Newbie 694 (over)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #1050 (ISO) » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:43 am

Post by GIEFF »

CarnCarn wrote:I'm surprised GIEFF has decided to so boldly throw out a vote in LyLo, without really saying why he thinks fuzzy is definately scum (as I have done with my scenarios above). Maybe a wild scum gambit bussing his buddy?

In any case, I'm fine with a fuzzylightning lynch because I'm pretty sure he's gotta be scum for this game to make sense:

Vote: fuzzylightning
Or were you fine with a FL lynch because you knew that it was a great opportunity to look townie, setting up ME as the scumpartner by wondering if it was a wild scum gambit?
CarnCarn wrote:
Unvote: fuzzylightning

Actually, I just realized that fuzzylightning has not posted yet, so it's possible that Amished is lying about doc claim. What I saw as lack of counterclaim in my quick read could just be fuzzylightning-doc's absence. I would also encourage GIEFF to unvote until fuzzylightning (or replacement) posts, as there is no rush here.
ham is right; you were the first to bring up the possibility of FL-as-doc. And you encouraged me to unvote scum.

CarnCarn wrote:This is definately what I'm leaning towards, too. If fuzzylightning does claim doc... well, we see what happens then (I have a few ideas, but I don't want to really discuss them until fuzzylightning claims).
Another post by you wishing FL would claim doc.

CarnCarn wrote:That's not even a possible setup. My money is on you being fuzzylightning's partner.
Another post by you trying to set somebody up as FL's partner.

And today you have shown absoultely no interest in figuring out who the last scum is.
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #1051 (ISO) » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:58 am

Post by GIEFF »

CarnCarn wrote: This is definately what I'm leaning towards, too. If fuzzylightning does claim doc... well, we see what happens then (I have a few ideas, but I don't want to really discuss them until fuzzylightning claims).
Actually, looking at this quote, it's clear you don't just want FL to claim. You
expect
him to claim. You say you won't discuss it
until
FL claims.

Oops.

Why would a town-aligned player EXPECT FL to counterclaim?
hambargarz
hambargarz
Goon
hambargarz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1052 (ISO) » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:16 pm

Post by hambargarz »

I will add that any votes that CC had on FL that day were removed in the space of a couple of hours.

Particularly the vote on 953. Which was removed after about 15 minutes. His excuse for removing was "realising" FL could be claiming. This would theoretically mean he was thinking about it and still reading after he had posted. Which is fishy considering how busy he always seems to be.
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #1053 (ISO) » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:23 pm

Post by GIEFF »

It has been 13 days since the day started, and 7 days since CC's last post.

If you refuse to contribute, then please ask for replacement. You made a commitment when you replaced into the game; no posts in 7 days and no analysis in 13 days is not fulfilling it.
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #1054 (ISO) » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:28 pm

Post by GIEFF »

My mistake; HAM is the one who didn't post in 7 days, not you, CC.
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #1055 (ISO) » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:51 pm

Post by GIEFF »

This is ridiculous.
CarnCarn
CarnCarn
Mafia Scum
CarnCarn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1056 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:19 am

Post by CarnCarn »

ugh, sorry guys, I've been quite sick over the past week and mafia hasn't been at the top of my priority list.

I believe I mentioned I would get around to my analysis of each of your interactions with fuzzylightning/ClockworkRuse, but I haven't been able to do it. I apologize again for this.

First off, I'll respond to GIEFF's post above:
GIEFF wrote:Or were you fine with a FL lynch because you knew that it was a great opportunity to look townie, setting up ME as the scumpartner by wondering if it was a wild scum gambit?
I pretty much deduced he would have to be scum from my view because I knew there was a doc (as I was RB'd) and Amished was the only doc claim. I hadn't realized that fuzzy didn't claim yet when I voted him. I unvoted when I realized that. But I've already explained this.

