RadioScum (Thread 2.0) - Faraday needs to suck more

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #500 (ISO) » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:15 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

lol. No one has called reck a twat donkey yet. I am disappoint.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #501 (ISO) » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:17 pm

Post by Faraday »

In post 500, Thestatusquo wrote:lol. No one has called reck a twat donkey yet. I am disappoint.

there's still time!
are you thinking of me when you're with somebody else?
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #502 (ISO) » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:19 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

it'll break the streak :(
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #503 (ISO) » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:34 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

I made it out alive without being called a twatdonkey this week!
green shirt thursdays
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #504 (ISO) » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:35 pm

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

Nope!
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #505 (ISO) » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:46 pm

Post by Nobody Special »

Wrong. You were definitely called a twatdonkey. I heard it. Catch the replay, pay attention.
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #506 (ISO) » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:53 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

WTF, I MISSED IT?
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #507 (ISO) » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:08 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #508 (ISO) » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:12 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

green shirt thursdays
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #509 (ISO) » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:30 am

Post by zoraster »

I can't speak to Andrius' voice's sexiness, but he needs to slowww down.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #510 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:33 am

Post by zoraster »

I'd like to make a small suggestion: change the format to mostly be discussion first then mashups following it. A lead in song is okay... a 2-3 minute interlude song to separate topics is good, but the long segments that vary in length make it kind of hard to listen to. I love music and I enjoy knowing the difference in taste a lot of people have, but... I feel like it detracts from the general experience and is something that makes me less likely to want to tune in, especially live where I can't skip forward.

Anyway, it's your show Reck, so you can do whatever you want, but I figured I'd put out my opinion for what it's worth. I actually think you'll get more listeners who listen more carefully to your show... and if you do 2-3 minute interludes, I think you'll actually get more people listening to your music because they won't tune it out waiting for the relevant discussion.
esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
I Reject Your Corporeality...
esuriospiritus
they/ask
Pronoun: they/ask

Post Post #511 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:09 am

Post by esuriospiritus »

So the other day I was listening to this and heard a Katamari song

I'm not sure which one it was, but it was like the best thing EVER and I can't seem to find it anywhere

I don't suppose anyone would be willing to dig up a list of the katamari songs that play during Radioscum Off-Air?
First you get your wings back. Then you learn to fly.

Andrius
Andrius
The Baker
Andrius
The Baker
The Baker

Post Post #512 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:26 pm

Post by Andrius »

In post 509, zoraster wrote:I can't speak to Andrius' voice's sexiness, but he needs to slowww down.

Honestly I'd be a bit creeped out if you started speaking to that.
But yeah I do tend to speak fast, especially when excited. :/
"This is the true face of a man who plays paladin."
InflatablePie
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
InflatablePie
they / them
Accept When They Do
Accept When They Do
Pronoun: they / them

Post Post #513 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:39 pm

Post by InflatablePie »

Note to self - do not pick up a shift this Friday evening.
If you don't know how to lie, then how do you know when you're being lied to?

No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible.
ChannelDelibird
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
ChannelDelibird
He/they
Card Czar
Card Czar
Pronoun: He/they

Post Post #514 (ISO) » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:24 pm

Post by ChannelDelibird »

In post 511, esuriospiritus wrote:So the other day I was listening to this and heard a Katamari song

I'm not sure which one it was, but it was like the best thing EVER and I can't seem to find it anywhere

I don't suppose anyone would be willing to dig up a list of the katamari songs that play during Radioscum Off-Air?

Go to www.radioscum.fm and log in (you will need to register if you haven't already), then you'll be able to search the auto-DJ songs by artist or song title.
#greenshirtthursdays
esuriospiritus
esuriospiritus
they/ask
esuriospiritus
they/ask
Pronoun: they/ask

Post Post #515 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:07 am

Post by esuriospiritus »

When I try to follow the confirmation link from the email it says "this page is temporarily unavailable." :/
First you get your wings back. Then you learn to fly.

AGar
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
AGar
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #516 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:08 am

Post by AGar »

Yeah I am incapable of registering.
Ski mask? Check! Sawed off? Check! Guilty conscience, fear of death? Check! Check! Check!

Get to know me. Or don't. I won't tell you what to do. I'm not God. Or your father. Or your boss.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #517 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:37 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

I like the format, if anything I think the discussion sections are too long. I would love to have them scaled down to about 10 minutes each, and then have the one song mimic commercials.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #518 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:46 am

Post by zoraster »

Shorter discussion sections with short song interludes would work. I just think that having these large blocks of songs tends to kill the momentum.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #519 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:44 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

There are several logistical problems with nixing the longer musical interludes.

First off, from a creative point of view, this was originally intended to be a music-oriented show that just so happened to involve talking as well. Only having about 10 minutes of music for the entire evening with 50 minutes of talking kinda goes against the original idea of the show; not that I'm married to the idea of having equal parts talking and music, but...

