Amstaadian Flora and Fauna

Older threads and ideas relating to the Amstaad RPG.
Thok
Thok
Disgrace to SKs everywhere
Thok

Post Post #6 (isolation #0) » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:49 pm

Post by Thok »

Vardanu (aka Thok wanted the setting to have riding lizards)

Physical Description: A scaled up version of a Komodo Dragon; adults are typically 12 feet long, 4 feet tall and the main body is four feet wide with two powerful appendages protruding from each side. Their skin is a tough greyish leathery substance that is resistent to piercing and tearing, which developed as a consequence of the low and compact body structure. Their hide also provides some protection against temperature variations; while cold-blooded, a Vardanu can be fully active at anywhere between 40-85 degrees Fahrenheit. Typically the body of a Vardanu hovers mere inches above the ground, but unimpeded the animal can move speedily (up to 15 miles per hour) over even relatively uneven terrain.

Most Vardanu are domesticated and are used by several races as pack animals or for transport. A typical Vardanu can pull up to two tons at a rate of 2 miles per hour for an extended period of time without rest (6-8 hours). Vardanu are herbivores and as domesticated creatures have no natural predators. There are occasionaly rumors of feral Verdanu that grow to twice the size of an average Verdanu; these have yet to be substaniated.
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #8 (isolation #1) » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:48 am

Post by Thok »

Yeah, that seems reasonable.
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #13 (isolation #2) » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:16 am

Post by Thok »

Chicken (aka Protein)

Physical description: Your standard Rhode Island Red (obviously not called that). Used as a source of eggs and meat. Everything tastes like chicken.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #18 (isolation #3) » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:58 pm

Post by Thok »

Vinzer Crabs (Hey, we do have a port nearby)

Physical Description: Relatively large (half foot tall, weighs about 15 pounds) crabs, with a tough shell and claws. Generally ignored by the TikTuk, but their eggs and meat are prized delicacies in the Noble's District.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #22 (isolation #4) » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:20 pm

Post by Thok »

Salmon

The TikTuk need to catch something when they go fishing.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #26 (isolation #5) » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:25 pm

Post by Thok »

Ocelot

A small spotted wild cat. Feasts on small wild prey (mice, rabbits, small birds, occasionally a deer if it can catch one). Nocturnal, it sleeps in trees during the day. Usually found in small groups of 3-6. Somewhat territorial and will attempt to attack/frighten away intruders.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #30 (isolation #6) » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:09 pm

Post by Thok »

Jungo Berry

Physical Decription: A thorny vine with a somewhat tart berry. The berries can be eaten raw, or cooked into a sumptious jam. The taste is a close to a cross between lime and raspberry.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #34 (isolation #7) » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:21 pm

Post by Thok »

Crabapple tree:

Yep more flora, and more stuff to make jelly out of.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #39 (isolation #8) » Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:24 pm

Post by Thok »

Bees

You know the drill, they provide honey, pollenize flowers and sting things.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #43 (isolation #9) » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:07 pm

Post by Thok »

Giant Vulture

Physical Description: A large carnviorous scavenger, an adult Giant Vulture is typically the size of a small hut (10 feet tall with a 20 foot wing span). These creatures are fairly rare; one nest of 5-10 vultures can scavenge a large region of over 100 miles in radius. Has large claws for piercing hides and carrying corpses to the nest.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #48 (isolation #10) » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:56 pm

Post by Thok »

Shadow Root

A black raddish that grows solely in the wild. General Consensus believes that this is a cursed plant, poisonous for consumption and just generally cursed. Certain cultures have complicated rituals to purify a field tained by Shadow Root. General Consensus is in fact horribly wrong; with proper preparation Shadow Root makes a good stew, although it must be cooked (as it is quite bitter when eaten raw).
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #52 (isolation #11) » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:30 am

Post by Thok »

Oranges:

Not native to the area (wrong cliamte), but they are a frequent import. (Some small groves do exist). Oranges are round, orange, and prevent scurvy.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #56 (isolation #12) » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:19 pm

Post by Thok »

Drowse grubs

Small black grubs that secrete a sedative from their skin that causes drowsiness in most mammals. (The grubs are of course immune to their own sedative). Individually not much of a threat, but they typically works in colonies of thousands, mass swarming a target so it falls unconscious from combined effect of the sedative which is slowly devoured. A typical colony only targets a small number of animals at a time (usually at most 5).
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #60 (isolation #13) » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:43 pm

Post by Thok »

Dandelions

We all know what this is. Comes in many varieties, such as the large Flying Dander and the blood-drinking Carnivorous Weed.

(1/2 laziness + 1/2 tiredness + 1/2 silliness = inspired!)
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #64 (isolation #14) » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:49 pm

Post by Thok »

Beavers

(Too tired to even write a good one line physical description, much less od somethig crazy like a buffalo-beaver hybrid)
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #68 (isolation #15) » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:52 am

Post by Thok »

Bah, I need to pay more attention to this.

Larna Casova-A small white flower (imagine a white rose) which is considered a symbol of purity and faithfulness by several cultures. Frequently seen in churches, at weddings, and often given as a present to one's true love.

The seedier side of town will see Larna Casova potions sold as aphrodesiacs. In reality, such a potion is worthless snake oil (although not actually harmful).
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #74 (isolation #16) » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:43 pm

Post by Thok »

Gungarra Elm

Physical Description: A smallish tree (typically reaches at most 5 feet tall at maturity), whose leaves have been used for centuries as dressings for wounds by the Tiktuk tribe. Will blossom with a relatively drab blue flower.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #79 (isolation #17) » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:23 am

Post by Thok »

Kathari Herb

A plant use for medicinal purposes with a bitter taste. Can be brewed to make potions, or smoked and inhaled.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #84 (isolation #18) » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:24 pm

Post by Thok »

Tintrin

Smallish fireflies commonly found in the wilderness. Named after their mating call, which sounds like a bell going "Tin Trin Trin Trin Trin". Sometimes captured and used for entertainment in play houses.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #90 (isolation #19) » Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:26 am

Post by Thok »

Finch

Bird. Eats seeds and nuts. Is eaten by various carnivores. Not particularly big (most can be held in two hands).

(Not inspired, but we have relatively few smallish birds).
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #95 (isolation #20) » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:28 pm

Post by Thok »

Sprats

Small, oily fish. Once caught, they may be salted and stored for as long term provisions. Certain varieties are also processed for their oil, which when refined can be used in lamps.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #100 (isolation #21) » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:41 am

Post by Thok »

Krynoch

A form of living crystal that subsists on mostly inorganic material (dirt, rocks, stones, occasionally metal ore and bone). Typically fairly small and sluglike in shape and movement. Reproduce asexually; when they reach a typical size, they split in two. Size and color depend on food sources; wild Krynoch generlly have dull coloring with blotches appearing on them. There has been some attempts to breed Krynoch domestically.
Thok
Thok
Thok

Post Post #105 (isolation #22) » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:09 am

Post by Thok »

Giant Mosquitos: Roughly the size of a human head. Parasitic/blood sucking.

Return to “Old Aamstaad”