Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #1750 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2012 10:26 am

Post by Haylen »

I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It doesn't say not to do it in the rules. How many times do you see a returning from the dead mechanic? I've only encountered it once, in my first SK game where I had a reviving power (reviving after a day/night period after suiciding) - I was unable to talk about the game to anyone when I was 'dead' and the mod made it quite clear.
Seriously. Read your role PM before playing.
I am sorry if you have to prod me, I have absolutely no concept of time.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
LimMePls
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1751 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2012 10:26 am

Post by LimMePls »

In post 1749, pidgey wrote:Oh, you are probably very proud of losing LMP?

Even if I thought i played badly, cause you know town lost and all, that doesnt mean i thought you played better.

I just find it fascinating that you seem to imply that my tunneling you was bad but admit that you played badly. So if I have a scum read on a town player playing (by their own admission) poorly, that's bad play on my part? DOES NOT COMPUTE.

No I don't like losing and I'm not proud of it. I don't think my scum reads were very good this game. I'm just pointing out the irony of acting like I did something so bad by thinking you were scum when BY YOUR OWN ADMISSION you played bad. I was supposed to see your bad play and magically know it was coming from town?
"LynchMePls is more town than all the players I've ever declared to be townies. And that's never going to change." - Drippereth

V/LA on weekends
jasonT1981
jasonT1981
Jack of All Trades
jasonT1981
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1752 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2012 10:28 am

Post by jasonT1981 »

In post 1745, LimMePls wrote:
In post 1730, jasonT1981 wrote:
In post 1729, LimMePls wrote:
Mastin from Dead QT wrote:I'm not sure I can go into more detail than that, though. Needless to say, I just got a PM from someone who told me they were Marvel scum. :P

Is this allowed? Seems like a giant no-no to me.

Yes, I allowed this due to Mastin being dead and therefore the PM had no influence in the game.

It's your game, but it seems like a massive slippery slope to allow living players to PM dead players. For one, now the living player knows there are no "return from the dead" mechanics, or else there would be a problem.

Just sayin, IMO this behavior should not be allowed as a site rule. I'll take it to MD.

I understand your point, I can see where you are coming from. However with it being a full reveal flip game then it would be silly to bring people back from dead as they are all confirmed allignment! lol.
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1753 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2012 10:28 am

Post by Nero Cain »

In post 1751, Haylen wrote:I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It doesn't say not to do it in the rules. How many times do you see a returning from the dead mechanic? I've only encountered it once, in my first SK game where I had a reviving power (reviving after a day/night period after suiciding) - I was unable to talk about the game to anyone when I was 'dead' and the mod made it quite clear.

doesn't this break the "no talking about the game outside of the game" rule?
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

edited c.s. lewis quote b/c limit
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #1754 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2012 10:29 am

Post by Haylen »

Your scum reads were fine. The were just for the wrong reasons.

Sorry Nero, I'm not following.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
pidgey
pidgey
Mafia Scum
pidgey
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1755 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2012 10:29 am

Post by pidgey »

I played badly because I thought you, kondi, and Snake were marvel scum before my dead.

Yes, having a scum read on town is poor play, just like you had one.

Yes I believe I played badly, just like all town did, you included. If all town would have done a better job (Kondi not being a derp, you not being a professional tunneler, pizza not killing the cops, me not trying to lynch lurkers) we would have probably had a better chance.
-----------------
Sup
LimMePls
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1756 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2012 10:31 am

Post by LimMePls »

In post 1751, Haylen wrote:I don't think there's anything wrong with it. It doesn't say not to do it in the rules. How many times do you see a returning from the dead mechanic? I've only encountered it once, in my first SK game where I had a reviving power (reviving after a day/night period after suiciding) - I was unable to talk about the game to anyone when I was 'dead' and the mod made it quite clear.

The fact that you've seen it once means it introduces additional information to the game. Which, IMO, is not kosher. IMO every ruleset should state explicitly that you cannot communicate with other players of the game unless your role specifically allows you to and only in the manner allowed to by the ruleset. Living players PM-ing dead players is bad for Mafia, in my opinion. I'm not on a witch hunt or anything, I don't think the game was some how tarnished or there should be any "punishments" or anything, but I do think that it should be discussed by the community. Living players PM-ing Dead players seems at the very least poor sportsmanship, but I think it should simply be disallowed.

jasonT1981 wrote:I understand your point, I can see where you are coming from. However with it being a full reveal flip game then it would be silly to bring people back from dead as they are all confirmed allignment! lol.

