Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (isolation #0) » Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:42 pm

Post by Raccoon_TOF »

Category: Water
to try to balance the elements a bit more...
Raccoon_TOF
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Townie

Post Post #70 (isolation #1) » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:05 pm

Post by Raccoon_TOF »

Dmi wrote:Well, the mafia probably need only one person to carry out the kill. If a group with a question doesn't have an answer, then that is more likely to hurt the town rather than the mafia.
Based on this thinking (which was similar to my own anyway) I'll toss out some answers here. My response to my own category is in bold:

Air: The final flight departed from Berlin to New York/New Jersey. However, this was not the
first
voyage. The first major voyage was to Rio de Janeiro (though I don't remember whether it left from Frankfurt or from Berlin) and it had done numerous smaller trips within Germany and various other locations in the previous year for propaganda reasons. So based on the suspected interpretation of the question, I'd say Berlin, but Fuldu might want to check his wording...

Earth: I believe the organization that she forms is VILE, but I don't remember for sure. I do remember that the detective agency is ACME though...

Fire: No clue on this one, haven't seen anything of The Apprentice beyond the previews...

Water: And finally, decompression sickness ("the bends") is caused by an excess of
Nitrogen
dissolved in the water in the diver's body...
Raccoon_TOF
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Townie

Post Post #147 (isolation #2) » Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:40 pm

Post by Raccoon_TOF »

Category: Pestilence

MgM, definitely looks like the mafia know who is a threat to them...and bad luck for us that you seem to keep getting investigative roles to go along with it too...

As far as the trivia "loopholes" suggestion goes, I'm also pretty sure that there is something built in to prevent that sort of thing. Possibly a useful strategy later on, but I think for now we can get enough information just from the incorrect answers, without trying to break the game...

As far as a vote, I'll hold off on anything for now till we have more information. Especially since the only wrong answers were to the air question, and not very many people chose that one...so not much to work with there yet.

(Also as an aside, I forgot that because the Lufthansa hangers at Berlin were not completed in time, the flight did indeed leave the main zeppelin hangers at Frankfurt initially, as I had suspected that the Rio de Janeiro flight did...though it turns out there were multiple flights to RdJ too. For the record, the very first flight of the Hindenburg was a short round-trip between the hangers at Frankfurt and Berlin, on March 4th, 1936. Also, even saying it was the first North American flight would still be inaccurate. It was the first passenger carrying flight TO North America, but in fact there had been a number of trips here in 1936 previous to that flight, including a tour flight all over the New England area carrying businessmen interested in investing in a joint German/America airship program, of which the Hindenburg was just going to be the first of four zeppelins eventually planned to be in service on the route. With the disaster of the Hindenburg, and the outbreak of war, all of those plans were cancelled of course...)

On a final note, I will be moving sometime this coming week. The current plan is to leave on the 3rd, and to arrive on the 10th, though I will be able to check in at least a couple of times along the trip. No need for a replacement, as I should have stable access as soon as I get there, but I may be a bit delayed in posting for the next week and a half or so.
Raccoon_TOF
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Townie

Post Post #151 (isolation #3) » Sat Jan 29, 2005 2:15 pm

Post by Raccoon_TOF »

No guarantee that the night kill choice would be the doc...and according to that scenario the real cop isn't even revealed either. So in that case, 2 town for 1 mafia isn't actually a bad result. But there are MUCH worse scenarios that the mafia could use under the circumstances, which I won't outline here just in case we do end up using something similar towards the endgame (wouldn't want to give them any good ideas after all...).
Raccoon_TOF
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Townie

Post Post #162 (isolation #4) » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:33 am

Post by Raccoon_TOF »

If it was a hidden cop claim, I doubt that Mneme would reveal that...not much point in hiding it only to reveal it when it was noticed.

