Shady
Shady
Goon
Shady
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1625 (ISO) » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:32 pm

Post by Shady »

In post 1624, Titus wrote:My eyes are glazing.

Can we lynch Shady now?

you're a fucking moron and no one respects your opinion
Shady
Shady
Goon
Shady
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1626 (ISO) » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:34 pm

Post by Shady »

we could have constructed a plan for the night but that's sort of out the window now

i think it should just be mega/GV cops one of me/NA at this point, i don't think there's any better usage
Natural Aristocracy
Natural Aristocracy
Townie
Natural Aristocracy
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1627 (ISO) » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:56 pm

Post by Natural Aristocracy »

I'll take the cop hit, yo.
I'm fine with the Quailford LOL lynch, too.
Let's do this.
There is a natural aristocracy among men, the grounds of which are virtue and talents.
Gumby
Gumby
Townie
Gumby
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1628 (ISO) » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:20 pm

Post by Gumby »

In post 1615, Spider Gwen wrote:And Mega will be protected tonight.

Great job, genius, you know?

"Let's claim Doctor
after
claiming Doctor might have been useful so a lynch can go through on someone who my Doctor could have cleared, but still leaving me open to a Nightkill tonight. Oh, and I'll tell everyone who I'm protecting too so scum know who not to kill!"

Like, seriously, are you actually being that thick?
My... brain... hurts...
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1629 (ISO) » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:18 am

Post by Quilford »

Flip later; it's 3:18 AM here and I'm on holidays.
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1630 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:42 am

Post by Quilford »

• Votecount 4.5

>>> Quailford LOL (5)— Greatvalue, The Phantom of the Opera, Gumby, Megafan1998, Shady <<<

Greatvalue (2)— Spider Gwen, Quailford LOL
    Shady (1)— Titus

Not Voting
    (1)— Natural Aristocracy

At 5 votes, a lynch has been achieved.

Deadline

A lynch has been achieved before deadline.

Mod notes

Flip incoming...
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1631 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:45 am

Post by Quilford »

• >>> Quailford LOL,
    Mafia Station Chief
    , was lynched Day 4! <<<

Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1632 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:46 am

Post by Quilford »

• >>> A win condition has been achieved! <<<

Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1633 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:52 am

Post by Quilford »

• >>> Natural Aristocracy,
    Vanilla Townie
    , survived and won the game Day 4! <<<

>>> Titus,
    Vanilla Townie

>>> Spider Gwen,
    Vanilla Townie

>>> Shady,
    Vanilla Townie

>>> The Phantom of the Opera,
    Vanilla Townie

>>> Greatvalue,
    Town Neapolitan

>>> Gumby,
    Town Miller

>>> Megafan1998,
    Town Vanilla Cop

>>> xXSexyKumquatXx,
    Vanilla Townie
    , posthumously won the game Day 4! <<<

>>> Shiba Tatsuya,
    Vanilla Townie

>>> You are dead to me,
    Town Vanilla Cop

>>> the_soothsayer,
    Vanilla Townie

The Town has won! The Mafia have been defeated.

This game is now over. The setup, Night actions, and mod comments are to be revealed.
Last edited by Quilford on Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1634 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:38 am

Post by Quilford »

• Mod comments

Congratulations to a pretty divided town for uniting themselves around successive scum lynches. The mechanic definitely encourages a certain level of unpleasantness which fosters that division.

That said, Quailford was the only scum member who put in an acceptable amount of effort, and even then they had little hope of winning. Certainly part of this is down to problematic interactions with buddies, but I think setup related reasons played a more decisive part:

1. Greatvalue, the Neapolitan, investigated them on Night 1 and learnt that they were non-Vanilla. This meant, come claiming time, a VT claim would be fatal and a non-VT claim would likely fall apart under setup spec (as happened). I think this is part of the
    normal cut-and-thrust
    that comes with investigative roles, but it appears more unfair due to the fact he was the last scum member alive when the investigation result came to light.

2. Both investigative roles become exponentially more powerful when less scum are alive and especially post-massclaim when people are able to get a better idea of whether the remaining Mafia are likely to be Vanilla or not. This one is
    completely on me
    . I did not take this into account at all and only saw the Vanilla Cop as useful at exposing fakeclaims and possibly helping the Neapolitan sniff out a Mafia Goon.

So, in hindsight, the Deputy role should not have been included. It tricked the Station Chief into thinking they were out of danger to some extent, when in fact the Vanilla Cop was coming back bigger and better than ever.
    Although I still think to some extent the way in which this setup turned out was an edge case that just looks really bad for the scum because there were no protective roles
    and it's really easy for the Station Chief to use their ability to pick off the investigative roles by working backwards from their breadcrumbs and two of the scum slots fell without putting up much of a fight
    grumble grumble whine grumble whine whine

I doubt I am going to run another game under the Secret Alt mechanic. I thought it might be worth running another Secret Alt game because everyone seemed to like the mechanic enough in the first game and I thought the lack of activity was down to prod timers and deadlines being too long. But no, I think people just feel less shame from lurking / getting prodded / getting replaced if their mains aren't involved. If anyone were to run a similar game, I would recommend making the players agree to having their mains outed if they're replaced due to inactivity. (I came up with this idea independently of Shiba Tatsuya, but feared player revolt if I raised it after the game had already begun.) I also would wait until ms.net came up with a quicker and easier way of switching accounts, or alternatively just run the game off-site.

