schadd walrus 2: feast of the invisible cats (join biancospino walrus!)

For completed/abandoned Mish Mash Games.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class
Pronoun: she/her, not they

Post Post #200 (ISO) » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:04 pm

Post by Isis »

I'm gonna end this like "I got last but I nailed predicting the winner
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
"What? Nothing? You would make the prince suffer over... nothing?"
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox
Pronoun: he/it

Post Post #201 (ISO) » Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:31 pm

Post by schadd_ »

In post 199, Pink Ball wrote: A bit of context for my submission, if you weren't aware of the story behind the song: Jim wrote that song when his wife told him she was pregnant, back on 1970, and was released on 1972 in his debut album "You Don't Mess Around With Jim". A year later, Jim died in a plane crash, eight days before his son's 2nd birthday.

Jim was going to stop touring and stop doing music so he wouldn't be forced to be away too much time from his family. He wrote a letter to his wife saying so, a letter that she received five days after the accident.

The lyrics of this song... I've always felt like he wrote them after dying. "But there never seems to be enough time to do the things you want to do once you find them", it's like he knew what was going to happen. It kills me every time I hear it.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmhmmmmhmmmmmm
free darius mccollum
todays featured user: mith

Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #202 (ISO) » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:56 pm

Post by Isis »

In post 175, tris wrote: i am afriad to post this link.

https://youtu.be/jU-MbImdL7o

im emberassed. why did you make me do this isis.
Going to watch this when I have time soooonnnmmm
"Let us say that you are right and there are two worlds. How much, then, is this 'other world' worth to you? What do you have there that you do not have here? Money? Power? Something worth causing the prince so much pain for?'"
"Well, I..."
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #203 (ISO) » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:20 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 192, schadd_ wrote: slightly didn't know how to find an aristophanes song without taylor swift being like "i was happy but i was also sad" but this looks like a reasonable bet.
I'm glad I could subvert your expectations by sending in a cover rather than Taylor Swift! The Discord chat was right to point at me for it though :P
I honestly figured mine was glaringly obvious as myself, so I'm happily surprised :) The next one I don't think I have a chance at hiding, but who knows!
In post 192, schadd_ wrote: it could just be like alex before and after he isonfire.
I make audible noise at this line! Well done my friend XD
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
Aristophanes
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Aristophanes
He/Him
Mr. Blue Sky
Mr. Blue Sky
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #204 (ISO) » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:21 pm

Post by Aristophanes »

In post 199, Pink Ball wrote: A bit of context for my submission, if you weren't aware of the story behind the song: Jim wrote that song when his wife told him she was pregnant, back on 1970, and was released on 1972 in his debut album "You Don't Mess Around With Jim". A year later, Jim died in a plane crash, eight days before his son's 2nd birthday.

Jim was going to stop touring and stop doing music so he wouldn't be forced to be away too much time from his family. He wrote a letter to his wife saying so, a letter that she received five days after the accident.

The lyrics of this song... I've always felt like he wrote them after dying. "But there never seems to be enough time to do the things you want to do once you find them", it's like he knew what was going to happen. It kills me every time I hear it.
I always really liked this song and it was a great submission here! I had no clue about this, but damn does it hit differently once you know this.
Half meme, Half real, All Aristophanes ;)
- Jingle
Ari has appeared way too competent for me to even pretend to know what they're thinking
- MooseEatsBear on discord mafia
it wouldn’t be an ari sig unless it takes up half the screen on mobile - Vonflare
fireisredsir
fireisredsir
Goodfellas/Rising Star
fireisredsir
Goodfellas/Rising Star
Goodfellas/Rising Star

Post Post #205 (ISO) » Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:58 am

Post by fireisredsir »

In post 192, schadd_ wrote: i like her singing a lot. but i can't find any way to translate the lyrics (there's one site that seems to have them but they're unselectable) and otherwise idk how to get multi emotions from this.
been listening to this a lot so i gave it a try

took a bit but here, can't promise it's 100% accurate but i believe it translated pretty well (the title is "Farewell")

Spoiler:
In the depths of my heart, there's a solitary girl,
A little girl who never leaves me, no matter what

Sometimes without warning bursting into tears, waking me up,
Trying to smile quietly, then suddenly going wild

You say, no matter what I do,
You loved me the most, it was you

Even today, you remain, holding your knees to your chest
Staring at me, not moving an inch.

