Song Contest 144 (Results posted!)

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:40 pm

Post by PJ. »

I always was opinionated, I'm just too lazy to type most times
Sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.
Aurathebirb
Aurathebirb
Townie
Aurathebirb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:34 am

Post by Aurathebirb »

:igmeou:

Spoiler:
Spain - The comet is coming (6.5/10) - Enjoyed this. Cool instrumental music, could see this being a cool thing to listen to while doing some computer work if you want to feel like a cool hacker. Bit of nice jazzy stuff on it too. Solid.

Chad - Oliver Tree (7/10) - Ye this is a solid song I can enjoy. Great beat. Good pop song.

Dominica - Thom Yorke (6/10) - This was kind of nice, enjoyable to listen to, but not as interesting as a long of Radiohead music is. Good for a certain mood.

Iceland - Daniel Olsen (6.5/10) - This is a solid EDM song. Actually surprised that I like this. Very jammin

Iran - Wang Chung (5/10) - I've heard this song a few times before. Can't say I hate it. Its a pretty decent 80s song. Not a killer, but its subtle and avoids being annoying

Finland - Moonsorrow (4/10) - Oh this is the 19 minute metal song people were mentioning. Gave it a fair shot. Intro was fine. It's one of the tolerable genres of metal at least. Don't like the vocals. Chord progression is actually quite good. Surprisingly managed to listen to the entire thing, though it was mostly boring. Fade out at the end is super lame, and would make me angry if I liked the song more.

Djibouti - Entheos (1.5/10) - Don't like it regardless of what genre you'd call it.

Canada - Leahy (2/10) - This is the kind of song that could be special to someone but I can't enjoy it, its very sappy.

South Africa - Strident (2/10) - I don't think the ironic quality of this song raised it that much for me, it's still just a genre I don't like.

Hungary - Steeleye Span (2.5/10)- Not my thing, didn't find the metaphor compelling, ballad etc.

Weatherday - Porcelain Hands (3/10) - So apparently there is such thing as too indie. I'm not someone who needs production value to be good to enjoy a song but it needs to exist? Would be maybe only a 4 or 5 even otherwise though I think.

USA - Be like Max (5/10) - Oh neat this is like punk mashed up in a blender with ska. I'm enjoying the ska half of this song, guess that makes it a bit above average.

Bolivia - Chico Buarque (9/10) - I'm liking this. It's slow, mellow, real cool vibe to it. Interesing percussion choice. Seems like a film noir track. Love when the brass comes in. Absolutely killer.

Vatican City - Eraserheads (5/10) - This feels very 90s and not in a way I like. Not huge on this song but the chorus is pretty good.

Switzerland - Eluveitie (2/10) - Can tell its a metal band because the photo is all black and that's considered cool in metal. Mediocre though. Would rather listen to the 19 minute song again.

Greenland - Andrew Mcmahon (3.5/10) - I have a bit of a pet peeve for the "OHHHHHHHHHH" being used in a lot of indie pop songs. I blame Of Monsters and Men for this. Meh on the song.

Poland - why (4/10) - I almost thought I was gonna be won over for a second there. This chorus is bad though. The verse is alright, I'm a swing fan even if he isn't a great singer.

Turkey - Nellie McKay (6/10) - This is pretty great to be honest, world needs songs about walking dogs. Good lyrics, well put together song.

Sierra Leone - Lyn Inaizumi (5.5/10) - That bass is pretty sweet. This song still has a lot of that video game production quality. It's alright. Mostly just like the bass.

Japan - Sakanaction (5/10) - This song definitely has that credits song feel to it. Bassist is awesome. I dunno if I can get over how cheesy it is though.

Nigeria - A Day (1/10) - Feels like one of those emo bands got slightly more edgy and emo. I dun like it.

Niger - Brooke Fraser (1.5/10) - sleepy

Liechtenstein - Dinosaur Pileup (3/10) - can't grunge just die already
toolenduso
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
toolenduso
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:51 am

Post by toolenduso »

This might be the hardest time I've ever had picking favorites in a song contest, and it's because all but like one or two songs in here were at least fairly enjoyable for me. There was also nothing that I found to be amazing, but it was quite a good listen through.

Spoiler: Faves
Costa Rica - Calexico - The Black Light: Nice groove to this. Love the production, too. It's like lo-fi, but well done. You can really hear how they're playing their instruments, it's not all obscured with editing. This was pretty cool and fun. Reminded me a bit of Cake, mainly because of the vocals but also just the playing style. Might be my fave, idk. I'll get back to you on that. DECENT.

Djibouti - Entheos - Pulse of a New Era: Okaaaaay, we've got some Animals as Leaders style riffs going on here. And even some fun, crisp synth! Again, the screams sound too quiet. What's going on with screaming lately? Is this a new style? Are people losing the ability to scream? Is it a production trend? Just fuckin boost it in the mix, people! Anyway yeah, this very much hits my weak spot for metal so I am enjoying this. Either this or Dominica is my fave so far. DECENT.

