massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Mini 234: Astuto-Umore (Finished!)

Post Post #0 (isolation #0) » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:54 pm

Post by massive »

Welcome to the twin villages of Astuto and Umore, a pair of fishing villages situated on the ubiquitous sundrenched Italian coast. Life is usually quiet in these villages, which are known throughout Italy for the fish and shellfish that local fishermen bring in each morning. Unfortunately, the fishermen have recently reported being strong-armed by a Mafia family for a cut of the fishing profits – and now old Giuseppe Muerto has been found dead, sleeping with his fishes! As is the case in most of these small Italian villages, it seems, you’ve convened in the town square with the plan to take the law into your own hands, even though it never works out in the movies ...

Sleeping with the fishes (literally):

Kerplunk
Phoebus

Sleeping with the fishes (figuratively):

Coron: Carlo Sacco, overnight sewer worker, pro-town, killed night one.
Commodore Amazing: Fabia Ameche, beautiful Mafia daughter, lynched day one.
Polarboy: Palermo Vanzetti, city planner, pro-town, killed night two.
draygn_mage: Giuseppe Media, average citizen, pro-town, lynched day two.
Fishbulb: Doctor Norbert Fluenza, doctor, pro-town, killed night three.
olio: Mafia Don Giorgio Ameche, Mafia godfather, lynched day three.
Mr Stoofer: Gino di Cuoco, cafe owner, killed night four.
Coolbot: Saulo Mercurio, Mafia goon, killed night four.
Yosarian2: Paulo Rimborso, policeman, killed night four.
Fritzler: Lordo, troll living under the bridge, lynched day four.
Last edited by massive on Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:17 am, edited 12 times in total.
"1AM .. not a good time to think I started mixing massive and mathcam" - Totem, DP8
"unvote mlaker; vote massive; It's like MeMe/mneme and Corsato/Cadmium" - Dragon Phoenix, Newbie 38
PLEASE NOTE: I actively avoid being online on weekends! Don't replace me just because of this!
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (isolation #1) » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:55 pm

Post by massive »

Rules blatantly stolen from STD ... and then edited to remove nutshottings.

1. Votes in bold.

2. You don't have to unvote. Be free! Be wild! Be uninhibited!

3. No talking at night unless your role allows.

4. Don't quote your role PMs.

5. Get choices in fast!

6. Don't edit or delete posts. If you make a mistake, you have to mop up the mess.

7. Majorities lynch, which is half + 1.

8. No lynch is possible as always.

9. No personal attacks or fear my uninhibited wrath. Thanks.

10. Don't post invisible text. HI MOM!

11. Listen to me, for I am wise. If I say something is, even if it isn't, it then is.

12. Show proper sportsmanship or ... edited for kids.

13. If you die, you may say bah. If you die, you may not say "THE ANSWER TO THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION IS 'YES!'" If you do, prepare to be boarded.
Last edited by massive on Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"1AM .. not a good time to think I started mixing massive and mathcam" - Totem, DP8
"unvote mlaker; vote massive; It's like MeMe/mneme and Corsato/Cadmium" - Dragon Phoenix, Newbie 38
PLEASE NOTE: I actively avoid being online on weekends! Don't replace me just because of this!
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (isolation #2) » Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:55 pm

Post by massive »

It is now Night One, deadlined Friday, September 30th. Please confirm role receipt and make your first night choice by then. Thanks!

(Edit on Thursday: I am just waiting for one confirm!)
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (isolation #3) » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:24 pm

Post by massive »

Daytime coming shortly, delay due to board outage. Hugs to everyone.
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (isolation #4) » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:10 am

Post by massive »

Morning dawns over the slumbering peasants of Astuto-Umore, the sounds of fresh fish and boats scraping against docks providing a familiar backdrop that allows one to momentarily forget the true danger that has been running rampant in the villages recently.

That is, until the sharp scream of a woman on her way to the baker's cuts through the air.

The people gather around quickly, where the body of
Coron
is found. Well, half of it, anyways. The top half of Coron is riddled with bullets. The bottom half is nowhere to be seen. You recognize him as Carlo Sacco, a local who had been working as an overnight sewer cleaner.