Why do you think I'm "setting you up" as the scumpartner? I just found it odd that you threw out a vote for someone in LyLo without giving much reasoning behind it, which is a scummy thing to do.
GIEFF wrote:ham is right; you were the first to bring up the possibility of FL-as-doc. And you encouraged me to unvote scum.
OK... but don't you agree that it was protown? The only reason I trusted Amished claim (at the time I voted) was that he was the only person who claimed doc, and I thought everyone had already claimed. I realized the mistake soon after I voted and decided we needed to hear from fuzzylightning. His response was scummy (as I pointed out yesterday) and that's why I didn't believe the claim. But only after he actually claimed.
Are you saying you'd rather have me vote/lynch a player without giving them a chance to claim? That's not something I will follow.
Anyway, if you're saying I'm so eager to buss my partner, then why would I suddenly shift gears 15 minutes later, when nothing has changed game-wise (no new posts in that time)? That's not WIFOM - there's just no reason to do it.
GIEFF wrote:Another post by you wishing FL would claim doc.
Huh? Where are you getting that impression from?
GIEFF wrote:Actually, looking at this quote, it's clear you don't just want FL to claim. You expect him to claim. You say you won't discuss it until FL claims.

Oops.

Why would a town-aligned player EXPECT FL to counterclaim?
I did expect him to claim because we were massclaiming and he hadn't claimed. I didn't expect him to counterclaim. Nice try twisting my words, though.
GIEFF wrote:Another post by you trying to set somebody up as FL's partner.
I'm not setting anyone up - it's what I think, and I still think so. I believe that was hambargarz I was referring to.

As for the other post I am promising, I will get to that this evening -
I promise

Lots more to come,

CarnCarn
CarnCarn
CarnCarn
Mafia Scum
CarnCarn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1057 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:25 am

Post by CarnCarn »

hambargarz wrote:Particularly the vote on 953. Which was removed after about 15 minutes. His excuse for removing was "realising" FL could be claiming. This would theoretically mean he was thinking about it and still reading after he had posted. Which is fishy considering how busy he always seems to be.
You're right I was still reading after I posted because I suddenly realized that I didn't remember FL ever claiming, and that that destroyed my basis for trusting Amished's doc claim. As the only doc claim, I figured he was confirmed, but then I realized that not everyone had claimed yet.

As for your other comment, in general, my "busyness" comes in waves - very busy at times and not busy at all at others.
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #1058 (ISO) » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:19 am

Post by GIEFF »

CarnCarn wrote:I did expect him to claim because we were massclaiming and he hadn't claimed. I didn't expect him to counterclaim. Nice try twisting my words, though.
I thought you meant you expected him to claim doc, but you just meant claim a role in general. It was confusing because you first talked about FL claiming doc, so when you used the word claim again later in the sentence, I naturally assumed you were still talking about claiming doc:
CarnCarn wrote:If fuzzylightning does claim doc... well, we see what happens then (I have a few ideas, but I don't want to really discuss them until fuzzylightning claims).
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #1059 (ISO) » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:57 am

Post by GIEFF »

Meaniehead liarface wrote:As for the other post I am promising, I will get to that this evening -
I promise.
CarnCarn
CarnCarn
Mafia Scum
CarnCarn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1060 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:03 am

Post by CarnCarn »

GIEFF wrote:
Meaniehead liarface wrote:As for the other post I am promising, I will get to that this evening -
I promise.
Ah, heh, well, promises are made to broken :lol:
I still only have pockets of time, but in the interest of keeping things moving, here goes:

OK, I'm going to start with my impressions of hambargarz. This may take multiple posts to complete.

First off, the things I've found scummy from his posts (this will be followed by any townie things I pick up, in later postage):

Why he's likely to be scum:

First off, hambargarz tag teamed with ClockworkRuse to get the wagon rolling on militant and pushed it hard from the beginning. I had forgotten most of the early stuff from Day 1, but it is pretty remarkable how deceptively ham and CR appear to be working together. This particular post stands out as an example:
hambargarz wrote:
ClockworkRuse wrote:Unvoting to make someone happy?
Backpedaling like that is a bit scummy looking.

GIEFF wrote:Because there was no reason for it in the first place? I fail to see how that is scummy - you guys attacking him actually looks scummier in my eyes.
This strikes me as very scummy. He's defending GIEFF which implies a scum buddy relationship. But moreso he is saying guy's attacking him look scummy, why do they look scummy? is it simply on the basis that they are attacking militant? why is militant the innocent one in your eyes considering his scummy behaviour?
FOS: GIEFF
This is regarding militant's unvote and why it was scummy, which was an argument that both hambargarz and CR supported from the start. With the perspective of CR as scum, this tag-team operation becomes much more apparent. Then, he throws out an attack on GIEFF for spotting the scumminess of his and CR's attacks, which is just OMGUS.

