Newbie 994: Stop! In the Name of Sudo! Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
needle
needle
Townie
needle
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (isolation #0) » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:14 am

Post by needle »

confirm
needle
needle
Townie
needle
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (isolation #1) » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:21 pm

Post by needle »

Hello everyone!

This is my first time playing mafia on a forum. I've only ever played in real life.
When I first joined the group of people I played with, we did a similar random voting stage that I've noticed through my perusal of past games on here.
Recently we've tried to move away from that and generate more conversation just about game dynamics, styles of play etc. rather than just grilling everyone. I have personally found that more effective but it's a bit more meta which I guess is useless in a game with people I've never played with before. I believe it's similar to the random question stage that I've noticed on here in place of the RVS. So I think I'll try doing that this game :)

More directed to IC/SE's:
What do you think about RVS vs. RQS?

For everyone:
What's your experience playing mafia? Is it in real life, forums, chat, etc.?
What do you think the pros/cons may be of playing online vs. real life?
Do you think wanting to skip RVS in favour of RQS is scummy of me?
needle
needle
Townie
needle
Townie
Townie

Post Post #25 (isolation #2) » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:42 am

Post by needle »

theperson wrote: Lynch all Liars?
Is lurking scummy?
I think lying is rarely a townie move, unless they can prove why their lie was beneficial, I would lynch.

I think lurking where no contributions are made is more useless to the town than suspicious.
Lurking where you're contributing but just adding noise to the conversation seems way more scummy to me because it's as if you're trying to fly under the radar as town.
seth wrote: @needle
Why do you care about what we think about you so early on in the game?
I care less about what people think of me this early, and more about peoples' responses and reasoning in hopes that it would generate conversation to propel the game.
seth wrote: @Danny
Is there a reason why you don't want to answer any of the questions that have been asked? Or is there a reason why you haven't?
I would like to know this as well, Danny.
seth wrote: Vote: dimaba

Here's to hoping that not every single one of your posts is as long as 21.
What do you dislike about lengthy posts? If anything they may have more information for the town to go on.
maxmatsu wrote: "What do you think of someone hammering, specially right away?"
I think it's scummy to hammer if you don't allow the person to declare/defend themselves and/or you haven't voiced any previous suspicions of said person.

I think even if you're not hammer, but you're still in at the end and haven't really given strong reasons for your vote then it may also be suspicious.
needle
needle
Townie
needle
Townie
Townie

Post Post #39 (isolation #3) » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:38 pm

Post by needle »

seth wrote: @iamatree
I'm trying to start a BW to make it more interesting
, the chance that someone will seriously be lynched off of RVS is less than .001%.
needle wrote: I care less about what people think of me this early, and more about peoples' responses and reasoning in hopes that
it would generate conversation to propel the game
Seth, I figure that by "interesting" you mean something similar to "propelling the game", which is my reasoning for asking my third question.

You're voting for me because you think my answer was scummy, but you are also using similar reasoning for your actions.
I feel it's faulty logic to believe people are scummy for something you're doing as well, unless you're scum. Are you?
needle
needle
Townie
needle
Townie
Townie

Post Post #57 (isolation #4) » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:59 pm

Post by needle »

Seems like I have quite a bit to catch up on!
I should be making a post late tomorrow, I've got an exam tomorrow morning and on Tuesday as well so I need to find time to work around studying/etc.

(Also - just noticed you're all calling me a him, fyi I'm a girl :P)
needle
needle
Townie
needle
Townie
Townie

Post Post #68 (isolation #5) » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:53 pm

Post by needle »

theperson wrote:I'm also interested to see how needle will respond, and just her reaction to seeing most of this thread is talking about her. :wink:
I'm so popular!

I'm going to try and clear up what I asked, and why I asked it as those seem to be the biggest questions towards me currently.
seth wrote:Player A: Ok guys, what do you all think about RVS vs RQS? Do you guys think I'm scum for asking that?
needle wrote:Do you think wanting to skip RVS in favour of RQS is scummy of me?
I think you have some confusion in what I asked, or a different interpretation at least. I was more asking about my actions rather than my previous questions. I say it's a stretch to call my question cautious as it obviously puts my alignment up for debate.

I'll admit it's probably not the best question, but I didn't feel my first two questions were things that would create some sort of controversy and start a lot of conversation.

I asked my first two with the intention of getting to know everyone I'm playing with, their familiarity with the game, how people post, and think through things.
I didn't expect them to start conversation that would involve the current game at hand. I was at a bit of a loss for what a good question would be to achieve this. I decided on this one because it did two things:

1) It forces people to make some sort of decision about me, and if those decisions differ debate ensues
2) I personally thought opting to do RVS over RQS is a null-tell and I was curious to see who else would think that, who would say it's town, if someone would jump on and say it's scummy. I don't think this is useful information this early in the game, I thought it might be useful later.
seth wrote: I'm not seeing any progress, I'm seeing us arguing about it which is boring and superficial.
To be fair, I think some progress has occurred, there's pressure on me discuss things, and there's a BW forming on you and votes and discussion mean information!
iamatree wrote:Well I"m going to get on the bandwagon here and
Vote: Seth
just because you sound the most suspicous to me so far..
Why do you think Seth seems suspicious? Is it for the same reasons as the other players? Is there something that he did that seems suspicious that you want to know more reasons for? If so you should ask him. Placing a vote and stating you find that person suspicious isn't really a random vote, but it's also doesn't seem like a well founded one.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”