Policy Discussion: Invitationals

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #19 (isolation #0) » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:33 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Invitationals don't have to be about "best of the best". There was a Teen-vitational or something with an age-based criterion once, wasn't there? Single-gender games might be interesting, and we've had a few attempts/proposals about foreign-language games (which I think should just be a separate queue if we ever get enough of them).

mith, didn't Verbose 2 have a vetted player list though? I didn't think it was classified as an Invitational, and it didn't precisely follow the "first-come-first-lynched" strategy you outlined above. Also, I know some mods have a minimum time-on-site requirement, and there are a few players that have been refused from regular games.

I agree with Stoofer that public nominations probably didn't suit and I'm glad to see they won't be recurring, but some sort of input/feedback/nomination from people other than the mod(s) would still be good, I say.

a) You may want to clarify if Newbie Games count (or count as half, or whatever) for the 5-game requirement. The setup is given to the mod and the timeframe is a lot shorter, so it may require some tweaking to actually tally the full range of experience you want. I've got 22 games under my belt for example, but 18 of them are Newbies.

1-2) Yes, continue them at some level. I think the biggest complaint about the last one had been worked out. They should be rare and special though, not a way to bypass the queues. If anything, I'd increase the requirements, per my comment above. Not sure how yet; Scummies for Mods?
3) Largely irrelevant in my view. If we trust the mod to run an Invitational, they can design it to their preference, right? Maybe put some size caps in place for "normal" Invitationals (20 or less players?) to keep them from overrunning the site, but... on the other hand, Theme Park already has no queue. Any "theme" or flavor should be broad enough in appeal to be attractive to the span of players you want to invite, of course. An Invitational isn't the place for Naruto Mafia. I'd rather see Normals and Mafia Mutations than "Theme" games in the sense of source material.
4) I like JEEP's idea of having
certain
Scummies qualify players for a Best of MafiaScum Minvitational. Obviously
Most Likely to Die Night One
isn't a good example...
Last edited by Mr. Flay on Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Retired as of October 2014.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #37 (isolation #1) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:16 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

If our population was more invested in each of their games, I'd support the idea of an open-sized game. Problem is, I fear that it would do one of two things:
a) the game would be so large and unwieldy that it would suck the life out of many other games on the site;
b) no one would want to get in a game so large and unwieldy, and it would lose the specialness you're looking for because only 12-15 people would sign up.

Either way, I don't think it falls under the category of "Invitational".
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #50 (isolation #2) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:51 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Public voting? That's had objections for reasons of rejection/ill will on the part of those who don't get in.

Secret voting? Subject to throw-away accounts/ballot-stuffing.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #54 (isolation #3) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:11 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

*snort* I don't know why not, she's invited over 100 friends to the site already...

Anyway, Thok's suggestion of voting by PM takes away my own personal objections to any sort of secret ballotting. Dunno what it does for other people...

Return to “Mafia Discussion”