Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #18 (isolation #0) » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:22 pm

Post by Gaspode »

Thunderbolts of lightning, very very frightening me!
Sorry, all my tapes have mysteriously become Best of Queen albums. ;)

As for the game at hand: I guess Beelzebub was probably mafia, but I would think everyone else would be pro-town, since they all worked against the Apocalypse (or at least, not for it) in the book.

And if we assume any kind of angels caused the burning death, we should probably consider the angels of Heaven as well, considering that they also used flaming swords. I suppose it's more likely that it was witchhunters, though.

About the bike kill: would the Them have a kill? Even if they do, I would think it would be Adam exploding someone's head with his thoughts, or something Antichrist-ish like that.

On the bright side, we still probably have Newt and Crowley to help put off the Apocalypse.

random vote: Fuldu
. Why you say? Well, why not?
Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #19 (isolation #1) » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:24 pm

Post by Gaspode »

By the way, awesome flavor text. Very Good Omens-esque.
Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #52 (isolation #2) » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:41 am

Post by Gaspode »

I agree with LC; I think the Them are probably like a pro-town or neutral mason group with some special powers.

I agree with Aelyn's mafia group ideas except for one thing:
Polotet wrote:Almost every character on the cast list in Good Omens will be included in the game. Only two will be omitted. Of course, that doesn't mean only characters on the cast list will be included. The cast list will be posted below to aid the bookless.
My guesses for characters left out: God, Satan, Agnes, or Dog. If God and/or Satan are left out, then the supposed mafia would be cut down a little (which seems a bit more logical, as 1/3 of the players being scum seems like kind of a lot). Plus, God, Satan, or Agnes would all be extremely easy to make overpowered.

My guesses for the kills:
Burning: Forces of Heaven or Hell (possibly a Witchfinder, but not likely).
Malnutrition: Famine/Horsepersons
Bike: Misguided vigilante? If not, maybe a strange SK.
Unknown cause: Forces of Hell or Heaven.

I suppose it's possible that any of the kills was someone not on the list, but I can't think of anything specific from the book that would make sense with any of these deaths.
Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #76 (isolation #3) » Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:42 pm

Post by Gaspode »

SUAIEAAKOS

(Stop using acronyms, it's extremely annoying and kind of suspicious.)
Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #88 (isolation #4) » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:27 pm

Post by Gaspode »

unvote: whomever (Fuldu, I believe)
. As mith says, random votes are starting to do more bad than good.

I agree with most of what mith says (except I never liked the acronyms simply because I was too lazy to decipher them :P ), but I'm not ready to revote yet. Korais and mepmuff have done some pretty scummy things, but I'm not 100% convinced that they're mafia yet, as mith seems to be. I'd like to wait for a little more information before I make a serious vote.
Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #102 (isolation #5) » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:07 pm

Post by Gaspode »

So now I'm not allowed to voice mild suspicions and views without voting?
mith wrote:If you agree with mith, why wouldn't you be ready to vote? Mith seems to have no problem in voting.
Well, for one thing, I'm not a sheep. Mith and I are different people. As I said in my last post, I only agree with
most
of what he says. Also, maybe he likes to make votes with less backing than I do. I like to be reasonably sure of a person's scumminess before I make a serious vote (and nowhere, by the way, did I say that I was even 50% sure, as you say). For all I know, maybe mith even has other motives; he has been known to do things like set traps for scum or make votes simply for information purposes. I don't feel obligated to follow him like he's a god simply because he's been around longer than me.

Also, while the first vote usually just calls attention to a suspicious person, the next few can get a bandwagon moving, and sometimes push it out of control. I didn't think korais or mepmuff were past the "being called to attention" phase, so I didn't advance either bandwagon. My post was basically a VGOMS ;) without the boldfaced type.

And "washing my hands" implies that I want them lynched, but don't want to be an obvious part of the lynching. I have no intentions of starting a lynch campaign on either one of the people in question at the moment; I just think they should be examined a bit more carefully than the average player at this point. Part of my logic is that, once in awhile, scummy-looking people turn out to be docs or cops, so I don't want to start a potentially dangerous bandwagon on them yet. Another part is that even average townies make mistakes and and post things that may look suspicious and can be misinterpreted. I don't think I should be voted just because I want to take the game slowly.

