Song Contest 150 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Mon May 18, 2020 5:57 pm

Post by PJ. »

sounds like you have cheap speakers
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Mon May 18, 2020 6:28 pm

Post by Scigatt »

Yup

They do fine for music listening most of the time when I can use them.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Tue May 19, 2020 12:17 am

Post by Vi »

I have cheap headphones but MSI lets me change the EQ to "Powerful" so things don't sound like they're from the next room over. It does cause problems sometimes with entries that have simultaneous loud noises but usually I notice.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Tue May 19, 2020 1:31 pm

Post by Xtoxm »

listened to every song at least once
theres 8 songs that are clearly worth points, and im pretty sure i know my 12
i'll figure the exact votes tomorrow
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Tue May 19, 2020 5:15 pm

Post by Cyril »

pretty sure Lana Del Rey ripped off that Aurora song on her last album because every time I try to remember what it sounds like Cinnamon Girl plays in my head instead
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Tue May 19, 2020 8:36 pm

Post by schadd_ »

Spoiler:
germany: the vocalist is arranging a sequence of Music Words here. 3.1

thailand: i like the postmodern jukebox. the recontextualization is normally fun though it can feel a little boilerplatey. the clickety clack solo was fun here. 3.7

singapore: pretty nice. good moment in the middle where theres a modulation and also suddenly the bass is pulling its weight better. occasional interestingness from the vocalist. 3.5

canada: i dont really like either vocalist individually but they are surely nice in harnony. nothing else is really able to shine. 3.3

iceland: a little bit of good stuff in this. 3.5

asgardia: walked by a foul garbage smell as i started listening to this which was a tellingly coherent multi-sensory experience. 2.5

argentina: quite fun orchestration. i like that the vocalist is balanced like a pop song but still isnt entirely the focal point. theres also a funny autotune-sounding vocal style. greatly liked the two times we got this thick drum section for like 7 seconds. 3.9

liechtenstein: hip hop (and especially trap) that exists in this sanitary movie space is unavoidably very uncanny to me. 3.0

egypt: sorry about the five guys job bro. saying "procrastinating" with a hard -ng is among a list of vibe dampeners here. good arrangement in the chorus. 3.6

cootie doovie: this is like that one epically viral electro swing song. 3.4

denmark: e 2.8

djibouti: e 2.3

russia: i believe i heard: america. vodka. louboutin. spongebob. 3.3

spain: builds a nice environment but is really only able to pull me into it at the fun transitional moments. 3.6
Last edited by schadd_ on Thu May 21, 2020 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: mith

Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2020 7:33 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Spoiler: NSFH
12 - germany: i was in a pretty bad mood and this song made me feel better. this is the song ive come back to listen to the most, so figures it deserves the 12.
10 - argentina: i think i enjoy the video of the guy prancing around like an idiot more than the song. either way ive been entertained.
8 - guyana: i go back and forth on this one. sometimes im really into it, sometimes it does little for me. she doesnt look real.
7 - thailand: i like what they did here, and the song they cover specifically is good too. the tap dancing really makes this, its mesmerizing. i tried some of their other tracks but they fell flat. this one i like, though.

6 - usa
5 - spain: seemed kinda dull at first but i let it play while i multitasked and its nb. did i hear a pipe organ around 3:50? i have a soft spot for those.
4 - greece
3 - djibouti: love a good death growl

2 - russia: i cant tell if this is meant to be a meme song. it sounds like it is, but im not sure with the language barrier.
1 - singapore: she seems to start shouting towards the end, which ruins the song a bit, or this would be higher.

CAF: i really dislike the guys vocals and it detracts from the whole song. i like everything else.
armenia: its like shes intentionally singing in a non smooth way and it causes me great anxiety.

asgradia: i have been listening to these guys a lot lately. they sing about the historical past and future of scotland, and the band has an associated wiki page for their lore, the Dundaxian Codex. i love their commitment to the meme. hootsforce is probably their best song, but i had a promise to fulfill.
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2020 7:54 am

Post by Vi »

Spoiler: for Xtoxm
In post 131, Xtoxm wrote:
[Thailand]
i tried some of their other tracks but they fell flat.
yes
many of them seem targeted for people who are really into the style and won't grab you if you're not already into vintage lounge singing or w/e

I listed the three strongest others IMO in my NSFH review post.
[Russia]
i cant tell if this is meant to be a meme song.
sort of yes
the translated lyrics are elsewhere and it sort of resembles a friendship song that's slightly bitter about the whole Alaska thing
it's apparently somewhat well-known in Russia
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
T-Bone
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
T-Bone
He/Him
A Cut Above
A Cut Above
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2020 9:38 am

Post by T-Bone »

In post 97, Vi wrote:I've finished my first pass. I don't really have an adjective for this contest. I didn't hate anything, but 80% of the entries fit into "eh" or "neh".

