greenknight
greenknight
Goon
greenknight
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1475 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:58 am

Post by greenknight »

Iceninja you didn't trust your own investigate on Klick as 100% reliable, why would you have trusted it on thor?
StefanB
StefanB
Mafia Scum
StefanB
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1476 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:11 am

Post by StefanB »

Swords:
No need to be sorry, if I played my role right and was not completly blinded by scum, I had to die early.
And I don't know if it would have chanced much.
After the JOAT with a daycop (posible in a bastard game), got a vigkill (that was stretching thinks) became a multiple daycop, Klick was the lynch.
And your nightaction was a good one.

Besides Kortul (and Thor who had bad luck) there was the difficulty which scum to lynch first in this game.

Actually Marcone as town made more sense than Murphyscum. (When is Marcone really a villain in the first 3 books)

The game was fun, thanks MoI.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #1477 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:31 am

Post by Tierce »

In post 1476, StefanB wrote:Actually Marcone as town made more sense than Murphyscum. (When is Marcone really a villain in the first 3 books)
Marcone is probably one of the most honorable guys in the series, and that's saying a lot. (Well, other than the obvious ones.) He's a "bad guy" by the standards of society, but in the Dresdenverse, he is rather tame because he has such a solid core of ethics that he does not break.

Karrin as scum... well, she does work
despite
the police force at times, but it's still a bit of a stretch to see her working willingly with Hendricks and Denton. With that said, it's not unexpected to see a protagonist as a scum role, and the puppyhalves thought Dresden was a likely fakeclaim until sword claimed--he had been playing so pro-Town until then (and was cleared already) that it seemed pretty absurd to call him scum.

(We still cannot forgive you for 'vesty', though, s_o_o.)
ICEninja
ICEninja
Mafia Scum
ICEninja
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1478 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:35 am

Post by ICEninja »

Someone with no avatar so I have no idea what his name is wrote:
Iceninja you didn't trust your own investigate on Klick as 100% reliable, why would you have trusted it on thor?

Because Thor was a reasonable sounding player, and Klick claimed Georgia as day cop night vig. I doubted my investigate because I didn't believe the results could have possibly been accurate. Had Klick came back guilty I would have believed them 100% blindly.

And I agree 100% that Marcone being the role he is actually makes plenty of sense. Marcone is, very quite literally, mafia, but he's also honorable and his reign as mafia king has noticeably reduced crime in Chicago because it can only happen with his say-so. Murphy being scum is just disgusting though, as it just absolutely flips who she is upside down.

The only thing I don't like about Marcone being town is that Hendricks is still scum. As Marcone's personal bodyguard, I don't really like them being the same alignment. I'm not sure who else MoI could have used for redscum in his place, though. I would have much preferred to see Rudolph as a corrupt cop.
Town: 14 wins, 14 losses
Scum: 3 wins, 2 losses
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #1479 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:59 am

Post by Tierce »

Where was my lovely Nightmare. :(

If the "Scared to death" flavor started coming up, jason would be my first suspect, because I would associate Lindquist and Kravos/the Nightmare. Dead serious--it would be the best flavor match given everyone's claims. And no, I wouldn't consider him a likely SK--we knew
we
were the potential SK, if there was one in the game, though I obviously played it down in the thread; also, frankly I don't think jason could have come up with the role and the interaction with ICEninja, so the claim of his ability was true, at least. I would have thought it would be a blue scum kill flavor (oops?), and would have turned on jason. The second possibility for that flavor, imo, would have been Bob, so hey, dead traitors either way~

(Actually, when Vi told me about the SK speculation, I regretted it for a couple of days, as I think it was coloring my view of the game and behavior in it. Then I just went back to
troll game --> lynch scum
mode ^_^;)
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1480 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:16 am

Post by Thor665 »

