mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:05 am

Post by mith »

My initial first thought was that ZONEACE's first night move was terrible (and lucky, obviously), but a couple thoughts from during day 1:

Killing on the first night is actually no worse than a random town lynch (and that's how they usually turn out in no/low-info games) the first day, from an individual townie's perspective.

If it does work, it gives an essentially confirmed innocent if one of the scum doesn't come out to claim the kill, and huge odds for the kill cycle plan. Even worse for the scum if they do claim the kill, because then you just lynch both and have a 2 Mafia/14 or 12 townie situation (depending on whether you lynch right first or not), which is a bit worse for the Mafia I think.

If it doesn't work, you still get a confirmed innocent (again, if the Mafia lies about it, lynch them both, and you come out ahead, at least), which I suspect helps the odds on the lynch-cycle plan a bit more than having that extra townie alive (possibly not, though, I haven't run any numbers).

The problem, of course, is that if more than one vig uses their kill, you have a big mess, and the Mafia *can* then safely claim a kill.

A worse play, I think, was the quick second vote without letting Kerplunk speak (I was hoping for a good argument), but again, that turned out lucky.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:11 am

Post by mathcam »

Yeah, I had similar thoughts (on both points). If I had to put money on it right now, I might conjecture that optimal townie strategy on night 1 is to kill at random with probability 1/14 (maybe slightly less), and not kill 13/14 of the time. Then, on average, there's one kill in the morning, and we're in the situation you descibe above.

On the other hand, the confirmed innocent was almost more of a convenience than anything else...having someone that we could trust to make a random list without having to resort to the stock market or anything like that. If ZONEACE had been included in the list, that's just one more person obstructing the possibility that 2 scum are next to each other (though he did make the lynch on the following day easier).

Cam
Fuldu
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Fuldu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:20 am

Post by Fuldu »

Nope, cam. If ZONEACE had been included on the list (because he hadn't taken his shot already), unless he'd ended up between PB and Kerplunk it would have just been you and Kerplunk in the morning, a town loss. You lose a lot more of your chance to win by eliminating the second chance you relied on than you gain by adding an extra person to the mix.
It takes a village to raise a lynch mob.
ralphmerridew
ralphmerridew
Goon
ralphmerridew
Goon
Goon

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:52 am

Post by ralphmerridew »

Suppose that, instead of making a single loop (A kills B kills C ... kills A), the town had paired off. (A kills B kills A, C kills D kills C, ...).

The scum's chances of surviving the night would be reduced (they'd have to get both of a pair, instead of just being adjacent), though if they did survive, victory would be certain. With three scum alive going into the night, I don't think it makes a difference, but with four I think it would have.
Malaprop
Malaprop
Goon
Malaprop
Goon
Goon

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:14 am

Post by Malaprop »

Welp, that was a pretty neat game.

ralphmerridew: Nice strategy.
[size=84]gim sumun.bi shà-thir-ma u ba-rì[/size]
silgado106
silgado106
Someone stop me please
silgado106
Someone stop me please
Someone stop me please

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:20 am

Post by silgado106 »

Well great game everyone I guess hehe.
The game would have been a bigger challenge had Zoneace not killed IS, but well that really helped us out so it turned out for the best. I also had a hand at killing scum (PeaceBringer :-P And my random vote on Tigris was a nice coincidence too) but yeah, I don't think randomly really counts :-P
[size=75](( o-<-< )) Me in a nutshell.... :) Check this [url=http://www.freeiPods.com/default.aspx?referer=9316851]For a referral for me[/url] and [url=http://freeipod.iguano.com/]this for a step by step for a free iPod[/url][/size]
TBuG
TBuG
they/them
I win
TBuG
they/them
I win
I win
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:21 pm

Post by TBuG »

I was kinda hoping cubsfan was scum :P I was hoping it was cubs (So I survived) , Talitha (so I would get credit), and ca (to make lynchoing oh so sweet :) )
rolandofthewhite (5:40:28 PM): It would be weird living with Thesp. All the hookers murdered and skin lying around. :(
rite
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
rite
Shameless Bandwagoner
Shameless Bandwagoner

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:51 pm

Post by rite »

Zoneace's lynching Kerplunk w/o hearing an arguement was a bad play. To be honest, I thought he lost us the game.