Next, hambargarz's FoS of CR for self-voting looks like clumsy attempt at bussing:
hambargarz wrote:self voting, to me at least, is generally an anti-town play.
There are some instances where it is good though (ie. gambiting).
At this point in the game, I see you're self vote as neither one or the other because it doesn't escalate much.

In my last game 2 people self voted. The context was much more significant than here however. (Though the behaviour was seen as anti-town rather than scummy).

Asking stuff like this strikes me as a bit scummy. You want the town's position on your behaviour? That only helps you if you're scum in my opinion.
FOS: ClockworkRuse
He admits that, from his past games, self voting wasn't scummy, but he manages to FoS CR for asking the town's position on self voting. After he gives his own opinion on it. If ham were really concerned about that information only helping scum, then why would he have given it? Could it be because *gasp* he's scum himself? hmm...

Next, part of a larger post that became a springboard for attacks on militant:
hambargarz wrote:
militant wrote:I am going to re read tomorrow, I am particularly interested in hambargarz.
Why are you interested in me particularly when you haven't found anything? Are you rereading with a particular preset bias to me? Why would I be more "interesting" than any other person here?

The only answers to these questions I can think of is OMGUS. Which is also a bit scummy
At the time, I thought ham made an interesting observation, but I wasn't reading closely enough, and obviously not with the knowledge of the dead players' alignments. To me, this appears to be ham's attempt to ward off a case on himself by portraying himself as an unjust victim of future attack. It really looks like ham is trying to keep suspicion off of him at all costs - he is discouraging militant (and, indirectly, other players) from going back and reading his posts again.

OK, that's really all I have time for this morning, and that's only up to ham's isopost15. I don't like breaking up posts like this, but it seems it's for the best. Hope to keep a flow of these posts coming. I may alternate between posting about you and hambargarz - I'll see what will make this easier to finish.
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #1061 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:00 am

Post by GIEFF »

Thanks, CarnCarn.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1062 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:04 pm

Post by hasdgfas »

ok guys, it's been long enough, you're deadlined.

Day ends
March 14th

I'm sending out a mass PM/prod to let everyone know
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal
jdodge1019: thus he is a cow
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #1063 (ISO) » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:47 pm

Post by GIEFF »

Great, thank you, hasdgfas.
hambargarz
hambargarz
Goon
hambargarz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1064 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:06 pm

Post by hambargarz »

Ok here's a summary of my thoughts for both players throughout the game

CC: Earlier in the game, CC was playing very much in the background. I remember 1 or 2 valid posts that were well put and valid but alot seemed to be filling space. I have brought this up before and my position here remains. CC did pick it up yesterday after some pushing from players and it's a similar situation today. I feel that CC probably is genuinely busy recently and was having trouble posting, but his earlier behaviour I don't feel this to be true. And have an active-lurkerish feel to them

GIEFF: has had pro-town play and seemed to be doing alot of active scum hunting. I did overall get alot of OMGUS vibes from him though.

Now..

If I consider yesterdays behaviour towards the end. CC's position against CR was quite firm as opposed to GIEFF who only voiced mild support. Add to this, GIEFF made a very wierd suggestion to lynch me over one of the 2 docs, a much more risky play. GIEFF's suggestion looks even more suspicious in hindsight as CR has flipped scum.

So it's a bit of a close one here. The plays by both players yesterday point me to vote GIEFF. But the past play of both players make CC suspicious.

I wonder if there are any dead townies are still following this game. I wonder if the scum is painfully obvious to them and I'm missing some obvious clue somewhere. Will do a careful reread.
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #1065 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:01 pm

Post by GIEFF »

ham is very obviously trying to play both ends. Either CC votes for me or I vote for CC and he wins, so he's trying to keep both those doors open.

And it's very funny that you are trying to say that I only voiced mild support of lynching FL, considering I voted him in lylo, and you yourself even said:
hambargarz wrote:I'm not against an FL lynch, if everyone wants to lynch him, thats fine with me (it ensures that at least 1 townie is on board with it). But I'm hesitant because we are at lylo and you (GIEFF) are a suspect in my books and want him lynched.
and
hambargarz wrote:So that leaves a GIEFF/FL scumpair
but it doesn't make sense given GIEFF's close lynching of CR.
And as I've said before, it was NOT risky. I didn't know if FL was scum, although I was pretty sure, and if we lynched you yesterday it would have been an automatic win. I didn't have the same benefit you did of knowing FL's role.

