The something awful HQ/Embassy

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Xythar
Xythar
Townie
Xythar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #2 (isolation #0) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:07 am

Post by Xythar »

I can't help but feel like "giving a good first impression" and "flooding their board with topics about stuff they don't care about" are mutually exclusive activities
Xythar
Xythar
Townie
Xythar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #78 (isolation #1) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:10 am

Post by Xythar »

schismatized wrote:i think its funny that you guys pay to use a forum. i guess that saying abouts suckers is true: theres one born every minute

I paid $10 once sometime in 2004 and got hundreds of hours of entertainment at what is my favourite forum to post ever. I'd say it's worth it.

I mean seriously it's $10
Xythar
Xythar
Townie
Xythar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #115 (isolation #2) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:34 am

Post by Xythar »

Mert wrote:I'm a Scummer (though I've been on hiatus lately) and a Goon but I've never played Mafia on SA. Should I?
Sure, stop by the Traditional Games forum and check out the Mafia general discussion thread
Xythar
Xythar
Townie
Xythar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #118 (isolation #3) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:21 am

Post by Xythar »

Mert wrote::colbert:
You'll fit right in
:)

Come and play a few games so we can assign you an element >_>
Xythar
Xythar
Townie
Xythar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #121 (isolation #4) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:42 am

Post by Xythar »

Mr. Flay wrote:So how does Mafia-play determine your element? Sort of Fire = likes to lynch quickly, Air are talkers...?
In all honesty it's something we cooked up like, a day ago on IRC (so it's not exactly serious, to say the least). We drew up a political-spectrum-like chart ranking everyone on a scale of serious to not serious (the X axis) and calm to emotional (the Y axis).

Serious & Emotional = fire (red), Serious & Calm = earth (green), Not Serious & Emotional = air (yellow? the only air player who's come here so far is Ecco and s/he hasn't used a colour yet), Not Serious & Calm = water (blue).

I guess you can be heart if you're directly in the middle like Mills is.

Air is the rarest one since usually people who aren't serious by definition don't really get emotional about it. It's a tricky one to pull off.
Xythar
Xythar
Townie
Xythar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #123 (isolation #5) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:47 am

Post by Xythar »

We have one player in particular on SA who pretty much personifies it but it's hard to explain without actually showing you his posts.
Xythar
Xythar
Townie
Xythar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #128 (isolation #6) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:11 am

Post by Xythar »

Fire is the element of cool people who get stuff done. 8-)
Xythar
Xythar
Townie
Xythar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #133 (isolation #7) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:28 am

Post by Xythar »

Mr. Flay wrote:Cool, I'm going to pull this into its own thread (in MD, even, since it's related to the game IMO). Unless someone wants to split out these posts... (I don't have access to do so).
I posted the original chart somewhere then forgot where so here it is again (thanks to Ninth for putting it together)

Not that those names will mean much but you can see the general format at least
Xythar
Xythar
Townie
Xythar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #148 (isolation #8) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:58 am

Post by Xythar »

mith wrote:I suggest that if you people are actually interested in joining this community, you... well, join the community, rather than discussing in jokes from other sites and flooding the forum with nonsense.

I am getting bored with the whole "having to remove things".
We are though :(

Several of our members are playing in games and threads like these seem to be considered interesting enough topics of discussion.
Xythar
Xythar
Townie
Xythar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #173 (isolation #9) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:56 am

Post by Xythar »

Sarcastro wrote:Yes, I realise that you wouldn't have done it if I hadn't asked. The point is that doing it was immature and really not funny. It was just annoying. Simply annoying people for its own sake is trolling.

A suggestion is not the same as forcing you to conform. I never said you had to get avatars. I merely suggested that it would be a good idea if, as Mith says, you want to become regular members of the site.

Feel free to prove me wrong about you guys being immature.
If I may offer a genuine piece of advice back to you, the more angry words you write telling Alasdair not to do something, the more he's actually going to do it. Trust me. I know from experience :/

Return to “General Discussion”