On a slightly related note, does anyone else think it somewhat strange that three people voted for me before any decent reasoning was given?
Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #103 (isolation #6) » Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:09 pm

Post by Gaspode »

Mods, feel free to delete the double post, my computer's being very weird.
Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #125 (isolation #7) » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:14 pm

Post by Gaspode »

NOTE: Please read the entire post if you have time, don't just skip over it, especially if you are going to vote for me, since I believe I made some important points.

Wow, there's a lot there. I'll just tackle everything in chronological order, since that makes the most sense.

Fuldu wrote:You're trying to redirect suspicion on the people who placed it on you in the first place with the argument that it seems ill-argued and rushed. Ill-argued and rushed it might be, but to me, at least, it's so obvious how and why it happened that the idea of pointing to it as an anomaly seems desperate.
*sighs* I knew someone would say something like this. I guess I should just post with a disclaimer from now on. Anyway, it made no difference to me that the bandwagon in question was on me; I would have pointed it out no matter who it was on. I understand that DP often gives no reasoning for his vote and that people often start bandwagons with little or no reasoning. I also understand that usually, on such a bandwagon, at least one of those people is scum. I was just pointing the fact out, not "desperately" trying to "derail" my bandwagon. Any decent scummer would have at least mentioned it, and it's not like my entire post revolved around it.

Aelyn wrote:Bah, I really ought to be more careful. Nevertheless, I'm happy with my vote for now
Why? It seemed to me that you were completely on my side until you misread my last post. There's no need to just follow the crowd here unless you actually believe I'm scum.
Aelyn later wrote:Since then, I've realised my mistake, but I'm still suspicious of Gaspode in general. My gut reaction is that it's even chances he's scum, which to my mind is worth it.
This is a cop-out. What's suspicious about me? The only specific things you've said in reference to me all game were supportive of my logic. If you can back up your vote with good logic I'll back off, but right now it just seems like you don't feel like completely admitting that you were wrong in your interpretation of my post. That's not a good reason to vote for someone.

Mith wrote:Ironic, considering I've been fighting against all the random/nonsense votes, but anyway.
You're right. To be perfectly consistent with my demands for logic-backed votes, I guess I shouldn't have random voted early on, but it's a tough habit to break. ;)
mith wrote:So, maybe he only mentions this because he was particularly concerned with *not* falling into one of my traps?
Another misinterpretation. I did not mean this to be a reason not to follow you specifically. I meant it to support my argument that your reasons for voting are not always solid.
mith wrote:The main problem I have here is that if you insist on going slowly, what's the point of a random vote?
See the earlier point about my random vote.

Stewie wrote:Well, as you mentioned before, mith seemed to be 100% sure. You agree with most of what mith says. Most means more than 50%, and more than 50% of 100% is more than 50%, every time, no matter how you look at it. Therefore, you should be sure enough to vote.
Good point, I guess I was a bit careless with my wording. The point is, I cleared it up in a later post, saying that it wasn't my intention to come across as more than 50% sure korais was scum. I'm not a perfect writer, but a bad night at the keyboard doesn't make me scum.
Stewie wrote:But you agree with (most of) what he's saying -- why wouldn't you also agree in with him in the vote count? It's not like you'd be blindly following him, but you read his argument and made an informed desicion on them.
Yes, and my informed decision was that korais had done some suspicious things, but not enough to make me believe he was scum yet.
Stewie wrote:Again, if we all just sit there and watch until something suspicious enough for a vote comes up, this would be a really slow game. Although I could probably get my children to replace.
So we have different philosophies about the optimal speed of a game. By waiting for more information, I didn't mean that we should wait around forever; I just wanted to hear other people's views on the situation. Other people have an obligation to post as well, and I don't see anything wrong with wanting to hear other opinions before formulating my own.
Stewie wrote:That, or that you are NOT trying to start a bandwagon on them, and either say "Yeah, I thought that they weren't suspicious enough to vote for them" if they are town or "Yeah, I thought that there was something suspicious about them" if they are scum.
We all know that doesn't work, and I thought you knew I wasn't stupid enough to attempt that ploy. I guess you don't. I wasn't trying to set anything up; I just wanted to show that I was thinking about what was going on and provide an interesting topic for discussion. As I said, everyone has an obligation to post things of substance; I was trying to fulfill mine.
Stewie wrote:So what are you saying? That we should vote for innocent looking people? Obiously you'd agree in that it sounds like a silly plan. My point is, we have to go after suspicious people, and hope they are not town.
Obviously I don't think we should vote for innocent-looking people; I just think it can sometimes be dangerous to vote for suspicious people too quickly, because they often turn out to be powerful innocents. And now that I look back at mith's original anti-korais post once again, I realize that his logic is even thinner than I remembered. That's not to say that it's wrong; I just don't think it's nearly enough to vote for someone. When I said I agreed with most of what mith said, I basically meant that I agreed that each individual case he presented was slightly suspicious, but disagreed with his belief that it made korais look scummy enough for a vote. My post was simply one of caution, nothing more.

