Newbie 843 (Game Over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
yernab
yernab
Townie
yernab
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6 (isolation #0) » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:27 am

Post by yernab »

/confirm
yernab
yernab
Townie
yernab
Townie
Townie

Post Post #50 (isolation #1) » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:40 am

Post by yernab »

Ah yes, sorry about not posting yet - things have been rather busy for me over the weekend, but it should be smooth sailing from here.

I'm admittedly new to this game, save for a few games IRL a loooooong ago and more recently in IRC, but I still haven't quite gotten the hang of the first day of play. I mean, really, am I supposed to make a sound judgement on who's scum from a page of one-line replies? The thing to do on the first day, at least judging from the other games on this fine forum that I've been reading, is to stimulate discussion, try and get a good conversation going, and see if we can't get the scum to at least drop a small tell. Obviously randomly lynching someone is sub-optimal, and as david-villa-7 noted above me, the time for random voting is over.

So, in the interest of stimulating discussion, I'd like to ask a question that I'd always wanted to ask on the first day, but I never see it done.
If you were scum, who would you vote for?
I think it's a decent question because it adds an additional layer of subtext, and for scum it may prove somewhat more difficult to navigate. Now, if I were scum, with the limited information I currently have, I'd most likely vote for the most vocal person, so long as it doesn't put them at L-2 or higher - got to avoid suspicion, you know. The fact that the most vocal person has already voted for me cements it: I would probably vote for Soyasushi.

Now in reality, I would probably vote for one of the guys that haven't posted yet. People who don't post are generally below the radar of the lynching mob, at least on day one, and they may be trying to lay low until someone calls them out on their lurking. WrathofShadows, for instance, is someone I would conceivably vote for. However, I'm going to withhold my vote for now, as it's entirely possible he's just had a busy weekend, not unlike myself. =P

Anyway, c'mon - let's get talking and see if we can't dig up something.
yernab
yernab
Townie
yernab
Townie
Townie

Post Post #54 (isolation #2) » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:51 am

Post by yernab »

Alright, alright - if my methods aren't productive, just let me know or propose a different topic of discussion. I was just trying to get some posting going, and as I've said this is my first game here - you'll have to bear with me if my posts seem a bit ham-handed. =P

However, Tubby: the last two votes for you are because of your lack of discussion while calling for discussion. Your latest post seems nothing more than a "oh, good job guys, I'll just vote based off of Meji's post without really saying anything".

Now, you could just be a concise writer, but you really haven't brought anything to the table yet. For instance, you obviously disagree with my post, but tell us why, or what parts strike you as scummy.

Still withholding my vote for now.
yernab
yernab
Townie
yernab
Townie
Townie

Post Post #57 (isolation #3) » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:31 am

Post by yernab »

Pretty confident, then? =P
yernab
yernab
Townie
yernab
Townie
Townie

Post Post #81 (isolation #4) » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:19 am

Post by yernab »

Wow, really? Are smilies that big of a deal? Personally I don't see any way that the use of smilies could be seen as either town or mafia, and being friendly towards a person that just voted me isn't something I can really see as a scumtell, either. God forbid we actually try and have
fun
during this game, apparently. I suppose I'll play it safe and go into Vulcan-mode for the remainder of the day.

While my initial post might (understandably) seem a bit odd to the more experienced players, I stand by it. Not necessarily for the content, but for starting the discussion that was so blatantly absent before my posting. I knew there would be a risk that I'd be under suspicion simply by making the first post of substance, and I bear the brunt of that suspicion now without too much complaint. I could have played it safe and lurked, or done single-line posts like david-villa has done. However, I felt that getting a discussion going, even if it does turn around on me would be pro-town any way you slice it.

So no, I don't mind suspicion based on the relatively weird, WIFOM-y original post I made. But c'mon guys, you're wasting time sleuthing about
smilies
? I don't see how that can help us at all, to be honest. Think about it.
yernab
yernab
Townie
yernab
Townie
Townie

Post Post #120 (isolation #5) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:23 pm

Post by yernab »

Soyasushi wrote:Chill, yernab. Why so desperate? You aren't the one under the most suspicion here,
Oh? So who, in your mind, is under the most suspicion?
yet you are getting so desperately defensive. Are you trying to hide something?
This is one slow game... Yernab, can you please say something regarding my suspicions?
Well, you're the one calling for my defense. I'm not sure if I see "desperately defensive" as a scumtell, really - are you saying that a townie should allow himself to be lynched, or defend himself with less vigor than mafia?
The smilies aren't exactly a tell, but it just gives me some sort of feeling.
"Some sort" of feeling? If you're not even really sure how you feel about it, why bring it up?
But that's not the main reason I'm voting for you. In your post, you tried to shift everyone's attention to how ridiculous my "smiley" argument is (even though it was just a one-liner in my post in the previous page), which also means you're trying to shift everyone's attention
away
from my main points.
You're suffering a bit of unwarranted self-importance if you think my post was a response to you entirely. Sure, you originally brought up the concept, but there were five more posts - count 'em - in response to the subject before I even replied. If my response seemed a bit strong to you, it's simply because I wanted to prevent people from wasting any more time on the subject. It seems generally agreed on here that smilies aren't really a signal one way or the other.

So, the smilies thing was a bit misguided, but I'm getting a townish vibe from you anyway - you're at least trying to scumhunt and get reactions, which is more than I can say for some of us here, such as... manho.

After reading EtherealCookie's analysis, I decided to look at manho's posts exclusively. If you're reading this, go ahead - at the bottom of the page, set the user to "manho" and see what you get. Although the bulk of EtherealCookie's analysis is aimed at tubby, who has been... rather unhelpful on the whole, manho's posts are even more devoid of substance. And he's an SE, too - if anything, he should be using the benefit of his experience to help us scumhunt. But so far, nothing.

So, until I get a response from manho explaining why he isn't helping us out more, I'm gonna
vote manho

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”