Mafia 125: Khan's Game of Mafia (Game Over)

Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #17 (isolation #0) » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:50 pm

Post by Seraphim »

Vote: Curiouskarmadog

This is a good wagon.

Let's get some hardcore revelry going up in this bitch.

Also until nocase posts something legitimate regarding a post restriction I'm just going to ignore it wheee.
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #69 (isolation #1) » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:07 am

Post by Seraphim »

But he didn't ignore it. He said he was just going to ignore it, but it looked like he wanted you to post more on it. He didn't look at the abilities like other people.
I did look at the abilities silly. I also looked that other people looked at the abilities and found similar results, absolutely nothing. So, ultimately, I was waiting for him to say he didn't have a post restriction which was my suspicion all along. And I think you came to the same conclusion.

Unvote
Vote: Chevre

I don't think Gorrad has realized that the game has started and I don't think that makes him scum.
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #160 (isolation #2) » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:08 pm

Post by Seraphim »

Actually, Seraphims poo fling at Chevre is probably the reason for me thinking she's town.
lol

there has been no pooflinging. Ironically, Chevre seems to be the only person to notice the broad disconnect between my vote and the statement proceeding it. I never gave any reasons for my vote on Chevre folks. The entire point was directed at inHim.

I voted Chevre for gut. Something about her posting concerning nocase's 'post restriction' sat afoul with me.
nocase has claimed that he has a post-restriction. Of course, in a Normal game, I'm immediately suspicious, but I want him to explain his restriction as much as he can. More information and views are better, and the most vital view here is that of the person who claimed such an unbelievable thing.
This post set off scumbells.

Her 128 is terrible as numerous others have pointed out. Also, her continued crusade against DGB looks incredibly artificial especially with her vote STILL on Xalxe.
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #175 (isolation #3) » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:09 pm

Post by Seraphim »

Well I didn't expect that at all. Um. Maybe I'll actually read it tomorrow but the sheer wall of text is just mindboggling.
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #177 (isolation #4) » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:14 pm

Post by Seraphim »

....how did I misspell that....

poofling lol

Anyway. Do you honestly want to tell me that that was what you were referring to? I think you were referring to my "reasons" for voting Chevre which weren't there and now you are trying to justify your vote by backtracking and saying the vote was your reason for voting me all along which you and I both know is complete and utter bullshit.

Think carefully before you answer.

FoS: Antihero
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #256 (isolation #5) » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:48 pm

Post by Seraphim »

I'm going to actually read and break down Chevre's post. I have categorized the post into the following:
This color
indicates fluff(noise). This has really little or nothing to do with the at hand.
This color
indicates information that is merely a summary of events.
This color
indicates opinions and reads.

You don't need to actually, persay, read the post. It is merely Chevre's wall color-coded using these three codes. Feel free to skip ahead.
Spoiler: Chevre's post
For Gorrad:

Dear person who I do not know,

A person who I know as Gorrad has just walked up to you on the street, and handed you a piece (or possibly multiple pieces) of paper, and asks you if you can understand them. Well, Gorrad is not the author of these papers, I am, and I am determined to prove my Town stature by making you understand.

See, me and Gorrad are playing in a game of Mafia. If you are not familiar with the game, I shall present a brief explanation. Mafia was first played in real time. Players sat in a circle, and were dealt cards to determine their role. The basic setup includes an uninformed majority, usually known as "the Town," and an informed minority, usually known as "the Mafia." The game alternates between phases known as Night and Day, during the Night, everyone closes their eyes. However, at some point, the Mafia are allowed to open them and silently discuss who they wish to "kill," or eliminate from the game. Once they have decided, the game moves on eventually to Day, where everyone opens their eyes and the killed player is announced. Now, the players all discuss and attempt to gather enough information to "lynch" a player they believe is Mafia, or eliminate them from the game. This continues until all the Mafia have been eliminated, or enough of the Town has been eliminated so that they may no longer form a majority.