@MoI - I didn't feel the need to get a mod created fakeclaim. My rolePM already gave me a fakename, and that fakename was going to work well with a Watcher claim (which is what I would have claimed) and the werewolf confusion with Klick's claim, I think, would have tossed some decent wifom into everything as I could have played on ICE's paranoia about that werewolf killing FBI guy and suggest that what Klick was actually was said werewolf FBI guy and that he had an ability to find werewolves and that's why he wanted me dead (a rough sketch of the angle I was planning to take if pushed to claim)

Never came up, but that's why I was relaxed. I'll admit I actually didn't even really expect to end up at a claim request at any point this game - but even if I had I wouldn't have gone running to the mod. I'm not sure if that's odd play or not, but I've never asked a mod for help with a fakeclaim.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #1481 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:37 am

Post by Tierce »

In post 1480, Thor665 wrote:suggest that what Klick was actually was said werewolf FBI guy and that he had an ability to find werewolves and that's why he wanted me dead
Oh you would have been so nailed on flavor on this bit. That would make no sense at all with the way each theriomorph works in the Dresdenverse.

If you don't know the flavor and the mod provides full fakeclaims with flavor worked in, don't refuse that opportunity. That idea of yours would be on par with Klick's horrible claim.

ckd had some really weird perceptions of flavor, too. He was the FBI hexenwolf, but somehow thought at least one scumteam was composed of wolves/theriomorphs? :/ To the point it took "exploding heart" flavor to tell him that Victor Sells was not a wolf? Do a bit of flavor research if you don't know the source, it's not like a google search takes that long...

Spoiler: Explanation of the flavor, based on the characters in Fool Moon, the second book of the series
There are four different types of lupine theriomorphs in the Dresdenverse. Lycanthropes are humans with berserker rage, like the Vikings; they don't shift. Werewolves are humans who learn to shift into wolf form, but don't have wolf instincts. Loup-garous are a cursed bloodline of humans that turn into wolf-like killing beasts during full moon. Hexenwolves are humans with a magical wolf pelt belt that allows them to shift into huge, ferocious wolves, but they tend to be corrupted by the magic of the belt, which is very hard to control. They don't have any special ability to spot other wolves.

Parker is a lycanthrope.
Georgia and Billy Borden (and the rest of their group, called the Alphas) are werewolves.
Harley MacFinn is a loup-garou.
Agent Denton (FBI) is a hexenwolf.

Then there is Tera West, who is a wolf that can turn into a human. She is Harley MacFinn's fiance and the one who trains the Alphas on behaving like wolves when in wolf form.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1482 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:49 am

Post by Thor665 »

I comprehended the different types of shapechangers - I don't see how that would affect my claim.
What part am I missing?
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #1483 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:57 am

Post by Tierce »

In post 1480, Thor665 wrote:what Klick was actually was said werewolf FBI guy and that he had an ability to find werewolves and that's why he wanted me dead
This. Denton would not have this kind of ability.

Billy as a watcher didn't make much sense either, tbqh. As a tracker, follower, bodyguard, motivator, neighborizer, co-[ability] anything, that could be feasible on flavor. Watcher, not so much.
sword_of_omens
sword_of_omens
Mafia Scum
sword_of_omens
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1484 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:02 pm

Post by sword_of_omens »

In post 1477, Tierce wrote:(We still cannot forgive you for 'vesty', though, s_o_o.)

lol...don't lie, you liked-ed it!!! you'll be using it in your next game... :P

looks like we caught every single break we could this game...not to mention Klick playing oustandingly horrible...
not sure why he wouldn't have just claimed as Murphy, let alone why he went off on his own wierd tangent without consulting his team...
- Sword of Omens -
Claiming at L-4 since 2011
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #1485 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:26 pm

Post by Vi »

MoI wrote:I personally think alternate Wincon roles are very under-utilized here on Mafia-scum.
Too easy to screw up. Kinetic famously broke Babylon 5 Mafia thanks to that, and nobody's quite sure what Kublai Khan was doing to fulfill his alt. Win Condition in XABC but that didn't work out as planned (as much as anything in that game was planned) either.

