Newbie 893 - Newbieland! (GAME OVER)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Riza
Riza
Townie
Riza
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6 (isolation #0) » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:27 pm

Post by Riza »

/confirm

First game, ffff-
Riza
Riza
Townie
Riza
Townie
Townie

Post Post #24 (isolation #1) » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:44 pm

Post by Riza »

Going for someone random.

Vote: Honest Abel

First day votes are hard. D:
This is not a signature.
Riza
Riza
Townie
Riza
Townie
Townie

Post Post #28 (isolation #2) » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:45 pm

Post by Riza »

Haha, I'm sorry. From all the mafia games I've read, I always see people quickly jumping onto bandwagons so as a first vote, I thought I would.

And, yeah. Your avatar screams mafia scum. XD; I guess that's also what lead me to voting for you. Other than that, I'm just taking a random stab.
This is not a signature.
Riza
Riza
Townie
Riza
Townie
Townie

Post Post #42 (isolation #3) » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:50 pm

Post by Riza »

Honest Abel wrote:Well, if you want an explanation of the avatar and my username, it's just that I am a very sarcastic/ironic person. I had screencap'd a bunch of funny images from Star Trek as I watched it recently and found it as I was trying to think of what avatar to use, and I used it simply because it was relevant. It was either that or Spock as a mafia goon holding a tommy gun.

The username is something I've used for years (and was also the name I used for my music recording project for a while) and stems from several things: Abel as a character from Xenogears, Abel the biblical character (a character demanding sympathy), and Abraham Lincoln (read: Abe. L.) who is just a coolguy. The "honest" part comes from several things as well: one is a reference to the fact that I always keep promises; another is a reference to the fact that I am usually brutally honest; finally is a reference from
Othellol
, as Iago is referred to often as "Honest Iago," which is a very powerfully ironic label. I've often been described as having a silver tongue, so I figured comparing myself to one of the trickiest characters in Shakespeare would be fitting. On the other hand, it makes me look suspicious in a game of mafia, but I hope my (too?) detailed explanation will help you get past any suspicion based simply on my username/avatar.
I already thought about the fact that your avatar/username would probably have really nothing to do with whether you're scum or not, so I wasn't really expecting such a long explanation. But your quick defense in being voted for twice is a bit suspicious. It almost seems like you're pretty desperate.
I'll keep my vote.
This is not a signature.
Riza
Riza
Townie
Riza
Townie
Townie

Post Post #108 (isolation #4) » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:06 pm

Post by Riza »

chauchaudotcom wrote:Riza - What's your experience with mafia? What is your view of Pom?
My experience with the mafia? I've read a couple of themed games on another forum that I frequently visit. That's about it. XD
I don't think Pom seems scummy at all. She seems to be taking the first day lynch slowly, not wanting to quicklynch, but I think that most scum would want to vote quickly. I'm sorry if that didn't come out too right, haha.
But, I'm going to
Unvote:Honest Abel
since his explanation seemed pretty believable to me. I still have to think about who to vote for, though.[/b]
This is not a signature.
Riza
Riza
Townie
Riza
Townie
Townie

Post Post #121 (isolation #5) » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:55 pm

Post by Riza »

chauchaudotcom wrote:
The above should be taken with a grain of salt.
qft.

Riza, you've barely posted and have been labeled a lurker in my book. How does that make you feel? Now that Honest is out of your top who would you pursue next?

Also, for the record, not advocating lurking is one thing, yes, but dragging out the day is another. I'm not saying that's what Pom was doing but Riza's post just caused this to pop in my head so I figured I should get it out now. Getting information is crucial but if you drag out the day unnecessarily it can often kill both activity and interest which is oftentimes a far worse scenario for town. Just an fyi.
I guess my inactivity would be a result of time-zones and/or the fact that I'm always off when others are on. I don't feel too bad about being labeled as a lurker because I know it's not my fault, I would post more often if I could, but I simply can't. Anyway, in regards to who to vote for next, I was honestly going to vote for RayFrost because of his aggressiveness but now that others have been discussing the reason for his attitude, I'm still confused on who to vote for.
RayFrost wrote: 1. Scum wish to avoid negative attention (newb-scum may extend this to -all- attention)
I took a look back in the thread and this post made me think. Ray is probably giving many players in this game a negative image of himself. He's been aggressive, accusatory, and whatnot, making people think he is scum. But since scum "wish to avoid attention", maybe he's doing on purpose to prove that he's not scummy at all. Then again, he could be going for "all attention", but I doubt that's true.
Or maybe, like what Theta said, maybe he
is
just a dick or naturally agressive.
This is not a signature.
Riza
Riza
Townie
Riza
Townie
Townie

Post Post #142 (isolation #6) » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:39 pm

Post by Riza »

Assuming we've been calling Theta 'him' and 'he', and as they said we've been calling them by the wrong gender, wouldn't it be logical to say that she's a girl? Hahaha, forgive me if I'm wrong. XD
chauchaudotcom wrote:Feel free to suspect me as I am just as likely to be scum as any of you.
Riza wrote:I guess my inactivity would be a result of time-zones and/or the fact that I'm always off when others are on.
This is a message board so you don't need to be online when others are online to participate. While I understand that everyone has a life outside of this forum remember that lurking is anti-town behavior.