Me and Gorrad are playing a version of this game online, with nineteen other players. We have somehow gotten to a point in the game where Gorrad has inquired that I form opinions on him and three other players in the game, specifically known as "curiouskarmadog," "Cyberbob," and "SpyreX." I will now broadcast my opinions to you, in the hope that you, a stranger on the street who Gorrad has only just met, can understand them.

The player known as "curiouskarmadog" has made 5 posts so far. The first post was what we call a "random vote" to start the game, to give us a point from where we can begin to form true suspicions. His vote was on a player known as "Antihero," who had earlier stated that it seemed impossible for players to have post restrictions (not being able to do certain things with their posts, like "don't use e's") from "the material [the moderator] gave us." curiouskarmadog wanted Antihero to "come clean," as in, fill us in on how he attained such information from the moderator. However, such information was conspicuously available in the first post; therefore, it was fairly obvious to see that curiouskarmadog had intended for a joke. The random voting stage is usually filled with such hilarity. Anyway, the player known as "Cyberbob" appeared not to understand the joke, and this became the subject matter of curiouskarmadog's second post. He asked Cyberbob if he thought that curiouskarmadog (weird sentence structure here I know, but they are both males and I wish to avoid pronoun ambiguity) was being serious. Cyberbob later posted that he was already in "a serious mindset" due to an earlier post by SpyreX, another player I will be covering.

In curiouskarmadog's third post, he analyzes the post of another player, "Dutch one". This player is somewhat new to the site we play Mafia on, so he is still picking up on some common practices we utilize. The practice in question was the Random Voting Stage. Dutch one said he did it, but not as quickly as we had. This was, of course, strange to us because the Random Voting Stage is the first event most players partake in during the duration of a game. curiouskarmadog first asked about this, and then asked about Dutch one's reasonless vote on Gorrad. When a player receives a vote, it moves them one step closer to the lynch. We prefer that players give reasons to accompany their votes, so the question posed here by curiouskarmadog is common enough. curiouskarmadog's fourth post refers to an earlier incident he had with another player, "DrippingGoofBall." This player apparently makes lists in all her games, declaring what she feels to be the "Town players," the "Questionable players," and the "Scum players." (Note: Scum is a somewhat slang term we use for the Mafia.) Anyway, curiouskarmadog asked that he be kept off her "Town list" as apparently last time, "things didn't work to well." I was not in the previous game, so I have no idea what happened, but I assume that curiouskarmadog lost that game. It was most likely not a direct result of being on DrippingGoofBall's "Town List," but it is coincidental anecdote which curiouskarmadog is simply presenting. In fact, in curiouskarmadog's fifth post, he thanks DrippingGoofBall for placing him on her "Scum List." In this post, he also notes someone's snarky retort to DrippingGoofBall, votes Dutch one for ignoring him, and asks me why I didn't provide reasoning for my own vote.
I feel that I gave enough reasoning; I kept my vote on a player named "Xalxe" because I when I random voted her, she seemed unnecessarily worried. As for his accusation that Dutch one was ignoring him, it's reasonable because Dutch one did post between curiouskarmadog's third and fifth posts.

So how do I feel about curiouskarmadog, given the above posts? While only five posts is barely enough to judge, I think curiouskarmadog looks Town so far. He has managed to inquire of others without following anyone's already stated points. Though relatively early, I feel as though curiouskarmadog may be a little severe with Dutch one. Everyone has their own way of dealing with new players, though, so we shall see what happens as the game progresses.