Because of you, I'm always alone,
Unable to leap into anyone else's arms, it's just you and me.

~

Even without you, I can live on my own,
Even without your help, I won't be deceived by anyone.

I could never forget about you,
Because you've been the one supporting me all this time.

Farewell, little girl, vanish from within me,
Farewell, little girl, farewell, girl,

Farewell, farewell, farewell, girl,
Farewell, farewell, farewell, girl,
Farewell.
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #206 (ISO) » Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:07 pm

Post by Isis »

In post 175, tris wrote: i am afriad to post this link.

https://youtu.be/jU-MbImdL7o

im emberassed. why did you make me do this isis.
These are the deepest insights I love it
"Well, I..."
tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris
Pronoun: she

Post Post #207 (ISO) » Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:15 pm

Post by tris »

In post 191, Aristophanes wrote: Hey tris!

I loved the video!

I really likes the awkward "awkword" bit! Also, that blue splatter looked so surprised at the size of its nose! XD

Ooooooh! I see what was meant by "light switch cover". I thought you sang a cover of light switch! Which by the way, I would be down for. But also it's super cute! Did you paint it yourself? The kitty looks so real and pettable! <3

Oh, when you let your phone fall, that was too good XD

You were so many cats! Also, thank you for having so many interesting visual textures in this video! My eyes appreciated how they felt :)
i did not paint it myself. i cannot make art like that
here's what it says
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #208 (ISO) » Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:10 pm

Post by Isis »

Can I have 2 dropped cats if I ask nicely enough. Maybe 7
"Well, I..."
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #209 (ISO) » Thu Aug 03, 2023 4:23 pm

Post by schadd_ »

um that would just mean that your second lowest score goes to 0
free darius mccollum

DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog

Post Post #210 (ISO) » Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:11 pm

Post by DeathRowKitty »

she would prefer seven
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #211 (ISO) » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:16 am

Post by schadd_ »

revealing around this time tomorrow!
free darius mccollum

tris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
tris
she
Splatoon Tetris
Splatoon Tetris

Post Post #212 (ISO) » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:25 am

Post by tris »

chelsea dagger is playing at the place im at
here's what it says
Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #213 (ISO) » Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:44 pm

Post by Isis »

In post 209, schadd_ wrote: um that would just mean that your second lowest score goes to 0
My score might go up!
"Well, I..."
Skygazer
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
Skygazer
any
For My Next Guest
For My Next Guest
Pronoun: any

Post Post #214 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:03 am

Post by Skygazer »

my friend amanda will be listening with me today!
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #215 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:06 am

Post by schadd_ »

trying out this strategy
Spoiler:
Majiffy wrote:
MUSHSHAGANA wrote:
Invisibility wrote:
Skygazer wrote:
DeathRowKitty wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
ChannelDelibird wrote:
toolenduso wrote:
Cheetory6 wrote:
T3 wrote:
stinkycheesedan wrote:
Isis wrote:
biancospino wrote:
hellbooks wrote:
wgeurts wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
Chickadee wrote:
Aisa wrote:
Chevre wrote:
ceejayvinoya wrote:
Infinity 324 wrote:
fireisredsir wrote:
tris wrote:
PJ. wrote:

reveal in an hour!
free darius mccollum

Isis
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Isis
she/her, not they
Best in Class
Best in Class

Post Post #216 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:08 am

Post by Isis »

What is this schadd avatar
"Well, I..."
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog

Post Post #217 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:08 am

Post by DeathRowKitty »

wow
schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #218 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:26 am

Post by schadd_ »

In post 216, Isis wrote: What is this schadd avatar
이상이
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #219 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:28 pm