Secondly, it's
very
difficult to get that much mileage out of the topics. I know everyone likes the talking bits, but in general, I try to let the talking bits play out as long as they can until I feel we're just treading water or have run out of things to say, and I move on to the music. We certainly couldn't get 50 minutes of discussion out of a 60 minute show. As it stands, with openings and plugs/signoffs, we're getting about 45 minutes of discussion out of each show, and 40 minutes of music.

Third, 2-3 minutes isn't really a long enough time to have a break. During those breaks, several things can happen: bathroom breaks, phonecalls, beer runs, smoke break, or even getting organized for the next segment. It actually gives us a chance to get a little more relaxed, as we're usually chatting behind-the-scenes while the music is running, and when the music ends and we finally come back live on the air, we already have a good rhythm going on the next discussion topic.

I'll admit the musical interludes have gotten to be a bit long recently. I could permanently cut the guest requests down to 1-2 songs each instead of 3 and only play one mashup with each song, which would cut the breaks in between discussion down by about five minutes. But like I said -- it's kind of a struggle to continually pop out 2-3 unique, new discussion topics every single week, and it's hard to keep discussion flowing naturally regarding those topics. The show itself might be running a bit too long now, hitting about 80-90 minutes per episode instead of 60 minutes. I took the extra time slot because some of the more entertaining shows in Season 1 tended to run way over the hour long slot. I think
some
trimming of the fat could occur. I'll have to start fiddling with the timings a bit in weeks to come.
green shirt thursdays
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #520 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:55 am

Post by zoraster »

Well, that's kind of why I suggested putting the music at the end. You don't get rid of it, but you get the discussion part up front. If it makes the talk portion of the show only 30 minutes, that doesn't seem like a bad thing. It also might make it easier to find a more diverse selection of guests since the time demand on it changes from being 80 minutes or so to 30.

That said, I appreciate the challenge behind finding unique things to talk about each week.

Have you considered, in addition to having sort of guest decided topics and topics you're interested in, having recurring short segments? For example, do a "game analysis" where you pick a recently finished game and talk about that? I know you do this to some degree already (e.g. Goofbash Invitational last week), but you could probably get 5 minutes out of that and it probably spurs on other discussion without having to think about anything really unique. It'd also increase the chances of individuals hearing their names mentioned in the program, and that'll increase listenership if you mention what game is going to be covered beforehand (and possibly even mention it in the game thread). I also think that might make the show feel a little broader in its nature since it'd force you to do games that you weren't necessarily in. The only difficulty with that specific recurring segment is that you get the best discussion if your guests will have skimmed the thread (or played in it) beforehand.
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #521 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:05 am

Post by Faraday »

People sending in stuff they'd like to hear discussed helps too, I mean I generally ask a few people if they've ideas, as there's stuff I don't even think of to discuss and that helps me. Skimming MD is usually helpful too.

I could see the guest requests being trimmed to 2 songs + a mashup, I guess. I think how much discussion you get does depend on the topic up for discussion and then the people who are the show too, to some degree.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #522 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:08 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

We've actually tried to devise recurring segments in the show, but nothing has stuck. We used to play the "Roger Ebert Game" and kept track of wins and losses for that, but that was too non-mafia related. We also have an unofficial "JD Rants" segment that happens whenever he's on the show, but it's not that strong. The problem with segments is that they have to have a specific theme and rhythm, otherwise they feel a little stale. I've considered doing a "This Week in Scummies..." segment every week on the show, but my guests rarely have enough knowledge of recently completed games to talk about the Scummy nominations.

I've also considered doing a separate show, maybe bimonthly or monthly, where we talk about all the recent Scummy nominations in detail on the air.

I also don't want Mashups & Mafia to go ENTIRELY mafia discussion, because some of the most fun I've had on the show has been when we've completely derailed our train of thought and gotten off on talking about random shit (ie, CDB's cum-in-hair remover from Season 1).
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #523 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:09 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 521, Faraday wrote:People sending in stuff they'd like to hear discussed helps too, I mean I generally ask a few people if they've ideas, as there's stuff I don't even think of to discuss and that helps me. Skimming MD is usually helpful too.

I could see the guest requests being trimmed to 2 songs + a mashup, I guess. I think how much discussion you get does depend on the topic up for discussion and then the people who are the show too, to some degree.

I honestly thought last week's discussion on emotional manipulation regarding out-of-game relationships/friendships was really solid, and we got a lot of really interesting discussion out of that. But on a regular basis, very few people have legitimate suggestions, and so we're stuck digging through MD to find discussion topics, which often just feels like rehashing an entire thread in MD.
green shirt thursdays
Faraday
Faraday
...should I be here?
Faraday
...should I be here?
...should I be here?

Post Post #524 (ISO) » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:15 am

Post by Faraday »

Ya, there's a few things I actually have for the next time I'm on that I *think* could make for interesting discussion but it can be difficult, I mean also you don't want only 2 of the 3 people on to be able to talk about something.

Doing a monthlyish show on the scummies could be fun, I guess. Or at least you could talk about it once every so often on your show if other topics don't come up.

Return to “General Discussion”