Policy Discussion: Invitationals

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Rainbow Brite
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Flexible

Post Post #23 (isolation #0) » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:43 am

Post by Rainbow Brite »

the thing about invitationals is that if we make too much of a big deal of it, it's easily read as not being in it is a mark of disapproval.

i've been in effectively-invitational games that were low-profile minigames and they were good fun, but i doubt anyone got upset about not being in them because most people weren't any more aware of them than any other minigame.

so really it depends on what the purpose of the invitational is. if it's to be a focus of the site's attention as the marquee game of the year, then that's a bad thing, because exclusion from it is meaningful. if it's a way of putting together a bunch of players so as to create a unique play environment - one where all share a particular approach to the game, thus the invitational nature means that each player in the game will make the game that much more enjoyable for each
other
player in the game - then that's a good thing.

any large invitational is probably likely to have elements of both the upside and downside.

i think in terms of small/low-profile invitationals, any non-first-come-first-served player recruitment basis needs to be monitored, but the principle is one that's sound and healthy in moderation.
hey, a sig!
Rainbow Brite
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Rainbow Brite
Flexible
Flexible

Post Post #44 (isolation #1) » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:18 am

Post by Rainbow Brite »

AniX wrote:Serious =/= Good. Thats a rookie mistake people make that doesn't translate.
the question here is - what's the purpose of an invitational? is it to have nothing but the
best
, or to come up with a group of players whose playstyles gel and complement each other?

although i will say for the record that every game needs at least two good trolls. :)
hey, a sig!

Return to “Mafia Discussion”