My guess though is it was just a use of caps for effect, a traditional literary technique to put more weight and/or personification behind a phrase...
Raccoon_TOF
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Townie

Post Post #163 (isolation #5) » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:33 am

Post by Raccoon_TOF »

For example, the phrase "Real Soon Now"...
Raccoon_TOF
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Townie

Post Post #192 (isolation #6) » Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:33 am

Post by Raccoon_TOF »

Well folks, I have answers for War, Pestilence, and Death (absoilutely no clue on the Famine answer...). I'll wait on revealing the ones that are not my own category until we decide what we are doing in general. However, as I am leaving on the road tomorrow to start the move, I will answer my own category now anyway...I should have a chance to drop in and post answers to the others if people decide that is what should be done, but no guarantees.

Pestilence:
Answer: Influenza / The Flu
- Not sure which particular flu it was, but I know it was NOT the Spanish Flu (that was at the end of WWI).
Raccoon_TOF
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Townie

Post Post #204 (isolation #7) » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:46 pm

Post by Raccoon_TOF »

Mastermind of Sin wrote:
sorry, I didn't see you discussing that...i just sorta skimmed the previous pages without really reading much
For lack of much better to go on, and since I probably won't have another chance to vote before the deadline anyway, I'm going to
Vote: Mastermind of Sin
for this. Mafia can easily get away with only quickly skimming posts, just looking to see if one of their members is threatened. For the town, we rely on the posts during the day, and careful examination of them, to get successful lynch results (unless we want to trust to blind luck...which I don't.) Therefore, he is either Mafia, or a sloppy townie who wouldn't be much use to us anyway...I'm ok with a lynch on either, though I'd prefer the former...

I hadn't even considered the possibility of still using deliberately bogus answers to still get the effect of not answering, even if the correct answer is known. With that in mind, I'll post the answers that I know, and the rest of you can decide what to do about them...I'm leaving tomorrow morning, so can't really contribute to the discussion for the rest of this day-cycle anyway unless I manage to get access along the way before Monday.

War: It is indeed the House of York / line of Edward IV represented by the White Rose. The opposition was the House of Lancaster / line of Henry IV.

Pestilence: Already posted above with my official answer.

Death: I'm pretty sure this is a quote from Paul Newman. Though my favorite quote of his has got to be "If you're playing a poker game and look around the table and can't tell who the sucker is, it's you".

Good luck folks...I'll check in as often as I can until I get settled in, should be back full time sometime the 10th or 11th.
Raccoon_TOF
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Townie

Post Post #205 (isolation #8) » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:47 pm

Post by Raccoon_TOF »

Mastermind of Sin wrote:
sorry, I didn't see you discussing that...i just sorta skimmed the previous pages without really reading much
For lack of much better to go on, and since I probably won't have another chance to vote before the deadline anyway, I'm going to
Vote: Mastermind of Sin
for this. Mafia can easily get away with only quickly skimming posts, just looking to see if one of their members is threatened. For the town, we rely on the posts during the day, and careful examination of them, to get successful lynch results (unless we want to trust to blind luck...which I don't.) Therefore, he is either Mafia, or a sloppy townie who wouldn't be much use to us anyway...I'm ok with a lynch on either, though I'd prefer the former...

I hadn't even considered the possibility of still using deliberately bogus answers to still get the effect of not answering, even if the correct answer is known. With that in mind, I'll post the answers that I know, and the rest of you can decide what to do about them...I'm leaving tomorrow morning, so can't really contribute to the discussion for the rest of this day-cycle anyway unless I manage to get access along the way before Monday.

War: It is indeed the House of York / line of Edward IV represented by the White Rose. The opposition was the House of Lancaster / line of Henry IV.

Pestilence: Already posted above with my official answer.

Death: I'm pretty sure this is a quote from Paul Newman. Though my favorite quote of his has got to be "If you're playing a poker game and look around the table and can't tell who the sucker is, it's you".

