Newbie 997 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
theguide730
theguide730
Goon
theguide730
Goon
Goon

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:01 pm

Post by theguide730 »

nurC wrote:
theguide wrote:How much experience do y'all have with mafia?
Second game on this forum. Ive played IRL but you can't really compare the two...
True, but playing irl gives you experience with the rules. Its not much, but it helps to a degree.
theguide730
theguide730
Goon
theguide730
Goon
Goon

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:04 pm

Post by theguide730 »

/Unvote

Vote: Chosen

Bandwagon gogogo!!!!
FEMM the Attorney
FEMM the Attorney
Goon
FEMM the Attorney
Goon
Goon

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:14 pm

Post by FEMM the Attorney »

/Confirm~
To answer the question of theguide (Uh, can I call you TG for short next time? ^^), I have played four games here (one ongoing) and a few on another forum.
lol, I always get RVS'd for the attorney name.
"Lolpats. It's like lolcats. But pattier." - My friend.
ChosenSoul
ChosenSoul
Townie
ChosenSoul
Townie
Townie

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:49 am

Post by ChosenSoul »

@theguide: care to give an explanation for your vote?
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:25 am

Post by MichelSableheart »

guide wrote:So, I take it you (Michel) would be opposed to a completely random early day bandwagon?
If players feel that it is the best way they have available to get a feel for who is scum, they are free to participate in a random bandwagon. Personally, I won't join a random bandwagon (though I might join one if I can see reasons to believe the player being bandwagoned is more likely scum) because I feel there are better methods of scumhunting available.

@nurC: Why would you vote randomly if there is game related information available? Do you believe that your vote for FEMM will help you catch scum more then any other action you could possibly take?

@Krieger: an OMGUS vote is a scumtell if it's made with the intention of discouraging people to vote for you. However, it is quite a natural reaction for a pro-town player to go "they're voting for a pro-town player! they must be scum!". Why do you disbelieve Chosen's claim that he didn't take your vote into account, and why do you believe that his vote is an example of the first type of OMGUS rather then the second?

I'm going to
Vote: Dekes
. Where most other players who have posted after my previous post have taken actions that could be considered scumhunting in some way, he decided to actually wait for the official start of the game. That is a very poor use of the time we have available, and makes it more difficult for us to get a read on him. As such, the conscious decission not to take action is more likely to be taken by scum then by town.
There is no 'a' in Michel.
Krieger
Krieger
Goon
Krieger
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:00 am

Post by Krieger »

@theguide: reasoning behind the hasty bandwagoning?

@michel: actually I commented and then reread the post and noticed that he said it WASN'T an OMGUS vote. I just left my vote where it was because it's still the RVS stage.

However, how can you assume he is a pro-town player when he has not said anything one way or another?

where is SilentKev?
I before E except after C. krieger, not kreiger!
FEMM the Attorney
FEMM the Attorney
Goon
FEMM the Attorney
Goon
Goon

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:09 am

I disagree, Michel. I think he (Dekes) was waiting for the mod to announce the start of the day. Wouldn't it be good to wait for the mod's approval to actually start playing? Maybe it could slide if everyone hd confirmed and was present, but we're still missing SilentKev.
I do understand that this could be a good oppurtunity to get a feel of the players, but I thought votes don't count until D1 starts.
FEMM the Attorney
FEMM the Attorney
Goon
FEMM the Attorney
Goon
Goon

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:10 am

*had. Dang typo.
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:23 am

@FEMM: the thread is open, so obviously we are allowed to post there, and the most logical topic to post about is the game. It is possible that the mod decides that votes cast before the official start won't count, but there is no reason to wait for the mods permission before posting something game relevant.

As for SilentKev not being here yet: unfortunately it happens quite often that players go absent. If someone doesn't post for a couple of days in the middle of the game, there is no reason to bog down the game for everyone by waiting for him. Something similar applies here.
Krieger wrote:However, how can you assume he is a pro-town player when he has not said anything one way or another?
7 out of the 9 players in this game are town. This makes it a good idea to look at the possible town motivation behind a certain action. I would like to point out that I compared both the scum motivation and town motivation behind a possible OMGUS vote, and would also like to mention that I'm not sure if I believe Chosen's claim that his vote wasn't motivated by your vote in any way.
ChosenSoul
ChosenSoul
Townie
ChosenSoul
Townie
Townie

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:34 am

Post by ChosenSoul »

@michel: If you look at when the posts were made, you would see that my vote and Krieger's vote were made about two minutes apart from eachother. When I decided to vote, I hadn't even seen Krieger's vote yet.
theguide730
theguide730
Goon
theguide730
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:48 am

Post by theguide730 »

Nobody else wants to vote Chosen? :(
Dekes
Dekes
Mafia Scum
Dekes
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:56 am

Post by Dekes »

@MichelSablheart

Pretty much what FEMM said. Maybe it's because it took a while before the thread finally was created that some people are stimulating a lot of mafia discussion pre-game. But I don't see the point in all those votings since AFAIK the votes don't count before D1 has started, making them virtually useless. Sure, a lot of information can and has been generated and I will go back and look into these posts again if I feel it necessary during the game. But I much rather use the confirmation stage for light conversation and getting to know the people I'm playing with. There's enough time for serious business, i.e. scumhunting once everyone has confirmed and the mod has declared the game free to go.

@Krieger
Gotcha. Are you aware of the meaning of your name?
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:16 am

ChosenSoul wrote:@Michel: I
did see
that he (or she) had voted for me, but I really didn't think much of it.
ChosenSoul wrote:@michel: If you look at when the posts were made, you would see that my vote and Krieger's vote were made about two minutes apart from eachother. When I decided to vote, I
hadn't even seen Krieger's vote
yet.
That seems to be a contradiction. Also, if someone posted between the moment you started writing and the moment you submit, the forum automatically shows you those posts. Explain please.