Riza - What is your read on Theta as of now? And how do you feel about the way Abel's posts have been progressing?
What can I say, I post when I can. I can't help it if I can't post more than one or two times a day.

When I read Theta's first post on page 6, I understood where she was coming from. I mean, you're questioning everyone else, to either spark discussion and/or to find whether a person is scum. But with barely anyone questioning you back, you could be hiding behind your investigating, where you are, in fact, scum yourself. It is reasonable that Pom is scum because of her little scumhunting throughout the game, but I'm still a little uncertain. Anyway, Honest Abel's posts seem much less suspicious to me now. His posts are logical. I believe he was the first to vote for Pom because of her small amount of scumhunting?

We know little about Hetemens. How do we know he's not scum?
This is not a signature.
Riza
Riza
Townie
Riza
Townie
Townie

Post Post #148 (isolation #7) » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:34 pm

Post by Riza »

JarcLovesCinn wrote:
Vaporeonage wrote:My views on the game.

Pom and Frost seem to be clashing rather than hunting the Mafia. Frost seems to be of more assistance than Pom, so I
Unvote, Vote Pomegrante

... were you just reading the first 2 pages or something? Why would you vote with such weak reasoning to put someone L-1? Get in the loop man, seems like you didn't think twice before posting that.

Big FoS on Vapor.
Agreeing here. The clashing of Pom and Frost ended on about page 3. That's pretty far from where we are now. Also, you last voted for Frost, which after that, Frost posted little. Then, you come back, with few posts between the votes, vote for Pom and say that Frost was of more assistance?

FoS on Vapor.
This is not a signature.
Riza
Riza
Townie
Riza
Townie
Townie

Post Post #177 (isolation #8) » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:56 pm

Post by Riza »

Pom has a point. Whether she had added "we" or just "the town", it could have been classified suspicious either way.

Anyway,
Vote:Vaporeonage

At the moment, he seems most suspicious to me. As I said before, with him suddenly jumping his vote from Frost to Pom and then unvoting (perhaps because Jarc and I had put a FoS on him?). It could have been to put Pom out of L-1, but with little to no reasoning, it's a little shady.
This is not a signature.
Riza
Riza
Townie
Riza
Townie
Townie

Post Post #180 (isolation #9) » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:59 pm

Post by Riza »

RayFrost wrote:I find that every one of the [pokemon]age people have shown some sign of relatively poor play, so I feel a bit of lenience toward vapor.
So there's more than just Vaporeon? XD

Nevertheless, I concur with Jarc. It seems like he's backing away, trying to make sure there's no negative attention going his way.
But then again, he might just going with the flow. He put Frost at L-2 before. And then Pom at L-1. Bandwagoning?

*shrug* Still a bit suspicious. XD
This is not a signature.
Riza
Riza
Townie
Riza
Townie
Townie

Post Post #181 (isolation #10) » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:03 pm

Post by Riza »

Riza wrote:
RayFrost wrote:I find that every one of the [pokemon]age people have shown some sign of relatively poor play, so I feel a bit of lenience toward vapor.
So there's more than just Vaporeon? XD
Holy crap, there is! I just saw a Flareonage! Awww man, I gotta catch 'em all! XD
This is not a signature.
Riza
Riza
Townie
Riza
Townie
Townie

Post Post #196 (isolation #11) » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:31 pm

Post by Riza »

RayFrost wrote:Contrast this post with this other post, which are directly after each other. This is the backtracking I was speaking about.

Says one opinion but quickly changes from it to another opinion
based off the same post

This is fencesitting in regards to me
Is backtracking considered scummy? I'm not being defensive, this is just a newbie question.
About 2 pages had passed between those posts. And in those pages, it was the discussion/argument between you and Pom and then Theta. That was when, to me, you showed your aggressiveness. When I made my unvote, I read what happened, and at that point in the game, I assumed your aggressiveness was scummy, and I had my suspicions on you. That is, until others started discussing the possible reason that you are just naturally aggressive. That's why I was sitting on the fence. Which brings me to another newbie question. Is fencesitting considered scummy as well? XD;;

Also, I unvoted based on this. And other posts Abel made after that, really did clear my suspicion on him.
I also don't see what's wrong with agreeing with others. When people make a good point, I agree. That is how I am IRL, too. I agree a lot. It may not be the best trait in the world but that's how I am.

And Vapor, I can say the same thing about you. You have just about the same amount of posts as me. You've been changing your vote all around the place and you don't even have defense for yourself when already 3 people have voted for you.
This is not a signature.
Riza
Riza
Townie
Riza
Townie
Townie

Post Post #201 (isolation #12) » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:01 pm

Post by Riza »

RayFrost wrote:Fencesitting is scummy in that scum wish to keep their options open and not devote to a side until they know which side will "win" so to speak.