Genocide Heart wrote:It seems to consist almost entirely of poor reading comprehension.
This post made me laugh, because it is largely true: not so much that people are unable to read, but that this whole thing has been caused by misinterpretations of my posts.

For now, I am withholding my vote for two reasons: a) the discussion is all about me right now, and we should resolve a few more issues before adding something else to the equation, b) I know people would jump all over me for "trying to derail suspicion". I'm sure they'll jump all over me for this paragraph and my lack of a vote, but I don't care, since I don't think it's the right time for a new vote right now anyway.

Sorry if any of this doesn't make sense, I'll be happy to clear anything up; it's a lot to be writing in one post.
Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #156 (isolation #8) » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:00 am

Post by Gaspode »

Just so you know, I'm still here, a post is coming tonight or tomorrow, depending on when I get home tonight.
Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #159 (isolation #9) » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:14 am

Post by Gaspode »

Again, sorry for the double post, I don't really know what's going on with my PC and/or the site.

Anyway, from a quick skim of the thread, it seems that Stewie is extremely hung up on word choice and ignoring the main ideas of people's posts. If your wording is so specific that it needs clarifying, please clarify in that post, so we know you're not just trying to change your meaning after you make a post.

Now I haven't looked excruciatingly closely at the situation, but can someone please tell me how korais has "virtually admitted that he's scum"? I see some suspicious stuff in his posts, but nothing that definite. Maybe I'm just imperceptive.

Now we have made a lot of progress, but it's basically the same ten people that have been posting all day. Where are all the lurkers? Start posting, people!
Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #250 (isolation #10) » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:51 am

Post by Gaspode »

vote: Coron
A couple of reasons:

1. He and Aelyn are looking equally scummy to me right now, and Coron's wagon seems to have more potential. What mith says is true, he's pretending to be helpful but really not posting much of use at all.

2. He's not me. And don't start with the "he's trying to get votes on anyone but himself" bit--I have ten votes on me, anyone else would do the same. Simply based on the fact that one knows one's own role, the probability (from my point of view) of him being a good person to lynch is always better than the 0% chance (again, from my point of view only) of me being a good person to lynch.
Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #582 (isolation #11) » Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:12 am

Post by Gaspode »

I'm sorry for the lurkage. I guess mafia is just something that can't really fit into my life anymore. I used to make it a high priority, but then so many real life things have started to get in the way that I can't really pay nearly enough attention to it anymore. If I can catch up this weekend, I will post and continue to keep up with the game until the end. If I can't, I'll post my request for a replacement. My apologies again for not keeping up.
Gaspode
Gaspode
Old school
Gaspode
Old school
Old school

Post Post #631 (isolation #12) » Mon May 02, 2005 9:37 am

Post by Gaspode »

I'm sorry for not posting. It looks like I will need a replacement. However, I would feel terrible putting a replacement in this position. I will discuss the situation with the mod and get back to you about it asap.

Can someone tell me what the current argument is against me? All I can remember (besides my lurking, which I've apologized for and can't really do anything more about) is Fuldu's vote from mid-winter. If everyone's blindly following Fuldu on logic that was seemingly refuted months ago, I think the town has bigger problems than lurking.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”