@Dekes: Yes, a lot of information has been generated, but none of that information generated is due to your actions. You signed up for a game of mafia. Why refuse to play when you have the chance?
Dekes
Dekes
Mafia Scum
Dekes
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:24 am

Post by Dekes »

We obviously have a different perception of the confirmation stage. I signed up for a game of mafia and in my eyes the gama officially begins with D1.

Nice catch on the contradiction though.
ChosenSoul
ChosenSoul
Townie
ChosenSoul
Townie
Townie

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:25 am

Post by ChosenSoul »

@michel: What I mean is, when I had decided that I would vote for Krieger, I had not seen his post. Yes, I saw that he had voted for me after I submitted my post, but I had made the decision before hand. To be completely honest, what took me so long was that I wasn't positive on how to even spell Krueger. All I knew was seeing his name reminded me of that, so I had to search online since I didn't want to misspell it. Would you mind explaining to me, though, why you think my vote for Krieger was a OMGUS vote?
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:58 am

The reason I suspected your vote to be made because she voted you, is that I am comparing the possibility that your vote was motivated by a game related event to the possibility that your vote wasn't significantly motivated at all. The assumption that it was motivated by a game related event is then the far more logical one to make.

Your explanation in your latest post removes a lot of my suspicion though. Having the vote written down before seeing her vote on you is a likely scenario.
nurC
nurC
Goon
nurC
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:16 am

Post by nurC »

I've read a couple of games on here and it seems fairly common to see an apparent OMGUS vote during RVS, it usually doesn't mean much though, so I don't think you should read too much into chosen's actions, to be honest.

But strong play from michel right off the bat, I don't think I've ever seen someone jump into a game with that much fervor before.
inHimshallibe
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
inHimshallibe
SmartyPants
SmartyPants

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:48 am

Post by inHimshallibe »

All but silentkev have confirmed - he will have until Monday after I get home from work to do so. Sending a follow-up PM now.

Votes will be counted; good show to you all for being so productive!

----
Vote Count - Day 1

9 alive; 5 to lynch

ChosenSoul (2) - Krieger, theguide730
Krieger (1) - ChosenSoul
FEMM the Attorney (1) - nurC
Dekes (1) - MichelSableheart

Yet to Vote (4) - Dekes, FEMM the Attorney, a2rudeboy, silentkev

Deadline for Day 1 is September 2 11:59 pm CST. If no majority has been reached by then, no one will be lynched.
Show
"I'm from Indiana. I know what you're thinking: Indiana... Mafia." - Jim Gaffigan

Mod of the continuing World of Warcraft Dungeon Run series
:

Mini 1135 - Mafia in the Deadmines
Mini 1208 - Mafia in the Scarlet Monastery
Krieger
Krieger
Goon
Krieger
Goon
Goon

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:28 pm

Post by Krieger »

@Dekes: Yes, it means warrior, if I have been told correctly...?
I before E except after C. krieger, not kreiger!
MichelSableheart
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
MichelSableheart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:08 am

@Dekes: the mod now has declared the game free to go, so it's time for serious business. Who's scum, and why?
ChosenSoul
ChosenSoul
Townie
ChosenSoul
Townie
Townie

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:43 am

Post by ChosenSoul »

I'm suspecting theguide right now, just because of that seemingly random bandwagon on me that he was trying to start, which he still has not given an explanation for. As for the other scum, I really have no clue at this point.
theguide730
theguide730
Goon
theguide730
Goon
Goon

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:09 pm

Post by theguide730 »

ChosenSoul wrote:I'm suspecting theguide right now, just because of that seemingly random bandwagon on me that he was trying to start, which he still has not given an explanation for. As for the other scum, I really have no clue at this point.
'Bout time someone called me out on that.
Dekes
Dekes
Mafia Scum
Dekes
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:20 pm

Post by Dekes »

MichelSableheart wrote:@Dekes: the mod now has declared the game free to go, so it's time for serious business. Who's scum, and why?
Lol, I like you already. Sure, here, let me give you my detailed well thought-out scum report after almost two pages and a handful of game related posts with half the people not having contributed to the game yet.
The only content of relevance were the discussion about ChosenSoul's allegedly OMGUS vote and whether an OMGUS is a scumtell or not. Plus the little debate about RVS bandwagons. But I disagree with ChosenSoul here. I don't think that bandwagoning for the sake of it is a scumtell. Especially not if the bandwagoner openly admits to do so.

For now I'm gonna go ahead and
Vote: a2rudeboy
for having the shortest post so far. He probably doesn't want us to get a read on him by giving additional information whatsoever.
theguide730
theguide730
Goon
theguide730
Goon
Goon

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:23 pm

Post by theguide730 »

@ Chosen: I'm going to refer you to this:
theguide730 wrote:So, I take it you (Michel) would be opposed to a completely random early day bandwagon?
In the forum where I usually play mafia, its common for townie's to vote together on one of the early votes, in the hopes of getting the mafia to think its safe for them to bandwagon. Its also a convenient way to get the discussion moving out of the RVS stage.

At any rate, I'm going to
/Unvote
. Partly because I think everyone but Kev saw it, but didn't comment. Partly because I was being really transparent with my intentions by asking that question to Michel. I don't think I really fooled anyone, lol.

I'd like to hear what people think of my alignment, based on what I've just said.
ChosenSoul
ChosenSoul
Townie
ChosenSoul
Townie
Townie

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:35 pm

Post by ChosenSoul »

So does the fact that Day 1 has started mean Kev has responded? Or are we still waiting on him?

@theguide: Ah, I see.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”