Newbie 1138 - Game Over! Town Win!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Wickedestjr
Wickedestjr
Jack of All Trades
Wickedestjr
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (isolation #0) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:07 pm

Post by Wickedestjr »

Hello everyone. I am the IC for this game- an experienced player on the site who helps guide the newer players. Rather than tell you everything I know about the game of mafia immediately, I'm instead going to post/explain methods of scumhunting, common abbreviations, tells, tips, and tricks when they are relevant. However, if you have a question about anything regarding the game or even the site, don't be afraid to ask (even if it isn't relevant to the current situation). At the bottom of the second post by singersigner in this thread, there is a list of helpful links. Another way to learn how to play the game is by reading or glancing at some of the completed games on this site. If you do choose to look at other games I would suggest that you avoid Coney Island or the Theme Park until you have played a few games elsewhere on the site. Those sections of the forum contain theme games that often have unusual mechanics.

While it is my job to help the newer players learn how to play the game, I am still a player in the game. I have a win condition and I am going to try my best to acheive that win condition. Having said that, regardless of my allignment, I am not going to lie to you about what different abbreviations, tells, expressions, and methods of scumhunting mean.

For those of you that don't know, most games start off with what is known as the RVS or Random Voting Stage. This is where the players in the game randomly vote for eachother in order to create a serious discussion. Some players prefer the RQS or Random Questions Stage. This is where players ask eachother questions until we have a serious discussion. Since the Random Voting Stage requires us to vote, I think it is important for everyone to know how to vote. :) You can bold your vote by using the bold tags. For example:

[b*]Vote: Player A[/b] would show up as:
Vote: Player A

...when you remove the asterisk.

You can also italicize or underline a piece of text by switching the 'b's with an 'i' or a 'u' respectively. For example,

[i*]Welcome to mafiascum![/i] would show up as:
Welcome to mafiascum!

And,

[u*]Hello everyone[/u] would show up as:
Hello everyone

My access is limited at the moment, so I don't have time to say much more, but I'll try to post again in a few hours.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky"
-Wickedestjr
Wickedestjr
Wickedestjr
Jack of All Trades
Wickedestjr
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #38 (isolation #1) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:52 pm

Post by Wickedestjr »

I would have explained how to quote players and I would've told everyone to get an avatar, but I see that everyone knows how to quote and everyone has an avatar, so I won't comment on that. If anybody is having problems with quoting or switching/getting an avatar, let me know and I'll try to help.

Responses to Questions1. I have 24 completed games here at mafiascum.
2. Yes I have played mafia on another site. I played three games at a site called AoPS.
3. No, I don't believe in magic.
4. Nope. I've never played with anybody here. A few of the usernames in this game look familiar, however.

If I was mafia and had a kill night 0, I would have killed I Am Innocent. With nothing else to go on I would've eliminated the most experienced player aside from myself both because it would make things slightly easier for me and because it would be unfair to get rid of one of the newer players before they even had the chance to play at all.

I Am Innocent
I Am Innocent wrote:
Honest Abel wrote:Let's skip the stupid discussion about how odds are slim I was chosen to be mafia on both rolls, shall we?

Interesting you would 1) be the one to bring this up when you say you don't want this discussed and 2) phrase it the way you do "how odds are slim"

By 'interesting' do you mean suspicious?

I Am Innocent wrote:Another instance of a player avoiding to determine his own choice of a vote on another player. Add in the fact that if nobody posts, the game does not progress, so why threaten the next poster?

Why would a townie feel threatened by a random vote?

BBmolla
BBmolla wrote:
I Am Innocent wrote:Why the "truly random" vote?

Cause I don't think we can scumhunt off of an introductory post. Do you?

I understand that we can't scumhunt based off of an introductory post, but why did you choose to make your vote completely random rather than think of a jokey or random reason? Wouldn't scum be more likely to cast a vote that they don't have to take any responsibility for?

BBmolla wrote:I don't like this post at all. The four questions are to get aquainted with people, because how I read people is completely different based on how experienced someone is.

You're question is absolutely pointless, considering:
A. 7/9 town is NOT mafia.
B. If there were a Night start kill, who would die would most likely be random considering half of us don't know each other.

You're giving off a "let's get down to business, enough with this tomfoolery," attitude, which in my opinion is scummy. I'm not going to be leading a lynch on you or anything as of yet, but I've got my eye on you.

If you see nothing else that is more suspicious, then why not vote for Honest Abel? Did you think you would get more use out of your random vote?

Scumhunter
Scumhunter wrote:vote: BBmolla

Name I recognize the most ^

I hate RVS. Like absolutely despite it. Just saying. Someone else do all the work and generate content and I'll help find the scum later.

You don't like the RVS and we seem to have a serious discussion going on, so why not comment on or contribute to that discussion? Do you suspect BBmolla or Honest Abel for their questions?

