Policy Discussion: Invitationals

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...
Pronoun: he/him/his

Post Post #24 (isolation #0) » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:34 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

mith wrote:1. Do you think we should have invitationals at all?
2. About how many invitationals per year is a good number?
3. What type of game should invitationals be (basic normal, themed)?
4. How should the "best" players be chosen?
1.) Yes. But not necessarily traditional "invitationals".
2.) I suppose 1-3 would be sufficient (I like the possibility of 2 Minis and 1 Large spread across the year). I would be thrilled to read one involving current players, let alone be able to play in one, personally.
3.) Depends on the Mod. Just so long as the theme does not require background information (like you have to have seen a specific movie, or something) the game should be fine.
4.) I think the application process is the way to go.

Personally, I am not so much interested in an "invitational" as I am interested in a game free of players who I believe will significantly ruin the gaming experience. There are some players who simply have a tendency to screw up, or to lurk, or to flake out, or to be purposefully unhelpful. It's just no fun looking at the player list and having to think "jeez, if I draw mafia, I really hope my partners don't include X, Y, or Z". I think players are entitled to play games where they look at the player list, and would feel confident being paired with
any
other players.

A simple application process should be able to test the enthusiasm of players. I personally considered Verbose 2 to essentially be an invitational in this sense, as it was well-played by everybody, and I would have been delighted to have been partnered with anybody (and I was already delighted being with MBF and CES as Satanic Nuns to start with).
"Logic? I call that flapdoodle."
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...
Pronoun: he/him/his

Post Post #33 (isolation #1) » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:44 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Yosarian2 wrote:Or one other thought; if we're going to have 3 mini-invitationals this year, we could just invite the 36 most active and serious players on mafiascum to be in them, 12 per game, I think that should include most of the really active players on the site; and then the big invitational can be drawn based on which players do best in those games.
The 3 seperate games with 36 players is intriguing (probably the best way to keep a diverse mix), but I wouldn't necessarily try to choose the "best players" from those for a larger game. What about people who die Night One and therefore can't make a large impact on the game? Etc, etc...
"Logic? I call that flapdoodle."

Return to “Mafia Discussion”