You painted yourself into a corner. You're trying to be as wishy-washy as possible, but even still, you've had to contradict your past statements, which reveals that they weren't what you really thought, they were just what you thought was best for hambargarz and the scum-team.
hambargarz
hambargarz
Goon
hambargarz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1066 (ISO) » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:26 pm

Post by hambargarz »

I don't think I was "as wishy-washy as possible". I did mention that I am poised to vote GIEFF over CC based on yesterday's play.

Majority of my points posted today and yesterday have been against GIEFF rather than CC anyway. I would think my position was quite clear. I simply mention that CC is suspicious too and suddenly I am wishy washy.

Post 1065 is an example of the "OMGUS vibes" I get from GIEFF. Any post that contains any points against him are met with "no you are scum" kind of posts. I think it's evident in all our interactions.
GIEFF wrote:And as I've said before, it was NOT risky. I didn't know if FL was scum, although I was pretty sure, and if we lynched you yesterday it would have been an automatic win. I didn't have the same benefit you did of knowing FL's role.
To say this, is to say GIEFF is pretty damn certain I'm scum. ie. More than 50% sure. Being so sure most certainly warrants a vote against me.

I should ask why hasn't GIEFF voted me yet having been so sure? I can only say it's because GIEFF is looking at a possible lynch on CC based on what I do. And here is some evidence to support that...

At the beginning of today there was back and forth between us.
One can see how GIEFF changed his tune around post 1048 when I started to post a point against CC. GIEFF then switches his attention from me to CC in the following posts 1049, 1050 and 1051. (why would he do this if he was so certain I'm scum). I then raise a point against GIEFF in 1064 and he switches back to me (and it's not the first time this kind of thing has happened)

------------
GIEFF wrote:I voted him in lylo
This is why i specifically mentioned "towards the end". There was a wagon on CR/FL towards the end of the day that GIEFF, comparatively, showed least support. GIEFF was also the only one NOT to vote CR/FL on the wagon that got him lynched.

GIEFF mentioned he technically voted for him in post 952. Keep in mind that GIEFF "as scum" knew CR/FL would be in little danger of being hammered having seen Amished and my posts. GIEFF also removed it fairly quickly and without reason (about 3hrs later) after CC appeared and voted. A pretty safe buss in my opinion that GIEFF can pull out of his sleeve at just a time like this...
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #1067 (ISO) » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:34 am

Post by GIEFF »

I haven't voted you yet because I am not 100% sure, and the more time we have, the better.
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #1068 (ISO) » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:55 am

Post by GIEFF »

ClockworkRuse wrote:Post 455, GIEFF you say you find my request for clarification scummy?
To be honest
, I misread what ham was saying about the scum pair. At first I thought he was saying that the scum pair was West and the person he replaced and I was really confused because I didn't read very carefully. Needless to say, I /facepalmed.

Post 456, You reference a game where Ham was scum, but did you take the time to look at a game where he was town as well? That could very well be his playing style in general.

Post 462, I believe this is the Xtoxm is asked. To this point, there has been a lot of back and forth betweeen GIEFF and ham. I don't really know how I feel about it, it looks like tunneling
to be honest.
"to be honest" is scum-speak for "I'm lying, so I'll say I'm being honest so it sounds more genuine."

I'm pissed off at the lack of activity.
hambargarz
hambargarz
Goon
hambargarz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1069 (ISO) » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:34 am

Post by hambargarz »

GIEFF wrote:"to be honest" is scum-speak for "I'm lying, so I'll say I'm being honest so it sounds more genuine."
I don't agree. It's a figure of speech that everyone uses. I'm sure you could find a counter example in this game from one of our confirmed townies.

If CC doesn't show up, I think we will be forced to lynch him.
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #1070 (ISO) » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:07 pm

Post by GIEFF »

hambargarz wrote:
GIEFF wrote:"to be honest" is scum-speak for "I'm lying, so I'll say I'm being honest so it sounds more genuine."
I don't agree. It's a figure of speech that everyone uses. I'm sure you could find a counter example in this game from one of our confirmed townies.
I found one. From Xtoxm. And that's it.

ham
: 2 uses of "to be honest" (once to explain why you weren't suspicious of xtoxm, and once to explain why you have been away from the thread)
CR
: 5 uses of "to be honest" One was to tell Dipstick there was enough in the game to form some time of suspicion. One was in answer to ham, explaining that CR hasn't been paying attention to inf. One was explaining why he voted for Xtoxm - that CR didn't blame me for being rude (which I later called out as buddying). One was in response to me, saying that CR misread what ham was saying about the scumpair. One was to say that the back-and-forth between me and ham looked like tunneling.