I will be stating my opinions on the four players in alphabetical order, so the next player we shall move on to is Cyberbob. Cyberbob's first post deals with an event that happened in the very beginning of the game. The player known as "nocase" stated that he had a post restriction, but this seemed impossible with the information the players were given (this was touched on in the discussion of curiouskarmadog). Cyberbob asked if nocase could elaborate on what his post restriction was. Although at first this may seem incorrect, as I have already stated that it should not be possible for players to have post restrictions given the information, Cyberbob, as well as myself, gave nocase a chance to explain himself. Cyberbob's second post was explained in curiouskarmadog's discussion; Cyberbob was the one who did not fully understand curiouskarmadog's joke. His third post is also related to this matter, clarifying that he had already put himself in a serious mindset. The fourth post came after another player, "inHimshallibe," indicated that he had a post restriction as well. He asked inHimshallibe to elaborate on his post restriction.
This whole "post restriction" matter has been deemed untrue and, in my opinion, pointless.

In his fifth post, Cyberbob indicates he has what I believe to be a slight scum read on the player who handed you these sheets, Gorrad. He determined this via the use of a post where Gorrad asked the aforementioned DrippingGoofBall to claim her role. It is at this point that I should explain that while the basic factions of Mafia are Town and Mafia, there are certain other roles that may be utilized during the night. When a player feels it is right to do so, or is in danger of being lynched, they claim, or reveal their role to the public so that other players may know of it. Of course, it is entirely possible for the Mafia to present fake claims, to prevent them from being lynched. Anyway, Gorrad seems to believe that when DrippingGoofBall makes a claim, it turns the game on it's head, and makes it more interesting.
While I have no memories of playing a game with DrippingGoofBall where such an event happened, her style so far has indicated that many things she does may turn the game on it's head.
Anyway, Cyberbob indicated that it was a gut feeling.
Since I myself cannot truly find any scummy points of this post, it appears that Cyberbob and Cyberbob alone truly found something strange in either the structure or the tone of the post in question.
Gorrad is also dealt with in Cyberbob's sixth post, which quotes a post where Gorrad voted for himself. Self-voting is usually frowned upon at this site, so it is easy to see why Cyberbob noted this event. Cyberbob didn't know whether Gorrad was joking or not.

In his seventh post, Cyberbob notes many things. He begins with nocase and inHimshallibe both claiming to have post restrictions, as he was still leery of the event. He assumes it was a joke. Next, Cyberbob notes how Dutch one's post structure doesn't sit well with him, and it's going to be hard to figure out his alignment (as in, is he Mafia or Town?). Then, Cyberbob lists many players and their impact so far. He remembers DrippingGoofBall's eccentric posting style from another game, and notes that inHimshallibe is doing a mini-version of the same thing. He also says Gorrad is "annoying" but doesn't know whether it garners four votes (for at that time, four other players were voting for Gorrad) and declares him as a possibly Mafia member. On the flipside, he declares Antihero "town" for no given reason, so we are to assume that he meant the general feel of his posts was in a Town manner. He then notes three other scummy posts, and votes one of the scummy post-makers.
The one thing I find glaringly missing from this post is my name. This may sound quite narcissistic but I have been a very visible player in this game so far so it would make sense to at least mention what he thought of me and my posts.

The eighth post of Cyberbob refers to a post made by Dutch one. Being new, Dutch one did not recognize the regular playing style of DrippingGoofBall, so he attacked it.
However, to Cyberbob, me, and many other players, it appeared that Dutch one had brought some good points to the table. DrippingGoofBall's habit of making lists and then including herself as Town seemed to put herself on a pedestal above the others, therefore making her semi-invulnerable as nobody wanted to attack her.
In his ninth and tenth posts, Cyberbob replies to an unbelieving DrippingGoofBall by saying that while he doesn't think she's scummy for it, what Dutch one said about her was very true and that it wasn't healthy one player to be so afraid of attacking another.

So what do I think of Cyberbob so far? Even though Cyberbob has twice as many posts as curiouskarmadog, he is still a bit neutral. Yes, he is making points upon other players, but I don't feel the same intensity that I feel in curiouskarmadog's posts. Maybe he isn't as determined and dedicated of a player as curiouskarmadog, but I do not feel that is an accurate judgment to make.

