Newbie 961 - Game Over - Town Victory

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (isolation #0) » Wed May 26, 2010 6:44 pm

Post by startransmission »

Howdy all, a pleasure to join in this game with you. I'm your IC, which basically means that while like you I'm here to play the game, I'm also here to address any questions anyone might have etc.

A couple things about me... for one I have come off a very busy last few months, and as such for the time being I will be playing only one game at a time. This is my one game, so it will receive all of my attention. My activity on weekends will be spotty at best, Monday through Friday will have the bulk of my posting.

Vote: Doubtful

Not a big fan of the voting in order of mod list thing. Strikes me as an RNG vote pattern, which I hate because it absolves voters of accountability, which IMO defeats the purpose of even random votes. Plus,
Doubtful wrote:For no reason than randomness...
strikes me as off... why defend a random vote?
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (isolation #1) » Thu May 27, 2010 5:12 am

mallowgeno wrote:I would like to wait in line to replace someone. I'm not sure if I was supposed to post this on the thread or not, but I haven't played a game on here before. I've played on other sites however.
You need to keep your eyes open for replacement slots in the newbie queue, and PM the mod in question that you would like to replace in.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #35 (isolation #2) » Thu May 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Me=Weird wrote:I see this game hasn't had a IC post yet
See post 19. I usually refrain from explaining semantics etc. until it is brought up in the game. If someone has questions regarding acronyms or how to do something with text then that's something that can be addressed during the game. It can be confusing and/or bog things down otherwise.
Doubtful wrote:I was just stating that I had no justification for my vote, and by defending that random vote, I have (tried) to stop all questions about it until further developments . (e.g. if I don't unvote and don't reply)
Wanting to prevent anyone from questioning your votes, no matter how random, is scummy. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, as I see what you're saying. Just know that all votes are liable to be questioned and examined, so no need to be defensive. Only scum need be overly defensive of their actions. And I know that the voting order wasn't your (it seemed rather organic, I'll look at that again) idea, I was just expressing my distaste for it.
Zajnet wrote:lol are we seriously applying WIFOM to the randomness of the RVS? well... this will be an interesting game.
See post 32. RV's can and often will come up later in the game. There's information in every action, and even "random" votes can offer some insight later in the game.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (isolation #3) » Thu May 27, 2010 4:43 pm

While I do love a rousing RVS, perhaps a little RQS (Random Question Stage) is in order...

1. How much experience do you have with Mafia, be it here, on another site or in RL?

2. What's your favorite role/alignment to play?

3. How do feel about policy lynches? What about lurking?

4. How do you feel about the RVS?
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #39 (isolation #4) » Thu May 27, 2010 8:04 pm

UnLoved wrote:Um, what is a VT?
Vanilla Townie, a townie with no special abilities such as a Cop or Doctor.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #46 (isolation #5) » Fri May 28, 2010 4:13 pm

I appreciate the answers so far. Gives people a picture of who they're playing with... I just hoped that some discussion would be born from them.

I'm about to start my horrid weekend work shit, so posting will be spotty for the next two days. This is not a V/LA, I promise at least a post a day, but just know that Saturday and Sunday represent 28 hours of my work week. I hope to see some activity to respond to when I have the chance.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #48 (isolation #6) » Fri May 28, 2010 6:22 pm

UnLoved wrote:So, what shall we do now?
Find scum! :D If I get some good sleep I'll post in the morning, barring that in the evening for sure.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #55 (isolation #7) » Sat May 29, 2010 5:03 pm

shadow2222 wrote:why not ?He was simply out of ideas.
Well, this is a quick "hey I'm here" post. Nothing really to comment on, and I'm
close
to out of ideas on how to get things rolling. I'm insanely tired and a bit drunk, but hey, I warned you guys about weekends.

And I actually like my RV... I do hereby pronounce it a random vote no longer. Proper English be damned.

