Title Fairy Policy Changes

A subforum entirely dedicated to the discussion of titles. The title fairy has carte blanche in this subforum.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #34 (isolation #0) » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:04 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Agree with ether and flay with regards to "jumping the gun." I think that might have a lot to do with the problem I started my thread about.

Also, Oman, thanks for the blast from the past with my brother's thread. I hadn't thought about that thread in a long while, and every time I see Elias's title I crack up. Now, on to business.
1. What do you think titles should be? Should they be an expression of each user's individuality? A reward for long standing Scummers who have been active in the community? An entitlement after x years/posts/games?
I think it's important to note that titles are NOT a reward, and they are NOT an entitlement (although literally I guess they are by a different definition of the word.) but rather something that showcases as users niche within the community, and their relation to the community. A title should be something that when we look at it, we say "Yup, thats "User X" alright."I hate to keep bringing myself up, but my title is a perfect example of this. So it Shaft.eds, so it KMDs new title.
2. What do you think the Title Fairy should be? A passive administrator to update the first page only? A moderator to ensure a sense of order in thread and titles? A way to make sure crap titles don't get through by his own judgment as an appointed official?
Oh please don't be a passive administrator! If you were, who would I yell "ABUSE OF POWER!!!" at. Seriously, title fairy thread benefited a lot from thoks "ABUSES OF POWER." You need to make sure the crap doesn't get through, and you need to make sure that the thread stays on topic. These are your responsibilities if you should choose to accept them. I would also like you to be more active with suggesting titles than thok was. The title fairy can work both ways, approving titles from the community and suggesting them to the community. The only problem with this is that you have to be able to accept it when the community doesnt like your title, and have some sort of non-variable metric for what constitutes acceptance. I think you're mature enough to handle that.
3. What limits/restrictions need to be placed on title recipients? 100 posts is still okay? 1 completed game? 1 year on site? No requirements?
There was a discussion in the PHPBB3.0 topic that I think it really relevent. I would like some sort of system where we have more layers of titles, I think the system flay and I were discussing is all the way up to 1000 posts, with multiple layers of standard titles, with users being eligable for a custom one at around 500.
4. What limits/restrictions need to be placed on title suggesters? One suggestion/week? No limit? Bannings from Title Fairy on repeated insulting titles?
I dont think there need to be restrictions on titles, if someone has 3 good titles, they should by all means be able to post them on the same day. That being said, what I don't like is walking into the thread and seeing that someone has posted 5 new title suggestions and they're all bad. I would support some sort of punishment for people who continually post bad titles, possibly the death penalty. What constitutes bad and continually is obviously up to you.
5. Should titles be on for the life of the account? Expand on what you feel to appropriate length of time before someone's title would be changed.
Titles should be left up until the account outlives them. That is, until the user decides that they are not representitive of them anymore, or the community thinks of a better one.
6. Should titles be suggest by the community and then "accepted" by the person-in-question (for want of a better term), or should they be thrust upon them regardless of their thoughts on it? Of course, this links with "title fairy moderation of titles" as above.
The poster-in-question should always have ultimate veto power over their title. This is the only check that is 100% against abusive and insulting titles that the poster feels go too far, because the title fairy probably cant research the whole situation for every title.
7. What do you see the Title Fairy Thread as? A spam thread? Srs Title Business? A place where you can post whatever without fear of moderation/incurring wrath?
I would like it to be a place of brainstorming. However, watching it in action has led me to believe that perhaps that wont happen without a little moderation.
8. What should a title be given for? Mafia games? Scumchat? GD?
Anything that is a relevent part of the posters personality. I mean, flay's title is even WIKI based, and its one of the best on the site.
9. Where do you want it? Site Ideas, Mafia Discussion, GD?
I like it where it is, and I think that in any of the other places it would be spammed more.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner

Return to “Player Titles”