ITT we fawn over pretty girls

This forum is for discussion about anything else.

Which is more demeaning?

Being told you're beautiful
14%
Being told you're downright unnatractive
86%

Total votes: 83

Green Crayons
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (isolation #0) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:50 am

Post by Green Crayons »

False dichotomy and totally not what the issue being held in contention is about.
Green Crayons
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (isolation #1) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:34 am

Post by Green Crayons »

populartajo wrote:
elvis_knits wrote:I think it's funny how two people voted the stupid option. I wonder which two?
I think its obvious.
People, you have to learn that its a cool thing to admit you are wrong instead of keeping pushing it.
I refuse to vote in a poll which has absolutely no bearing on the real issue at hand and where the two options are misrepresentations of the sides of the discussion. If you think it is "obvious" who voted for what, you should really think again.

And to make a new post deriving from a discussion in a separate thread, but to manufacture this new discussion centered around a misconstruction of the issue that was at hand is deceitful and a poor fallacy. Strawmanning, perchance. To claim some sort of victory in that scenario is foolhardy and incorrect.

So, while we're talking about things we find humorous,
I
think it's funny how this thread was made not in an attempt to further the conversation that was being had in another thread, but as some sort of cathartic attempt to force people into accepting that your position is right by shifting the fundamentals of the discussion entirely. Absolutely hilarious.
"This Court has never held that the Constitution forbids the execution of a convicted defendant who has had a full and fair trial but is later able to convince a habeas court that he is 'actually' innocent." In re Davis, 557 U.S. 952, 955 (2009) (Scalia, J., dissenting).
Green Crayons
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #28 (isolation #2) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:01 am

Post by Green Crayons »

elvis wrote:I haven't seen one good explanation for why tajo saying someone is beautiful is somehow bad or wrong.
There are examples, all to be found in that thread. It isn't that someone made a compliment, it's that tajo (and others) consistently excessively fawn over girls in the photo thread like a bunch of dogs in heat. While the type and range of compliments vary, compounded together they become a swarm of horny gnats, who attempt to excuse their excessive and obnoxious behavior behind a veil of "compliments."
elvis wrote:I haven't seen one good explanation for how saying "most of the girls who post in this thread are downright unnatractive" is not an insult.
It is an insult, but Shea's excusing it in such a way that he wasn't being universal, therefore anyone who takes issue with this statement is making the assumption that he is speaking of them specifically. Thus, the individual applies the insult to themself without any additional help from Shea - he just throws it out there. Even if you want to accept that premise (which I do), it doesn't preclude you from also accepting the fact that Shea's simultaneously being a jackass (which I also do). But Shea's just being honest and giving his opinion of the same girls and women who countless other guys have complimented - sometimes with genuine restraint, sometimes excessively (and thus perhaps an indicator of the hormonal gensis of their praises). To make this thread about demonizing Shea's honest comments is to suggest that we should shame him into not exercising his ability to provide a legitimate counter-balance to other opinions voiced in this forum. Which, when considering the main thrust of this place is to play Mafia, seems counterintuitive. To say the least.
elvis wrote:My point is that Shea has some problem with tajo and others telling a girl she's pretty.
The way, manner and extent. Not so much the actual act.
elvis wrote:While making his point, he said most of the girls in the thread are unattractive. That is a far bigger insult.
But the two aren't meant to be comparitive. And when you do compare one with the other, you're giving legitimacy to people like tajo who think showering girls on the internet with praise just because they see a single picture is okay. By saying one is worse, that must make the other legitimate - right? It's failed logic, but tajo has already expressed it himself in this very thread.
"This Court has never held that the Constitution forbids the execution of a convicted defendant who has had a full and fair trial but is later able to convince a habeas court that he is 'actually' innocent." In re Davis, 557 U.S. 952, 955 (2009) (Scalia, J., dissenting).
Green Crayons
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #38 (isolation #3) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:22 am

Post by Green Crayons »

elvis_knits wrote:I think most of the people in this thread are sick freaks who kick puppies.

Nobody can be offended because I didn't name any names. If you take offense you are admitting you are a sick freak who kicks puppies. Also, I'm just being honest.