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen. See Farside's Supernatural game in my wiki for an instance where flips occured AND players returned to life.

Nero Cain wrote:doesn't this break the "no talking about the game outside of the game" rule?

This. Pretty much my point. And even if a game doesn't have this rule, IMO it should be a site-wide rule.

Once again, I'm not on a witch hunt, the odds that this had any affect on this game at all is about .001%. I still think it shouldn't be allowed.
"LynchMePls is more town than all the players I've ever declared to be townies. And that's never going to change." - Drippereth

V/LA on weekends
LimMePls
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1757 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2012 10:32 am

Post by LimMePls »

In post 1756, pidgey wrote:Yes, having a scum read on town is poor play, just like you had one.

Couldn't disagree more. If a player plays like they are scum and town lynches them, this does NOT make the participating town players "poor players". Simply not true.

V/LA on weekends
pidgey
pidgey
Mafia Scum
pidgey
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1758 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2012 10:32 am

Post by pidgey »

Ok you did great then I guess.
-----------------
Sup
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1759 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2012 10:33 am

Post by Nero Cain »

I disagree with Pidgey. I thought I played pretty well. I managed to avoid suspicion and most everyone thought I was town besides MOI all the while having 2 and half correct scumreads.
Of all tyrannies,a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

pidgey
pidgey
Mafia Scum
pidgey
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1760 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2012 10:35 am

Post by pidgey »

LMP- Thing is you were the only one that thought I was scum, though. And pizza, but I dont count him.

Pedit: If town loses, then the whole town is to blame as a group. Sure, some members might have tried more, or made good decisions. But in the end, if the game is a lose, no town member should feel like they did well.

3rd party and scum teams are another case.
-----------------
Sup
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1761 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2012 10:36 am

Post by Nero Cain »

no no no. RP's blew. :)

Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #1762 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2012 10:37 am

Post by Haylen »

LMP wrote:The fact that you've seen it once means it introduces additional information to the game. Which, IMO, is not kosher. IMO every ruleset should state explicitly that you cannot communicate with other players of the game unless your role specifically allows you to and only in the manner allowed to by the ruleset. Living players PM-ing dead players is bad for Mafia, in my opinion. I'm not on a witch hunt or anything, I don't think the game was some how tarnished or there should be any "punishments" or anything, but I do think that it should be discussed by the community. Living players PM-ing Dead players seems at the very least poor sportsmanship, but I think it should simply be disallowed.

I forgot to add that this specific game was a bastard mod game. I'm sure next day revival can only occur in bastard modded games - it's necessary for the mods to tell the players if the game is of that type before they /in for it.

LimMePls
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1763 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2012 10:37 am

Post by LimMePls »

pidgey, as town we're uninformed (well, VT anyways). We don't know who is scum. All we have is the actions of the other players. So if a player ACTS like scum, and I think they're scum, even if I'm wrong it doesn't make me a "bad" player.

It'd be like someone offering me 2-1 on a coin flip, me taking them up on it, losing the flip and then being called "a bad player". Just because the outcome went against me doesn't make it "bad" play.

pidgey wrote:Thing is you were the only one that thought I was scum, though.

It would be a logical fallacy to say "I'm the only one that thinks pidgey is scum, therefore he is town". There are many reasons why I could be the only one calling someone scum and be right.

V/LA on weekends
LimMePls
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1764 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2012 10:39 am

Post by LimMePls »

In post 1761, pidgey wrote:Pedit: If town loses, then the whole town is to blame as a group. Sure, some members might have tried more, or made good decisions. But in the end, if the game is a lose, no town member should feel like they did well.

Also not true. Imagine a game where a Doc successfully protects two or three times and has decent reads, before getting NKed N4. Town loses. Should that player feel like they did not play well? That is simply not logical.

I can play Monopoly perfectly and lose. Does not mean I played poorly.

V/LA on weekends
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1765 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2012 10:42 am

Post by Nero Cain »

This is the way I see it. What if there was a Reviver and they wanted to bring back Mastin and then Mastin (assuming he wouldn't want to cheat) was all "oh the scum pmed me!!!"

I don't think its that big of deal but I thik maybe you should not do it in the future.

