Stoofer's 3rd Law

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #10 (isolation #0) » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:49 pm

Post by jeep »

I don't think that this necessarily is true. You do have to remember that not all abilities are benficial abilities. Generally a role-blocker is neutral to negative for the town. A cop is helpful. Imagine this set-up:
18 sane cops; 4 mafia

You can't say that the number of cops will DECREASE the town's ability to win, can you?

When designing a game, you must be careful to understand the impact of any special role you include. Including more does not always balance towards scum.

-JEEP
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #15 (isolation #1) » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:21 pm

Post by jeep »

Yosarian2 wrote:
jeep wrote:Generally a role-blocker is neutral to negative for the town
I strongly disagree with this.

Let me put it this way. Say a roleblocker uses his ability at random night zero. Let's also say that this is a 12 person mini game with more town power then average, with a cop, a doc, a vig, a roleblocker, with 3 person mafia, and a SK.
OK... you assume that the roleblocker can even stop the mafia. In games I've run in the past, that was a reasonable assumption, since I made the mafia tell me who was doing the kill. But in practice, it generally turned out to be bad. In one game the cop was blocked and the doc prevented the kill. So there were two pieces of bad information in the mix. I understand your comments, but I don't agree with how serious the "misses" are or how valuable the "hits" are.

-JEEP
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #16 (isolation #2) » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:22 pm

Post by jeep »

Mr Stoofer wrote:Perhaps I should clarify. My point is that as you start adding in
more
and
complex
pro-town roles,
at some point
they start to become less helpful to the Town.
Okay, so without more information on what you mean by "more and complex" then I don't think it's a very useful law.

-JEEP
jeep
jeep
Cappo Bastone
jeep
Cappo Bastone
Cappo Bastone

Post Post #31 (isolation #3) » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:58 am

Post by jeep »

Mr Stoofer wrote:
jeep (emphasis added) wrote: In one game the cop was blocked and the doc prevented the kill.
So there were two pieces of bad information in the mix
. I understand your comments, but I don't agree with how serious the "misses" are or how valuable the "hits" are.
This is exactly my point!
Yeah. I just don't think your "law" is phrased accurately. I agree with some of the idea behind it.

As to roleblocker, I strongly feel that it's not a positive town role unless it's an open setup. The roleblocker can never know if they blocked anything from happening or if it was just a fluke that the SK targetted the godfather or...

-JEEP

Return to “Mafia Discussion”