Tierce wrote:He's a "bad guy" by the standards of society, but in the Dresdenverse, he is rather tame because he has such a solid core of ethics that he does not break.
You're forgetting how Dresden tries so hard not to punch the guy in the nose for basically controlling All Things Scummy for his own purposes.

Tierce wrote:(Actually, when Vi told me about the SK speculation, I regretted it for a couple of days, as I think it was coloring my view of the game and behavior in it. Then I just went back to troll game --> lynch scum mode ^_^;)
Admit it, it was fun. One day you may actually be real scum, but this pretend mock-up was fun for the puppy to toy with, wasn't it?

s_o_o wrote:lol...don't lie, you liked-ed it!!! you'll be using it in your next game... :P
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of me gagging.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Klick
Klick
Flash Forward
Klick
Flash Forward
Flash Forward

Post Post #1486 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:27 pm

Post by Klick »

Hey guys, just noting that I fucking get it and everyone can fuck off now. I AM SORRY I SCREWED UP. Fucking Jesus.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #1487 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:30 pm

Post by Tierce »

In post 1485, Vi wrote:
Tierce wrote:He's a "bad guy" by the standards of society, but in the Dresdenverse, he is rather tame because he has such a solid core of ethics that he does not break.
You're forgetting how Dresden tries so hard not to punch the guy in the nose for basically controlling All Things Scummy for his own purposes.
I didn't say they were
upstanding citizens ethics

In post 1485, Vi wrote:
Tierce wrote:(Actually, when Vi told me about the SK speculation, I regretted it for a couple of days, as I think it was coloring my view of the game and behavior in it. Then I just went back to troll game --> lynch scum mode ^_^;)
Admit it, it was fun. One day you may actually be real scum, but this pretend mock-up was fun for the puppy to toy with, wasn't it?
Yes. Yes it was. ^_^ But that will never happen, obviously.
Konowa
Konowa
Mafia Scum
Konowa
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1488 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:33 pm

Post by Konowa »

Great game guys. Great modding MoI.

For what it's worth, ICEninja, I probably would've still shot Thor. The honorable clause definitely kept me from pulling the trigger N1.

By the way, Tierce that was a pretty scaringly dead on meta read. Now of course it'll be null moving forward, but proves meta done right can be solid.
How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder,
without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better,
and not the world about them?
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1489 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:14 pm

Post by Thor665 »

In post 1483, Tierce wrote:
In post 1480, Thor665 wrote:what Klick was actually was said werewolf FBI guy and that he had an ability to find werewolves and that's why he wanted me dead
This. Denton would not have this kind of ability.

Billy as a watcher didn't make much sense either, tbqh. As a tracker, follower, bodyguard, motivator, neighborizer, co-[ability] anything, that could be feasible on flavor. Watcher, not so much.

I think it would make functional sense for him to be hunting werewolves though - at that point the ability makes sense to my mind. No?

I think the Billy thing could have been argued decently considering his patrols. My impression.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #1490 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:28 pm

Post by Tierce »

Denton wasn't hunting werewolves, though. He was killing specific targets (he got into this whole hexenwolf business by trying to hunt down corruption, then lost control over his own nature along the way) and using Harley MacFinn as a patsy.

...Look, just read the books already. :P
ICEninja
ICEninja
Mafia Scum
ICEninja
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1491 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:50 pm

Post by ICEninja »

Someone quite smart wrote:

Seriously. If you haven't read them, read them. You've got spoilers up the ass for the second book basically but that's about it. And the first 3 books, while VERY enjoyable and easy reads, are easily outdone by the following books as the series goes on.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1492 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:33 pm

Post by Thor665 »

In post 1490, Tierce wrote:Denton wasn't hunting werewolves, though. He was killing specific targets (he got into this whole hexenwolf business by trying to hunt down corruption, then lost control over his own nature along the way) and using Harley MacFinn as a patsy.