Backtracking is scummy as scum are less confident in their reads, which causes them to more easily change their viewpoints.
Okay, duly noted. I'll try to avoid doing such things in the future.

Vapor could be the village idiot but on the other hand, he could simply be newbie scum who doesn't know how to seem less scummy? XD
This is not a signature.
Riza
Riza
Townie
Riza
Townie
Townie

Post Post #202 (isolation #13) » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:09 pm

Post by Riza »

Whoops. Clicked on Submit instead of Preview. ><
Anyway, I think he really is scummy. My votes stays.
Also, VI is considered a mafia role, yes?
This is not a signature.
Riza
Riza
Townie
Riza
Townie
Townie

Post Post #207 (isolation #14) » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:50 pm

Post by Riza »

The explanation below will be a sum up of other posts I've made about Vapor.

Like I said, Vapor keeps on voting/unvoting for people with little to no reasoning. It's suspicious. When he first voted for Pom, he said it was because Frost was of more assistance. Both he and Frost posted little between his vote for Pom and Frost. Therefore, I don't understand how Vapor thinks Frost was of more assistance. Wow, that sounds pretty muddled to me. Sorry. e_e Anyway, that's pretty much what lead me to vote for him.
But what makes me keep my vote is because he unvotes a post later, maybe because he caught quite a bit of negative attention? And then votes for me, for a bad reason, which can be directed toward him as well.
He doesn't even defend himself, even when he's in L-2.
This is not a signature.
Riza
Riza
Townie
Riza
Townie
Townie

Post Post #213 (isolation #15) » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:26 pm

Post by Riza »

Pomegranate wrote:Post 7: No explanation for his vote on me, which a few people asked for. But he must have seen it, because he unvoted, and said that he was unsure of where to look next.
He also mentioned he would read more and gather in this post.
Then, on 8th post, voted for me. Is it a coincidence he voted for me after Frost? I highly doubt that he read through the thread and came to the same conclusion as Frost, right after. :B
This is not a signature.
Riza
Riza
Townie
Riza
Townie
Townie

Post Post #223 (isolation #16) » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Post by Riza »

chauchaudotcom wrote:
Riza wrote:It could have been to put Pom out of L-1, but with little to no reasoning,
it's a little shady.
This was her reasoning for voting Vapo and L-2ing him. First she defends what he could have been doing and then votes him saying had little to no reason. Then in the next post she goes on to produce yet another possible wifom defense for him but stands by her vote with a...
Riza wrote:*shrug* Still
a bit
suspicious. XD
Which makes it seem like she wants her vote on him but doesn't want to take responsibility for it until Vapo posts again (stupidly) and makes himself an even easier target.

That and her emoticons make me weary. The last scum I played with used emoticons like no other as an attempt to casually play off attacks against them which is how I see hers being used right now, laughing off attacks on her.
I really need to watch out how I type when playing mafia, huh? I never realized how it can affect other people's views on whether I'm scum or not. Alrighty then, noted.
Also, I use emoticons a lot in other forums and message boards. I've actually strained myself from using too many here, but I guess that's obviously not working. I will try not to use any more, sorry.

Question. Is VI a given role?
This is not a signature.
Riza
Riza
Townie
Riza
Townie
Townie

Post Post #225 (isolation #17) » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:29 pm

Post by Riza »

But... I didn't use more than usual. In other message boards, I have about 2-5 emoticons in each of my posts. I didn't think it would be necessary to use emoticons on this website so I tried toning down a bit. It's a habit, so I can't get rid of them all. I don't see how a typing habit will make me scum.
This is not a signature.
Riza
Riza
Townie
Riza
Townie
Townie

Post Post #227 (isolation #18) » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:38 pm

Post by Riza »

Awh, my bad. I meant that I was trying to use less emoticons here than usual, but I'm still using quite a few so my attempt to decrease seems to have failed. Here, I initially tried to use only one emoticon in a post if I ever needed to, but yeah, I guess I have been using more here than I
initially
wanted to.

I hope that makes a bit more sense?
This is not a signature.
Riza
Riza
Townie
Riza
Townie
Townie

Post Post #238 (isolation #19) » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:25 pm

Post by Riza »

I'm sorry about my fail explanation posts, guys. Without school, my brain turns to mush.

I'm leaning more toward the fact that Vapor is more like the clueless newbie scum, rather than the village idiot. I think he's trying to get us to think he's village idiot, rather than newbie scum, but he is in fact, scum. Also, is bandwagoning bad? As in, if done too many times?
This is not a signature.
Riza
Riza
Townie
Riza
Townie
Townie

Post Post #741 (isolation #20) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:38 pm

Post by Riza »

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to pick up the prod quick enough due to school starting and all. But this was a very entertaining read. I was watching this thread until the end. XD I'll be sure to take note of things learnt in future games~

Also, I was lynched day one. LOLOL.
This is not a signature.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”