Dominica - Thom Yorke - Suspirium: Oh yeah Thom Yorke has solo stuff. I forgot that. Not too far off from Radiohead stuff tbh, but that's expected. Not bad! It's pretty. My favorite of the three I've heard so far. DECENT.

Turkey - Nellie McKay - The Dog Song: This was quite fun. Quite, quite fun. Hmmmm. DECENT.

Canada - Leahy - Borrowed Time: This is prettttttty. In a very natural-sounding way. Yeah, you know what, I am usually bored to death by this type of ballad, but this is just very well done. Love the singer(s). Love the instrumental break toward the end of the song. Very nice. Not incredible or anything, but very nice. DECENT.

Hungary - Steeleye Span - We Shall Wear Midnight: These lyrics, man. Brutal honesty right here. I like this quite a bit. It's up there with Leahy, I'd say. DECENT.

USA - Be Like Max - At Least I'm Not A Toucher: Hey, some modern ska! That's fun. I also like the political vibes going on here. This is pretty good nostalgia for me, so I'm gonna give it high-ish points. Ohhhhhhhh ok, so these are interesting lyrics now that I look them up. They're pretty great except for the part where they advocate for prison rape. DECENT.

Bolivia - Chico Buarque - Construção: Ayy, got some Bond-style brass and strings going on here. That's fun. Yeah, this is jammable. And it morphs to get kinda crazy sounding toward the end! It should also get high-ish points. DECENT.

Spain - The Comet Is Coming - Channel the Spirits: Well this is interesting. It's like some kind of weirdo modern jazz fusion. This is cool, and I can dig it, but it's also pretty simple. Hard for me to care a ton about it. It kinda feels like an interlude. Will almost certainly get points, though. DECENT.

Poland - Panic! At the Disco - Crazy = Genius: Well, well, well, looks like I was at least a little wrong about Panic. I thought all their stuff since Pretty Odd was just derivative, dumb pop. At least here we have some modern swing stuff, and I will say, I enjoy those drums. It's still not up to the level of Fever, but this is waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than I was expecting. DECENT.
"Half of the game is figuring out who the scum is. The other half is convincing everyone else that you're right." -- PlaysWithSquirrels, in Newbie 437
Dr Easy Bake
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:00 am

Post by Dr Easy Bake »

The reason behind my voting decision this contest:
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:21 pm

Post by Vi »

In post 152, toolenduso wrote:Again, the screams sound too quiet. What's going on with screaming lately? Is this a new style? Are people losing the ability to scream? Is it a production trend? Just fuckin boost it in the mix, people!
Honestly the softness (which exposed the backing instruments) is why I rated it as highly as I did.
When I saw a comment say "this group needs to be mentioned in the same breath as Spiritbox" I prepared for pain, but etc.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
Dr Easy Bake
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:13 pm

Post by Dr Easy Bake »

In post 152, toolenduso wrote:Again, the screams sound too quiet. What's going on with screaming lately? Is this a new style? Are people losing the ability to scream? Is it a production trend? Just fuckin boost it in the mix, people!
Yeeah, the quiet screams were something I wasn't a fan of when this album first came out. I was much more a fan of their first album. The live aspect of this band helped me enjoy the album even more though for sure. They were always fun to see live, but I saw them in like early 2019 and had one of the best times of my life at a show. The songs slapped in a live performance, and Chaney is an amazing frontperson. I recall a live video I saw where she yelled at an unresponsive crowd "I'm bleeding right now and I'm busting my ass up here, you should be doing more!" Which really made me laugh. Anyway, I gave this album another listen after that show last year and absolutely fell in love with it, especially this song. I came to enjoy even it more than I did their first album, even with the vocals being a bit quiet. It's proggy tech death perfected.
Plus, Chaney and Navene are couple goals.
Spoiler:
Dr Easy Bake
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:17 pm

Post by Dr Easy Bake »

In post 152, toolenduso wrote: Djibouti - Entheos - Pulse of a New Era: Okaaaaay, we've got some Animals as Leaders style riffs going on here.
Funny you say that! Navene was Animals as Leaders' original drummer.
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:25 pm

Post by Cyril »

relistening to the entheos song and it's definitely djent. you're honestly lying to yourself if you think otherwise
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:23 pm

Post by Cyril »

this was such a "meh" contest. almost nothing i particularly wanted to give points to in the end
Dr Easy Bake
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:51 am

Post by Dr Easy Bake »

In post 157, Cyril wrote:relistening to the entheos song and it's definitely djent. you're honestly lying to yourself if you think otherwise
There’s not a even a single djent in this song dude, learn your subgenres.
Dr Easy Bake
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:59 am