Good luck folks...I'll check in as often as I can until I get settled in, should be back full time sometime the 10th or 11th.
Raccoon_TOF
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Townie

Post Post #220 (isolation #9) » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:53 am

Post by Raccoon_TOF »

I saw your post (though it confused me - IIRC we had already discussed the possibility of preplanning votes even on "day 0"). However, that just shows that you only skimmed the rules as well, :P

Seriously, my vote is a pretty weak vote, and really the only reason it is a vote and not just an FOS is that I doubt I will get a chance to post a "proper" vote before the deadline. I just shipped the last of the stuff that is getting shipped, and the only thing I have left to pack into the car before leaving now is my computer...which will be done as soon as I finish this post. So please, noone take my vote as a very strong thought at all, it's more an FOS with a pre-vote in case more information is turned up.
Raccoon_TOF
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Townie

Post Post #311 (isolation #10) » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:16 pm

Post by Raccoon_TOF »

Dropping in quick, my apologies for not knowing the specific flu...but I just have to say the smallpox discussion was hilarious to watch after the fact.

As for current category,
Category: Future
sounds good to me.

I too think that the most likely combination is 2 mafia groups and 1 SK, but there isn't enough evidence to be sure yet.

And finally, I'm pretty sure that the categories/killings correlation is entirely off-base, and I would suggest that we don't waste time trying to analyze it but instead focus on analyzing current information for finding more scum. Well done yester"day", but we need to be extremely careful now, as if there are in fact 7 killers still on the list then our odds are not looking so good...any thoughts on who might be the SK yet? I think that would be the best way to better our odds, we only need 1 correct lynch, and it removes a night death...any thoughts?
Raccoon_TOF
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Townie

Post Post #330 (isolation #11) » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:17 pm

Post by Raccoon_TOF »

I want to say the answer to the Future is Mother Shelton, but I don't recall for certain. I know it is Mother "something" and that "something" was the last name if the person she eventually ended up marrying, a carpenter or shipwright or something like that. She predicted the great fires in London, the defeat of the Spanish Armada, numerous comet impacts, and many other things (including her own death) in the form of rhyming prophecies.

As for the rest, I have absolutely no clue...no interest whatsoever in watching Pro Football (though college Football is entertaining at times, and I do enjoy playing, just not watching it...) and I have never read
The Gift of the Magi
(assuming that is a book, and not a movie...who knows these days...).
Raccoon_TOF
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Townie

Post Post #340 (isolation #12) » Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:43 am

Post by Raccoon_TOF »

Just be sure to reveal your choices BEFORE Coron gets enough votes to be lynched...if the lynch gets rushed to night, and you get killed at night, we lose whatever information you had not already posted...
Raccoon_TOF
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Townie

Post Post #390 (isolation #13) » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:39 pm

Post by Raccoon_TOF »

I'm pretty sure the future answer is Mother Shelton, but I'll hold on answering just in case anyone else has any more information about it...
Raccoon_TOF
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Townie

Post Post #404 (isolation #14) » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:52 pm

Post by Raccoon_TOF »

Blah, didn't get on in time to make my answer official, but it looks like I was slightly wrong in the name anyway, so it wouldn't have made a difference.

For today:
Category: The Captain

I'm somewhat surprised that the Life Support hold is still in place with the loss of Locus and his role as deadline extender, but perhaps we have someone else in a similar role...

I'm beginning to wonder if there is someone who has a role responsible for REGIS acting even more "upset" each day too...
Raccoon_TOF
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Townie

Post Post #405 (isolation #15) » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:53 pm

Post by Raccoon_TOF »

Blah, didn't get on in time to make my answer official, but it looks like I was slightly wrong in the name anyway, so it wouldn't have made a difference.

For today:
Category: The Captain

I'm somewhat surprised that the Life Support hold is still in place with the loss of Locus and his role as deadline extender, but perhaps we have someone else in a similar role...

