either in-thread or via PM.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”