Love me!
See, you think you're making your point but you've made mine/Shea's/JDodge's(?). That statement shouldn't offend anyone here - there's no reason for anyone to think that it's being addressed specifically at them. It's an opinion of the quality of most of the people who post in this thread, and one that's even less subjective than Shea's. If anyone takes offense to an opinion that just so happens to also be a general insult when there's no indicator as to who that opinion is being specifically directed to, the fault is with the individual for making the assumption that they are the one being insulted.
farside wrote:I find JD line of thought on the subject illogical.
If you call someone ugly to there face and they get offended it doesn't mean they are ugly they are most likely offended at the comment.
If someone says something hurtful to be a dick people are going to be offended.

I could go on but I'm sure you will just say that everything people are offened about must be true instead of people having feelings at all.
I agree with the above absent the bolded portion. And even then, I agree with it but it has no bearing on Shea's comment about his opinion about the appearance of the majority of females who post their pictures so I find it to be irrelevant to the conversation.
Green Crayons
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #42 (isolation #4) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:33 am

Post by Green Crayons »

Albert: Yes, it was an attempt. Satire is used to make a point. Usually your own. Satire backfires when it's making your opposition's point without actually showing how it fails. Which she did: failed to show how my point was illogical or wrong or whatever.

elvis: Only if you're an overly emotional woman who has fallen victim to androcentric hegemony. I tend to think higher of both of us.
Green Crayons
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #51 (isolation #5) » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:13 am

Post by Green Crayons »

I will be the first to say calling your vagina a flower is weird. That's like the guys who call their penis a name, like Joe. Or Bob.

Weird. But beside the point, methinks.
Green Crayons
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #125 (isolation #6) » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:45 am

Post by Green Crayons »

forbidden wrote:No, what I mean is the majority of people who have mentioned this intriguing fact that they fap to me are from 4chan. Meaning their tastes/standards will be lower since we all know they are virgins for life. (well, mostly)
Careful, there. You just threw out a general opinion that just so happened to criticize a large segment of a population. Because they are potentially emotionally weak and tormented by how other people perceive them on the internet, they may take offense to your comment which may not even have been made in an attempt to be hurtful, but because it just may be assumed to be said in such a manner that it is hurtful to the individual who hears it you might get a thread with a loaded poll all of your own on 4chan about how much of a meanie you are.

WATCH OUT!

Honestly, this thread has devolved and distracted the original conversation and is thus a success in terms of why it was structured in the manner in which it was. To save us all the trouble next time, nobody should criticize a large group of people for doing something incredibly inane or potentially insulting or even just weird. Or express a general opinion about something, lest someone somewhere gets offended. In fact, I guess if you don't want to be demonized (on this board, of all places), if you're thinking it isn't part of the majority opinion make sure you shut the hell up. Thought police,
go
!

Green Crayons
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #128 (isolation #7) » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:01 am

Post by Green Crayons »

elvis wrote:Not everyone has been in agreement in the thread, and the people who have been respectful haven't gotten shit for disagreeing. I value their opinions and am happy to debate. But there is a difference between being honest and being honest in a way that is obviously going to be hurtful to others.
Mhm.
populartajo wrote:
elvis_knits wrote:I think it's funny how two people voted the stupid option. I wonder which two?
I think its obvious.
People, you have to learn that its a cool thing to admit you are wrong instead of keeping pushing it.
- "Hey, if you chose the option that goes against what I obviously forced to be the 'correct' answer, then you're stupid."
- "Hurr durr. Idiots! I know who they are!"
populartajo wrote:You are being retarded on purpose, right?
- "Only the mentally handicapped disagree with me!"
elvis_knits wrote:Are you an android/robot?
- "You fail to grasp any sort of human emotion!"
elvis_knits wrote:Shut up you're wrong and I'm right and it has nothing to do with my period or bitchiness that accompanies said period.
- "This discussion is meaningless because I'm automatically right and all opposition is wrong (because that's how this poll/thread was constructed)!"

elvis wrote:I'm not trying to be the thought police, and I don't think anyone else here is either. Everyone should feel free to be a dick if that's what they want to do. But don't expect me to like it. And don't expect me to be quiet about it. Free speech goes both ways, buddy.
Go for it. But I didn't see Shea make his own thread with a poll: "What girl is the ugliest ho-bag on the forums?" Which is the equivalent of what loaded poll rigging you did here. He made a comment voicing an opinion to support the main thrust of his point in that original thread. It doesn't bother me that you made your own thread about this argument, because it really did deserve to be taken out of the photo thread. What
does
bother me is that instead of representing the parties faithfully, you've successfully set up a discussion that's automatically biased in your favor and that completely misses the point. So, go for it. Tell everyone you think Shea's a dick. He is. I'm sure a lot of people will agree with you. But don't attempt to force that opinion into constraining a separate point and suffocating all arguments supporting it.