Post by schadd_ »

cat 6 (forgiveness)
Spoiler: 1st: stinkycheesedan

enjoyment: 6.3 (4.6+/5)
catfit: 2.5
unfamiliarity: 0.9
guess: stinkycheeseydanny ... (?)
submitter: stinkycheese dan... and yet somehow i put this in the wrong category. ok i'll have to figure out what to do about this. oh it looks like its both categorys.... thats probably my fault (POST REVEAL NOTE it was not my fault.) -0.1
medals / ICs: like killing of a sacred deer :spaghetti: +0.9, 1st place :small_orange_diamond: +2.0
genre: post-old metal

9.6 + 2.9

So i'm thinking of guessing aisa...

this is specifically about the vocalist jonathan davis being sexually abused by his babysitter and his parents not preventing it (just out of apparent ignorance). which i found by looking at genius lyrics, something i generally dont do.. you'll have to forgive me for wanting context to this

there's a long history of like exploiting "taboo" subjects in metal music, where i would loosely say that the lyrical content is in service of the mood of the music, something that enables the Hardness of the music to go further. and i generally dislike that tendency. even failing the fact that this song is autobiographical, i think that it lacks that exploitative urge - there's not really a way that the singer is aggrandized by this, rather, i would say it represents a kind of large loss of social capital, flagging his music as ugly and the sort of thing liked by weirdos and losers. which is of course not a great or fully accurate way of putting it but you know.

most everything in this song seems to be in service of illustrating the difficulty of healing. instrumentally, i immediately recognized a few aspects that resemble Ugly metal music from closer to the present, like the sub-bassiness and overall suffocating atmosphere of e.g. chat pile. there's the segment where he's crying for a while and the instruments kind of awkwardly continue around him, which i wanna take as a metaphor for the way people kinda wanna ignore the difficult and uncomfortable emotions of an artist in favor of being more entertained by the music.

the song opens with a little bit on forgiveness; the invocation of forgiveness seems secondary to the feeling of the singer managing his own emotional state, but i'm still finding it.

what stands out about the thing at the end is that it's a drawn out argument more than a sharply harmful one. "don't tell me any secrets, be quiet"

Spoiler: 2nd: chevre

enjoyment: 6.0 (4.5/5)
catfit: 2.7
unfamiliarity: 0.6
guess: chevy
submitter: chevy -0.1
medals / ICs: 2nd place :zap: +1.5
genre: hyperpost

9.3+1.5

i promise i only slightly like 100 gecs & people just do a good job sending their songs to the walrus. i actually listened to this album a few weeks ago (which i'm not penalizing you for, though i am for the fact they got subbed last time) and this was easily my favorite track on it. so go figure. maybe people get me.

i guess it's just very fun to read into this song an allegory/treatise/whatever on forgiveness. i mean i suspect that the authorial intent is, either partially or majorly, just about the tooth, and even the act of forgiving and reckoning with, the tooth. but, like, it surveys the feelings of how to deal with something that is causing you pain, and the opening bit sets you up to think in those terms.

different lines resemble resigned acceptance ("it doesn't hurt me every day so i just let it get away") as well as active denial ("i might grab the pliers and just rip it out myself :cowbell:") (the cowbell makes me go "eee!")

the chorus really takes on the classic emotional brewing of ska, which is an excited shrugging of the shoulders - the feeling of smoking weed while skateboarding - with the downwardly splaying melody to match.

i think that chev already likes this band and also current year music but even failing those two things it just serves chevre sub realness

Spoiler: tied 3rd: aisa

enjoyment: 6.2 (4.6/5)
catfit: 2.2
unfamiliarity: 0.6
guess: skygazie .. ?
submitter: aiza
medals / ICs: 3-way 3rd place :eye_in_speech_bubble: +0.7, honest songwriting :anchor: -0.1

9.0+0.6

ahhhh she's got that classic *woman who releases music under her first and last name from before 2000* voice. kinda sounds like carly simon. i really like her funny waddling melody for lines like "one time i trusted a stranger because i heard his sweet song" which affords them some unplaceable emotional character.

i have to admit to not really getting what she means by "..but jesus was a cross maker." i figure it means something like "his heartbreaker-ness is gonna be the end of him". but it really has that cadence. there's a lot of other stuff where she's like very actively using a lot of language that i don't get exactly but she sells it with her general songwriting deliciousness.

i actually listened to this album almost exactly two years ago, but i'm quite happy to be reminded of this song.