It is now Day One. There are 11 players left, which means six to lynch. If you have not received a PM from me and think you might be expecting one, it will appear shortly.
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #32 (isolation #5) » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:14 pm

Post by massive »

Official Vote Count

Kerplunk: 3 (Mr Stoofer, Fritzler, Phoebus)
Mr Stoofer: 2 (Kerplunk, Commodore Amazing)
Fritzler: 1 (Polarboy)
Commodore Amazing: 1 (draygn_mage)

Not voting: Coolbot, Fishbulb, olio, Yosarian2

Sorry about not being clear about the nightscene. And Coron was pro-town, and that is now reflected in the first post.
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #62 (isolation #6) » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:29 pm

Post by massive »

Official Vote Count

Commodore Amazing: 4 (draygn_mage, Kerplunk, Polarboy, Coolbot)
Kerplunk: 2 (Fritzler, Phoebus)
Phoebus: 2 (Mr Stoofer, Commodore Amazing)

Not voting: Fishbulb, olio, Yosarian2
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #101 (isolation #7) » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:08 pm

Post by massive »

With pitchforks in hand, the townies surround Commodore Amazing. "You're not really even a seafarer!" shouts someone in the back, and with that, the assembled mob grabs Commodore Amazing, drags him to the lynching tree, and promptly strings him up as a lesson to all supposed gardeners.

Final vote count:

Commodore Amazing: 6 (draygn_mage, Kerplunk, Polarboy, Coolbot, Phoebus, Fritzler)
Olio: 1 (Mr Stoofer)

Commodore Amazing was
Fabia Ameche
, beautiful Mafia daughter! And with the knowledge that they have done good things, the town now quietly heads to bed.

It is now night time. Please get all night moves in by Friday.
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #102 (isolation #8) » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:18 am

Post by massive »

Trepidaciosity. It's not a word in English, but in Italian there are fourteen words to describe the sense of unease that permeates the fishing villages after the events of the last day. The new day's morning sun tries valiantly to burn through the malaise covering the town, but all it manages to do is shed light on the bottom half of
Polarboy
, which is nestled amongst the clams and assorted shellfish.

Polarboy
was Palermo Vanzetti, an elderly city planner from Umore. He was pro-town.

With 8 people remaining, it will take 5 votes to lynch. Have at it!
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #128 (isolation #9) » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:51 am

Post by massive »

Official Vote Count:

Phoebus: 1 (Fritzler)
Fritzler: 1 (draygn_mage)

Not voting: The rest of y'uns

And in the future, please do not point out the shortcomings of the mod, to include his inability to count. With -9- left, it takes 5 to lynch!
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #155 (isolation #10) » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:17 am

Post by massive »

Official Vote Count:

Fritzler: 2 (draygn_mage, olio)
olio: 2 (Fritzler, Mr Stoofer)
draygn_mage: 1 (Fishbulb)

5 to lynch.
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #201 (isolation #11) » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:53 am

Post by massive »

Official End-of-Day Count:

draygn_mage: 5 (Mr Stoofer, Fritzler, Yosarian2, Fishbulb, Coolbot)
Fritzler: 1 (olio)
Fishbulb: 1 (draygn_mage)

"It was a misunderstanding! Pure speculation! Can't you smell the fish on me!?" screamed draygn_mage, as the town surrounded him. Smelly though he was,
Giuseppe Media
was still merely a fisherman, with no ties to the Mafia.

It is night! Night choices due Saturday, October 29th.
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #207 (isolation #12) » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:26 pm

Post by massive »

Due to events outside of the mod's control, night has been extended until Tuesday, November 1st. Utmost apologies.
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #208 (isolation #13) » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:28 am

Post by massive »

It was a dark and stormy night. You may think that's a cliched opening line for a murder mystery, but it didn't stop Fishbulb from being out and performing his rounds. Rain, snow, wind ... almost as reliable as the postal service,
Doctor Norbert Fluenza
didn't make it through the night. At least, not all of him, as the morning fishing crews find his left arm ... still clutching his medical bag.

With seven remaining, it will take four to lynch.
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #221 (isolation #14) » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:31 am

Post by massive »

Official Over-The-Weekend Vote Count:

olio : 2 (Mr Stoofer, Fritzler)

Not voting: the rest of the town. Get moving! Since there are seven left in the town, it takes four peeps to lynch.
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #234 (isolation #15) » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:21 pm

Post by massive »

Official Jet-Setting Vote Count:

Mr Stoofer : 3 (Kerplunk, Coolbot, olio)
olio : 2 (Mr Stoofer, Fritzler)
Coolbot : 1 (Yosarian2)

Not voting: Phoebus

Since there are seven left in the town, it takes four peeps to lynch. And in related news, I'm flying back from the US tomorrow (back to Germany) so don't expect to see me until probably Saturday.
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #262 (isolation #16) » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:44 am

