Newbie 962 (Game Over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
vrtra
vrtra
Goon
vrtra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (isolation #0) » Sun May 30, 2010 1:36 pm

Post by vrtra »

Hey everyone, I am one of your 2 SE's. This is my third game and I'm excited to get it moving after a long confirmations phase ;p
Kleedrac wrote:3 days and several replacements later and we're under way. Considering no one LIKES playing scum and the role got several replacements it's safe to assume that GroupThink is scummy!
Vote GroupThink
I liked playing scum last game; you are overgeneralizing!
Vote: Kleedrac
Show
The personification of chaos

Role: W/L
Town: 1/0
Scum: 1/0
vrtra
vrtra
Goon
vrtra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #44 (isolation #1) » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:33 pm

Post by vrtra »

1. Where you from?
Bay Area, CA baby.

2. Coke or Pepsi?
Coke.

3. Are you nervous?
No.

4. Whats your playstyle?And if you've never played before what would you do in a panicky situation?
I play a calm, collected game and am not afraid to act on strong suspicions I get from people.

5. Are you excited to play?
Absolutely.

6. Lynch all lurkers?
No, RL may be preventing them from posting. Lurking is a null tell at best and a scum tell at worst.

7. Lynch all Liars?
Quite contextual, but as a broad answer I'd say yes.
Remy wrote:Vote: Robocopter87 for waiting until after he reads our answers before he posts his own answers to his questions. Scummy move imo.
Unvote, Vote: Remy

A newbie scum would be likely to be looking for things to jump out at people for, and this seems like a good case of it.
Show

vrtra
vrtra
Goon
vrtra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #109 (isolation #2) » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:26 pm

Post by vrtra »

Hey all, sorry for an extended absence of my presence within the thread; as perviously stated in this thread it is a busy time of year for students- last week of school next week and only finding time to post late Friday night (I will try my hardest to post at least once a day now). This will be a catch-up post mostly.

I'm liking the activity within the thread as well as the lack of deadweight players.

Kleedrac, your views are quite wrong about what is good for town, however you come across as town to me because of some genuine concern I sense from your posts and flawed arguments.
Remy wrote:Vote: vrtra
Because he has only posted twice so far in the whole thread, and hasn't contributed much of anything to the discussion despite being one of the more "experienced" players who is supposed to be helping us newbies learn how to play. Why lurk, unless you are scum?
So, your whole basis for voting me is because I have been "lurking"? I understand (as stated in your next post) that you're looking for SOMETHING to vote SOMEONE for, but the vote seems a little rushed. As for a defense, the only one I can provide when you are purely voting me for lurking is that I will try to find time to post more until finals are done.

Tidher, welcome to the game. Tidher comes off as town for the moment.

AKR is looking pretty bad to me right now. Mainly, he places a FoS on Robo for not voting beyond the RVS stage on page 4. A mafia would try to incite a lot of voting around so it would be easier for him to slip through the cracks and provide vague defense for votes hastily put on him. It is a good way to gauge how the town is. While this isn't a lot of necessarily verifiable and textbook material, it's my own experience from what I've seen / read. Then, he overreacts to a point made by Robo asking him (AKR) and Cove to tone it down a little bit by saying "toning it down= not scumhunting" which isn't what he was saying at all.

Going back to Kleedrac, claiming VT so crazy early is nothing but anti-town, giving scum more potential PR targets; that was quite unwise, but you overall seem to come off as town because of reasons stated above.
Kleedrac wrote: I didn't then and still don't believe waiting at L-1 for a claim does anything but give the scum one last chance at a way out. I still won't hesitate to drop a hammer on anyone I feel is deserving.
However, while he may come off as town, this one quote bothers me quite a bit; I'll be keeping a sharp eye on your posting patterns.

Cove, and along with a few other people:
Trying not to sound like a commentator or narrator here, but it seems like a few people are trying to move out with votes/confirm votes and multiple FOS's very early. While your intentions could be different than what they seem, it is very important to consider how you come across towards the other people playing this game with you. Votes are valuable; the most valuable and precious tool town has during the day.

