"Happy holidays" is bullshit Christian normativity.

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #1600 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:24 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

Merry Christmas means Moderately Drunk Christmas, which I think we can all agree is a good thing
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Shaziro
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Shaziro
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1601 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:26 am

Post by Shaziro »

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, folks
vonflare
vonflare
doot
vonflare
doot
doot

Post Post #1602 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:28 am

Post by vonflare »

Glory to God in the highest

And on earth, peace to people of good will
THIS POST IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #1603 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:12 am

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 1598, Who wrote:I would like to use this thread to complain about the word "merry". It's archaic and only used with relation to Christmas. From modern usage, "Merry Christmas" effectively means "Christmassy Christmas". Switch to a better holiday greeting, switch to "Happy Christmas". Or "Happy Holidays". Both are good. But stop using "merry", it's an archaic word and should just be forgotten.

Also Happy Christmas Mafiascum.
Have a gay Christmas, Who.
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Alchemist21
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Alchemist21
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1604 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:23 am

Post by Alchemist21 »

In post 1598, Who wrote:I would like to use this thread to complain about the word "merry". It's archaic and only used with relation to Christmas. From modern usage, "Merry Christmas" effectively means "Christmassy Christmas". Switch to a better holiday greeting, switch to "Happy Christmas". Or "Happy Holidays". Both are good. But stop using "merry", it's an archaic word and should just be forgotten.

Also Happy Christmas Mafiascum.
Don't they already say Happy Christmas in Britain?
Who
Who
Yes?
Who
Yes?
Yes?

Post Post #1605 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:46 am

Post by Who »

They do. One of the many reasons why Americans should have payed their taxes.
Who said that?
Chamber. It's all a conspiracy.
Or is it?
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #1606 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:50 am

Post by Davsto »

As a Brit I have heard happy Christmas but merry Christmas tends to be more common, at least where I'm from
Not_Mafia
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Not_Mafia
Smash Hit
Smash Hit

Post Post #1607 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:09 am

Post by Not_Mafia »

In post 1606, Davsto wrote:As a Brit I have heard happy Christmas but merry Christmas tends to be more common, at least where I'm from
Also, what is NM doing? Worst play I’ve ever seen.
I can't remember the last N_M post that wasn't bland, unimaginative and lame. Some shitposters are at least somewhat funny. You are the epitomy of the type of poster that nobody would miss if you were to suddenly disappear. You never add anything of value.
I'm guessing you haven't read the game and probably never will? Why even sign up to play?
Majiffy
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Majiffy
Go with the Flow
Go with the Flow

Post Post #1608 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:59 am

Post by Majiffy »

Ugh this necro every friggin year
Only playing in games at personal moderator and/or 50%+ playerlist request.

How To Win Every Game At Mafiascum (The Flowchart)
||
In case anyone was unsure...
Svenskt Stål (23:38) majiffy, worst mod on ms? we talk to a surviving victim of his game
BROseidon
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
BROseidon
Expert Marxman
Expert Marxman

Post Post #1609 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:40 pm

Post by BROseidon »

In post 1599, Annadog40 wrote:I find it strange when people change lyrics to Christmas music to make it more inclusive.
Growing up, my school had a Kwanza song we would sing as part of the holiday season. It was a pretty bad song (like all holiday songs TBH), but hey I know the principles of Kwanza as a result.
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #1610 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:48 pm

Post by Korts »

Oh look this thread again.

Happy holidays Shea!
scumchat never die
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #1611 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:03 pm

Post by Firebringer »

Kwanza is a weird holiday
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #1612 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:10 pm

Post by Mina »

Since people refuse to let this die, can I coopt this thread to complain about something that actually annoys me on a similiar topic? (I actually kind of prefer happy holidays to merry Christmas, honestly.)

The Tesco Christmas commercial featuring people in hijabs and turbans celebrating Christmas.

It seems like all the backlash is from right-wing xenophobes and "keep the Christ in Christmas" types, and the official left stance is that it's amazing and inclusive. But I find it pretty condescending.

Maybe practicing British Muslims or Sikhs will prove me wrong by coming into this thread and say, "Actually, most of us do decorate our houses for Christmas and invite our whole families over for a turkey dinner," but in my experience, most people who practice religions other than Christianity do not give a shit about Christmas. Atheists who go, "Christmas is for everyone, because it's become a secular cultural tradition" generally have Christian ancestors, so it's a cultural tradition
for them
. It's not "inclusive" to erase people's differences instead of celebrating them. At least a token hanukkiah feels like an actual acknowledgment of other cultures, rather than, "We know that all non-Christians are just dying to celebrate Christmas like we do."
McMenno
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
McMenno
they/them
One For Aren't-We-All
One For Aren't-We-All
Pronoun: they/them

Post Post #1613 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:15 pm

Post by McMenno »

merry holidays
Vijarada
Vijarada
Goon
Vijarada
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1614 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:16 pm

Post by Vijarada »

so what does everyone think about god.

he's good imo
get a warrant
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #1615 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:26 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 1612, Mina wrote:Since people refuse to let this die, can I coopt this thread to complain about something that actually annoys me on a similiar topic? (I actually kind of prefer happy holidays to merry Christmas, honestly.)

