Newbie 994: Stop! In the Name of Sudo! Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (isolation #0) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:42 pm

Post by theperson »

Confirm.
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (isolation #1) » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:16 pm

Post by theperson »

answers
needle wrote:What do you think about RVS vs. RQS?
Well, I'm more accustomed to the RVS, but I think both serve as a good introduction to the game. I think whichever town is more comfortable with is a better way to start.
needle wrote:What's your experience playing mafia? Is it in real life, forums, chat, etc.?
I've played a few games in real life, and I've completed two games here. I'm also in one other.
needle wrote:What do you think the pros/cons may be of playing online vs. real life?

I think you have to think much more in online mafia, which is a pro for me, but the con is that you spend a lot more time on it. A real life game is one that just goes by fast and is based on more facial expressions, etc. than actions. So if you have a group of friends, just have fun and play a real life game. However if you're willing to spend some time, online games are very fun and get you thinking.
needle wrote:Do you think wanting to skip RVS in favour of RQS is scummy of me?
It's not as much skipping as it is choosing RQS over RVS, but it's not scummy at all. It's just a matter of preference, which doesn't really have any influence from your role.

So yeah, I'm one of your SEs along with dimaba, which means that we have played at least 2 games here. However, the most experienced player and the one who can best answer most theory/game related questions is Debonair Danny DiPietro. He's an IC, meaning he's played at least 5 games and has applied to become an IC.

I also have a few questions to add:

Lynch all Liars?
Is lurking scummy?

My responses:

Lynch all Liars? Usually, almost always in a newbie game, but it really varies from case to case. If it's lylo, you really need to consider because if they're lying townie, you lose.]

Is lurking scummy? Well, you can never tell if it's due to real life issues unless they tell you. However I think active lurking is scummy. That's when you only post to prevent being prodded, you never contribute to the discussions. Townies should have no reason to do this so I feel it's scummy.
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (isolation #2) » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:25 am

Post by theperson »

maxmatsu wrote:What do you think of someone hammering, specially right away?
Well, I think a hammer is fine if

1. The whole or most of the town has agreed to it; or in some cases
2. It's near deadline. The exception is if you have a choice between two hammers when one of the people is obviously scummier, and you choose the townier one. But typically a hammer to prevent a no lynch is fine.

Quicklynches are almost always scummy, it indicates that you want to end the day faster (less discussion for town, always a bad thing), and sometimes shows you're desperate for a lynch.
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #53 (isolation #3) » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:16 pm

Post by theperson »

Wow. I was a bit busy recently, but I really should have posted something. I'll try to be a lot more active now.
dimaba wrote:@theperson: why have you not responded for so long if you have visited these forums over the past two days? If it is a time issue, why didn't you take the time to drop us a line?
Sorry. The first day, I checked but didn't really have anything to add. The next day, I was in a bit of a rush. I really should have posted something, I guess. Sorry about that. I'll try to be a lot more active, as I said. There's no excuse for being prodded so early, unless you are gone unexpectedly.

About what's going on about needle, I think it's a null tell. It's his first game, he was probably checking to see if we thought it was OK to have RQS instead of RVS. I think it could have been worded better, but I don't find it scummy.

Seth, why do you want to bandwagon on needle? I see no reason to do that, because I don't find him scummy and it's not really RVS anymore, at least your vote isn't. I don't find needle scummier than any other player, but I do think it's good that you're trying to make a case because it'll help the game get started.
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #64 (isolation #4) » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:56 am

Post by theperson »

Seth - what I'm trying to say is...Why do you want US to bandwagon on needle when we clearly don't find her scummy?

I'm also interested to see how needle will respond, and just her reaction to seeing most of this thread is talking about her. :wink:
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #81 (isolation #5) » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:55 pm

Post by theperson »

iamatree is acting a bit strange...It seems, as Applefarmer said, that he is trying to fit in. Town might do this but I think it's a bit of a scumtell. I have a town read on both seth and needle, because I think needle is fine in the way he explained and seth seems town for making the first argument, which I understand where he's coming from but disagree. So I'll go ahead and VOTE: iamatree.
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #85 (isolation #6) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:25 am

Post by theperson »

Well, town won't necessarily unvote if the answer makes you less scum. Only if it makes you less scummy than someone else. They have no reason to switch their vote if they still feel that person is scummiest.
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #90 (isolation #7) » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:46 pm

Post by theperson »

Seth: I think scum would be more tentative to come off accusing immediately like you did. It's not I think you're town, but leaning town.

Also, I should have said this a while ago, but if you don't have an avatar, it's helpful if you get one. Typically you associate players with their avatars. It helps subconsciously distinguish between players without actually looking at their names. It doesn't have to be good, just look at mine... :P
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #100 (isolation #8) » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:46 am

Post by theperson »

Thanks iamatree and applefarmer. That will make it easier to read.

@DDDP: Why do you think you'll be the only one with a suspicion at deadline? We already have (as a town) suspicions on warriormode, iamatree, and seth.
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #107 (isolation #9) » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:21 am

Post by theperson »

Hi again, DavidParker!
DavidParker wrote:For this, treeboy has jumped onto my town list!
I'm sure you meant to say treegirl. :wink:

Also, I hadn't really noticed before, but you can select your gender by going User Control Panel --> Profile --> Gender. Then there will be less mistakes when it comes to s/he.

But the quote from iamatree, newb scum could just be afraid of messing up. I think there's a pretty good chance that iamatree is newb scum, but also a pretty good chance that she's newb town. My vote's just there because I feel it's best there. I'm not getting scummy vibes from DDDP the way some people are.
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #145 (isolation #10) » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:08 pm

Post by theperson »

Wow, I forgot to post again. Really sorry, guys. I haven't had as much time on mafiascum lately.

Anyway, this whole DDDP thing: This might sound weird, but I think both Applefarmer and DDDP are town. Applefarmer has been going a lot at DDDP, and the way he's arguing just comes off as town. I understand his arguments, but disagree with a lot of them. DDDP has been doing a good job keeping this going and pointing out where people are going wrong.

The DP calling his predecessor scummy incident: I don't think it's a very strong case. I've done that as town before, I don't think it's a definite scumtell.

As for the alliance thing: I'm not sure what to think of that. I've never seen anything like it. I guess I'd be willing to do it if others are.
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #205 (isolation #11) » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:00 pm

Post by theperson »

Alright guys,
I am the cop
. DavidParker is mafia. I didn't realize it was day till I got my prod, I'll read up to what's been said so far.
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #207 (isolation #12) » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:04 pm

Post by theperson »

Wow, I forgot to vote...

VOTE: DavidParker
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #309 (isolation #13) » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:48 am

Post by theperson »

Awesome. Town win. I felt Amished's tell had a decent chance of being right, and DP seemed to charge in a little bit more than a previous game I played with him in which he was town. So I went for his investigation. When he counterclaimed I felt I could make a convincing argument to get him lynched rather than me, then he selfvoted to make things easier. Good job for catching the remaining scum though!
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #311 (isolation #14) » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:44 pm

Post by theperson »

Decent = 100%. Sorry if I confused you. :P

And Amished, how did you find this thread anyway?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”