Newbie 1046: Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
nikitakit
nikitakit
Townie
nikitakit
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (isolation #0) » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:41 pm

Post by nikitakit »

1. I'm not going to be without Internet access anytime soon, but I am a little busy. Can't say how it will affect my play
2. I've read the wiki, not so much the discussion forum
3. I read old games for fun, but by day two there's so much discussion that I can't keep track of all of it
4. Only one game on site -- and I played terribly. Hopefully this time won't be as bad
Vote: Ghostlin
... random.org pick; can't think of a clever reason
nikitakit
nikitakit
Townie
nikitakit
Townie
Townie

Post Post #54 (isolation #1) » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:29 pm

Post by nikitakit »

I've been a little busier than I expected. It's likely that I won't be posting more than once per day for the next few days.
About the main points that have been brought up:

Haylen's statement stands out a little because it takes a certain personality to say that kind of thing casually. I don't know enough about Haylen's playing style to tell if it's scummy or not. I see no reason to make a big discussion out of it at this point. I'm leaning scummy on WhenInRome, partially because of the AwesomePoe comment but mostly because I can't understand his arguments against Deer. The point about those two quotes may have some validity, but I see it more as the "they're not convinced, let's dig up some more evidence" type post than "this is the reason why I find Deer scummy". That's fine, but I'm not clear about the other evidence. Your vote is still from RVS: when did it become a real vote, or is it still a vote in the absense of better options?

It's hard to get a good read on anyone else. AwesomePoe seems slightly townish. I'll need to do a re-read before I can comment on StefanB or Ghostlin.
nikitakit
nikitakit
Townie
nikitakit
Townie
Townie

Post Post #73 (isolation #2) » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:19 pm

Post by nikitakit »

I did some isos on several more players, here are my thoughts...
StefanB: I can't tell who your primary suspects are right now. You unvoted Ghostlin, and from the iso I see no other accusations.
StefanB wrote:Important: IF the DISCUSION between Ghostlin and me is the problem, just ignore it. It isn't at the front at the moment, just start to play.
I don't get what you're saying here. You're pretty much the most active people here, I don't get what you mean by "ignoring" you.

Ghostlin: "Causal inception" and Vote/unvote are the only things that stand out to me, but that's not enough to base a case on.

Deer: Lots of short posts. It annoyed me slightly at first, but then I looked back through Deer's posts from other games saw that they're all very short as well. Other than that, I find it hard to get a read.

WhenInRome remains my top suspect for now because he's been pushing an accusation based on evidence I'm not clear about. I'll wait for some comments from StefanB before making up my mind about him.
nikitakit
nikitakit
Townie
nikitakit
Townie
Townie

Post Post #105 (isolation #3) » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:29 pm

Post by nikitakit »

Sorry guys, I'm overwhelmed with stuff in real life. Yes, I know that lurking is bad, and I'm trying to fix that. If I can't get myself to post more often within the next day, I'll probably have to ask for a replacement.

StefanB: The way I'm understanding you is that your #1 concern is to do something about all of the lurkers. Hope that's an accurate description. Here's a question: do you support policy-lynching all lurkers, or are you going after lurkers right now only because there aren't decent scumtells around?

WhenInRome:
WhenInRome wrote: I don't see how "causal inception" is scummy
I'm not saying it's scummy, I'm saying the phrase caught my attention and confused me. Not necessarily a scumtell.

Ghostlin:

#1 is misinterpreting my vote, which is still from RVS. I haven't cast an actual vote yet in the game because at the time of my first WIR accusation, before is that he was at L-2) To be clear,

Unvote

#2: WhenInRome, if deadline approaches

He's still my top suspect. The old arguments are that he RVSed Deer, kept it as a real vote for reasons unknown, and then changed his mind. My opinion of him hasn't changed very much. He seems to be going after AwesomePoe, one of his top accusers earlier. I didn't get a scum read on AwesomePoe during AwesomePoe's early posts, and the issue that WhenInRome raises doesn't change my read. (I do, however, feel the need to do a reread of AwesomePoe). I'm still waiting on WhenInRome's promised analysis of other players, and wondering if there's a reason why he hasn't posted it yet.

