Mini 518: Underground Mafia, The Nightmare is Over!

Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1300 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:52 am

Post by Jitsu »

Mr. Flay wrote:Don't stop! I look forward to playing/modding with you again.
Thank you; I feel the same. I think I'll take a little time off to recharge and process what I've learned from this game, read some other games, and then probably jump into another game.
Mr. Flay wrote:The only thing I would say, is don't change your style based on the role you're given (especially after saying that out loud here). Doctors who lurk (which they think is a good strategy for staying alive) draw fire and suspicion; see Gunslinger. Cops can fairly easily telegraph that they're investigators, but if other townies are doing a good job, they'll blend in. And you'll be amazed how much there is to 'fake analyze' as Scum... :twisted:
You and AA have good points. I don't think I could ever really play the part of lurker or unhelpful townie, as it's just not me. I doubt I could shut up or resist analyzing something for that long, real or fake. :lol:
Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1301 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:53 am

Post by Jitsu »

curiouskarmadog wrote:it wasnt an insult
No worries, no offense taken.
Mexal
Mexal
Goon
Mexal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1302 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:18 am

Post by Mexal »

Wow it's over. I'll be honest. I'm really glad I was killed N1. I don't think I could have handled the month and half day 3. Way too long for me when I'm near a comp 10+ hours a day.

As for play, Jitsu was great. I absolutely detest Adel's play style and I'm glad I was able to help put suspicion on CKD which kept him alive (this was not a plan).

I will say that if Setael was lynched day 1 like she should have been, the game would have been over in 3 game days. Korlash would have been next followed by Jerub just based on their reactions to lynching Setael.

All in all, good game guys.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #1303 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:11 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

In retrospect, I/we were probably right about Anata112 dropping this game (where she was scum) for that Newbie game (where she was a Townie). I underestimated the power of that meta-analysis, and that's where I feel I went worst astray here; that, and sometimes not being able to post as often as I would have liked.
Retired as of October 2014.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #1304 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:14 am

Post by curiouskarmadog »

I just cant see why anyone would walk away from a mafia role..lesson learned

Mex, I think this game would have been totally different if you would have survived through N1.
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
Mexal
Mexal
Goon
Mexal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1305 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:23 am

Post by Mexal »

curiouskarmadog wrote:I just cant see why anyone would walk away from a mafia role..lesson learned

Mex, I think this game would have been totally different if you would have survived through N1.
Good or bad different?
Setael
Setael
Mafia Scum
Setael
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1306 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:24 am

Post by Setael »

I'd like to hope I would be as good an analyzer as jitsu or mexal if I was only in one game at a time and near a computer 10+ hours a day.
Mexal
Mexal
Goon
Mexal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1307 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:26 am

Post by Mexal »

curiouskarmadog wrote:I just cant see why anyone would walk away from a mafia role..lesson learned

Oh, she walked away cause of the pressure. When you got someone like Jitsu or I breathing down her neck, it's really really hard to get out of it if you're inexperienced. She prob figured it was easier to leave then try to wiggle out.
Mexal
Mexal
Goon
Mexal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1308 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:27 am

Post by Mexal »

Setael wrote:I'd like to hope I would be as good an analyzer as jitsu or mexal if I was only in one game at a time and near a computer 10+ hours a day.
It helps that you have 35 or more games of experience too :)

And I'm currently in 3 games and modding 1, just on different sites :)
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #1309 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:28 am

Post by Adel »

Mexal wrote:I absolutely detest Adel's play style
Do you mind if I sig you on that?
Mexal
Mexal
Goon
Mexal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1310 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:29 am

Post by Mexal »

Adel wrote:
Mexal wrote:I absolutely detest Adel's play style
Do you mind if I sig you on that?
Not at all.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #1311 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:30 am

Post by Adel »

cool, thanks.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #1312 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:52 pm

Post by curiouskarmadog »

Mexal wrote:

Good or bad different?
hard to tell...I am sure you and I would have been bumping heads Day 2 (mostly over mitzef I think)...I think the reason I didnt look at Set (anata) that much was because I couldnt believe someone bailing on a role like that because of "pressure"....at any rate, you were right I was wrong on that account.

note to self: if ever I have the misfortune of being in a game with Anata again.."pressure" the crap out of her.
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
GunslingerKB
GunslingerKB
Townie
GunslingerKB
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1313 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:31 pm

Post by GunslingerKB »

I didn't set off with the strategy to lurk...at all. But once I saw I couldn't argue worth a crap yet, i just tried to be quiet. Then I realized that that wouldn't work either, and hence resigned and saved Jitsu with the logic that everyone probably figured that he was town and the mafia would target.

