Song Contest 139 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris
Pronoun: she

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:58 pm

Post by tris »

changed my vote!
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris
Pronoun: she

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:59 pm

Post by tris »

a lot of these i liked at similar levels.
VashtaNeurotic
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
VashtaNeurotic
He/Him
Bullet Trainer
Bullet Trainer
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:12 pm

Post by VashtaNeurotic »

Woot, very late but let's do some reviews:

Spoiler:
Portugal - Okay so I love Fall Out Boy, and I've heard this song a lot on my Pandora. It pretty damn solid and I love it, though not the best fall out boy song (might not even be the best from the album) so gonna give it a high good rating of 8.5/10

Uruguay - Very dreamlike and soft. Not completely my feel (I prefer my songs to have at least a little bite, whether that be in a pop sense or a rock sense) but like I can sort of appreciate it. Produces some good feelings so yeah. 6/10

Chad - Well...this is an interesting videro that has quite the set up. Strangely the middle kind of reminds me of the song stay by Alessia Cara, but with like...bite to it. It's pretty damn good, not transcendent and I'll happily listen to it again, but not quite the song I'll sing along to every single second. 8/10

Djibouti - Oh this is.... This is kind of beautiful. It's perfectly somber and lovely and yeah. Sometimes the cadence passes over the language barrier and this does exactly that. Like....damn. If I could fully understand it, probably would get a 10, but instead it gets a 9/10.

USA - Oh, I was liking this and then they started screaming at the start. And I can't really catch the lyrics clearly, and the choice of when to shout is...strange. Not good for me, but not terrible. 3/10

Czech Republic - This is...all right. Like legitimately good and a little haunting feel. It just lacks a sort of...all encompassing feel, I need it to be bigger. Wouldn't turn it off and can definitely see where I'd be in a mood to listen to it and well, horns are always a plus. It is also definitely trying for something cool which I appreciate. A solid 7.5/10 from me.

Costa Rica - Okay, the start sounds strangely distorted and that is taking me out of the moment. Beat in general is nice but like I'm not sure if it's something wrong with my headphones but it feels like it's happening on the other side of a pain of glass. Kind of meh cause of that. 6/10

Iceland - So my main criticism of this is it's actually a bit...generic. Like I've heard songs like this over and over again. There's no special part or anything. Like I like it, but like, try more band. Definitely around a 7. Could go 6.5 but like...that feels too low. Let's call it a 6.75/10

Comoros - When Ariana tries hard she can make songs that are both powerful and great to listen to...this is not one of those songs. It's quite forgettable and I'd contemplate turning it off if I heard it on the radio. i think it all balances out to about a 5/10 for me.

Hungary - Eh this song is sung with a bit too little oomph in both the guitar and vocals. Like I can definitely see how someone could be incredibly moved by the song it is well sung, just soft, but like...ehhhhh not exactly my thing. 6/10

North Korea - This song has no right to be as damn good as it actually is. I think the live version loses a bit of it tbh but not much. Like, it's based on a very very low humor, but like, it's delivered with such vigor and such a straight face that damn, it works. It's just sooooo fucking good. And ugh those trumpets are sooooo damn sexy, I can't even. Powerful vocals, catchy lyrics, great music in the background that isn't toooo repetitive. Yeah this one is actually a 10/10.

Alcatraz - Soooo great rendition of the phantom of the opera. One issue is that...the song just doesn't hit for me as it does for so many. Like something is just...not as it should be. This is purely a matter of my taste, damn good song. Solid 7/10

Israel - Okay let's see what Barry Manilow can do. Horns is already nice, the beat is killer (at least at the start). Damn, this is smooooth. Like woooah, I like this a lot. The lyrics aren't the strongest but I can handle it. 8/10

Germany - Gives me the same exact feel of the ariana song sooooo 5/10.

Poland - Honestly, I just sort of like this song. I couldn't quite figure out what wolf parade song i wanted to enter and this one gave me a good feel. I love the beat at the back of it and I actually think the singing actually complements it. It's not super powerful, and is definitely more of an "out of it" sort of song to listen to, but it's kind of beautiful for that and also I think just works if you like subtler music.

Turkey - fuck no, no no vocaloid. 2/10

Jamaica - oooh a late song with funk vibes. This is gonna be a fun time. And then the singer has to mumble over everything and not in the way I like. Sigh.... yeah it made the song a lot worse. 3/10

Venezuela - Nope. Not my thing. 3.5/10
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:53 pm

Post by Cyril »

ftr 90% of the appeal of my song is the lyrics
can agree the music isn't amazing
was considering sending We'll Always Have Paris but it has The Screams and y'all are wimps about those so
MiniDeathStar
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
MiniDeathStar
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:29 pm

Post by MiniDeathStar »

In post 113, Aristophanes wrote:I mean, well done sniping me but also like thanks for giving it a chance I guess?

I love the song or I wouldn't have submitted it obv, but ya Iunno I think you overreacted tbh :)

It's at least C worthy even to those it's not styled for.

Iunnk why I'm arguing taste here but apparently that's a thing XD
I used to work as a barmaid and I've since developed a deeply emotional and passionate relationship of intense abhorrence towards bar music.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:40 am

Post by Vi »

Added review of Comoros to my post because ~whimsy~.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:52 am

Post by vizIIsto »

Looking to incorporate more game music into my submissions. Probably will try out a game-song-game-song pattern for the next few contests to see how much good video game music there really is. Expect more game music from me.
Currently away from site for indeterminate time (except for Song Contest)
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:00 am

Post by vizIIsto »

Actually, maybe I shouldn't do that much video game music since it's not usually top notch. I think I'm going to stick to picking a video game song and a real song for every contest, then enter either of those two songs as my entry and share the other one in thread.
Video game music is underrated. Radio stations should start playing instrumental songs once every so often.
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:02 am

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 129, MiniDeathStar wrote:
In post 113, Aristophanes wrote:I mean, well done sniping me but also like thanks for giving it a chance I guess?

