Newbie 1081: Showdown in Newbtown (Game Over, Mafia win)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
sarahfish89
sarahfish89
Townie
sarahfish89
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (isolation #0) » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:59 am

Post by sarahfish89 »

1. What's your Mafia experience? Played for about a year on Dragon cave with some experienced players but I also teach people new to the game and am considered an experienced player (so I'm not what you call a complete newbie)
2. What's your favorite band? Don't really have one....
3. What role/alignment do you prefer? Well, I've never been lovers (I hope you've heard of them) or Vigilant I'd love to be them, but out of the roles I've played I would say detective.
4. Do you find it harder finding scum, or convincing other people that you've found scum (the latter assuming you correctly identified someone as scum)? Well, I have some interesting ways of convincing people (which sometimes gets me lynched) but I find finding Mafia/scum harder.

You can call me Sarah as sarahfish89 is quite long to write.

Vote: Zdenek
For having a Z as the starting letter of their name.
sarahfish89
sarahfish89
Townie
sarahfish89
Townie
Townie

Post Post #50 (isolation #1) » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:05 am

Post by sarahfish89 »

Right, well sorry for inactiveness, I think a short analysis on people would show my thoughts best. I already have some thoughts.

alnkpa - Has posted a bit, last post was good on Fatso and BS but not much here though.
alnkpa wrote:
Banana Stickers wrote:I certainly agree that sitting back and coasting through the RVS / RQS is bad news, since less input means less information we have to go on,
Why didn't you vote then? Until the end of RVS you didn't say one word. As startransmission phrased it 'flying under the radar'.

lynchking did almost the same but then hopped on the wagon for Fatso without any further explanation at first. Could you please explain that because I personally think RVS was over at that time.
I think this was because of her birthday still good point.
Null tell at the moment.

Banana Stickers - Two posts to go on here, most is about herself but the bit about RVS was nice but slightly contradicting since BS hasn't voted or posted until towards/the end of RVS, which could have been due to her birthday like I said above.
Banana Stickers wrote:I see RVS is pretty much over with the storm that's following Fatso's comment. I knew he was going to get jumped allll over for that. I certainly agree that sitting back and coasting through the RVS / RQS is bad news, since less input means less information we have to go on, but I can understand why he might not like RVS. I've been trying to get my husband to try the game, and he just does NOT understand how RVS can work or how it moves into scum discussion. I know he's not the only one that feels that way, and quite frankly everyone that hates random voting gets immediately pointed at. Scumtell - meh. It's just too common in a newbie game.
Null as well.

Bulvious - Posted more than most other people, with good information, I get where they're coming from with most of their logic with Fatso.
Bulvious wrote:[]bVote: h3ll0[/b]

I just got out of a game with you and I know it isn't your playstyle to lurk. In fact, you provided a significant portion of the early game content - where are you?
Vote was nice but play styles can vary from game due to RL. Also will put pressure on not to lurk which is anti-town.
Leaning town.

Fatso - Quite a few posts, saying they didn't like RVS hasn't really helped them but I don't think it's really a scum-tell as I've watched a few games on here and lots of newbies don't like or get it and RVS but they have turned out townie.
Fatso wrote:
Vote: sarahfish89

Content please. You too h3llo.
Nice pressure vote on me, talking is a good way to find scum.
Leaning town.

I will do the rest tomorrow as it is late here.
sarahfish89
sarahfish89
Townie
sarahfish89
Townie
Townie

Post Post #66 (isolation #2) » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:25 am

Post by sarahfish89 »

Bulvious wrote:Playstyles do vary, especially when someone is trying to establish a meta. That's why my vote was mostly backed by a question more so than reasoning.

Oh well, I've yet to find a super-actively-scumhunting-scum. Granted, my experience is quite limited.
And as far as the OMGUS goes - it was OMGUSsy. Just because you have a question doesn't mean it needs pressure to be answered faster. You shouldn't vote for someone for the sole purpose of asking a question. They should have done something scummy to make you vote for them. Lurking is scummy - that's why my vote is on h3ll0, What Lynch was doing was called sheeping, which isn't necessarily scummy at least not in my opinion.