Amished
: 0 uses of "to be honest"
CarnCarn
: 0 uses
Elennaro
GIEFF
infamousace
insanepenguin
magicrabbit
: 1 use, but not to explain his own thoughts
militant
RealityFan
SilverPhoenix
urielzyx
Westbrook
Xtoxm
: 1 use, to assure me that he didn't remember if he had read the whole thread at the time he hammered.
hambargarz
hambargarz
Goon
hambargarz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1071 (ISO) » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:43 pm

Post by hambargarz »

lol
I don't know if you're actually being serious about this or just passing time.
I don't think this point holds much weight in my opinion. I would think CC would be of the same mind, though I can't speak for him.

Since theres nothing else going on, I'll entertain this point..
GIEFF wrote:I found one.
Well there you go. I did say "a" counter-example, "a" being singular. Because really that's all you need to break down the rule of "to be honest = scum speak".

Unless you are saying that the amount of times you use it is related to how scummy you are ? Then how about variations like, "I honestly think ..." or "Honestly, ..." etc.
To me they are the same thing. Unless you are saying no, that it's only that magic combination of exact words that means they are scum?
hambargarz
hambargarz
Goon
hambargarz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1072 (ISO) » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:50 pm

Post by hambargarz »

GIEFF wrote: "to be honest" is scum-speak for "I'm lying, so I'll say I'm being honest so it sounds more genuine."
GIEFF wrote:ham: 2 uses of "to be honest" (once to explain why you weren't suspicious of xtoxm, and once to explain why you have been away from the thread)
So are you are saying that me-scum was lying about being not being suspicous of Xtoxm? Why would me-scum BE suspicous of Xtoxm? (as me-scum would know for sure if Xtoxm was scum or not)
GIEFF
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
GIEFF
Internet Superstar
Internet Superstar

Post Post #1073 (ISO) » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:55 pm

Post by GIEFF »

Nope, "honestly" and "truly" work just as well.

I am being mildly serious. I wouldn't use it as the lynchpin of my case, but I've found it to hold pretty true over a lot of games. "To be honest" is not ALWAYS scum-speak. But it often is, usually more than half the time based on some research I did a while back.

And again, CR is CONFIRMED scum.

And saying that one example from ALL of the confirmed townies combined is enough to offset FIVE examples from the ONLY confirmed scum is deliberately missing the point.

-----------
hambargarz wrote:
GIEFF wrote: "to be honest" is scum-speak for "I'm lying, so I'll say I'm being honest so it sounds more genuine."
GIEFF wrote:ham: 2 uses of "to be honest" (once to explain why you weren't suspicious of xtoxm, and once to explain why you have been away from the thread)
So are you are saying that me-scum was lying about being not being suspicous of Xtoxm? Why would me-scum BE suspicous of Xtoxm? (as me-scum would know for sure if Xtoxm was scum or not)

Yes, you were lying. You couldn't explain WHY you didn't find Xtoxm scummy. Just about every other player in the game did, and you couldn't explain why you didn't. The real reason was that you KNEW he was town, but you couldn't very well say that, could you?

----
CC's last post was 3 and a half days ago. The deadline is in 3 and a half days.

NOT COOL, CARNCARN
hambargarz
hambargarz
Goon
hambargarz
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1074 (ISO) » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:06 pm

Post by hambargarz »

I got town vibes from Xtoxm from the reasons I stated, ie. he was concise, to the point. had solid opinions and posted without caring about pleasing everyone, being diplomatic or looking scummy. I was surprised so much people thought he was scum. Towards his lynch I was influenced by this and begun to doubt my own read on him however.

I can see a few examples of Amished using "honestly". I haven't looked in depth to find others, but I'm sure they would exist. Amished is confirmed townie no?

What I'm getting at with my posts is, you can't make general rules like that.

1) Scum tend to play the same as they would as town. Even if they differ by a small amount, I would think their manner of speaking would be the last thing to change.
2) I'm not sure how much research you have done, but using examples just from this game is too small a sample group to come to any conclusion like that.
3) Correlation Implies Causation

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”