Like jitsu, this was my first game. Unlike Jitsu, I did maybe half of a read through. I actually even unqued myself from the normal mini and swithced to newb, but then NabNab sent the message anyway.

Im gonna give Mafia a few more tries, but right now, Normal mini is rough...
-The Gunslinger-
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #1314 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:36 pm

Post by Adel »

At least you continued following the game. Hopefully you'll be ready to try another after you get more comfortable with mafia from the newbie games.
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #1315 (ISO) » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:11 pm

Post by Korlash »

Adel wrote:Pretty much every time I draw the nk as a vanilla townie (when there are extant powerroles) I consider it to be a personal win.
Well i consider anytime I get to NK you to be a personal win for me! XD

Hey... that means we can both be winners... (And losers) at the same time! lolz...

Seriously though... Hope we can be friends after all this... >.> Hey friend.. can I borrow 5 bucks?
It's not my job to be right, it's my job to be convincing.

Star Trek Voyager Mafia! Ends in a Starfleet victory! Pomp, Circumstance, and Bloodwine for all!
Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1316 (ISO) » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:29 am

Post by Jitsu »

Setael wrote:I'd like to hope I would be as good an analyzer as jitsu or mexal if I was only in one game at a time and near a computer 10+ hours a day.
I'm guessing you meant that as a compliment and not sarcasm. Assuming that's true, thank you.

Naturally it is easier to analyze if you have more time, though if you have too much, there is a tendency to overanalyze, which isn't good either. Also, I have a lot of practice, as I'm a computer programmer/software engineer. Logical analysis is a big part of my job. Mafia is a bit more "fuzzy logic", but the main principles still apply, I think.

Part of the reason I did the post-game analysis was to review how I approached the game and how well it worked. When experienced players play this game, they can use their experience and intuition to help, but I think in most cases, they are not playing purely on intuition (even though they might think that). Instead, what they have done is trained themselves to analyze the game more efficiently in light of their experience. Since I have no experience, I either had to wing it, or analyze everything this game in painful detail. I chose the latter. Given that, I simply don't have the time (or energy) to be able to do that for several games at once. I am still amazed by the people that can play many games at once
well
. I'm definitely not at that point yet.

Actually, I think you are probably a better analyzer than you think. I thought your performance on the last day of Mini 486 was quite impressive. Your clutch analysis on Shanba right before the deadline got him lynched and won the game for the town. I didn't have a performance quite like that in this game, but I'd like to think that all my analyzing in this game did do some good.

Another question: Did you really find that contradiction yourself that you mentioned in your vote on Korlash?
Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1317 (ISO) » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:32 am

Post by Jitsu »

GunslingerKB wrote:Then I realized that that wouldn't work either, and hence resigned and saved Jitsu with the logic that everyone probably figured that he was town and the mafia would target.
Well, you may have made some mistakes this game, but nobody can argue that your logic on the night 2 protect was correct. I certainly won't. :)

At the very least, you saved a townie from death. That's still got to feel good. :)
Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1318 (ISO) » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:22 am

Post by Jitsu »

Mexal wrote:

Oh, she walked away cause of the pressure. When you got someone like Jitsu or I breathing down her neck, it's really really hard to get out of it if you're inexperienced. She prob figured it was easier to leave then try to wiggle out.
It's true. Both in real life and in Mafia, people can do some surprising things when they are backed into a corner with little chance of escape. If you've ever seen a cornerned animal, you know what I mean. But after getting burned by this a few times, I think people learn how to cope with this.

If you've got a good analyzer after you, it's even worse, because they're not just going to be content to sit around and watch your squirm. They're already analyzing your approach, trying to predict what you will do, and maneuvering to cut off your escape routes. And if you give crappy answers to the analyzer, it only reinforces their belief that you have something to hide and digs you a deeper hole. If you're not prepared for that, it can get really ugly.