I would like to see more activity, especially out of Me=Wierd.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #71 (isolation #8) » Sun May 30, 2010 4:07 pm

Posts 57, 59, and 66 are on my "must respond to" list. Sadly I'm (insanely) tired and in no condition to put down a proper post. Consider this a bookmark.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #82 (isolation #9) » Mon May 31, 2010 6:18 am

Doubtful wrote:
Conclusion:

Throughout the posting, startransmission emphasized activity. However, he never did make a random vote, while in his last post he stated that he has. His only vote (against me) was based on gut instinct, and not randomness.
That's not entirely true. My vote for you was random in that I had no clue as to your alignment, and I had no reason to vote for you specifically. However, I did find one thing you said a bit off, and wanting to avoid the voting order that had formed I chose to vote for you. So yes, not entirely random, but for all intents and purposes...random.
Doubtful wrote:If there's no activity, one of Me=Weird, UnLoved, or Doubtful would be lynched (depending on last second votes to save oneself) However, the two votes on all three people are random (except startransmission's gut instinct which he claims to be random). Scum want a random vote... so by wanting activity he is less likely to be scum.
While I appreciate that you feel that my wanting more town discussion makes me likelier to be town, that's not always the case. And I can almost guarantee you (and certainly hope) that by deadline/lynch the votes that are placed will be not at all random.
Doubtful wrote:In addition, scum normally do not make votes based on gut instinct, because people might do the same to them. Scum want no-lynch or random lynch, so they'll vote randomly. I think startransmission's mistake with the RV vs. Gut Instinct might just be a small one, and I cannot see scum making that mistake, for fear of someone pointing it out. Scum would recheck their last vote and explanation, and try to be similar to town. Town would want, in contrast, to act differently.
I hate to cover this again, but what mistake did I make? As I said earlier, when I voted for you I had no clue as to what your alignment was. I did not vote for you because I thought that you were scum.
Doubtful wrote:For the previous reasons, I personally think startransmission is a VT. He wants to pick out the scum by eccentricity.
I'm going to try to pick out the scum by using tried and true methods of questioning, pressuring, and discussing.
shadow2222 wrote:i have new random question :D.Please answer honestly.
Are you mafia in this game ?
I'm not sure what to make of this question. It's fluff, and rather useless.

I don't have time at the moment to get into post 66 and beyond, but I will this evening. In the meantime...
startransmission wrote:I would like to see more activity, especially out of Me=Wierd.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #98 (isolation #10) » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:08 pm

Hey guys, just got off work and have the day off tomorrow, so I'll have more time to get into things. Let me relax a bit and I'll throw up a post tonight.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #101 (isolation #11) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:36 am

Unvote

Wanted to do that before I started posting, don't want any "accidental" hammers.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #102 (isolation #12) » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:01 am

Ok, I'm going to do a little PBPA (Player by Player Analysis-or sometimes post by post) to get things rolling again. It'll help me get around to responding to some things, as well as to crystallize my opinions of the players and the game thus far. And hopefully inspire some discussion. I'll keep it brief, which should be easy as there is very little to go over.

RealityFan
- Only three posts, the first two were his vote for me which he did in the order of the pattern. After that he answered my questions. Hasn't posted since last Thursday, and is on V/LA now. Obviously someone that we need to hear more from.

Skunkape
- RV'd Unloved, answered my questions, a fluff post, and then a vote for Shadow2222. I like his explanation for his vote.

stillawesome
- RV'd doubtful, noted the RV order, responds to being referred to as "jumpy", uses a Dilbert cartoon to illustrate the "problem with randomness", answers my questions. He says he views lurking as a null tell, and while I see his point about it not being an indicator of honesty, I do not view lurking as a null tell. Last post was on Monday, when he said he would put up a nice juicy post. So far nothing.

Zajnet
- Initially RV's Shadow2222 as it is in order, but seems to recognize how invaluable that is to the RVS and moves his vote to stillawesome. Welcomes Me=Wierd, moves his vote to skunkape for not having had voted yet. Asks Me=Wierd a question outside of the game, and then asks if WIFOM is being applied to the RVS. WIFOM is a beast and often rears its head during RVS. I'm surprised that Zajnet wasn't expecting it. Anyways, answers my questions, moves his vote to Unloved, and implies that it is random, though there is a weak reason behind it.
Zajnet wrote:
RealityFan wrote:Meh, I tend to lurk a little regardless of my alignment, so I don't consider it a scum-tell.
While this could be the simple truth, something, I guess you could call it a gut instinct, makes me think that this is him trying to cover for his lurking if he is doing it for scummy reasons. Has anyone played with RealityFan and can speak to his lurking as scum and/or town?
This I find interesting. I see Zajnets point here, but it feels a bit like he's reaching for straws and perhaps trying to make something out of pretty much nothing. I'd like to see a response to the from RealityFan. So, afterwards points out that he feels that Doubtful was making too much out Unloved's RV which leads to a mini discussion about RV's etc. After this he says that he feels Unloved is town, and moves his vote to Doubtful while FoS'ing Shadow2222 for not posting content. This vote puts Doubtful at L-1.