The Tesco Christmas commercial featuring people in hijabs and turbans celebrating Christmas.

It seems like all the backlash is from right-wing xenophobes and "keep the Christ in Christmas" types, and the official left stance is that it's amazing and inclusive. But I find it pretty condescending.

Maybe practicing British Muslims or Sikhs will prove me wrong by coming into this thread and say, "Actually, most of us do decorate our houses for Christmas and invite our whole families over for a turkey dinner," but in my experience, most people who practice religions other than Christianity do not give a shit about Christmas. Atheists who go, "Christmas is for everyone, because it's become a secular cultural tradition" generally have Christian ancestors, so it's a cultural tradition
for them
. It's not "inclusive" to erase people's differences instead of celebrating them. At least a token hanukkiah feels like an actual acknowledgment of other cultures, rather than, "We know that all non-Christians are just dying to celebrate Christmas like we do."
Ur rant here doesn’t even make sense
Show
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

SleepyKrew
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
SleepyKrew
he/him
Snark Attack
Snark Attack
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #1616 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:28 pm

Post by SleepyKrew »

made sense to me?
To be clear: quack
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #1617 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:29 pm

Post by Mina »

What part of it are you having trouble understanding, Firebringer?

I don't think the ad was horribly racist or anything--it was just trying to show they cared about diversity but felt a bit tone-deaf to me.
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #1618 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:32 pm

Post by Firebringer »

In post 1616, SleepyKrew wrote:made sense to me?
I had to reread it a few times.
I am exceptionally slow today.

I haven’t seen this commercial so no comment
Show

Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #1619 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:37 pm

Post by Davsto »

In post 1612, Mina wrote:Since people refuse to let this die, can I coopt this thread to complain about something that actually annoys me on a similiar topic? (I actually kind of prefer happy holidays to merry Christmas, honestly.)

for them
Brit here. Not Muslim or Sikh, am white and Christian etc but, going to a college which has a decent amount of Muslim students, I have definitely seen some play some part celebrating Christmas as a holiday. I think it's celebrated a bit more non-secularly here, as I've never met an atheist who doesn't celebrate and I've met people of other religions who do celebrate. At the very least, one would assume they got Muslim and Sikh actors to play the roles and them agreeing is a strong sign that they celebrate Christmas outside of its religious beliefs.

Not going to speak further because I'm not, yknow, Muslim or Sikh and I don't wish to come across as speaking for any others' culture, but just my view and observations as a British person who knows plenty of non-Christians.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #1620 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:48 pm

Post by Mina »

@Firebringer: I am pretty verbose!

@Davsto: how religious are the ones you know? I mean, I know people who like using it as an excuse to throw a party or give presents or wear a funny sweater. My manager at work was raised Muslim and loves Christmas, but she's non-practicing and married to a Christian--she doesn't wear a hijab. I don't deny that non-Christians celebrating Christmas is a thing. I just don't like the implication that it's common, I guess. It doesn't jive with my personal experience.

Canada is probably a lot more secular than the U.S., but I don't know about the difference between Canadian and British Christmas.
Davsto
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Davsto
He/Him
Farce of Habit
Farce of Habit

Post Post #1621 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:59 pm

Post by Davsto »

They seem fairly religious - I'm know some that at least fast in Ramadan, which is a sign of strongly following (especially considering it falls on exam season). I also think it's probably not "common" as such, but probably more common over here than in USA and definitely existent enough for them to be recognised in an advert, particularly when the other thousands of Christmas adverts don't recognise them.
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #1622 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:04 pm

Post by hiplop »

most of the muslims i know (decent amount?) celebrate christmas. all the sikhs do
third best scummer of all time
Fluminator
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Fluminator
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1623 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:20 pm

Post by Fluminator »

This thread always gives me a laugh.
Mina
Mina
The Shipwright
Mina
The Shipwright
The Shipwright

Post Post #1624 (ISO) » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:33 pm

Post by Mina »

I've heard Jesus is recognized as a prophet in Islam, so maybe I'm projecting here. The ad annoys me based on my personal experiences surrounding Christmas, but might resonate with others.

Return to “General Discussion”