I love the song or I wouldn't have submitted it obv, but ya Iunno I think you overreacted tbh :)

It's at least C worthy even to those it's not styled for.

Iunnk why I'm arguing taste here but apparently that's a thing XD
I used to work as a barmaid and I've since developed a deeply emotional and passionate relationship of intense abhorrence towards bar music.
You know, if they automate the drink serving industry we'll have genuine Iron Maidens! :O

Yeah that makes sense. I used to have the same "easy listening" radio on at work, for years, and they played the same songs every hour or so. I still danced down the aisles though! Like literally every time Shake It Off came on XD

Different strokes tho, I get it.

In post 130, Vi wrote:Added review of Comoros to my post because ~whimsy~.
Yayaya I enjoy reading reviews of all the songs! :)
Not too scathing either! And if I am considered hip" in any way then maybe? XD
In post 131, vizIIsto wrote:Looking to incorporate more game music into my submissions. Probably will try out a game-song-game-song pattern for the next few contests to see how much good video game music there really is. Expect more game music from me.
Ooooo that's a great idea! There is some famtastic video game music out there! Have you listened to any orchestral covers? There are full live concerts of them and it brings a whole new perspective to the music! :)
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:03 am

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 132, vizIIsto wrote:Actually, maybe I shouldn't do that much video game music since it's not usually top notch. I think I'm going to stick to picking a video game song and a real song for every contest, then enter either of those two songs as my entry and share the other one in thread.
Video game music is underrated. Radio stations should start playing instrumental songs once every so often.
You almost lost me in the first half.

Good save tho XD
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:18 am

Post by Vi »

One of my four entries so far has been video game music, so I'm familiar with your thought process. If you're going to do it, it needs to be REALLY good. Like good enough to impress a crowd of people who pointedly
do not
listen to video game music in their off time. I do think that instrumental songs will have a hard time in this contest
although judging from the large number of comments about the Manilow entry where they thought the intro was the best part, maybe not

(That said, I -am- one of those people who listens to video game music in my off time, and I have at least three more video game songs that would be decent contenders. I'll steadily submit those because I think they're the strongest entries I have.)

Also posting the Chad review because Formerfish said I could a few contests ago.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:57 am

Post by Formerfish »

In post 135, Vi wrote:Also posting the Chad review because Formerfish said I could a few contests ago
No worries, like I said, I agree with you about the line, it just doesn't affect my overall liking of it as much.

It's cool.
Show
"Getting lost in the details of nothing..."

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
vizIIsto
vizIIsto
Townie
vizIIsto
Townie
Townie

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:13 am

Post by vizIIsto »

Since it's been 30 years since the fall of the Berlin Wall, I'd like to share this song which I would usually never enter in the contest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAR6XKHfXY0

If you spoke Dutch, you would immediately understand why the lyrics are so memorable and powerful to this day even in the Netherlands. It's a great song lyrics-wise, but it won't impress most of you since the song is kinda boring and old too. At least, I think so.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:25 am

Post by Vi »

In post 136, Formerfish wrote:
In post 135, Vi wrote:Also posting the Chad review because Formerfish said I could a few contests ago
No worries, like I said, I agree with you about the line, it just doesn't affect my overall liking of it as much.

It's cool.
I know; I remembered you said I could post whatever about your entries, but I only knew which one was yours after you posted your reviews. Again, I don't want to dump on peoples' entries without either giving them points or having their permission.

(I don't think that line was worth negative points for me fwiw.)
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:28 am

Post by Formerfish »

I'll stick as Chad, it's short and easy to spell.
Show

"FF, you're a dick, but you don't hit below the belt. So you're a dick about finding scum, not hurting the people who are playing the game. That's acceptable dickary." MaryJoLisa

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:59 am

Post by Plotinus »

I like instrumental songs best because they don't get in my way when I'm trying to read or do math or think. I like songs with words too, but I can't multitask with them on, so for me to get stuck on a song with words it has to fill a very specific need.
In post 137, vizIIsto wrote:Since it's been 30 years since the fall of the Berlin Wall, I'd like to share this song which I would usually never enter in the contest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAR6XKHfXY0

If you spoke Dutch, you would immediately understand why the lyrics are so memorable and powerful to this day even in the Netherlands. It's a great song lyrics-wise, but it won't impress most of you since the song is kinda boring and old too. At least, I think so.
I like this dutch song and would give it points.
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:02 am

Post by Cyril »

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrabble
zeebu
zeebu
Goon
zeebu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:32 am

Post by zeebu »

rabble: the sequel
Dr Easy Bake
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:52 am

Post by Dr Easy Bake »

Rabble: The Search For A Winner

-Bro
Formerfish
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Formerfish
Busboy Revolutionary
Busboy Revolutionary

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:27 pm

Post by Formerfish »

Rabble 3- The Return.
Show

Need advice? Ask a Fish.
Dr Easy Bake
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:58 pm

Post by Dr Easy Bake »

Rabble: Reloaded
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:22 pm

Post by Vi »

Rabble V: The Final Frontier

(if y'all are in the market for a new host, etc.)
zeebu
zeebu
Goon
zeebu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:52 pm

Post by zeebu »

In post 146, Vi wrote:Rabble V: The Final Frontier

(if y'all are in the market for a new host, etc.)
It’s safer for everyone if you never reference the worst Star Trek thing ever.
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:35 pm

Post by Song Contest »

Sorry, thought I would be able to do this today but it’s looking less likely. I will aim for tomorrow.
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:35 pm

Post by Amrun »

Rabble: The Road to Rabble
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.