Delete this

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (isolation #0) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:52 am

Post by PranaDevil »

Actually, as a Let's Play, you're doing well as far as I can tell, there's very very few LP'ers around that are even worth listening to (I hadn't heard the guy Demon linked to, but I might check him out as he sounds funny, rather than the type of guy who deserves shooting in the face with a shotgun). The only one I really pay attention to is ssskinner. Her Let's Play of Claymates is pretty damned hilarious, and her voice doesn't make me want to strangle her.

However, you would probably be better off doing LPs of games that are less likely to be mainstream. Mario and Zelda are great games by all rights and purposes... but they're not the type of game I need or want to watch someone else play, not unless said person is making a deliberate attempt to fuck about with the game and cause as many bugs and crashes as possible.

So I'd say feel free to finish the Mario 64 LP by all means, but expect less people to care about it as a whole than if you were to play either a less well known game, or a game people find tough to beat.
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (isolation #1) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:04 am

Post by PranaDevil »

Nah, it was definitely a way of advertising it on here. but fuck it, so what? If nobody gives a shit it'll fade into obscurity soon enough anyway.
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (isolation #2) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:16 am

Post by PranaDevil »

Yeah, but someone saying "I like XXX thing" (and there's plenty of XXX things I like... *ahem*) isn't saying "Hey I made this come look", you don't actively need to make money to be able to advertise to begin with. Just wanting people to see what you are doing is enough.
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (isolation #3) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:51 am

Post by PranaDevil »

Maybe, but he's still asking for people to come and view what he's done, ergo he's advertising it. The only reason to post LP's is to get people to go and watch them. It's not getting critiqued so that he can go on to maybe later do something more with it. It's purely to get geeks like us lot over there to go and watch the video, and maybe gain some feedback too. But like I say, there's nothing wrong with that either, nor should there be. Though I would suggest, maybe, bunging it in the sig instead of creating a huge topic. You can always ask people to PM thoughts and feedback that way.
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (isolation #4) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:48 am

Post by PranaDevil »

I'd avoid going for hacks, unless there is something really, really special about it. 99.99% of hacks are utter gash. I'd just say stick with decent games that are lesser known (or games that might not be decent by themselves, but would be entertaining to watch someone else playing).
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #30 (isolation #5) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:59 am

Post by PranaDevil »

Hoopla wrote:
PranaDevil wrote:I'd avoid going for hacks, unless there is something really, really special about it. 99.99% of hacks are utter gash. I'd just say stick with decent games that are lesser known (or games that might not be decent by themselves, but would be entertaining to watch someone else playing).
There's a handful of really good SMB3 hacks, some with altered mechanics or gameplay - but the ones I enjoyed most were purely level edits, pitting the player against the same loved game, but with fresh new areas to stimulate the senses. Most hacks have a slight difficulty increase too, which caters for skilled fans, given the original is generally quite easy. There's an even bigger pool of good Super Mario World hacks, if you're more interested in that engine (I'm not).

I think if you find a good hack to play, it can be quite interesting for the viewer, because they too love the original game you're playing but are probably sick of seeing it played through, especially if you're not super charismatic or insightful. Hacks enable the viewer to get a flavour of the original game they love, whilst also getting to see something new.
The problem I have with hacks is the majority of them are by people who have no clue what the hell they're doing. So you either get hacks where the majority of the levels are exactly the same, while the overworld layout is different. Or you'll get hacks where level design hasn't just taken a backseat, but the back of the car fell off as well and it was left behind. (I'm not even talking about the ridiculous ones where it's deliberately done in such a way that you have to use cheats and glitches to complete the level).
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (isolation #6) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:11 pm

Post by PranaDevil »

TheButtonmen wrote:3. Work on your pacing, plan it out to avoid long stretches of dead air.
This depends on the game. Most games wont work with dead air, but ssskinner's LP of Limbo had a lot of dead air because it worked better for that game than if she were just talking all the way through it.

In the flip side, if she had done the same with the Claymates game it would have been dull (as it would have been had she been serious throughout and not been joking about through most of it).

Return to “General Discussion”