POST REVEAL NOTE: i decided to give this honest songwriting but not until after i gave it to invisibility which means she gets +0.2 and you get -0.1. sorry i don't make the rules.

Spoiler: tied 3rd: aristophanes

enjoyment: 5.8 (4.4/5)
unfamiliarity: 1.0
guess: fireisredsir
submitter: aristophies..
medals / ICs: three-way third :eye_in_speech_bubble: +0.7

9.0 + 0.7

if there's forgiveness here i would say it's sort of . . willingly misappropriated to describe the nasty feeling of being unattractive. like it takes that same reassuring mood that several other subs to this have taken, but it applies it to the search of forgiveness for being a "plain girl" - which i think is a knowingly kind of absurd premise. and at the same time i think the song just offers that forgiveness as well as trying to point out that it's unnecessary.

i dont know if i'm doing a good job picking this apart, it's like a song that accomplishes a lot with subtext. or is it subtext, idk if i would even call it that, it's just like drawing on a lot of feelings indirectly. in any case it builds this idea that forgiveness is maybe not what you need, and draws out at how complicated it is.

though of fireisredsir before even listening to this tbh
Spoiler: tied 3rd: invisibility

submitter (unguessed due to spreadsheet problems): invisibilly
medals / ICs: honest songwriting :anchor: +0.2, three way 3rd :eye_in_speech_bubble: +0.7
genre: post-reveal

9.0 + 0.9

i accidentally overwrote this when i was supposed to overwrite one of mushshagana's songs that it revised. and i figured that out after the reveal because i did everything at the last minute. i was like "huh it feels like there's one too many metal songs". it's awkward that i know exactly what numbers i have to give it to make it be third place & i feel fine that tossing her into the pile of 3rd placers is an equitable outcome. the thing is that both of my numbers could go up.

i guess i just really like the confident and kind of unfazed attitude by which this person says "yeah sorry i'm gonna hang on to my grievances here." and throws it into the disappointments pile. the titular "charms around your wrist" analogy is umm. charming. i guess i'm familiar with the disappointments pile. "and it's seauuxx saaad" she says it just like vinny thomas at 0:13
Spoiler: tied 6th: mushshagana

enjoyment: 5.9 (4.4+/5)
catfit: 2.1
guess: msha :face_with_peeking_eye:
submitter: so... this has to be invisibility.??? (narrator: this is mushshagana -0.1)
medals / ICs: not on spotify :mute: +0.1
genre: moishe post-one

8.9 + 0.1

ahh, spite.

it starts out seeming to be about one person in particular, and sort of opens up to being about a class. which is interesting. i guess i don't really forgive rich people either. it's sort of easy to listen to this and lose the thread of a specific personal grievance. but it finishes strong.

Spoiler: tied 6th: hellbooks

catfit: 2.0
guess: hellbooks
submitter: its hellbooks -0.1
medals / ICs: not on spotify :mute: +0.1, songs that my keys would like +0.3
genre: boobies video... (alt: post tits) (lol sorry)

8.9 + 0.4

i like the big layered atmosphere in which the singer is meekly singing at the bottom with his hands crossed. something about it gets at a feeling of inevitability or unpreventability, the way you apologize for the rain. there's another entry where i also feel like a funny little low bass phrase makes me think like "ahh ... what can ya do..."

oh all right i'll crack open papago. "완벽하지 않아" / it's not perfect, followed by a couple lines that argue that's not a bad thing, uttered like a tasty little secret.