Post by massive »

Official Jet-Setting Vote Count:

Mr Stoofer : 1 (olio)
olio : 3 (Mr Stoofer, Fritzler, Coolbot)

Not voting: Phoebus, Yosarian2, Kerplunk

Due to the amount of discussion that has happened since the controversial "vote", I can't count it. Since when did it become in vogue to continue talking after twilight?
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #269 (isolation #17) » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:09 am

Post by massive »

Official End-of-Day-And-My-Patience Vote Count :D :

olio : 4 (Fritzler, Coolbot, Yosarian2, Mr Stoofer)
Mr Stoofer : 1 (olio)

Not voting: Phoebus, Kerplunk

The crowd spent the day drawn in two different directions. First, it seemed as though they would lynch Mr Stoofer, until the tide turned away from the self-proclaimed cafe owner to the spaghetti-eating, gun-toting son of a fisherman, olio. And after some people cleared up their issues with the voting process, the crowd decided on lynching their vigilante. They grabbed olio, tied him up, emptied his pockets, and took him down to the dock and threw him in the river.

The contents of olio's pocket: A key to a number of warehouses around the twin villages, and a picture of his beloved daughter, Fabia. At least now
Giorgio Ameche. Mafia Don
could end his heartbreak from the untimely demise of his daughter ...

It is night! If youse gots night choices, make 'em!
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #270 (isolation #18) » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:22 am

Post by massive »

Confident that the town is on an upswing, most townies sleep soundly through the night, only rising anxiously in the morning with the hopes of returning to their regular daily lives.

Unfortunately, last night would be the worst night imaginable; the exact opposite of what they had hoped.

As they converged in the town square, they beheld a truly gruesome sight; not one, not two, but ... er ... two and a half bodies greeted them, a colossal scene that left rivulets of blood soaking into the cobblestone streets.

In one corner, the body of Mr Stoofer lay riddled with bullets. Evidently caught making a trip to the market early in the morning for fresh ingredients for his cafe,
Gino Di Cuoco
should probably have expected to pay the ultimate price for his part in yesterday's lynch.

In the town fountain, the still-warm corpse of Coobot lay sprawled over the side, a fishing knife sticking out of his back.
Saulo Mercurio
may have never amounted to much, but he had placed his high hopes in Don Ameche's mafia scheme, only to ultimately fail.

And the headless and legless torso of Yosarian2, almost lost in front of the bloody mess of the other two bodies, is propped up against the back of the fountain.
Paulo Rimborso
was doing his duty this deadly night, only to have the cold hand of death upon his shoulder. Er, the one that's missing, I guess.

With only three remaining, it will take two to lynch!
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #313 (isolation #19) » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:15 am

Post by massive »

Trembling in fear, unsure of just WHO could be left in their town to continue killing, Phoebus and Kerplunk slowly approached Fritzler.

"You've been watching the bridge this whole time, and EATING PEOPLE!" shouted Kerplunk.

"Aw, come on, how preposterous is that?" asked Fritzler, suddenly looking much larger, much meaner, and much uglier than any homeless man had a right to be.

Phoebus watched, then decided to help Kerplunk capture the hulking, ugly troll ... and a cheer went up from the crowd! Phoebus and Kerplunk strung up
Lordo
, the troll living under the bridge, and now the town is safe once again.

... what are you waiting for? Get back to fishing!
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #314 (isolation #20) » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:20 am

Post by massive »

Full disclosure coming when I get back to work tomorrow. Thanks for playing, everyone!
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #327 (isolation #21) » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:40 am

Post by massive »

Sorry, got a huge directive handed to me Tuesday at noon, which had to be done by four o'clock PM, and which then took three days. I promise, it's all coming soon!
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #329 (isolation #22) » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:03 am

Post by massive »

A little about the setup of Astuto-Umore:

While trying to come up with a gimmick for my mini, I got to thinking about a different variety of SK that "sort of" fit in with the old Italian village motif. The idea of the troll came from a horrible TV commercial where a troll waylays a British dude under a bridge, and the dude gives him various candies to placate him. Building off of the "troll under the bridge" serial killer, I decided to split the town into two towns, and that only people who crossed the bridge would be available for the troll to kill -- I made up for the limited targetting by giving the troll a nightkill immunity, which fit the idea of a troll. From there, it was also necessary to build in the dual-town structure into some of the information roles, as you'll see in the list following.

