Dice Random Voting

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #2 (isolation #0) » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:28 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Sure, random voting with dice is silly.

Dice should be used for other things, like deciding who you're going to execute.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #7 (isolation #1) » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:39 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Adel wrote:Out with voting for people for random reasons!
In with voting for people for silly reasons!

How many people actually check to make sure that the dice tags were used properly, and that a gif or something wasn't posted instead?
I donno, but faking a random dice role for a random vote would seem like an absurldy stupid risk to me.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #9 (isolation #2) » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:44 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

Adel wrote:but have you ever actually checked?
Um...well, I've never checked intentionally I don't think, but I have sometimes quoted posts like that (either to respond to them, or to remind myself how to do the "dice" code). Even without people intentionally checking, if you do something like that, you're caught as soon as someone quotes your post. And as the gain is so incredibly small...
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #16 (isolation #3) » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:40 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Simenon wrote:I don't care what scum do.

Townies should avoid using something entirely dependant on random factors for random votes. Obviously I can't do anything to stop it, but I can hope this feeling becomes the norm.
I agree.

Or, even if you are going to use random.org or whatever to vote, it's better if you leave unclear if your vote was random or not, so you have at least a chance of getting a reaction. Using dice to prove your vote was random dosn't seem really useful to me.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #29 (isolation #4) » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:30 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Prof. Guppy wrote:Whether it's arbitrary, or truly random, random voting is always useless.
No, arbitrary voting at the start of day 1 isn't totally useless. Will a mafia member arbitrarily vote his scum-buddy, or not? Will you vote for the same person the last guy random voted, or vote someone with no votes on him? Pro-town roles with some information (masons, cops, ect), will vote slightly-better-then-random. Or you might want to vote someone at the start of day 1 for meta reasons, or because you expect them to react, or because of something about their playstyle, or whatever. It's not much, but arbitrary voting can start the game rolling because it does start to involve choices and behavior that can give (subtle and obscure) clues to someone else's alignment; purely and provably random votes won't.

That being said, it's good to switch it up a bit. Sometimes I "random" vote (almost never really random, of course), sometimes I random vote in my second post or something, sometimes I don't vote, and sometimes I manage to find some minor scumtell-like-thing in the second post and go after that with my vote instead.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #31 (isolation #5) » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:59 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

I agree with Seol.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”