I certainly didn't feel pandered to. Gabon why aren't you walking up and taking my 12 >:[
I apparently never hit submit on the form :(

(or more likely the Song Contest Mod is CONSPIRING to deprive you (and Xtoxm) of your automatic 12)
My Top 40 Alt Songs of the Year!

"Playing in a Newbie game doesn't count" ~ PenguinPower, Feb 2019
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2020 9:52 am

Post by Vi »

In post 133, T-Bone wrote:
In post 97, Vi wrote:I've finished my first pass. I don't really have an adjective for this contest. I didn't hate anything, but 80% of the entries fit into "eh" or "neh".

I certainly didn't feel pandered to. Gabon why aren't you walking up and taking my 12 >:[
I apparently never hit submit on the form :(

(or more likely the Song Contest Mod is CONSPIRING to deprive you (and Xtoxm) of your automatic 12)
It's not too late to vote even if you're not in the contest~

(This contest has skewed positive IMO, so it wouldn't be a terrible use of your time. 25 entries though)
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2020 10:04 am

Post by toolenduso »

Spoiler: Feel like going insane, got a fire in your brain, and you're thinking of drinking gasoline
Egypt - Samm Henshaw - Broke: This is making inroads into my brain fast. A working N64? Horns announced by someone in the background shouting "horns?" Record scratchiness in the background? Hell yeah. Pretty good singer, too, though I wish they'd chill on the editing and let his natural voice shine through more. This is cool, man, I like this. GOOD.
Central African Republic - The Hoosiers - A Sadness Runs Through Him: The band name led me to expect some country-ass shit, something the midwestern working class would flock to. But I must remember that it was Gary that gave us the Jackson Five. What I'm saying is, I'm pleasantly surprised. The aesthetics are interesting, especially the understated percussion and the vocals. Quite nice, this will get high points for sure. GOOD.
Iceland - The Hirsch Effekt - Agitation: Ah hey, it's that one band Cyril loved from a while ago that I thought was just ok. That said, by the time I'm done listening to it it will probably be my favorite in the contest so far, since I haven't been all that into the contest so far. OK, cool instrumental section starting around 1:10. Oooh some nasty bass. Half-step key change, nice. Yeah, I like it. GOOD.
Sudan - 12RODS - Red: This has that 90s aesthetic I really like, though the mix job is wanting. Singing is good. Drumming is enjoyable. It's cool. DECENT.
Argentina - Ajay Gogavale & Atul Gogavale - Yaad Lagla (I've Gone Insane): Bollywood song? Sure. It's surprisingly classical. I like it. Mixes eastern and western musical styles in a natural-sounding way. Ooh I like those odd rhythms around 2:45. This is kinda cool, I shall give it points. DECENT.
Djibouti - Slaughter To Prevail - Demolisher: They go hohrd. Basically, as I listen to this, I am aware that it's nothing all that special or unique, but it
is
the very specific cross-section of metal and -core that I enjoy. So I'm kinda digging this. Ooh, nice breakdown. OK, yeah, not bad. Not bad at all. DECENT.
Liechtenstein - Blackway - What's Up Danger: Mmmmmmm I need that! I need that sloppy! Like a Chevy in quick sand! Actually it's not that sloppy. But it's cool. Reminded me a bit of a Pusha T beat at the start, but then it changed. I'm disappointed by the chorus, it's pretty standard soundtrack rap fare. But the rapping is enjoyable. Anyway, this is aight. DECENT.
Thailand - Postmodern Jukebox - Bad Romance (ft. Ariana Savalas & Sarah Reich): I've heard some PmJb stuff before, it's enjoyable. Glad to have it here. It's fun. This one makes a lot of sense, too, the sound of this song fits well in the swing genre. I certainly like it more than the first song. That said, it's more of a fun gimmick than a great song. Love that they put a tap dancer in it though! DECENT.
Asgardia - Gloryhammer - The Siege of Dunkeld: I have such low expectations for every Asgardia entry now. Let's see what's inside this box...well, it's better than the last two, which were the metal equivalent of early 2000s slapstick comedy. This reminds of me of, like, Symphony X. Which is to say, it's tolerable and kind of fun. If I were to give points right now without listening to the rest of the contest it would be near the top. DECENT.
New Zealand - AURORA - Winter Bird: Too much chorus, too much editing. I like some of the minor stuff going on, but this is striking me as a facsimile of Farao, borrowing less from her than from Of Monsters and Men. Could get low points. DECENT.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Tammy
Tammy
Survivor
Tammy
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2020 8:07 pm