Eh, if someone had presented that to me - then I would have simply started suggesting he was a rolecop or something and was targeting me because I was a town PR.

I might consider th ebooks, but I'm already reading Song of Ice and Fire thanks to this forum, I'm not sure I need another series right now.
fatlikepig
fatlikepig
Mafia Scum
fatlikepig
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1493 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:32 pm

Post by fatlikepig »

D'aww, I was hoping the game would still be going after I came back from being V/LA. A win's a win, though! :D

Thanks for modding, MoI! This was a really fun game.
Sproink!
ICEninja
ICEninja
Mafia Scum
ICEninja
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1494 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:20 pm

Post by ICEninja »

Thor wrote:
I might consider th ebooks, but I'm already reading Song of Ice and Fire thanks to this forum, I'm not sure I need another series right now.

Butcher has written I think 13 books on this series now and has promised to write IIRC 22 so long as people keep buying them. Do NOT read the series unless you're OK with getting hooked. Because you can't just read one.

Actually if I'm being perfectly honest I MIIIIIGHT like the Codex Alera series more, there's 7 books and the series is finished. It's a little easier to swallow than a series that has 13 books already and won't be finished for another 5 years.
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #1495 (ISO) » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:04 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

I’m glad so many of you enjoyed the game! It was a labor of love and I’m happy how it turned out.

--

@Thor
– Read the series. It’s worth it. Don’t let ASOFAI discourage you from taking on another good series. The one thing I will say about the Dresden Files is that it is a much easier read. Not in, say, a Harry Potter "My eight year old does fine with it" way but in a "Don't need a flow chart and multiple diagrams to keep track of every character and plotline" way. I know I am going to get some flack for this but I can’t get into ASOFIA. I’ve taken three different cracks at Game of Thrones. And I can’t really get past the first 50 pages. For lack of a better term the writing is just too dense for me. I really don’t have time these days where I can just sit down with no distractions. Too much else going on in my household. It’s a similar phenomenon to me with the Wheel of Time series – I stopped reading at book 3 – and later Stephen King books. There is something to be said for lack of density (yes, I am well aware of the irony of me writing that).

I agree with Tierce that calling Denton a werewolf hunting role makes little sense in terms of the series and what I ended up doing with the game. I disagree with her in that I can see Billy as a Watcher role very easily for the reasons you gave (patrols and such).

That said – I didn’t expect you to ask for a fake-claim in wanting help in forming your claim. Like in Faraday games with a heavy theme I expect you would want it for all the secondary flavor elements you might be expected to provide.

--

Vi wrote: Too easy to screw up. Kinetic famously broke Babylon 5 Mafia thanks to that, and nobody's quite sure what Kublai Khan was doing to fulfill his alt. Win Condition in XABC but that didn't work out as planned (as much as anything in that game was planned) either.

Meh. Having come long ago from a land where Alt-wins flew fast and free (some fantastically great, others no so much) I think the design space is under-utilized.
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #1496 (ISO) » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:45 am

Post by Thor665 »

In post 1495, MagnaofIllusion wrote:Don’t let ASOFAI discourage you from taking on another good series.

I'm actually enjoying ASOIF and consider it a fun read.
It's just I'm reading that seriies, the Flashman series, a Warhammer 40k series, and a pair of books on documentary filmmaking right now. And my backlog book pile isn't small either.
I'm just not sure I want an extra 13 books on it ;)
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #1497 (ISO) » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:57 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

You don't have to read them all at the same time :P

I forget where I am in the Series (it is somewhere around book 9 or 10). I'm slowly catching up with Mr. Butcher but am not in a rush to do so.
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
Shmugen
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Shmugen
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1498 (ISO) » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:42 am

Post by Shmugen »

Well, hurry up so you can do the next game, MoI.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”