Here's the Dead PT. Here's the Mod PT, including all the Night actions, Role PMs and discussion between me and spoilered players. I'll reveal the Scum PT if Quailford agrees to it.

Thanks everyone, and special thanks to our replacements, many of whom replaced into slots that were very close to being lynched. Keep any post-game discussion civil or I'll lock the thread.
Spider Gwen
Spider Gwen
Goon
Spider Gwen
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1635 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:24 am

Post by Spider Gwen »

Okay, Station Chief was the link I was missing. I still think town having both Vanilla Cop and Neaploitan is redundant, as Neapolitan being a much better version of VC makes that role essentially useless. Add a Deputy to that, and I'm shocked this was approved at all. I would think a reviewer would point out the problems with this. I think Deputy would have been good to ax, although I'm thinking it might have been better to get rid of the redundant VC role.

Overall, my biggest regret is that I had my doubts at the 11th hour on the Zuko lynch. I freaked out at that strange reaction and even PMed the mod to make sure a mislynch didn't happen when he wasn't really hammered. I really wish I'd have stayed on there in the long run.
"The Gwen Stacy method for alienating new friends: If all your friends have changed their minds about something and you start to doubt yourself-- DOUBLE DOWN!" -
Secret Wars: Spider-verse #3
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #1636 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:36 am

Post by Ether »

The dead thread, You are dead to me wrote:Gwen is Ether.

Wait. Wait. What?

The mod thread, You are dead to me wrote:Gwen was playing well before disappearing from the game.

I feel like I should be upset but I'm just cackling wildly.
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
Gumby
Gumby
Townie
Gumby
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1637 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:09 am

Post by Gumby »

I have no idea who anyone was (apart from the player whom DGB was because I saw her post before it was deleted, thankfully I have little to no meta experience of DGB so I couldn't really... you know... do anything with the knowledge).

Now I wonder if anyone can guess who I am...
My... brain... hurts...
Marquis
Marquis
Survivor
Marquis
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1638 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:15 am

Post by Marquis »

talah in the Dead PT wrote:And gumby's signature looks like Marquis

well ok then.
link in bio
Gumby
Gumby
Townie
Gumby
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1639 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:19 am

Post by Gumby »

(Hint: I'm not Marquis)
My... brain... hurts...
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1640 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:39 am

Post by Quilford »

In post 1635, Spider Gwen wrote:I would think a reviewer would point out the problems with this.

In review, people were actually worried town would have too little power!

Vanilla Cop was also in there to shield the Neapolitan from the Station Chief. I mean, given how pro-breadcrumbing the current meta is, it becomes a 50% chance you've picked off the most important PR rather than a 100% chance.
Gumby
Gumby
Townie
Gumby
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1641 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:43 am

Post by Gumby »

I must say, the Station Chief is a really clever role; it gives scum quite a bit of useful power (knowing where all of the Cops visit), but it's info that is entirely useless to them unless they apply skill. It can be quite difficult to create a role like that. Well done.

I'm not going to get into balance conversations, but there was one problem that it was slightly broken by the massclaim; the roles have such a synergy that you see the claims and know it makes just enough sense for them all to likely be telling the truth.
My... brain... hurts...
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1642 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:48 am

Post by Quilford »

In post 1641, Gumby wrote:I must say, the Station Chief is a really clever role; it gives scum quite a bit of useful power (knowing where all of the Cops visit), but it's info that is entirely useless to them unless they apply skill. It can be quite difficult to create a role like that. Well done.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. (:

In post 1641, Gumby wrote:I'm not going to get into balance conversations, but there was one problem that it was slightly broken by the massclaim; the roles have such a synergy that you see the claims and know it makes just enough sense for them all to likely be telling the truth.

Yeah, I don't disagree. Because I came up with the idea for the Station Chief and then designed the setup around it, it probably came out looking a little too perfect, like a model setup that's meant to be looked at but not played.
Gumby
Gumby
Townie
Gumby
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1643 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:50 am

Post by Gumby »

I'm quite happy that, during the game, no-one tried to guess who I was. Probably would have irritated me a little.