In any case, hurrah!
PeaceBringer
PeaceBringer
Posts Blindly
PeaceBringer
Posts Blindly
Posts Blindly

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2004 4:46 am

Post by PeaceBringer »

yawn that is all I have to say-- yawn--
Cubsfan4life
Cubsfan4life
A guy can dream, right?
Cubsfan4life
A guy can dream, right?
A guy can dream, right?

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:13 am

Post by Cubsfan4life »

Huh?
I really need to find a good quote

89-73... an improvement if you look at it that way.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:49 pm

Post by mathcam »

He's saying it's boring how hard we kicked their ass.

You know, it's not like you
tried
to do any better, PB. You just sat there going along with the plan, hoping that the list turned out lucky for you. If you had
really
wanted to, you probably could have cast enough doubt in my plan, or presented a sneaky counter-plan which would have actually benefited you guys.

Cam
Save The Dragons
Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary

Save The Dragons
He/Him
Protection unnecessary

Protection unnecessary

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:29 pm

Post by Save The Dragons »

PeaceBringer wrote:yawn that is all I have to say-- yawn--
Translation: Thank you mith!

Oh...by the way...

Thank you mith!
Malaprop
Malaprop
Goon
Malaprop
Goon
Goon

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:40 am

Post by Malaprop »

Yeah... the mafia played the night as well as they could, but they really could've done better in the day beforehand.
[size=84]gim sumun.bi shà-thir-ma u ba-rì[/size]
Kerplunk
Kerplunk
Mafia Scum
Kerplunk
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:17 pm

Post by Kerplunk »

mathcam wrote:You know, it's not like you
tried
to do any better, PB. You just sat there going along with the plan, hoping that the list turned out lucky for you. If you had
really
wanted to, you probably could have cast enough doubt in my plan, or presented a sneaky counter-plan which would have actually benefited you guys.
I'm not so sure, Cam. Your plan was solid, everyone agreed with it. If there are a few who don't agree with it and the plan goes through (it was a solid plan) then it's obvious who was scum on the next day (if there was a next day).

I think we handled it quite well. If it wasn't you who lived through the the night then it was going to be a lot harder for ZONEACE to figure out the scum.
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:29 am

Post by mathcam »

Yeah, but there was a pretty big chance that the list was going to come back worse for you guys than it did. I'm by no means saying you played poorly, just that you had relatively little chance of winning playing the way you did. I was just responding to PB's claim that the game was boring...it was only boring because the mafia sat back, played along, and hoped for the best. Maybe you could have counter-proposed a new plan. Maybe you could have divided the town in two as to which plan was best, and ended up getting tempers riled enough so that we started lynching each other. Every day that you get to go by before the town puts the plan into action is a better chance for you guys to win.

Cam
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:43 pm

Post by mith »

I think the main thing the scum could've done to throw a wrench into things is say that one of them killed IS. They'd have to make it geniune looking, obviously, or the town just lynches both and we're down to two scum. But there's no way to prove someone *doesn't* have a shot (or does, for that matter), and it would cast doubt on ZONEACE being confirmed. As soon as PB posted "I guess we have one confirmed townie unless anyone else wants to take responsibility for the shot.", they were in trouble.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:09 am

Post by mith »

You will all be pleased to know that mafiascum.net gets the "Who played this variant better?" award for TJ Mafia. :P

Texas Justice on The Grey Labyrinth
mole
mole
die suck die
mole
die suck die
die suck die

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:27 am

Post by mole »

Bah, you just can't accept that my plan (and amazingly good luck) was unbeatable.
mole is now sleeping with the fishes.
Kerplunk
Kerplunk
Mafia Scum
Kerplunk
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:46 am

Post by Kerplunk »

Woohoo!

edit
: Oh wait, I was mafia... Well, still a good job!
Has your mafiagame lasted for only a few days or maybe it dragged on and on and on? Check the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?title=Records]Records page[/url] on the wiki to see if it is a record!
mathcam
mathcam
Captain Observant
mathcam
Captain Observant
Captain Observant

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:43 am

Post by mathcam »

LOL @ Kerplunk.

But just because we did better doesn't mean you guys did worse.

Cam
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:25 pm

Post by mith »

I didn't mean the town did better, I meant the players as a whole did better. :P

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”