너를 만지고 싶어 하루종일 / 집 안에서 집 밖에서 매일 같이: songs that my keys would like

Spoiler: tied 8th: pj.

guess: pj
submitter: pj -0.1
medals / ICs:
genre: post-hardcore i guess

there's some special kinda sincerity in the singer's voice, like he sounds like someone that would have been a jock or whatever but then people liked it when he sung real loud. sorta don't have a lot to say about it... maybe i would say the climax isnt very umm convincing? even though you might not think so from looking at the score
Spoiler: tied 8th: cheetory6

enjoyment: 5.7 (4.3+/5)
guess: chickadee
submitter: cheeto!
medals / ICs:
genre: dittycore

the general mood is like comfort and reassurance, i suppose the feeling of being forgiven, or just like a representation of the positive feelings associated with the act. the instrument, which i would conjecture to be a saenghwang, that comes in around the middle, adds a little fog of emotional ambiguity, a faint and misty acknowledgement of the pain someone caused. i guess there's not much to analyze about this song, i'll just say that it works.

reminds me of the little miss sunshine songs chickadee likes.

Spoiler: tied 10th: majiffy

catfit: 2.0
guess: isis
submitter: majifty!
medals / ICs:

people from the 1970s would come up with some phrase like "you are just a song" and be like awesome this shits gonna be lyrics. and a song title too if i can swing it. it's like forgiveness by way of diminishment. it's fun to think of what meanings are contained in that. i'm gonna listen to you for two minutes and 50 seconds and move on.

i like how it's a big exciting revelation in the way the music presents it.

Spoiler: tied 10th: ceejayvinoya

catfit: 2.3
unfamiliarity: 0.4
guess: cheeto 6
submitter: ceejay vinoya!
medals / ICs: paired vocalists +0.5, exactly three minutes and 46 seconds award :beetle: +0.5
genre: post-pre-frank watkinson

8.7 + 1.0

this is a song that i've listened to a bunch, although not in the last 5+ years. i guess i really like the way it's a dialogue, a songwriting technique that feels decreasingly common. i get a big spark of joy and memory from "i feel i must interject here" [big dramatic orchestra swell but it's low in the mix] and her verse is just written very nicely. it's a little bit sitcom-y, there's never a particularly strong feeling that some genuine grievance is present, but i like that it has a sappy romantic guy asking for a second chance and the answer is just like "lol...!!! no!" and she resoundingly gets the last word. it feels very singsongy and yet also breaking with the typical logic of the sort of song it presents as.

Spoiler: 12th: channeldelibird

enjoyment: 5.0 (4.0/5)
catfit: 2.5
guess: i guess i didn't guess invisibility
submitter: channel db!
medals / ICs:

there isn't a whole lot of magic to the songwriting and i think it might have been nice to cleave off maybe a minute and a half at the end (i.e. right before "lalalalalala"). but it exploits the strophic form that insists that there's some sort of emotional thread between all these verses that have the same melody. like when you iterate on the melody with all these little story fragments it places them as one single answer to "how does your family feel about your dad" which is "it's complicated". i like the low shimmer in his voice at the start of a few phrases, reminds me of the song blurred view
Spoiler: tied 13th: fireisredsir

catfit: 1.6
guess: wgeurts
submitter: fireisredsir... yeah sorry about the lyrics
medals / ICs:
genre: post-discernability

one of several songs where i'll claim that it just doesn't have lyrics. i see that they are listed on bandcamp. great! thanks for publishing a little poem alongside your instrumental song that happens to have vocals as an instrument. one shining exception is the section with "you're an inhumane bunch of bastards and bitches and you're gonna get your asses nuked in the end." contrast that with the thing that's actually effective for me in conjuring forgiveness which is that repeating phrase with sudden low bass at "B... A#...", like the feeling of a begrudging acceptance, a forgiveness with terms and conditions. "ugh.. ok..". the song takes a few moments to establish that layered feeling and then just turns around on it with the vocal sample thats like "actually never mind it's all gonna burn to the ground lol." i enjoy that.

