How To Mod - Version 2.0

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #8 (isolation #0) » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:42 pm

Post by Kelly Chen »

I feel like answering these...
StallingChamp wrote:What would you say is the lenght of time without someone posting for them to be prodded?
I believe I might prod someone after as little as four days, especially if this period doesn't straddle a weekend. Anything longer than four days is fair game I'd say...
What should you do if they respond in PM that they are keeping up, but choosing not to post?
Get pissed off. Good question. I don't think this should count for much of anything, since most rulesets say that you need to actually post. Maybe post in the thread that
So-and-so has PMed me to say they are choosing not to post.
That should get them some attention.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #10 (isolation #1) » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:14 pm

Post by Kelly Chen »

It has its purpose, but you as the mod have to decide how much you're going to tolerate, since it's potentially harmful to the game.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #20 (isolation #2) » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:22 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

Well, I wouldn't actually post "so and so has said they don't want to post" in the thread.

What's the point of prodding players every three days, let's say, if you're not even demanding that they post? It seems like overkill if all that really matters is if the player needs to be replaced.

The rules typically say you have to post with some regularity. As I'm able to (and am sufficiently irritated), I replace players who don't post, even players who actually do post but just say "I'll post later."

I don't consider it sacred to be able to lurk beyond what the rules suggest you can even do.

Also, I can't tell if TSQ is also suggesting that an adequate response to a prod is just to open it and then do nothing, not even a PM to the mod. I have considered that modkillable when replacements weren't available.

gorckat: I almost always state "prodding X," but usually only state whether the prod was picked up if asked. Because when the prod isn't even picked up, this usually means the player's spot should be open to replacement.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #24 (isolation #3) » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:46 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

Agree with CES, although in some setups I have informed people when their actions were stopped by a roleblocker.

You can tweak that kind of thing based on what's most interesting and not too confusing to figure out.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #38 (isolation #4) » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:20 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

molestar is there some reason you don't want to set a deadline?

I would send prods at least to those people who you think might not be checking the site anymore.

If the day has been going a few weeks I believe some mods might deadline the game for as soon as one week after the announcement. Although I really wouldn't want to do that if I wasn't sure I had all my player spots filled.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #43 (isolation #5) » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:33 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

Surely you have seen some of the astonishing garbage setups that brand new mods have occasionally proposed in this forum.

Looking at best and worst case scenarios is very good advice.
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #50 (isolation #6) » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:43 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

In what sense would the mod be "rescuing" or "helping out" this player?

Are you thinking that the mod looks at the nonresponsive nonposters and thinks "hmm, this lurker will surely be lynched if he doesn't start posting, so
in order to help his side
I might replace him"?

In my mind it's like a large obnoxious party at a restaurant that never orders anything and just takes up seats. The sign says you have to order something. If the table were free I could seat somebody who would order something (we hope). I could make the other customers (maybe those coming in) pressure you to order something or leave. But it's easier and less disruptive if I do them all a favor and evict them myself.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”