I'm hitting the "Post" button now, the rest of my thoughts will be coming soon...
nikitakit
nikitakit
Townie
nikitakit
Townie
Townie

Post Post #117 (isolation #4) » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:34 pm

Post by nikitakit »

Rereading AwesomePoe, I'm starting to get a scummy vibe as well. I'm not talking about phrases like the "black darkness bottoming out under the universe" or "Being potty trained" -- these are just playstyle and not evidence of anything. As others pointed out, the vote situation is the weirdest part: he claims to have been hesitant to vote WIR initially, and then says he thought Ghostlin was scummy because of removing the L-1 vote. These words are probably either a slip-up if he's scum or an honest statement if he's town. Don't want to get into WIFOM here, but I can imagine both cases.

Iso re StefanB: Early game was a discussion with Ghostlin, which he tells people to ignore. Then there's a long series of posts that have mostly to do with lurkers (either telling lurkers to speak up or explaining why lurking is bad). I was actually starting to get suspicious of you for being so singularly focused on examining just the player(s) that were not posting at a given time. I began to imagine an experienced scum hiding in that role, making easy accusations and staying mostly under the radar. (Actually, in one of the archived games I read the IC did just that). Your last two posts mostly changed my mind on this point, considering you're now out of intense anti-lurker mode, so I'm going to say that for now I don't have very many suspicions about you.

Iso re Haylen: I consider the "Before I die" comment to be a null read. I didn't notice any distortion or dubious arguments in her iso -- though besides that big wall of text and all of the IC advice there's only 4.5 game-relevant posts, not a lot to judge on. I'm leaning town (though I might just be giving the IC the benefit of the doubt because in my first game I was largely responsible for lynching the ICcop).

Right now, only one weird point that hasn't been brought up:
Haylen wrote:I have to move to a different room now cause I'm at Uni, will post my other two analysis when I get home.
Hasn't happened yet.

A few players left that I want to analyze, should be coming up in my next post.
nikitakit
nikitakit
Townie
nikitakit
Townie
Townie

Post Post #135 (isolation #5) » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:06 pm

Post by nikitakit »

Haylen's comment was worded way to strongly, I think. I hardly like the tone of it, but the advice itself is fine. I don't like WhenInRome's response at all. Some of the other people here pointed out timing suspicions, etc, but Haylen's one post and the arguments WIR gave don't justify a Haylen vote. He's my #1 suspect, so if he weren't at L-2 my vote would be on him immediately. As it is, I'm going to withhold my vote for now. I'm much too sleepy right now to post anything longer than this, everything else will have to wait until tomorrow.
nikitakit
nikitakit
Townie
nikitakit
Townie
Townie

Post Post #149 (isolation #6) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by nikitakit »

WhenInRome: I want you to roleclaim or otherwise defend yourself.

If he doesn't offer anything to his defense, I'll be willing to hammer.

Haylen wrote:
Nikita wrote:Haylen's statement stands out a little because it takes a certain personality to say that kind of thing casually. I don't know enough about Haylen's playing style to tell if it's scummy or not.
What kind of personality? You're saying stuff and not following it up -_-
Let me paraphrase my quote: "Haylen's statement stands out because only some people have the personality to say that kind of thing". In other words, the "before I die" comment is only a scumread if there is evidence that it contradicts your meta. I didn't indicate here that I would follow up on anything. (On the contrary, I said that I'll ignore the whole point, at least for the time being).

I still haven't posted some of my reads, I'll be finishing them up right now.
nikitakit
nikitakit
Townie
nikitakit
Townie
Townie

Post Post #198 (isolation #7) » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:07 am

Post by nikitakit »

So busy that I can't even respond to a prod... looks like I'm going to have to be replaced.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”