Post by Tammy »

Thought Germany getting my 12 was a gimme but then I just listened to New Zealand whatdo whatdo.

(Vi - not a fascist song in the promoting fascism type of way but an exploration of the type of mindset those who are manipulated by those beliefs:)
I am in the top 90% of scumhunters onsite!
Tatsuya Kaname
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Tatsuya Kaname
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Wed May 20, 2020 11:49 pm

Post by Tatsuya Kaname »

Why haven't I discovered this since I started mafiascum LOL.

Maybe I'll join next time but I'll try listening to the entries.
Embark the journey to life-changing fortune in Para{dice} Trinity: The Quest for Spirits' Fortune, a luck-based casual arcade Mish Mash game by Tatsuya Kaname!

Yes. Making too many hoods is moderator suicide. -Enter
I want to shoot this post in the face with a flamethrower. - zakk
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2020 12:49 am

Post by PJ. »

This got really bad timed for me, my b guys.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2020 1:33 am

Post by Vi »

In post 137, Tatsuya Kaname wrote:Why haven't I discovered this since I started mafiascum LOL.

Maybe I'll join next time but I'll try listening to the entries.
Your timing is a little less than exquisite...
The next contest is not open to first-time entrants.

These "best of the best" contests occur maybe once a year; you happened to drop in a few days before one enters registration.

With that said, even if you haven't entered a contest, you can still vote on the entries - even for the contest going on right now! (Although this contest will end in about 30-36 hours.)
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2020 3:35 am

Post by Song Contest »

Reminder: Votes are due at the end of today!
Song Contest
Song Contest
Townie
Song Contest
Townie
Townie

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2020 3:37 am

Post by Song Contest »

In post 139, Vi wrote:The next contest is not open to first-time entrants.
This is correct, apologies TK. After BOTB we'll go back to our regular contests and then fire away.
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2020 4:30 am

Post by PranaDevil »

Just out of interest... the BOTB ones. Could it not be set so current entrants get priority, and new entrants get randomly allowed in until we hit the maximum amount?

Only thinking it doesn't seem worth preventing new entrants if they still follow the BOTB rules. Obviously previous entrants get priority, including priority over artist selection, but it seems a shame to potentially exclude someone who may help fill out the numbers.
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2020 5:04 am

Post by Vi »

In post 142, PranaDevil wrote:Just out of interest... the BOTB ones. Could it not be set so current entrants get priority, and new entrants get randomly allowed in until we hit the maximum amount?

Only thinking it doesn't seem worth preventing new entrants if they still follow the BOTB rules. Obviously previous entrants get priority, including priority over artist selection, but it seems a shame to potentially exclude someone who may help fill out the numbers.
One thing to consider is that there are 25 entrants in this round and I can think of four more common contestants offhand who are sitting this one out, compared to a cap of 26 entries. I suspect for something as ~special~ as BotB, there's a solid chance there will be cuts even without allowing new entrants.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2020 5:07 am

Post by Cyril »

i thought BotB rules were no cuts no matter what, because it's a special contest
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2020 5:16 am

Post by PJ. »

Def no cuts
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2020 5:42 am

Post by PranaDevil »

Ahh, the no cuts would be the issue then, we don't want 30 entries lol
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2020 5:54 am

Post by Vi »

I'm really tired of being demonstrably, provably wrong ._.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2020 12:15 pm

Post by Cyril »

this is like the first time in years there's even been a risk of hitting the contest entrant limit tbh
Natirasha
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Natirasha
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Thu May 21, 2020 12:39 pm

Post by Natirasha »

covid really revitalized MS
Natirasha is just a vestige, it's Contessa now.

Return to “General Discussion”