elvis wrote:And the fact that you think this thread is not what the original conversation is about, just shows me how you fail to grasp what the original conversation was about.
As I have said before, you're failing to see the forest through the trees by deciding to focus on this point that he said he didn't think the majority of the girls here are "above average attractive." Never mind the fact that his first post regarding this issue didn't even talk about what he thought of the general population of mafiascum females, and his follow-up post was all about what he saw as the issue of guys falling over themselves to compliment girls and women who post pictures of themselves. Somewhere along the line, you took his flippant, off the cuff remark concerning his opinion and morphed it into being the focus/point of this whole entire discussion.

I'm sorry, but by looking at the posts it's very obvious what Shea's original point was. I'm also sorry that you took such offense to an opinion he voiced in response to another user that it spun you into a weird fit of rage where all you could see was red and Shea's opinion of the pictures posted on this site.
Green Crayons
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Green Crayons
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #135 (isolation #8) » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:44 am

Post by Green Crayons »

Yos: I would imagine such a poll would look like "Do you mind being complimented on your internet photos: Yes or No?" I would imagine a poll which all but forces an individual to agree with matter X which then is taken and somehow used to discredit opinion Z would look quite similar to what we see here.

tajo: I'll try to keep in mind that trying to hold a critical discussion with you is apparently a waste of life. I'm sure it will help me in the future so I won't needlessly expend braincell activity on attempting to have a conversation with you. Thanks.

elvis: So, did I get my feelings hurt or am I a shell devoid of emotion? You made the claim that you have been respectful and people haven't been given shit for disagreeing with you. I gave you examples of such. Feel free to excuse them away however you like - that doesn't mean they weren't made.
elvis wrote:This is what the conflict was about, IMO. If you think it is about something else, please share.
As has been said before, repeatedly, Shea's original point wasn't that guys who compliment girls are creepy, it's that he was criticizing the manner and magnitude of guys who disproportionately compliment photos of females in the 15-25 year old range.
elvis wrote:I really don't care where in the conversation he stated his opinion that "most are downright unattractive." I don't care that that was not the main thrust of his argument. It doesn't make my point any less valid. My point is that while he tried to stop guys from acting like stalkers (to protect women?) he insulted women more than anyone else. Do you disagree?
You don't care about what this conversation was about, and that's why you've turned it into your personal crusade against how much of a jackass Shea is. Congratulations. Nobody disagrees with you. And, in fact, I don't agree with your above, because you're giving Shea too much credit. Shea was criticizing a certain group of guys because he was simply saying what he thought. At no time did I think he was doing it out of some notion of chivalry.
elvis wrote:WE SUPPORT GUYS ACTING LIKE DICKS BUT FEMALES WHO OPPOSE THEM ARE HAVING WEIRD EMOTIONAL OUTBURSTS!
Yes, characterizing me and my stance as a two dimensional product of the 18th century patriarchal western society makes it much more easy to argue against it. Please continue to do so while ignoring the fact that I've said repeatedly that Shea was being a douchebag, I have no problem with you calling him out on it, I have no problem with you making a poll about how much of a jackass he has been. My only source of contention was that you took that and, through this poll and through this thread have made his original point seemingly obsolete. Which is an inappropriate connection.

I'm sorry if I made assumptions from the fact that 1. you made this incredibly loaded poll and 2. won't stop harping about how insulted you feel/should feel/dislike Shea's comments while simultaneously and continually 3. ignoring my point that no matter how large of a jerk Shea has been, is being or will be in the future, that doesn't automatically discredit any of his points outside how attractive or unattractive people are. Assumptions such as there must be some motivation for your continued insistence on this point. Assumptions such as since you're all about criticizing me for my apparently lack of emotion, maybe you're motivation is tied to some sort of emotional response to what Shea said. Maybe I'm assuming incorrectly - are you the robot here, and this is just a logical response to Shea's comments, completely severed from all emotional response you may have had in reaction to them?
elvis wrote:I guess you're the type of guy who thinks when guys get into fights they're being strong and awesome, when girls have a strong opinion and stand up for it they're flying into weird fits of rage.
(sigh) It's really disappointing that you would really reduce your opposition to such a poor strawman.

Since apparently I have evolved into Mr. Big and Mean ole Anti-Feminist, I'll resign from this conversation. It's fruitless at this point.

Return to “General Discussion”