Mastin Academy

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
VysePresident
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #251 (isolation #0) » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:03 pm

Post by VysePresident »

In post 247, Jake from State Farm wrote:I'm not going out of my way to avoid anyone but I'll try to remember. Still not sure if I'm going to play or not but want to figure out how to stop tunneling and how to convince people to Lynch people I know are scum. My last game I knew someone was scum and that person survived and won. That's like the 2 or 3rd time its happened.

If you want pointers, I'll be glad to PM you. I was in that game, if you recall, and I still have a pretty clear idea of what was turning me off of listening to you. I mean, I don't think you lack for anyting in the guide :P

Just an offer. Fair warning, I won't be rude or insult you, but I'll be pretty straightforward & blunt in other respects.
VysePresident
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #254 (isolation #1) » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:52 am

Post by VysePresident »

In post 252, Jake from State Farm wrote:at this point I have been insulted so many times across all my accounts I think I am pretty numb to it by now but yeah I'd love thoughts. I really want to improve my play and to be taken seriously when I try to lynch somebody.

Alright! I've got some stuff to take care of today, but I'll try to get on this ASAP. :)
VysePresident
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #257 (isolation #2) » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:18 pm

Post by VysePresident »

Vote a Townie. :P

(I kid, I promise.)
VysePresident
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #261 (isolation #3) » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:52 pm

Post by VysePresident »

In post 254, VysePresident wrote:
In post 252, Jake from State Farm wrote:at this point I have been insulted so many times across all my accounts I think I am pretty numb to it by now but yeah I'd love thoughts. I really want to improve my play and to be taken seriously when I try to lynch somebody.

Alright! I've got some stuff to take care of today, but I'll try to get on this ASAP. :)

Just want to apologize for how long this is taking. I haven't forgotten, but I got a bit overwhelmed with life. I'll try to have something for you on the weekend, okay?
VysePresident
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #268 (isolation #4) » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:19 am

Post by VysePresident »

In post 262, Soren wrote:I've been a skeptic in this game. Many days I find myself realizing that (almost) every action can be interpreted as coming from both town and scum, which makes me sit on the fence a lot. How do I relinquish myself from these skeptic chains?

A lot of the time, I find it comes down to looking for patterns in the actions. What's the timing indicate? What's the strategic value of making that push at that time?

Then you have to account for the fact that people don't always act strategically, and that comes down to learning who the players are as people, and how they think.

Actually, reverse the order. Learn the players, then account for strategy.

I might be able to help you a bit more later if you still want me to talk about the one game, but I only just got off a rough week at work.
VysePresident
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #271 (isolation #5) » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:37 am

Post by VysePresident »

@Soren - I'll try to get to you via PM tonight or tomorrow. Hard to say which because I'm exhausted, and playing two games, among other things.

For what it's worth, you're never going to be right all the time. (Heck, for all that I'm kinda proud of my overall record, I just had a game a few months ago where I literally got every single read wrong until the very end of the game.) The trick is keeping a clear head, and working with all the material to find the best, most reasonable answer you can. You'll only rarely catch someone out in a couple of posts. (Though I have done it, and have also pushed speculative reads more strongly than warranted for reactions. I find I'm semi-decent at manipulating people, and will sometimes use that in my Town game to pick up on who has an agenda.)

Maybe we can hydra sometime, and I'll show you my thought process. Plus, it'd just be fun.
VysePresident
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #288 (isolation #6) » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:49 pm

Post by VysePresident »

Plot, I think you actually have a very similar playstyle to me. (with the exception that I get lazy/overwhelmed by life a bit easier anymore.) I had few things I could have told you after WDPT, but I'm not sure how many are relevant anymore.

If you still want to hydra sometime, maybe we can both work on this stuff together a bit. Goodness knows I could use feedback.
VysePresident
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #295 (isolation #7) » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:30 pm

Post by VysePresident »

...I kinda realized I promised you a PM and stuff a while back, and failed to deliver due to IRL stuff. :/

Really though, if you've picked up on that much, all I can say is that you'd do well to figure out how a more humble version of you might act, then aim for that. (Patience will be key, since players won't immediately listen to you, fair warning.)

Really, it's more of a matter of becoming the act, so to speak, except that it's less a matter of changing who you are, and more a matter of how you present that.

Just my 02, for what it's worth.
VysePresident
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
VysePresident
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #296 (isolation #8) » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:43 pm

Post by VysePresident »

@Plot - Yeah, I kinda remembered, but wasn't sure if you were still interested, now that you're famous and I'm not. :P (I kid, I kid.)

I think your analysis on WDPT is pretty on point, with the counterpoint that I was kinda meh on Bulbasaur myself. Though to be fair, I can't honestly compare them to Molla given that I knew his alignment at the time. That rather screws with my ability to gauge the situation.

I likewise don't do well when I overextend myself, and am alive in two games at present, which is exactly my maximum. I wouldn't mind catching you after I've had a chance to work through them.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”