Now, it is time we turn our attention to the player who first gave me this assignment: Gorrad. His first post included a random vote for Dutch one. Dutch one hadn't confirmed his status yet, so Gorrad's reasoning was that the moderator would not have to find a replacement player for Dutch one. Also, Gorrad asks DrippingGoofBall to claim, which was already discussed in the section on Cyberbob. In his second post, he gives a link to previous game which had DrippingGoofBall in it, to provide an example for her antics. He also performs the aforementioned self-vote in this post. This is also partially the topic of his third post, where he replies to Cyberbob's inquiry about whether this was a joke or not. Gorrad declares that it was in fact, because "one who has read their Role PM cannot have a gut read on theirself.
It was a very odd way to put it,
and even after this, Gorrad had not unvoted. In his fourth and fifth posts, Gorrad greets and chats with an old acquaintance, "Korlash."
This isn't out of the ordinary, but it doesn't really add anything to the game either, except for that this slightly decreases the chances of Gorrad and Korlash being in the Mafia together. It does not, however, make either one of them more or less scummy.

In his sixth post, Gorrad answers Dutch one's question about the Random Voting Stage with a satirical viewpoint.
I, in fact, found it somewhat funny, and didn't see any issues with it.
However, it appears someone did find it contentious, as in his next post, Gorrad indicates that he is going to inform players who do not know what the RVS is of it's definition. He then attacks Cyberbob
i
n what seems to me a very weak manner.
He says that Cyberbob has been following the crowd and contributing nothing, then saying he's not a hypocrite because he isn't faking contributing nothing. Finally, Gorrad still continues with the "Gorrad is scum" joke,
which by now is just stale.
In the seventh post, Gorrad declares his suspicion of me, and asks me to do the assignment which you are currently reading.
T
he four people which he picked did seem somewhat out-of-the-ordinary,
but in his next post he clarifies why he chose those people.
S
o far, I have found this to be thought-provoking, so I don't really have any quarrels with it.

I haven't really seen much serious content from Gorrad so far. I hope that his seventh post is what he keeps up for the rest of the game, as the "Gorrad is scum" act is useless, trite, and suspiciously odd.

SpyreX, the last of the four I'm supposed to opinionate upon,
was the most out-of-the-blue choice. I remembered very little of his gameplay before embarking on this assignment.
SpyreX's first post is after nocase claims he has a post restriction. SpyreX votes nocase because there are no abilities available that would seem to encompass a post restriction.
While slightly hasty, I must admit it was the same thing I was thinking as well.
His second post also deals with this, as he says we should lynch nocase if we do not see another claim of a post restriction, strangely enough, we did, and SpyreX's frustration at inHimshallibe is shown in the next post. SpyreX continues to be confused by the post restriction thing in his fourth and fifth posts. He finally let's it go in his sixth post, where he votes Gorrad for having "six posts of fluff."
While I understand the motivation behind some of Gorrad's posts (helping Dutch one wasn't a bad thing to do), the whole self-voting thing was kind of ridiculous and had very little effect on the game.
In his next post, SpyreX desires to confirm that nocase and inHimshallibe were lying about their post restrictions. He then explains why he was voting Gorrad; it appears SpyreX was the one who attacked Gorrad's post in which he helps Dutch one. SpyreX declares this as Gorrad trying to go back to the RVS even though the game started in a serious manner.
I don't believe Gorrad was trying to do that; instead, he was simplying telling Dutch one what the RVS was.
I
n his penultimate post, SpyreX responds to a question from DrippingGoofBall asking his opinion of Dutch one; SpyreX feels that Dutch one is a newbie who is trying hard and likely isn't scum. SpyreX's final post so far indicates his disapproval of nocase's lie about the post restriction.

I hope that SpyreX finally realizes that the post restriction lies were just that, lies, and he can finally delve into more serious matters. I find his attack on Gorrad's RVS description a bit irrational, but I do believe most of what Gorrad had said so far was fluff.