The most towny thing about Fatso thus far is his willingness to talk, and his activity which goes beyond most of us, I've yet to check the site and see that he hasn't posted. Something worth noting in my book.

Sarah, obviously it's early in the day and making a choice based on three pages of info is difficult, but - if you had to place a hammering vote right now - where would it be? On a lurker? No lynch?
Everyone else is free to answer this, also.
Personally, I'd peel off a lurker over anyone else posting in this topic at the moment.
Yup, that's why I didn't post much, I'd rather vote a lurker than a person who wanted a no lynch since Mafia want to kill people off right, and Mafia don't tend to try and post or scum hunt. So yeah, I think we're all agreed so far.

h3ll0 - Not posted much, a few small posts responding to others, more posts/thoughts would be nice.
Null tell at the moment.

lynchking - Posted twice and I would like them to post more, not much info to work with here.
Null tell at the moment.

startransmission - Doing a good job of an IC, answering questions, good ideas. Not talking as much as some IC but I don't think it's a bad thing since some have been complained at for posting too much.
Leaning townie.

Zdenek - Slightly random RVS vote, would have been better if we had more reason but I'm not going to nag too much about RVS. A good posts when responding to other people.
Would say null.

If you're wondering why I think nobody is scummy, it's because we're 3 pages in and I want to see how the game goes before I start thinking people are scum.

Vote: lynchking
, more posts/thoughts please.
sarahfish89
sarahfish89
Townie
sarahfish89
Townie
Townie

Post Post #73 (isolation #3) » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:38 am

Post by sarahfish89 »

Fatso wrote:
sarahfish89 wrote:Zdenek - Slightly random RVS vote
How can you
not
have a random RVS vote?
Lol, bad wording. What I meant to say was: They didn't even post a reason for voting whereas most people did.
Fatso wrote:I'd kind of agree with that. She also defended me to some extent, which while not
necessarily
a scumtell does make me suspicious... In my last game the only people who ever directly defended anyone else (not each other, just townies) were the scum.
While I was defending you, it was because I thought not liking RVS isn't a good enough reason to vote somebody and it's mainly townies that have done this, I was just basing this off my previous experience.
h3ll0 wrote:
sarahfish89 wrote:
Vote: lynchking
, more posts/thoughts please.
I'm not liking this. You look like you are imitating Bulvious/Fatso simply to look town.

Unvote, Vote sarahfish89
I was? Oh I see what you mean, I guess I was doing this without realising but you did need to post more.
Question: Apart from me, who do you think is the most scummiest at the moment? Same with townie. (other people can answer too)
sarahfish89
sarahfish89
Townie
sarahfish89
Townie
Townie

Post Post #91 (isolation #4) » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:43 am

Post by sarahfish89 »

Zdenek wrote:Sarahfish's posts detailing how she feels on each player was fairly pointless and I could see scum feeling the need to make a post like that in order to try to appear helpful. I'm also concerned that she has no scum reads because it's often hard for scum to fake scum reads.
I see what you mean about the pointless bit, but I didn't really know how to start posting or anything. It was kinda pointless on page 3 though and I do have minor scum reads on BS and lynchking for inactiveness, but not enough to make a full case.
Zdenek wrote:
Sarah wrote:Lol, bad wording. What I meant to say was: They didn't even post a reason for voting whereas most people did
If you are talking about my vote on BS, I do have a reason. It was in one of my earlier posts.
No, your first vote I meant, should have had a quote with that.
Zdenek wrote:
Fatso wrote: Imitating? Maybe. Is that scummy? Not really. People imitate what they see others doing all the time, it's questionable as to whether or not she was even imitating.
I disagree. Imitating is scummy. Scum have to try to pretend to act like town, and what better way than to mimic townies. Needless to say, Sarah is not looking good in my eyes at the moment.
I can see that, yes imitating is scummy because it's an easy way to make your self look townie. (I have read up about the game) I didn't know I was imitating them though
h3ll0 wrote:
sarahfish89 wrote:I was? Oh I see what you mean, I guess I was doing this without realising but you did need to post more.
Question: Apart from me, who do you think is the most scummiest at the moment? Same with townie. (other people can answer too)
LOL, the pot calling the kettle black. I call bs on this. While it is true that I needed to post more content, I don't see how is it even relevant in this discussion, especially since I called you out on voting lynchking. I don't buy the fact that you can vote without realising what you just voted for. You are just trying to change the topic, aren't you?
The questions was just to see who you thought was scummy and that's what we're meant to be doing, talking and asking questions to find scum. I didn't realise that I had imitated Fatso and Bulvious. I wasn't trying to change the subject away from me, no.
sarahfish89
sarahfish89
Townie
sarahfish89
Townie
Townie