Unvote, Vote: AKnottedRope

AKR seems like the best vote right now, because of his interactions/reactions with Robo and posting style.
Show

vrtra
vrtra
Goon
vrtra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #141 (isolation #3) » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:49 pm

Post by vrtra »

Personally, I don't find any players in this game annoying, a lot of posting does not equate to annoyance unless they are one-line stupid posts.
It is quite a shame that people have resorted to "I'm not talking until these other people do."
One thing I would urge the town to do right now is very carefully examine that little back-and-forth Robo and AKR had.
Remy wrote:Robo is either a townie who is secretly gathering lots of wonderful data about everyone and is going to tell us more about what he thinks of them later...or he is scum and he has singled out AKR as the townie who annoys him the most and is trying to get us to lynch him so he doesn't have to deal with him anymore. What do you guys think?
Quite frankly, I don't think either of these situations is what's going on. They are either both sub-par town players or two scum bickering with each other (previously planned maybe). I'll have to look at both of their posts a little more in-depth and I'll follow up with a post on exactly that later tonight, but those are my current theories. One thing that is
for sure
however, is that this argument they had was VERY anti-town. If they are both scum this is a moot point, but this whole thing is drawing a lot of attention away from other people in the game;
Remy wrote: There seems to be some conflicting ideas between the more experienced players in this game over how voting should work on D1. Cove has been pushing people to vote from early on, even if they have no solid evidence. Robo on the other hand advocates gathering "real" evidence against someone before voting. This being my first game ever I can't say from experience which method is better for town on Day 1, but I'm hoping someone else can build on this and tell me if they think Cove's method is more of a town tell or scum tell.
From my experience, if a player knows what they're doing, voting someone for a reaction (or, reaction-hunting) can be very useful and can catch some scum. However, I would personally say overall, unless you know what you're doing, it is not wise to be throwing your vote around with "solid" accusations with nothing to back them up is negative as a whole.

As of right now I have a solid town-read on Remy; she is bringing the attention back to everyone in the game rather than allowing the primary tunneling-esque attention of this game at the moment between AKR and Robo to continue. Kleedrac is still feeling pretty townish to me, and I'll provide my opinions on the AKR/Robo conflict tonight as stated previously.
Show

vrtra
vrtra
Goon
vrtra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #142 (isolation #4) » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:17 pm

Post by vrtra »

EBWOP:
Vrtra wrote: If they are both scum this is a moot point, but this whole thing is drawing a lot of attention away from other people in the game;
SHOULD be...
If they are both scum this is a moot point, but this whole thing is drawing a lot of attention away from other people in the game; allowing potential scum to be getting away with lurking and not doing anything.
Show

vrtra
vrtra
Goon
vrtra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #153 (isolation #5) » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:39 pm

Post by vrtra »

AKR wrote: Why would you "urge the town" to do something that you could just as easily do yourself? This doesn't sit right for me. It sounds like you're trying to give the appearance of scumhunting. I could see something like this coming from scum because it's harder to do an analysis of an argument like mine and robo's if you're not a part of the town and therefore know our alignments already. EGMEOY
Why WOULDN'T I want the town to be thinking and analyzing major events in this thread (and yes, those were major events this early in the game) and make their own opinions about them? It seems like you are trying to discourage the rest of the town to do some analyzing? And no, it isn't harder to do an analysis if you know someone's alignment.
What does EGEMOY mean?
Show

vrtra
vrtra
Goon
vrtra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #165 (isolation #6) » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:03 pm

Post by vrtra »

Will post tomorrow, studying tonight. Finals >_>
Robo, do everyone a favor and stop being a douche.
Show

vrtra
vrtra
Goon
vrtra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #219 (isolation #7) » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:42 pm

Post by vrtra »

Mod: Please replace me.

Life is just much too hectic for this game right now, hopefully my replacement will be able to devote adequate time for this game.
Show

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”