I'm beginning to wonder if there is someone who has a role responsible for REGIS acting even more "upset" each day too...
Raccoon_TOF
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Townie

Post Post #426 (isolation #16) » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:21 pm

Post by Raccoon_TOF »

Well, I am 100% positive of the answer to the Captain category...but will hold answering for now in case someone comes up with an interesting theory to test. Doesn't look like we will be able to do much with an answering strategy today though considering the topic distribution, unless we are merely going to block specific people from answering...
Raccoon_TOF
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Townie

Post Post #448 (isolation #17) » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:51 pm

Post by Raccoon_TOF »

Quailman wrote:I myself am not really in favor of one cop coming out. What if a mafia comes out as a cop instead and gets a free kill tonight while none of us get a choice tonight? Also, I'm pretty sure of my answer for Tennille, but what if (a) I'm wrong or (b) the cop chose the Captain and no one knows that answer for sure or is wrong?
As I said, I am 100% sure of my answer for the Captain category. So that is not a worry. My only worry would be that after the cop came out, all it would take would be a single mafia member still answering correctly after everyone else had answered incorrectly, and then the cop is dead (no doc to protect him). Sure, we get the mafia too the next day, but frankly I don't think a cop for a mafia favors the town at all at this point.

Therefore, I think that the best option would be to try to narrow down who the SK is. Let anyone not on the SK suspect list answer however they want. Then assign half of the SK possibilities to answer incorrectly. If there is still an SK kill at night, then we know one of the half that answered correctly is the SK. If there is NOT an SK kill, we do NOT know that the SK is one of the incorrect answer group however...they could be in the "correct" group and choose not to kill to throw off suspicion. Thus, the next day, if there was no SK kill, the SAME people should be chosen (an SK refusing to kill to protect themself is nearly as good as a dead SK...). Only if there IS an SK kill at night should the people assigned to answer correctly/incorrectly change.
Raccoon_TOF
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Townie

Post Post #450 (isolation #18) » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:55 am

Post by Raccoon_TOF »

Good point, hadn't thought it quite that far ahead, we just have to be sure not to lynch before all answers are in and finalized.
Raccoon_TOF
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Townie

Post Post #456 (isolation #19) » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:07 am

Post by Raccoon_TOF »

Ok, since there seems to be no other plan suggested at this point, I think it is safe for those other than MoS, DP, and Beng to answer at this point and will do so rather than risk missing the deadline again...

Answer: John Draper
He was the first publicly revealed and most well known phreaker of his time, not technically a "hacker" (his activities started well before PC's were around) but he epitomized the ideal that many phreakers, and later hackers, following him tried to emulate . His goals were not to get free phone calls, but rather to discover as much as possible about how the phone network operated, and often deliberately bounced calls all over the world to call someone right next door...just because he could.

As far as the vote is concerned, I agree that thrawn looks the scummiest so far as well. He is also on the potential SK list, so if nothing else a lynch would help us narrow down the possible SK if the other plan does not work. Therefore, I will join in and
Vote: thrawn1020
Raccoon_TOF
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Townie

Post Post #506 (isolation #20) » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:00 am

Post by Raccoon_TOF »

I doubt that there are players who can take actions with incorrect answers. And it was also clarified that we COULD get information from how the questions were answered, by placing in a role that did not require correct answers for a night action it would violate both of those "rules". I am happy with leaving my vote where it is.
Raccoon_TOF
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Townie

Post Post #507 (isolation #21) » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:01 am

Post by Raccoon_TOF »

I doubt that there are players who can take actions with incorrect answers. And it was also clarified that we COULD get information from how the questions were answered, by placing in a role that did not require correct answers for a night action it would violate both of those "rules". I am happy with leaving my vote where it is.
Raccoon_TOF
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Raccoon_TOF
Townie
Townie

Post Post #529 (isolation #22) » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:10 am

Post by Raccoon_TOF »

Bah!
Raccoon_TOF
Raccoon_TOF
Townie