Post Post #127 (isolation #5) » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:51 am

Post by sarahfish89 »

Bulvious wrote:
sarahfish89 wrote:

I don't like this question, at all. To me, this is a question scum would ask in order to find out who the night kill needs to be and who to turn people against. That's... Bad.
I was just asking a question about who people thought were scummy, I don't really see the harm but I guess it be thought as a Mafia member trying to get information to cause confusion.
Bulvious wrote:
sarahfish89 wrote:

I see what you mean about the pointless bit, but I didn't really know how to start posting or anything. It was kinda pointless on page 3 though and I do have minor scum reads on BS and lynchking for inactiveness, but not enough to make a full case.
Also horrible. I understand that she's new, but I posted previously in the topic referencing 'scumhunting'. She's not doing it. She's not engaging people, not asking questions (ones that help town anyway). Scum tend to not really have much to do if they aren't busy trying to throw people off via acting like town. High chance of noobscum in this case. Vote pending.[/quote]

See the bottom of my post for response.

startransmission wrote:Right now I'm most interested in Sarafish. I'll refer to her as SF from now on. She's not necessarily my only suspect right now, but she's definitely worth discussing. Almost everything she says raises an eyebrow.
Zdenek wrote:Sarahfish's posts detailing how she feels on each player was fairly pointless and I could see scum feeling the need to make a post like that in order to try to appear helpful. I'm also concerned that she has no scum reads because it's often hard for scum to fake scum reads.
I agree, it was my first reaction upon reading her post. It was pure fluff, and I noted that she handed out townie cards more than anything. That always concerns me.

I see in her profile that she's a 12 year old girl. Or at least claims to be. Part of me worries that that is an attempt to justify a VI meta, a wolf in sheep's clothing kinda thing. And there have been spots of her posting that encourage my suspicion of that,
sarahfish89 wrote:I was? Oh I see what you mean, I guess I was doing this without realising but you did need to post more
The above being an example. I know it's weak, but something here really gets my gut.
I am 12, but that's not important really. What does me been 12 have anything to do with me being Mafia, although that's probably got something why I'm not good at Mafia.
Bulvious wrote:
sarahfish89 wrote:

I don't like this question, at all. To me, this is a question scum would ask in order to find out who the night kill needs to be and who to turn people against. That's... Bad.
And that's why I usually won't answer those questions, at least not on the first day, and usually not on the second either. But right now I'm torn between seeing SF as newbtown or newbscum. Either way I think the kind of fishing that you're perceiving might be giving her a little too much credit. It's certainly not something to disregard however. If she's scum I would more be likely to consider the questions intent to be more a of topic changer from her (as h3llo brought up) vote than what you're worried about.

Her defense of Fatso is interesting as well. She may well be ingratiating herself to Fatso, or they are partners. Considering that she handed out either townie or null cards to everybody, it's hard to say. Fatso's reaction was natural, I always feel the same way when my play/opinion is congratulated or defended in a game. She says she's read enough games on this site to know that many newbies feel about RVS the way Fatso does, and they end up being townie. I don't think I buy that, or at least it rings very untrue.
[/quote]
Budding up is scummy and I know that so why would I do it so much is it's scummy, I wouldn't do that if I was their partner and was scum. Also this is only out of the games I've read and you've played and read more than me so I could be different for you.
Bulvious wrote: I think what my main concern is regarding SF is that I get a phony vibe from her. None of her actions are so specifically scummy that they couldn't be made by a newbtown player. But she says she's not a newb player, but somebody who's played elsewhere for a year and that's read more than one game here. She would have been... 10? 11? when she started playing mafia. Not impossible, but not likely either. Combined with the way that she explains her actions, including her vote on lynchking, that my gut feels is as or more likely to be relaxed dishonesty as it is words from a newbtown player.
Yes, I played since I was 11, I would find you a game as proof but we've had a forum wipe. Also may I add, that the games I play are more relaxed and quite different from here. So I'm finding it hard to find scum.
sarahfish89
sarahfish89
Townie
sarahfish89
Townie
Townie