Spoiler: tied 13th: t3

catfit: 1.5
guess: majifty
submitter: t3
medals / ICs:

heard the 5/4 time situation and was like oh i guess this is the tool song. for a while i was like "why is this song in five quarter time. It doesnt have to be" like one of those guys that gets really angry at Diverse Characters in video games. but the breakdown (?) (just throwing that word out) at about 4 minutes made me go like Oh this is good and worthwhile.

man it is... so hard to choose to pay attention to the lyrics to this. sorry. thats kinda the tradeoff you take by sending an 8:39 song. mostly there's a handful of lines i'll latch onto and be like "yup that makes sense". but it's a good song. kind of hoping the submitter will just be happy that i listened to it all the way (and several times to boot!). "let go.. let go.." ok i thought we were holding onto the grudge. Which one is it.

Spoiler: 15th: biancospino

catfit: 1.8
unfamiliarity: 0.8
guess: t3
submitter: bianco spinho
medals / ICs:
genre: pre-megalovania!

diablo swing orchestra is like a walrus staple on mafia universe. i'd say their whole symphonic deal is kept in check for this song which is good. i kinda like those farty little horns. we're gonna have a bunch of metal songs that take the Not Forgiving route. there's something really wicked and sensual about that "this time you're coming cleeeean..." line, i guess it's basically expressing the joy taken in riding a conflict to its deepest conclusion.

Spoiler: 16th: isis

enjoyment: 5.4 (4.2/5)
catfit: 1.9
guess: aisa
submitter: aisis!
medals / ICs:

imagining one of the many huge fans of musicals that apparently exist, getting to the part of this song where she's like "i ask forgiveness" and being like Ok awesome sending this. although that line doesn't ... really establish the forgiveness feeling so much (and especially with that chaser "for all the things you blame me for" lol). i (and realistically, the submitter) see this more aptly as a moment where two people tally up the reasons they have to respect each other, and later choose to channel that into forgiving each other. it's kind of muddled with musical stuff, like if you wanna make three acts worth of stuff you have to belabor the point a lot with this "ohh you came into my life... and its changed forever... ohh.." business. ooh it has that stinky little kate bush bass.

taking 0.1 unfamiliarity points bc idina menzel was in uncut gems

Spoiler: tied 17th: toolenduso

catfit: 1.3
guess: toolenduso
submitter: yeag -0.1
medals / ICs:

i guess i like the guitar. which i guess is the thing to like. And the drums. maybe generally speaking, i appreciate the big adventurous movement and through-composedness. this is the first of two eight minute songs that just really struggle to keep me reeling in the thematic content, so to speak. vaguely the mood is there, but it's just like, i'm sitting listening to him talk about this guy and the boat and some stuff about love and whatever and it's just hard to get there. the chorus seeks the feeling of being forgiven but it i'm just not feeling it tie into the music very well i guess.

when i saw the album cover i think i recognize this from tool's top 100 list and maybe even like the top of it... ourgh....

POST REVEAL: read what he says about it here!

Spoiler: (tied 17th: illusory mushshagana)

catfit: 1.4
guess: biancospino?
submitter: msha darn.... this was closely my second choice...
medals / ICs:

i like that funny little difference in the wording "watch me bleed to those i love" vs. "bleed *for* those i love". at least that's what it sounds like. what it sounds like is the person (people i guess) arguing against the idea of being irredemable. it's hard to get a whole idea out of the songwriting, which is kind of disjointed and occasionally gets eaten up by vocals that are hard to pick up in the mix or done in a kind of indistinguishable scream. i'm not much of a lyrics reader unfortunately. good guitar tone. i like the name monica strut.

Spoiler: tied 17th: infinity 324

enjoyment: 6.1 (4.5+/5)
unfamiliarity: -0.1
guess: pink ball
submitter: oh infinity duh
medals / ICs:
genre: post-post (and post-homogenic)

unfortunately you didnt send this to one of those weirdos that hasnt listened to everything from bjork. i know about this song and maybe this album being about divorce and stuff. i would say that doesn't really soak into the lyrical content directly. the thing about bjork is that like her songs are always about something but they're also bjork stuff. i'm listening to this song and thinking "ok i see your angle... but i'm fishing the forgiveness out of a shallow lake of bjork stuff."