Personally, I don't have any issue with any of the questions asked thus far. In fact, I have my own question to ask everyone. @Everyone- Did you want to be mafia or town this game? Which allignment would you have liked to receive the most?
-Wickedestjr
Wickedestjr
Wickedestjr
Jack of All Trades
Wickedestjr
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #39 (isolation #2) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:57 pm

Post by Wickedestjr »

Some/Most/All of you are probably wondering how to create those boxes like I did in my last post. It is very simple. You simply use area tags. For example:

[area*]abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[/area]
...without the aterisk would show up as:
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

You'll notice that I also gave each of the boxes in my previous post a title. This is also pretty easy and works the exact same way as quote tags. For example:

[*area="The Alphabet"]abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[/area]
...without the asterisk would show up as:
The Alphabetabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
-Wickedestjr
Wickedestjr
Wickedestjr
Jack of All Trades
Wickedestjr
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #68 (isolation #3) » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:01 am

Post by Wickedestjr »

BBmolla
BBmolla wrote:I, like scumhunter, think RVS is a lousy tradition. Take note of the "Random Voting State."

If you think RVS is a lousy tradition, then why participate in it? Do you think there is a better way to generate a serious discussion? Also, you chose to participate, so I'll ask you again. Why did you choose to make your vote completely random rather than think of a jokey or random reason? Wouldn't scum be more likely to cast a vote that they don't have to take any responsibility for?

BBmolla wrote:I haven't voted Abel because I want to take everyone into consideration before I vote to lynch somebody. Also, I've learned that first looks can be decieving, so I want it to go on a bit more and see his and everyone elses interactions with each other before I make a vote.

Okay, but note that you can change your vote whenever you want and sometimes the best way to determine someone's allignment is by voting them.

BBmolla wrote:Also, I just want to say I'm not a fan of your question because it seems a bit rolefishy to me. I don't see what makes this game any different than other games, but I always prefer to be aligned with the town.

I don't think it is rolefishing. Rolefishing is where you ask a player questions that could reveal what their allignment is. I'm not asking you anything about your role in this game, but I'm asking if you would have preferred to be town or scum.

dicknose
dicknose wrote:i don't prefer a certain alignment as long as i get either a mafia or power role because i feel like i don't accomplish anything as vanilla town.

You'll find that in most of your games you will be a vanilla townie. I've been a vanilla townie in 50% of my completed games. If you are a vanilla townie, you can accomplish something by figuring out who the mafia are during the day which is ultimately the whole point of the game if you are town.

dicknose wrote:i have a couple questions. townies, what's your strategy? mafiosos, what is yours?

As a townie, I try to ask lots of questions and make sure to consider all the different possibilities. As scum, I try to avoid connecting myself to my scumbuddies, try to suspect who I would suspect as town, ask the questions I would ask as town, but avoid doing things that would normally attract suspicion towards me (even if they are things I do as town).

DarkClaymore
DarkClaymore wrote:However, sometimes scum tend to make longer posts and make everything look VERY reasonable. So I'll keep my current vote as Abel fits the pattern.

Can you elaborate on this, please?

DarkClaymore wrote:Many said they would have killed one of the more experienced players, but that's wine tbh. Think about it.
Most people here believe that one of the experienced players would be killed. So N0 passes and a newbie is killed. What would you think? Would you think that means all the experienced players are scum?

This can be a pretty good strategy to easily take out two or more townies. Kill a newbie at night and make the experienced ones suspicious so it'll be easier to kill them during the day.

As this is how I see it, I can't be sure who I would have killed. I believe that if the IC player were part of the mafia, I would have killed a newbie. People would expect the IC to be killed above anyone else. If a SE player is killed, they'd conclude the IC is most likely scum. Thus killing a newbie will be the right move as it'll make both the SE and IC players suspicious.

I believe in any other case I would have killed a IC as expected from me . Or perhaps a SE in order to make the IC a lynchbait due to reason stated above. But then again, I could always kill a newbie in order to make them all suspicious. So I think this is wine and there's no definite answer. Not for me at least.

For the record, if I was mafia and had a kill night 0, I would have killed I Am Innocent and used the argument that the newbies would have wanted to keep me around for at least a day to help guide them.

cavjj, whilst, and Scumhunter
cavjj wrote:As a townie, for me it's a lynch all liars policy.

How would you catch somebody in a lie? And how would you find scum if you couldn't catch somebody in a lie?

[quote="whilst']Are we expected to tally the vote counts by ourselves? Or will the moderator do this for us?[/quote]
In nearly all of the mafia games you play here on mafiascum, including this one, the mod is going to post votecounts. You'll notice that they posted one yesterday. :)

Scumhunter wrote:@wickedest, no of course I don't suspect BBmolla or HonestAbel for their questions. Do you?

Nope.

Honest Abel, BBmolla, and cavjj all look like town at the moment, but whilst looks like mafia.
Vote: whilst
I agree with Honest Abel's point against him in his post 56. It looks like he's been playing the people pleaser and it seems like he's trying to avoid attracting any attention or suspicion. Furthermore, he hasn't taken any real stances yet in the game, but also hasn't been doing anything to obtain reads, either.
-Wickedestjr
Wickedestjr
Wickedestjr
Jack of All Trades
Wickedestjr
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #146 (isolation #4) » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:38 am

Post by Wickedestjr »

Hi guys. I'm afraid I don't have time to make a post right now, but I'll try to do it tomorrow. I will say that we shouldn't have lynched yesterday without more discussion first. And we also shouldn't be so quick to lynch today, either.
-Wickedestjr

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”