Post Post #138 (isolation #6) » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:18 am

Post by sarahfish89 »

h3ll0 wrote:
Budding up is scummy and I know that so why would I do it so much is it's scummy, I wouldn't do that if I was their partner and was scum. Also this is only out of the games I've read and you've played and read more than me so I could be different for you.
Budding is a form of asexual reproduction performed by certain plant species, in which a new organism grows on another one.
*shoots myself for being lame and out of topic*
Okay, if you know that buddying is scummy, why would you do it as a townie? Your defence is pretty much WIFOM.
I'm saying why I wouldn't do it, I wasn't even buddying though, I was defending fatso because I thought that voting because they didn't like RVS wasn't a reason just to vote somebody.
startransmission wrote:SF, please use the "preview" button before you post. A readable and decently formatted post makes people happy. Doesn't have to be perfect, just something that's easy to make sense of.
Sorry, I thought I had checked it.
startransmission wrote:@SF- Could you please post links to the games you read on this forum before this game started?
I hope ongoing games are fine, if not, sorry.
http://mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16842
http://mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16915
http://mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16898
http://mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16571

In know it's only a few but still, just costing through some other games my point still stands.

The games I play, we don't really scum hunt, day one is bandwangoning and random reasoning and most other days are follow the leader (which, when I'm playing, I always tell them not to). So, this may sound really crappy but I don't really know how to scum hunt. (Link to my game that I'm hosting, these kind of games are play a lot.).

P.S startransmission, can I pm you after, I've died or the game has finished, on how to look for tells?
sarahfish89
sarahfish89
Townie
sarahfish89
Townie
Townie

Post Post #148 (isolation #7) » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:01 am

Post by sarahfish89 »

bv310 wrote:
Sarahfish89, since you're new here you're only going to get a warning, but posting links to ongoing games is usually strictly forbidden. I've edited the links out now, but just keep it in mind for the future.
Sorry, I should have checked the thread rules before I posted them. Tried finding the site rules but couldn't find them. Thank you for not modkilling me though.
startransmission wrote:
sarahfish89 wrote:The games I play, we don't really scum hunt, day one is bandwangoning and random reasoning and most other days are follow the leader (which, when I'm playing, I always tell them not to). So, this may sound really crappy but I don't really know how to scum hunt. (Link to my game that I'm hosting, these kind of games are play a lot.).
Ok, this is what newbie games here are for. I've played a brand of mafia like you've linked before, and understand how the differences here can be disconcerting. Scumhunting ability comes with time, just pay attention to what people say, and if you have questions, ask them. If you have suspicions, voice them. The discussions that will sprout from that will be invaluable to improving your scumdar. Scumhunting isn't an exact science.
Okay, thanks, for some reason I thought I was going to be hated for not being able to scum hunt.
startransmission wrote:
sarahfish89 wrote:P.S startransmission, can I pm you after, I've died or the game has finished, on how to look for tells?
Of course. Naturally I'll be bringing up what I see as tells as the game goes on. As will other players.
Thanks. Okay, I'll go read some other games, PM you and then sign up for a new game as see how it goes.
Zdenek wrote:Sarah, why is there an 89 in your user name?

What are people's opinions of lynching the scummiest lurker?

Personally, I think it could be a good move. We will hopefully hit scum, but no matter what we eliminate someone who the scum won't kill and who we won't be able to get a read on during the game; in both newbie games I've been in so far, town has lost by mislynching a lurker in LYLO.
Because it's my birth date backward, it's kinda random, but I could have been Toffee.

I wouldn't mind lynching ether BS or lynchking since lurking is scummy or at least anti-town.