@Zajnet, were you aware that you were putting Doubtful at L-1?

Me=Wierd
Comes in as a replacement for Viral Maze. RVs Skunkape and gives some pointers regarding text. Answers a question from Zajnet, and then answers my questions. After not posting for a bit I restate my wish for him to post more. Despite not having posted for two days, within 5 minutes of my post asking for more, he responds. This sticks out to me a bit, while it could just be a coincidence...it's a sign of an active lurker. He seems disappointed at the lack of grandeur in my opening post. I feel that I explained my stance on explaining semantics and strategy in an opening post, but if there are any questions regarding that I'm happy to elaborate. Since then no other activity.

Ok, to avoid a Wall O' Text, I'll get to Doubtful and Unloved later on this evening, as well as further thoughts on Zajnet, Shadow2222, and the Doubtful wagon.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #113 (isolation #13) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:47 pm

Me=Weird wrote:
clock wrote:tick-tock tick-tock tick-tock
Also, STM said he would have thoughts on other people about, oh,
hours ago, and he hasn't. I think I'll go ahead and
Unvote, Vote: startransmission.
Yeah, well as you've pointed out, RL has its ways. I will point out however, that I have consistently posted throughout the game, have asked questions, and have posted my thoughts on most players and so forth. Whereas you have not done any of these things.

I don't have any real indication on your possible alignment, as you have offered even less content than Shadow2222, but I find your vote very off. You're voting for me because I haven't gotten to the last two players and some preliminary conclusions?
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #114 (isolation #14) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:51 pm

Also, Me=Wierd, post 35 is where I somewhat explain my approach to being an IC in a game. As I've said, if there are any questions or if you wish for further elaboration, don't hesitate to ask.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #115 (isolation #15) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:53 pm

Furthermore! My last few words on the game thus far will have to wait a bit, it's been a busier week than I anticipated. I will have them up tonight, tomorrow afternoon at the latest. Sorry guys, being a working man sucks sometimes.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #119 (isolation #16) » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:54 pm

I fail again, weekends are awful for me. Tomorrow I hope to finish what I started, but at the very least tomorrow is kinda a Friday for me. Sooner than later.

I would feel worse, but absolutely nobody else has posted any kind of content since I last posted. I know I'm belaboring the point here, but being voted for not finishing my mini PBPA while all other players (and especially the person who casted the vote) have done next to nothing this game has me dispirited.

Oh, and
Vote: Me:Weird

OMGUS? Nope.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #134 (isolation #17) » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:12 pm

Zajnet wrote:The reason I didn't vote for stillawesome is because he was simply lurking, while shadow2222 was actively lurking, that is, he was posting plenty, but providing no content. IMO active lurking is worse because we know that that person is reading the thread and has time to respond, but isn't providing content.
Kinda explains my vote on Me=Wierd.
Me=Weird wrote:STM: My name is Me=Weird not Me:Weird. Please hurry up with your views.
Sorry about misspelling your name. And I take umbrage with you asking me to continue on about my views when have (a. Not provided any of your own, and (b. I have explained how limited my time is on weekends.

Welcome AurorusVox! I have to say that for reasons that others have explained, I found your predecessor rather scummy, but not overly so. I an see a newbie townie who doesn't understand the game posting much the way Shadow did, so I'm going to give you clean slate.
Skunkape wrote:I won't be able to make a large post for awhile, real life events are keeping me busy this week, however AurorusVox has dispelled most of my concerns on shadow2222.

So that I can continue to be productive to the town, I'm going to go ahead and
Unvote
and
Vote:StillAwesome
for lurking.

KEEP IN MIND, THIS IS L-2, ONE MORE VOTE PUTS HIM IN RISK OF BEING SPEEDLYNCHED - Act cautiously
Hmm. This post tickles my spidey-senses. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, I understand that the role he was suspicious of has been filled by somebody who he doesn't find nearly as suspicious. But it's where the vote moved that is odd to me, soon after Me=Wierd requests a prod (rightly so) on StillAwesome Skunk moves his vote accordingly. It feels a bit like aping. And what accentuates my uneasiness about this post is the warning of the possible speedlynch. For one, if someone were to L-1 StillAwesome and then he were quickly lynched soon after, that would likely benefit town. But more importantly, it's just a very unlikely thing to have happen, and the warning is very dramatic. It kinda screams "look at me, I'm a townie who wants to prevent rash action".