In short, I was very happy with how this turned out. As in my previous games, though, my information roles that play off the "quirk" in my setup got killed early, leaving it up to the town to discern the quirk, which they did JUST in the nick of time!

So here is the list of the roles, and then the night choices, over the next few posts.
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #330 (isolation #23) » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:04 am

Post by massive »

Anti-Town Roles

Mafia Godfather (olio), Astuto:
You are
Giorgio (Don) Ameche
, bustling Astuto businessman and (now) head of your own mafia family. Congratulations! You’ve pressed your lovely daughter Fabia (Commodore Amazing) into service, and have recruited Saulo Mercurio (Coolbot) to start your enterprise.
Each night, you may select one player to kill. You must decide who will do the killing, and pass that information along to me as well. As per regular godfather rules, you will appear innocent to any investigations that pass innocent/guilty.

You win when the mafia outnumber the remaining townies.

------

Mafia Daughter (Commodore Amazing), Astuto:
You are
Fabia Ameche
, gorgeous daughter of businessman Giorgio Ameche and proud up-and-coming mafia member! Your father (Olio) has been given his own mafia family, and has recruited Saulo Mercurio (Coolbot) to help with ... initial setup.
Each night, the mafia selects one person to kill, and which member will perform the kill. The godfather is responsible for getting that information to the mod. You may also talk amongst yourself at night.

You win when the mafia outnumber the remaining townies.

------

Mafia Stooge (Coolbot), Umore:
You are
Saulo Mercurio
, hopeless do-nothing and general lazy bum who happens to live in Umore. Luckily for you, Giorgio Ameche (Olio) has chosen you to be his mafia grunt, and to help set up the “family business” that he and his daughter Fabia (Commodore Amazing) hope to set up.
Each night, the mafia selects one person to kill, and which member will perform the kill. The godfather is responsible for getting that information to the mod. You may also talk amongst yourself at night.

You win when your mafia outnumbers the rest of the town.

------

Troll Living Under The Bridge SK (Fritzler), Neither:
You are
Lordo
, a giant troll who lives under the bridge between Umore and Astuto. Your only concern with the deaths in town is that people will be more vigilant, and thus harder for you to catch and eat.
Each night, I will send you a list of the people that cross your bridge, and you may select one to kill and eat. It is imperative that you are quick with your night choices, as I can only send you your list once I have the night choices from everyone else. As an incentive to do so, I will give you one free reprieve from a nightkill attempt on your life.

You win when you are the only person remaining in town.
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #331 (isolation #24) » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:20 am

Post by massive »

Pro-Town Roles

Doctor (Fishbulb), Astuto:
You are
Doctor Norberto Fluenza, M.D.
, proprietor of a healthy family business in the town of Astuto. You have been content up until now to wait for patients to come and see you, but with the trouble the town is currently in, you’ve decided to become more proactive in your house calls.
Each night, you may select someone whose house you will visit. If they have been shot, it will be good that you’ve shown up.

You win this game when the mafia have been purged from your villages.

------

Wanderer (Phoebus), Astuto:
You are
Lucia Camminata
, a sleepless soul of Astuto, doomed to nights of tossing and turning thanks to the threats in your village. As a result, you wander the streets of the town, kneading your hands into worried knots.
Each night, you may select someone whose house you will visit. Otherwise, you will wander randomly. It is said that shady activities happen during the night, so it would be best to keep your eyes peeled.

You win when the mafia are eliminated.

------

Modified Cop (Yosarian2), Astuto:
You are
Paulo Rimborso
, a policeman from Astuto who feels the grip of the mafia closing about his chest, and has decided that extreme action may be called for.
Each night, you have two options. You may select one person to kill as a vigilante kill. Your other option is to set up a surveillance on a player – the first night you will spy on the person to determine their affiliation; then, the second night, if that player was mafia, you make a vigilante kill; if not, you take no action.

You win when the mafia are eliminated – through whatever means necessary.

------

Cafe Owner (Mr Stoofer), Umore:
You are
Gino di Cuoco
, the owner of small but well-known tavern in Umore. You still try and keep busy serving your customers while the town searches for the mafia, but the thrill of the hunt sometimes overtakes you.
Each night, you may select a player, and the next day you will pay special attention to their eating habits as they dine in your restaurant. The next night, you may be able to figure out something helpful to the town.

You win when your peaceful hamlet is rid of the mafia.