LimMePls
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1766 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2012 10:45 am

Post by LimMePls »

From Post 0 of the Archive wrote:5] There is to be no communication outside this thread unless your PM states otherwise.

Relevant to the discussion.

V/LA on weekends
LimMePls
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1767 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2012 11:09 am

Post by LimMePls »

I'm gonna table this discussion in this thread, it's a bit distracting from post game gloating/crying/other-thoughts. You can find an MD topic devoted to it here: http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.ph ... 6#p4081116 .

V/LA on weekends
Pine
Pine
In Your Head
Pine
In Your Head
In Your Head

Post Post #1768 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2012 11:39 am

Post by Pine »

In post 1745, LimMePls wrote:
In post 1730, jasonT1981 wrote:
In post 1729, LimMePls wrote:
Mastin from Dead QT wrote:I'm not sure I can go into more detail than that, though. Needless to say, I just got a PM from someone who told me they were Marvel scum. :P

Is this allowed? Seems like a giant no-no to me.

Yes, I allowed this due to Mastin being dead and therefore the PM had no influence in the game.

It's your game, but it seems like a massive slippery slope to allow living players to PM dead players. For one, now the living player knows there are no "return from the dead" mechanics, or else there would be a problem.

Just sayin, IMO this behavior should not be allowed as a site rule. I'll take it to MD.

He was the last member of his scumteam. Who would be resurrecting him, exactly?

It was a breach of etiquette, and technically against site rules, but there was no harm in it.

It won't happen again, but you're making mountains out of molehills.
"Cry havoc, and let slip the wombat of war!"

Act 3, Scene 1 of
Julius Caesar
, by W. Shakespeare
Furcolow
Furcolow
To Be Frank
Furcolow
To Be Frank
To Be Frank

Post Post #1769 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2012 2:12 pm

Post by Furcolow »

MoI - not true
suck my balls
ThAdmiral
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1770 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2012 2:58 pm

Post by ThAdmiral »

In post 1743, Pine wrote:I feel kind of bad for you, Nero Cain. You were playing a pretty decent game. We got a bit lucky in that we jailkept you early and made the connection that missing kill might equal Serial Killer. You got a little screwed by not being Bulletproof - with two scumteams and a Vig, you really should have been at least 1-shot bulletproof on top of investigation-immune.

I want to second this. Nero played about as well as he could.

In post 1748, Nero Cain wrote:
In post 1745, LimMePls wrote:Just sayin, IMO this behavior should not be allowed as a site rule. I'll take it to MD.

I agree with this. Its also like boasting and thats like not very good sportsmanship me thinks.

Second this as well. If you want to boast, wait till after the game ends.

In post 1770, Furcolow wrote:MoI - not true
suck my balls

Classic furc.
Don't ask me to provide self meta
Nero Cain
Nero Cain
Survivor
Nero Cain
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #1771 (ISO) » Tue May 29, 2012 3:40 pm

Post by Nero Cain »

*sniffles* you guys make me happy that you think I played fairly well.

LimMePls
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
LimMePls
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1772 (ISO) » Wed May 30, 2012 4:25 am

Post by LimMePls »

Pine wrote:He was the last member of his scumteam. Who would be resurrecting him, exactly?

It was a breach of etiquette, and technically against site rules, but there was no harm in it.

It won't happen again, but you're making mountains out of molehills.

LMP from earlier in thread wrote:I'm not on a witch hunt or anything, I don't think the game was some how tarnished or there should be any "punishments" or anything, but I do think that it should be discussed by the community

I'm not making mountains out of molehills. I quite distinctly say that I think it's a molehill, but that it's still a breach and shouldn't be allowed. I very PLAINLY say in this thread and others that I don't think the outcome was in any way affected and have no problem with how it was handled. I said it should be discussed as a community because I don't think it's behavior that should be allowed.

In other words, Read or STFU.

V/LA on weekends
Zeek
Zeek
Goon
Zeek
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1773 (ISO) » Thu May 31, 2012 1:37 pm

Post by Zeek »

I will third that nero played well.
DRey
DRey
Goon
DRey
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1774 (ISO) » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:46 am

Post by DRey »

I agree Nero played well. I liked pidgey's play too. I also fully agree with LMP that people should not be talking to other people about on-going games. Isn't this on the universal rules or something? =p

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”