regardless, the core ideas are there and the chorus does a great job. a lot of time is spent hemming and hawing, as well as gurgling and incubating. the title phrase (and the variations on it) argue about the limited capacity we have to absolve each other, and you could kind of take the big bouncy feeling of the phrase to be either said spitefully to a partner seeking validation they can't have, or said reassuringly to someone trying a bit too hard.

feeling pink ball here even though there's like 6000 people that could have submitted this.
Spoiler: 19th: skygazer

enjoyment: 5.6 (4.3/5)
catfit: 1.5
guess: aristophanes. not letting another one get past me
submitter: skygazer????? ok no problem
medals / ICs: post-pursuit of happiness by kid cudi

forgiveness serves as a fun little guiding idea for how to read the song, but it's hard to find it other than as like a little aftertaste and/or faint mood of some of the lyrics. maybe i would articulate it as "anything bad that happens to me is forgiven by the fact that i sought it all out in the pursuit of happiness"; it resonates in that way especially in that bittersweet "i'll be fine once i get it, i'll be good" line which has some bonus vocal harmony compared to the original (i think). but idk, the actual act of forgiving is more or less missing.

good instrumentalism. i haven't listened to the original in a while but there is now this strict minimum of 4.3/5 for how much i have to like it.

Spoiler: 20th: chickadee

enjoyment: 5.6 (4.3/5)
catfit: 1.3
guess: cdb?
submitter: chickadee ah dang... dang...
medals / ICs:

the classic male indie girl. the way you know what you're in for as soon as he's like i'm really sorry stevunnn. i like the vocal harmony. it doesn't reeeally get at the forgiveness aspect of the apology paradigm. ok i seem to be losing my ability to say anything normally. sorry we're touching on a certain aspect of the late-in-the-list song paradigm.

Spoiler: 21st: wgeurts

enjoyment: 4.9 (3.9+/5)
catfit: 1.7
guess: infinity also because i somehow havent written the myet
submitter: ahh.... gurts
medals / ICs:
genre: post-office

this is specifically an act of apologizing which is, you know, the counterpart to forgiving. he mentions forgiveness towards the end and talks about it a little bit. he drops the f bomb so to speak. and that's all the song is, which i admire a little bit, but i guess i would say there's not much this song accomplishes by being a song instead of a handwritten letter. the guitar is pretty good.

Spoiler: 22nd: tris

enjoyment: 5.4 (4.2/5)
catfit: 1.1
guess: throwing out tris bc i didnt guess her idky why
submitter: ok awesome -0.1 wait sorry
medals / ICs:
genre: singer/songwriter (where the slash is pronounced as "or")

if not for the name of the song and the three moments where she says it i would struggle to pull the idea of forgiveness out of this song, or really almost anything. she gets really busy with them metaphors. i can sort of see how the lyrics trace out a protracted argument and the feeling of trying to come out ahead of it. and it's kind of there in the guitar. it just feels like a lot of work to get there and not a whole lot of insight i guess.
Spoiler: 23rd: pink ball

enjoyment: 4.1 (3.5+/5)
catfit: 1.6
guess: ceejayvinoya
submitter: pink bink sorry
medals / ICs:

the problem is how i just don't really like eminem. most of the enjoyment comes from the stinky little piano which has its charm, and the choruses are kind of good. the subject matter is fairly apt, like he's talking about the whole deal with his mom and whatever. it's funny that eminem eventually just kinda did this angry frantic delivery with like everything, because it ought to have a certain candor for this song and it sort of does, like he's angrily reckoning with the situation his mom put him in, but it also doesn't help that thats just his normal voice

Spoiler: 24th: deathrowkitty

enjoyment: 3.8 (3.4/5)
catfit: 1.4
guess: deathrowkitty...........?
submitter: srry -0.1
medals / ICs:
genre:

there's a sort of ..... like ..... modern drama pop piano that i rarely seem to like. its hard to place what the key trait is, but there's a very simple and sorrowful and maybe overwrought piano as well as general instrumental accompaniment that feels like it's actively trying to convince me there's nothing really unique or noteworthy about this song. a bunch of the final fantasy songs from last walrus were like that. lol. i have to look up the lyrics to it as a supplement bc i keep noticing that i wasn't paying attention to them. yeah this is about forgiveness but none of the catfit points come from this really resonating with me. But her voice is good. sorry about my cruelness