------

Ordinary Joe (draygn_mage), Astuto:
You are
Giuseppe Media
, an average citizen of Astuto, who is shocked and appalled at the insurgence of mafia in your tiny little towns. Unfortunately, you are a mere fisherman without much more than your sharp wits ... but we’re sure you’ll put them to the best use!

You win when no more mafia reside in the villages.

------

City Planner (Polarboy), Umore:
You are
Palermo Vanzetti
, an elderly city councilman of Umore and former city planner of the twin villages. You have lived in the twin villages your entire life, and it seems like you know everyone.
Each night, you may select a player, and search your sometimes spotty memory to see if you remember who they are.

You win when all of the mafia are removed from power.

------

Overnight Sewer Worker (Coron), Umore:
You are
Carlo Sacco
, an overnight sewer worker in Umore. Even though you’d like to be able to help in all the detective work, duty calls, and as you work during the night, it’s hard for you to be helpful during the day. But still you try. [/I]Each night, you may select to work on the sewers in either Astute or Umore. Maybe you will cross somebody’s path?[/I]

You win when the mafia no longer menace your villages.

------

Lovesick Puppy (Kerplunk), Umore:
You are
Guillermo Cuorotto
, a simple fishmonger from Umore who only wishes to spend the rest of his life in his quiet town with the girl of his dreams, Fabia. The only problem is, Fabia’s father has refused to let her marry a simple fishmonger, and has squirreled her away from your lecherous eyes.
Each night, you may select someone whose house you will visit. If they are Fabia, you will be able to talk to Fabia each night.

You win when the town has rid itself of the mafia.

Some quick notes about the town roles:

The Wanderer (Phoebus) was not designed to be an information role, but a helpful target for the troll. She was, however, immune to mafia nightkills -- although Phoebus didn't know that. The opposite was true for the Cafe Owner -- by definition, he was immune to SK kills, since he did not move about.

The City Planner (Polarboy) received 50% character name, 50% what town that person lived in. Some of my names can be a bit hinty if you translate the names, and since I enjoy naming my players, this a fun thing that I like to do. I also did it in the last one.

The Overnight Sewer Worker would have received information about a random resident of whichever town he selected.

Finally, Sacco and Vanzetti! While some of the names are indicative of the role, Sacco and Vanzetti (real first names Nicola and Bartolomeo) were the defendants in a murder case who were essentially convicted (and put to death) because they were anarchists and political activists -- even though both of them had alibis. Their execution sparked off riots across Europe. I wrote a term paper on them back in high school -- the story is fascinating, and while doing some research for the game, I happened across a story about how Vanzetti was a fishmonger. So I decided to include them.
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #332 (isolation #25) » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:37 am

Post by massive »

Night One Choices:

Stoofer watched Fritzler eat.
Kerplunk checked Fishbulb to see if they were a match.
Fishbulb chose to protect CoolBot.
Yosarian2 set up surveillance on Phoebus.
Polarboy reminisced about Fishbulb, who lived in Umore.
Coron selected Astuto for his shift.

Fritzler ate Coron.
The mafia selected Commodore Amazing to kill Coron.

Night Two Choices:

Stoofer learned about Fritzler's lack of eating habits, and checked olio.
Kerplunk wanted to keep checking people despite lynching his lover.
Fishbulb protected Phoebus.
Yosarian2 completed his surveillance, learning of Phoebus's innocence.
Polarboy tried to recollect Yosarian2.

Fritzler ate Polarboy.
The mafia sent olio to kill Phoebus, who was protected by the doc.

Night Three Choices:

Stoofer watched olio eat spaghetti, and then wanted to wait on Phoebus.
Kerplunk, obviously blinded by his loss, kept sending me targets.
Fishbulb protected Fritzler's empty stomach.
Yosarian set up surveillance on Fishbulb.

Fritzler ate Fishbulb.
The mafia sent olio to kill Phoebus, who wasn't home.

Night Four Choices:

Mr Stoofer wants to wait on Coolbot, who happily obliges.
Yosarian2, his surveillance broken, performs a vig kill on Coolbot.

Fritzler ate Yosarian2.
The mafia send Coolbot to kill Stoofer.

The triple-circle kill on Night Four proved to be the defining moment in the game in terms of night choices.
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #339 (isolation #26) » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:21 am

Post by massive »

It's possible, although I think given a one troll v. one townie situation, I'd be happy letting the troll leave the bridge and eat the remaining townie, and thus getting the win.

(and then moving to another town)

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”