Think about the situation Anata was in. When I attacked her and voted, Mexal and Jerub followed soon after and even Korlash stated he wanted to hear her defense. Having Mexal and I breathing down her neck was bad enough, but her two scumbuddies abandoned her too, letting her fend for herself. I'd have to be pretty frustrated in that situation myself as a newbie scum. I've seen people get frustrated enough in situations like that, that they even posted their role PMs just to prove the attacker wrong (only to get themself Modkilled).

You may think that the obvious strategy then would be to grab someone, throw them into the corner and attack them until they crack. But if you continue to do this without just cause, the rest of the town will think you are an aggressive bully, and might lynch you. So I think it is a fine line to walk.

I think this really underscores why it's necessary to have a good defense. If Anata had actually tried to respond to my points (even if she just played the newbie card), I probably would have let up on her. But she didn't -- she evaded my points and tried to turn the tables on me with a weak argument. By that point, I sensed I was in a superior position and I smelled blood. I wasn't even looking for a great defense; I was looking for *a* defense.

So when she tried to change the subject and turn my argument back on me with a waek argument, I went for the jugular. I just couldn't she why she would have done that if she were innocent. My original case on her may or may not have been built on actual scummy behavior, but her reaction to it was very telling to me.

In a way though, I'd feel bad if I were the reason why she abandoned this game.

@Mod: Did Anata112 say anything to you about why she left?
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1319 (ISO) » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:02 pm

Post by Oman »

Wait? Shit, did I win?

I missed the last day :(
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1320 (ISO) » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:29 pm

Post by Oman »

I picked it N3 CKD, though I couldn't say anything grr.

Anyway, I felt pretty bad about that game, I had Jer for all the wrong reasons, sorry Adel, I guess you just played really damn well.

That last nights protect was going to be interesting for me, because I realised CKD would not have been the target, but I was likely to. So I dropped the hammer trying to seem as scummy as possible, knowing I had tghe claim up my sleeve.
Jitsu
Jitsu
Goon
Jitsu
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1321 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:29 am

Post by Jitsu »

Oman wrote:Wait? Shit, did I win?
Yes. You are teh winnar. :)

Oman wrote:I picked it N3 CKD, though I couldn't say anything grr.

That last nights protect was going to be interesting for me, because I realised CKD would not have been the target, but I was likely to. So I dropped the hammer trying to seem as scummy as possible, knowing I had tghe claim up my sleeve.
Tell me about it. I was desperately wanting to analyze the possible power roles that were out there and who they could be on D3, but I knew I couldn't talk about it.

Your hammer on D4 actually didn't look scummy at all, as the two cop claims already gave us the identity of the last two scum. It didn't matter who the mafia chose to NK on N4. The game was pretty much won at that point, as long as we followed the right strategy. Neither you nor CKD were needed after the two cop claims, but that's okay -- both of you had already done what you needed to do.

In addition, you had CKD protected on the crucial N3. If the mafia had targeted CKD, we probably would still have won. It was that guilty that CKD got on Jerubbaal that we needed to put the game away.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1322 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:33 am

Post by Oman »

I wasn't going to protect, the original PM said "NONE" Because I decided if CKD dided we'd know one of the scum, and if anyone esle died, there was me, CKD, and Jitsu that I knew were innocent.

Plus after CKD said "Doc protected me N2" I wanted to see if the mafia would no-kill and who would claim the protection.
NabakovNabakov
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
NabakovNabakov
LalitaLalita
LalitaLalita

Post Post #1323 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:10 am

Post by NabakovNabakov »

Jitsu wrote: @Mod: Did Anata112 say anything to you about why she left?
I don't think I have the official PM anymore, but it was definitely having to do with pressure. Not exactly "They know I'm scum! I better bail out." more, "12 player games are intense, I just can't keep up."
Show
"Shut up!" one woman shouted at another.

"You shut up!" the second woman shouted back.

"I agree with NN"
-Yosarian2
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #1324 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:19 pm

Post by Oman »

Adel, I'm sorry I took your fantastic scumhunting as scummy, but Jesus, you were too good to be true.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”