BS: They said they were on V/LA till Saturday or Sunday, it's now Thursday which means they could be 1. Scum trying to stay low, 2. Have forget about the game or 3. Don't have computer or internet access. I'm not sure which but their V/LA is way over.

Lynchking: Don't have V/LA so have no reason not to post, posted 2 days with:
lynchking wrote:Hey guys, sorry for the delay. I've had way too much on my plate the past few days.

There's been a whole lot of discussion, which I'll need to read through and try to contribute to, later today.
I understand they may be busy but that's not much of a reason not to post, even a small post on what's been happening. Could be 1. Scum trying to stay low or 2. Town not knowing what to post. I cant think of much at the moment for lynchking but if I think of anything, I'll add it when I next post.

Out of the two, I would say if Lynchking doesn't post more soon I would lynch them but I wouldn't mind a BS lynch
sarahfish89
sarahfish89
Townie
sarahfish89
Townie
Townie

Post Post #164 (isolation #8) » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:34 am

Post by sarahfish89 »

h3ll0 wrote:I'm still not sold on a lurker lynch at this point of time, seeing that we still got 11 more days to the deadline (which could be extended). Sitting around and agreeing to the policy lynch does not help progress the game either.
sarahfish89 wrote:Okay, thanks, for some reason I thought I was going to be hated for not being able to scum hunt.
Being bad at scumhunting does not excuse you from doing it though.
No it doesn't.
Zdenek wrote:
Sarah wrote: Out of the two, I would say if Lynchking doesn't post more soon I would lynch them but I wouldn't mind a BS lynch
Why? Even thought they've each posted little, I would say that BS is scummier.
I think BS probably is a townie who has no internet access or computer assess. I wouldn't mind one but the likelihood is that they will be replaced.
lynchking wrote:I'm terribly sorry for being mia, guys. I'll be quite busy this weekend, so let me know if you guys want me replaced.

unvote
Getting replaced is up to you but I'd like you to post some of your thoughts by Tuesday, if possible please. (Never said I was a hypocrite when playing Mafia.)

A few thoughts on people and some posts below.
Bulvious and h3ll0 may be budding but I think they're just trying to find scum, for the town.

alnkpa, being concise and to-the-point is townie normally, so why vote on Zdenek for that.

Trying to keep post short, will reread tomorrow probably
sarahfish89
sarahfish89
Townie
sarahfish89
Townie
Townie

Post Post #192 (isolation #9) » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:20 am

Post by sarahfish89 »

Fatso wrote:Computer asses? That's an odd way to put it, but ok.
I'd like to see people's thoughts in general on Bulvious (not if you've recently posted them of course). Not that I think he's scum, but (and maybe I'm just hallucinogenic) it seems to me that quite a few people have labeled him town from the start (sort of a general feeling here, maybe I'm completely wrong). The only reason I say this is because I always get suspicious of anyone who's labeled town without having claimed cop or something.
Woop, spelling mistake.
From what I can see, I think Bulvious is leaning town since they are doing a good job of getting people involved and has been scum hunting a lot.
Zdenek wrote:I think Fatso is probably town because of his chattiness.
Scum can be quite chatty but it's hard to up an act when posting and scum hunting so scum usually don't post a lot.
Bulvious wrote:Yet another post without any scumhunting from Sarah. I look forward you hunting a bit in the very near future.
I'm sorry, but I wont be able to post much today, will look and point out anything I see scummy.
sarahfish89
sarahfish89
Townie
sarahfish89
Townie
Townie

Post Post #203 (isolation #10) » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:08 am

Post by sarahfish89 »

Bulvious wrote:Yet ANOTHER post lacking ANY scumhunting. You're AWFUL town - if you are town. You NEVER have time to post anything and you NEVER find anything scummy of note.
Hmm, your're right, well I am going to ask for a replacement for me.

I'm a sorry to the town and the rest of the players for not being active enough or finding anything scummy. Bulvious is right, that I am being very anti-town so I shall ask for a replacement (and no, I'm not just doing this because Bulvious post that) RL is stopping me from being active. Good luck to my replacement and to the town. I will be lurking, watching games and getting tips. But I will only join a game until I'm sure I can be active.

Mod, please can you find a replacement for me, thank you.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”