I will temper this with acknowledging his post 90, where he explains his vote on Shadow2222. Part of his reasoning was Shadow putting Doubtful at L-2, so it's something that he's clearly sensitive of, and there is precedent of it. Still, the post stood out to me.

I
will
get to Unloved and Doubtful, as well as expounding on Zajnet. It will be a longer post, as there is more to talk about, and that is why it's been hard for me to do get to it these last couple of days. But, it's my Friday, and I have two days of nothingness to fill ahead of me.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #138 (isolation #18) » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:26 am

Me=Weird wrote:So STM, do you have a case on me, or is it just my "active lurking"? I will, as soon as a different game I'm in goes to night phase(the deadline is in a couple days) reread and post my views on the people I find scummiest, not everyone though, to avoid helping scum know who to NK. Also, when I do my reread, I will address that post of Skunks.
No, if had a case on you I would present it and encourage others to vote for you as well. My vote for you is indeed because of your "active lurking". You come on often enough to chastise me for not getting my views out fast enough, all the while providing no opinions of your own otherwise. The hypocrisy bothers me. You post occasionally, but have yet to take any position and I find that worth a vote.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #139 (isolation #19) » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:02 pm

Doubtful
His early posts I covered pretty well already. The defensiveness over his RV and his noticing of the RV pattern itself I've addressed. After answering my questions he FoS's Shadow for "not interpreting Zajnets vote" (and I should make clear what "the game" is... I know I'm likely missing the obvious). This bit confuses me, I'm not sure why Shadow not interpreting a vote is worthy of suspicion. Then comes a semi-post by post of me, where he considers my RV to be eccentric for not being 100% random, and declares me to be town. I respond to this post later. After answering Shadow2222s ridiculous question with a no, he moves his vote to Unloved. He points out that it puts Unloved at L-2, but seems to feel that because of the low activity it's the best vote. But he bolsters his vote with a semi-post by post of Unloved where he criticizes Unloved's voting and his comments on lurking. The following posts are where my ignorance of what this "game" is hurts me. More arguments follow about the RVS, which lead to an FoS of Zajnet. You all read this stuff for yourselves, but I will say that I like the tone of Doubtful here. He's engaging people, being vocal about his positions, and is active. For his efforts he soon finds himself at L-1, where he claims VT. He gives some last opinions on people in the game, and votes Shadow2222 which I appreciate as his lynch was very possible. I also appreciate his comment on it not being a "give-up" post. All in all, his response under pressure gives me a warm feeling. Doubtful is very low on my scumdar currently, and I find his bandwagon very interesting.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #150 (isolation #20) » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:16 pm

^ I actually had other reasons that I suspected him, though I didn't believe for a second that he didn't know that he was putting Doubtful at L-1. That was kinda an icing on the cake. I wanted to get into the Doubtful wagon more, but you beat me to it, and I whole heartedly agree with your assessment. I still plan to explain what the other factors are for me.

Unvote, Vote: Zajnet
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #167 (isolation #21) » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:38 am

RL sucks... I hope to have a post up this evening, and the things I paln to address are-
startransmission wrote:^ I actually had other reasons that I suspected him...I still plan to explain what the other factors are for me.
AurorusVox wrote:I'd like to hear why
you
think Zajnet is scum, because so far you've made a lot of promises and left a number of them unfulfilled. (I understand IRL issues may be the cause of this, but it'd be nice to get something solid from your next post)
Zajnet wrote:startransmission is starting to ping the edges of my scumdar. I'll do a more detailed PBPA when I get the chance, but he's been hopping wagons all over the place.
AurorusVox wrote:Me=Weird, I am very uncomfortable with your vote. You've used someone else's reasons to justify putting someone at L-1? This looks incredibly scummy to me.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #196 (isolation #22) » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:26 pm

Wow, shiny new forum.

Sooo... I have some posting to do, but I've spent the last couple of days playing Marathon at the shelter site. I figure that the deadline is adjusted for moving time?
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #206 (isolation #23) » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:34 am

Bah! Go Town.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #357 (isolation #24) » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:33 pm

I appreciate the reprieve. I have to say that I did read the rules, and that rule stuck out to me. Unfortunately when I posted my Bah post I just wasn't thinking about it, and didn't think about it until CSL pointed it out. CSL had every right to withhold the win from me, and I'm sorry for the mistake.

But! Town won, CSL is being gracious, and I'm glad. Well played all. I was so tempted to investigate Me=Weird on N1, but went for Auros instead. In a way I'm glad, had I got the guilty result and then been killed I would have been quite frustrated.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”