Spoiler: listening order (very approximately...)
Last edited by schadd_ on Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #220 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:37 pm

Post by schadd_ »

• this category was the last one i came up with and i would say i was in a bit of a delirium during most of the scoring process... so you'll have to forgive me for some under-reasoned results. like if your song got a weird score you can be like "oh scores were weird this time." granted, there was a pretty strong tendency towards the mean
  • stinkycheesedan narrowly misses the panzerjager award by virtue of having gotten 20th last time. also, there are two people that may laugh in delight upon noticing that danny has the most enjoyment points
  • i accidentally pasted over invisibility's song with a revision from mushshagana, so i listened to it and scored it after the reveal. the song i scored at 6th place is the correct one and the 17th place one is the other one.... Isnt that right mushshagana.....
  • aisa tragically stands as the one with the most points lost from unfamiliarity at 1.6, suffering from sending me songs that i already liked but mostly forgot about...
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #221 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:39 pm

Post by schadd_ »

i'm taking next weekend off, so cat 3 will show in (expired on 2023-08-19 17:00:00), at 5pm central time on august 19th. i kind of expect to give some low catfit scores. :smiling_imp:
free darius mccollum

schadd_
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
schadd_
he/it
pandora's pukebox
pandora's pukebox

Post Post #222 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:57 pm

Post by schadd_ »

TWO INVISIBLE CATS HAVE CHOSEN TO REVEAL THEMSELVES THIS DAY!
like killing of a sacred deer
:
0.9 pts
/ -0.9 pts / 0.9 pts / 1.0 pts
:arrow_right_hook: this is approximately my favorite movie. while the lyrical content of the korn song is tangentially related to the movie, i felt the commonalities lie in how the movie tries to thoroughly depict certain emotional responses and maladaptive traits past the point of being comfortable, or reflecting favorably on the filmmakers and viewers. i guess it is not easy to explain well.
songs that my keys would like
:
0.3 pts
/ 0.7 pts / 0.3 pts
:arrow_right_hook: original inspiration is i won't be found
free darius mccollum

MUSHSHAGANA
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
MUSHSHAGANA
IT/ITS
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: IT/ITS
Location: Everett-Wheeler Branch Q-5992-CLF3, Third Mouth of the Worm

Post Post #223 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:28 pm

Post by MUSHSHAGANA »

In post 220, schadd_ wrote:
  • this category was the last one i came up with and i would say i was in a bit of a delirium during most of the scoring process... so you'll have to forgive me for some under-reasoned results. like if your song got a weird score you can be like "oh scores were weird this time." granted, there was a pretty strong tendency towards the mean
  • stinkycheesedan narrowly misses the panzerjager award by virtue of having gotten 20th last time. also, there are two people that may laugh in delight upon noticing that danny has the most enjoyment points
  • i accidentally pasted over invisibility's song with a revision from mushshagana, so i listened to it and scored it after the reveal. the song i scored at 6th place is the correct one and the 17th place one is the other one.... Isnt that right mushshagana.....
  • aisa tragically stands as the one with the most points lost from unfamiliarity at 1.6, suffering from sending me songs that i already liked but mostly forgot about...
Look. I actually really think that Black Rot is a better option here. It's literally about both forgiving someone and not forgiving someone else, who just kind of happen to share a body. I also think that Gloom is the better band musically!

Anyway I realized after the reveal started that I should have sent this song instead of EITHER of those.

199-member plural system. We kinda exploded. We'll sign if we switch, but it's a host-centric setup round here now.

It/its pronouns only.
DeathRowKitty
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
DeathRowKitty
she
Frog
Frog

Post Post #224 (ISO) » Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:00 pm

Post by DeathRowKitty »

this puts me in very serious contention for overall last place and i am unironically a fan of this development

Return to “Sens-O-Tape Archive”