Post by Dr Easy Bake »

Like, I’ve honestly stopped caring what you think about my submissions, but djent has a bad connotation and I don’t want you misrepresenting metal to people who don’t know.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:18 am

Post by PJ. »

As someone who has very slightly dabbled with metal(mostly core), no one beside metal people know of any connotations with djent or any other type of metal or can name more than like 2 subgenres of metal, and the only thing that people are judging about this conversation is your negative attitude. And this is coming from someone who's definitely had issue with Parama stating his opinion as fact before.
Dr Easy Bake
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:03 am

Post by Dr Easy Bake »

That’s a very good point Panzer. I know I care about Metal a lot, possibly too much. I don’t enjoy being defensive about it, but Cyril’s attitude towards music just gets under my skin and brings out the worst in me. Our arguing basically took down the Metal forum I tried to start. I definitely don’t want that to happen here so I’ll try to keep my cool.
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:23 am

Post by Plotinus »

voted!

I overestimated the number of discworld fans here
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Vi
Vi
Professor Paragon
Vi
Professor Paragon
Professor Paragon

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:55 am

Post by Vi »

In post 161, PJ. wrote:(mostly core)
unintentionally demonstrating your point, but my impression based on my experience with the song contest is that you can add -core to anything and it makes it sound cooler
the style itself isn't any different; the description just sounds cooler

--
Plotinus wrote:I overestimated the number of discworld fans here
Fwiw I read half of I Shall Wear Midnight, but then I had to give it back.
Everything you say and do matters. People will respond in ways you may never see. May those responses be what you intend.
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:17 am

Post by PJ. »

Pretty much yes.

I'm sure some that cares can explain the technical diffetences between metalcore and melodic death metal, but to me they sound identical and metalcore is way more cool to say
Plotinus
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Plotinus
Kitten Caboodle
Kitten Caboodle

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:26 am

Post by Plotinus »

In post 164, Vi wrote:
--
Plotinus wrote:I overestimated the number of discworld fans here
Fwiw I read half of I Shall Wear Midnight, but then I had to give it back.
I've been making my way through the Mark Reads Discworld while i do chores and stuff. Here's the I Shall wear midnight playlist if you want to see how it ends.

I'm all the way up to Snuff so I'm almost done with the series
The failure mode of clever is asshole.

Modding checklists | Sequencer is in Game 5 | Space II is in Day 4
Aurathebirb
Aurathebirb
Townie
Aurathebirb
Townie
Townie

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:28 am

Post by Aurathebirb »

brb gonna listen to some operacore
Dr Easy Bake
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Dr Easy Bake
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:25 am

Post by Dr Easy Bake »

In Metal, -core just means that it has a Hardcore element to it. As far as operacore goes, I have a very specific band in mind that fits this descriptor perfectly lol
Cyril
Cyril
Watcher
Cyril
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:55 am

Post by Cyril »

In post 159, Dr Easy Bake wrote:
In post 157, Cyril wrote:relistening to the entheos song and it's definitely djent. you're honestly lying to yourself if you think otherwise
There’s not a even a single djent in this song dude, learn your subgenres.
i've listened to more than enough djent to know that djent is one of the main ingredients of that entheos song
student
student
Watcher
student
Watcher
Watcher

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:45 am

Post by student »

hi every1 ^_^ oh are we taking abt dat metal subgenre nightcore??? I love that stuff omg <33333 nd i wnat to share w yalllllll smth like this righ wooo =3 hoap u all like it ------ haha toodles!!!!
PJ.
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
PJ.
Hell in a Cell
Hell in a Cell

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:06 pm

Post by PJ. »

I'd of given it points :shrug:

That's uh...the least nightcore "nightcore" song ever tho.
CheekyTeeky
CheekyTeeky
Survivor
CheekyTeeky
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:29 pm

Post by CheekyTeeky »

Sorry didn't finish live reactions but have voted. That Japanese video made my day.
popsofctown
popsofctown
She
Survivor
popsofctown
She
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: She

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:37 pm

Post by popsofctown »

In post 171, PJ. wrote:I'd of given it points :shrug:

That's uh...the least nightcore "nightcore" song ever tho.
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:32 am

Post by Rhinox »

Many of the songs in this contest were excellent songs to fall asleep through which was unfortunate while I was trying to get through voting last night but I made it. I found 11 songs I definitely wanted to give points to on the first pass and everything else went in to the pile of "songs I'd reconsider for points if I didn't have 10 by the end". There was not one song I nope'd away from. Solid contest.

Spoiler: The 10 getting points (in no particular order)
Chad
Iceland
Canada
South Africa
USA
Switzerland
Greenland
Poland
Nigeria
Niger

Return to “General Discussion”