Well, that's all. I hope you understood; I can only hope you are more capable than me because if someone handed this to me on the street, I'm pretty sure I would be a bit flustered.

Yours Truly, Chevre

Total word count: 2704 words
Total Fluff(noise):
363 words - 13.42%
Total Information:
1730 words - 63.98%
Total Opinions:
611 words - 22.60%

Approximately one-fourth of that massive text wall was actual opinions rather than a fanciful way of restating the game or just plain fluff.

Further analysis is pending but a lot of the post seems artificial and carefully constructed so I don't think it's exactly a monument to her town play. It almost feels more like a distraction rather than an honest attempt to outline reads.
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #303 (isolation #6) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:07 am

Post by Seraphim »

What's your cutoff for how much "opinion" needs to be in everyone's posts?
I would like to think that the majority of a person's post should be either what they think of what's going on in the game or questions about what's going on in the game, not unrelated babble or rehashing of events and information that are already common knowledge. Yes, it's fine to review but less than 25% of her post that actually contains reads(very generous, BTW) or any sort of opinion that wasn't neutral summary.
Also, I have a feeling that the extra stuff was put in there to point out how ridiculous Gorrad's initial request was.
Excessive satire has no real place in a mafia game especially when other people have to read your posts too. Plus, Gorrad's request wasn't that ridiculous.
seraphim, why did you feel it was necessary to put so much effort into preaching to the choir?
It wasn't honestly that much effort to actually read the post and analyze which I should be doing anyway. The only difficult part was doing the word counts which didn't take very long either.
Soo many unnecessary words but why in the hell would a scum powerbomb that to escape notice? That BEGS notice.
It begs notice and defies easy reading. It's a distraction to try and get people to see her as town or force them to ignore her. It creates a catch 22. You can't get an accurate read on a player without reading all of their posts. However, her post is one that is not easy to read or get a read off of.
Why didn't you read it? Are you not interested in having the town win, which is most effectively done by the comprehension of all information possible?
This is the sort of thing I'm talking about.

That wall was NOT pro-town.

Here's what it boils down to.

Chevre's post is a lot of noise and her reads don't look paticularly well constructed either. The actual reads themselves are few and far between and not easy to pick out on a casual read. It's not pro-town, there's no reason to think that it does.
I'm afraid I find the discussion of the ratio of fluff to information to opinion in my large post rather pointless. You cannot expect a person to post pure opinion; and that request was made even more difficult when you consider I was supposedly explaining it to a person on the street. Sure, it may be the case that only twenty percent of that post was what you consider opinion, but it was still six-hundred-eleven words. That's likely more words than many players have posted with their own original thoughts.
What, is it pointless because there's no point or because it makes you uncomfortable? Didn't think anyone was going to actually analyze it did you?

Quality > quanity

You rehash a lot of the same material or make half-assed comments like "I found it odd" or "I found it annoying". 20% is GENEROUS...I haven't calculated how much of it actually dealt with player alignment but it's not the majority.

I have no idea if they are scum or not but right now my highest scumreads are Chevre, SpyreX, and Antihero. Chevre, well, I think I've covered that. SpryeX has almost been a non-presence and generally he tends to be a big personality. He seems incredibly indecisive in this game. Antihero is spouting bullshit. Cyberbob has outlined why. I could see all three of them as scum together but I don't know if they'd all be so blatant about it.

CKD, Gorrad, and Jerbs are my strongest town reads ATM.
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #306 (isolation #7) » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:07 am

Post by Seraphim »

Hey, DGB, what do you think of SpryeX?
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #438 (isolation #8) » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:42 pm

Post by Seraphim »

Yeah yeah I'll get some content up tomorrow.

I've been busy lately etc etc etc
Seraphim
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Seraphim
she/her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #564 (isolation #9) » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:02 pm

Post by Seraphim »

Haha too late, shameless prod dodge.

I was at a college visit these last few days, I expect to catch up later tomorrow.

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”