Confused by it though; I wasn't exactly attempting to disguise who I actually was, so I wouldn't be too hard to guess, methinks. I dunno.
My... brain... hurts...
Gumby
Gumby
Townie
Gumby
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1644 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:54 am

Post by Gumby »

Actually, that's a slight lie; there's one aspect of me that I had to actively avoid because it would have given away who I was to basically anyone who's interacted with me.
My... brain... hurts...
Ether
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Ether
Lyrical Rampage
Lyrical Rampage
Pronoun:

Post Post #1645 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:54 am

Post by Ether »

The station chief means a neapolitan with innocents is going to be really obvious, since you know who they're ignoring. (You listed Megafan as a second vanilla cop instead of a deputy twice, by the way.) I'm not sure a vanilla cop would deflect that, since vanilla cops don't really have innocents or guilties as such unless they're contradicting a claim.

Balance seemed all right to me. I think the deputy and making it 15 players instead of 13 helped. But I would totally say that.

(Also eeeeeeeee neapolitans you used a neapolitan!)
As I move my vote
Towards your wagon, town is taking note
It fills my head up and gets louder and
LOUDER
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1646 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:19 am

Post by Quilford »

In post 1645, Ether wrote:(You listed Megafan as a second vanilla cop instead of a deputy twice, by the way.)

Eh I just flip people with the role name from the most recent role PM they were sent. I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise though.

(Haha yeah I chose the Neapolitan as the primary investigative role pretty much because of your advocacy)
Shadoweh
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Shadoweh
Idol Hands
Idol Hands

Post Post #1647 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:21 am

Post by Shadoweh »

[quote=Quilly]I doubt I am going to run another game under the Secret Alt mechanic. I thought it might be worth running another Secret Alt game because everyone seemed to like the mechanic enough in the first game and I thought the lack of activity was down to prod timers and deadlines being too long. But no, I think people just feel less shame from lurking / getting prodded / getting replaced if their mains aren't involved. If anyone were to run a similar game, I would recommend making the players agree to having their mains outed if they're replaced due to inactivity. (I came up with this idea independently of Shiba Tatsuya, but feared player revolt if I raised it after the game had already begun.) I also would wait until ms.net came up with a quicker and easier way of switching accounts, or alternatively just run the game off-site.[/quote]
I think it's weird that having ALL the alts revealed at the end wasn't a condition of the game in the first place. What's the point of playing and guessing at people if you don't get the confirmations at the end of who That Asshole was or the surprise that Mr. Competent was someone you normally think is a VI?
I HATE YOU SO MUCH PLEASE GO JUMP INTO A FREEZING LAKE - Mr. Freeze
And this was like me realizing that you were a serial killer. - Hathor
"but I must declare my love to Edelgard here, i offer you the treasure I stole from Raphael, an idol LOL" - Shamir
Titus
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Titus
She/her
Moon Walker
Moon Walker
Pronoun: She/her

Post Post #1648 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:22 am

Post by Titus »

Tbh, I want to know who Shady is because his behavior is totally unacceptable for town.
Show
The scum had the misfortune of Titus being absurdly accurate on day one.Really quite impressed by that.~Drixx

You're letting Titus win the game by herself.Good luck now I guess.You have no chance to win.~Tywin

GTKTitus Part 2
Titus Academy

VLA Friday nights until Sunday morning.

All hail the Scum Empress!
Greatvalue
Greatvalue
Goon
Greatvalue
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1649 (ISO) » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:26 am

Post by Greatvalue »

Subject: Secret Alt Mafia 2 – Mod PT

You are dead to me wrote:
In post 1019, Greatvalue wrote:I thought Yadtm got a Vanilla result on Quail and that it contrasting with his vig claim was a contradiction, but I can see Yadtm taking a not Vanilla result on Quail as an indicator of towniness.

Oh my god, dummy. A "Vanilla" or "not vanilla" result isn't indicative of shit.

There are four categories of players: vanilla townies, town PRs, mafia goons, and mafia PRs. A vanilla cop is only useful after players claim to see if it matches up. It matching up is in no way indicative of town because mafia goons can fake claim VT roles and mafia PRs can fake-claim town PRs. On the off-chance they don't, then they get caught. That's it.

Assuming that someone is town because I get a vanilla result on them is stupid. Assuming that someone is town because I get a non-vanilla result on them is stupid. I can only conclude that you believe I'm stupid. But trying to draw conclusions through assuming that your fellow townies are stupid is
itself
stupid.

Well of course. I did actually think YADTM investigated Quail N1, but had no idea what the result was. I had a great deal of investment in trying to determine that because it could have identified him as a Mafia Goon, so I spun it a bit to try and to induce a role-indicative reaction from Quailford, wording things in a way that it seemed like he would gain the benefit of stronger townreads if he agreed/committed to a VT hint. Not the reaction I wanted though because then the Vig wasn't indicative with my result, though independently it was still really literally incredible.

In hindsight him knowing he was investigated makes sense. Did he think I/someone else was a Tracker or something? The early Vig claim seemed rushed but just enough to cover all bases.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”