Newbie 521: Game over, SCUM WINS!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:43 pm

Post by Xtoxm »

I disagree. If we don't lynch scum,
our
doctor is dead that night.
Twister, I think that makes you sound a little suspicious. Sounds like you're pushing to much to sound town-side.

Unvote, vote: Twister
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:45 pm

Post by Xtoxm »

If we lynch a roleblocker and a vanilla townie gets killed, there will only be five people left. If the cop and doc claim and there are no counter-claims, that only leaves 3 suspects for the role of mafia goon. We lynch one to leave only 2 suspects. The doc protects the cop, the cop can investigate one of the remaining two suspects. The doc will most likely be killed, but the cop has found out the last suspect. Case closed.
In this circumstance, the remaining mafia has no choice but to claim cop or doc then. Can't just sit by and let them go through with as you have described.
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:29 pm

Post by Kison »

Twister wrote:Why is everyone so anxious to role claim?
Who is anxious to roleclaim?
Twister wrote:
Sierra
They of course should also claim when we're about to lynch them.
What good will that do? If you're ready to lynch them and they role claim is that going to change your mind or make them seem more scummy? If you're the cop and you think you're going to be lynched and you investigated someone the night before and found scum, then your claim will help the next day, but I doubt it will save your own life.
Role-claiming generally is good practice when you believe your lynch is inevitable. If you happen to have a role, you can feed that information before you're lynched, and it is confirmed by your role being revealed upon death. It's not always about saving yourself. However, role-claiming should be the last card in your hand.

There are, of course, other situations where mass role-claiming can be beneficial, such as end-games.
Twister
Twister
Townie
Twister
Townie
Townie

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:45 pm

Post by Twister »

In this circumstance, the remaining mafia has no choice but to claim cop or doc then. Can't just sit by and let them go through with as you have described.
Wouldn't do any good. It would just make it easier to find the scum. If there are two cops you lynch one on day two, and the other on day three. Same if they claim to be a doc.
Franzie
Franzie
Townie
Franzie
Townie
Townie

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:27 pm

Post by Franzie »

Hey. I probably should've confirmed in here, but that would involve reading. I'm going for a more "shoot from the hip" style of playing. So, in that regard, I've played as many games as there are digits in Pi, and I've won about as many of them are there are digits in Phi.

And
Vote: Kison
for not having any votes on him yet. I know, I don't have any either. I like it better that way.
[i]It's astounding
Time is fleeting
[color=red]Madness[/color]
Takes its toll[/i]
Sierra
Sierra
Goon
Sierra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:40 pm

Post by Sierra »

Hi. You're late.

Unvote: Gordon
if he can call me Maria then I can call him whatever the hell I like :P

Vote: Franzie
Franzie
Franzie
Townie
Franzie
Townie
Townie

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:49 am

Post by Franzie »

Yeah, I didn't expect the game to start so fast, I wasn't exactly checking. Oh well.
[i]It's astounding
Time is fleeting
Takes its toll[/i]
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:12 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Why is this going so slowly, we've been going for well over 24 hours and we're no-where near a lynch. My other game got a lynch within 2 hours of opening.
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Kison
Kison
.GIFted
Kison
.GIFted
.GIFted

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:31 am

Post by Kison »

2 hours? Whoa.
Franzie
Franzie
Townie
Franzie
Townie
Townie

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:34 am

Post by Franzie »

Xtoxm wrote:Why is this going so slowly, we've been going for well over 24 hours and we're no-where near a lynch. My other game got a lynch within 2 hours of opening.
Umm, yeah whoa. Was it a scum, or just a random quicklynch gone bad?
[i]It's astounding
Time is fleeting
Takes its toll[/i]
Godot
Godot
Townie
Godot
Townie
Townie

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:46 am

Post by Godot »

Xtoxm wrote:Why is this going so slowly, we've been going for well over 24 hours and we're no-where near a lynch. My other game got a lynch within 2 hours of opening.
I've never seen a game played so fast. I was informed that in a newbie game the average day 1 lynch is on page 7. My brother is in the middle of a game that is on page 49. I doubt that this game will be as fast as yours.

Which is gonna be a hassle, I drink only 17 cups of coffee in the duration of a day. I might need to make these last.
Godot
Godot
Townie
Godot
Townie
Townie

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:49 am

Post by Godot »

I took the liberty of doing a meta on you (that is, when you look at their game play in other games, right?) and it seems that you haven't even played another game. I believe that with the way you worded your question you were referring to this forum
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:06 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Godot: No, I was refering to another forum. I could link you but that would be useless as it is a private forum and you wouldn't see anything. (This is how I found mafia and searched for this).

Franzie: It was everyone placed their vote, they were split 4-2-1. The victim was a townie, so perhaps it was not too thoroughly thought about...but I assumed all games would go something a bit like that. I think that pushing at 2 real days while we are still on day one is a bit overdoing it though.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:07 am

Post by Xtoxm »

I refered to "my other game" as such, as it is the only other mafia game I have played ever. (It's not finished yet, and could go either way.)
Franzie
Franzie
Townie
Franzie
Townie
Townie

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:02 am

Post by Franzie »

Xtoxm wrote:Franzie: It was everyone placed their vote, they were split 4-2-1. The victim was a townie, so perhaps it was not too thoroughly thought about...but I assumed all games would go something a bit like that. I think that pushing at 2 real days while we are still on day one is a bit overdoing it though.
Random voting got someone to a lynch? As you can see...that's a bad idea. Overthinking it can be bad too, as my last game took just over a month to finish the first day. We do need to push it a bit, because I think a month is WAY too long, but putting an artificial deadline only helps scum.

That said, I had thought we were still in the jokevote stage when Sierra voted me...which might be what she was doing, but psychologically speaking, the players that change their votes the most often tend to be scum. xtoxm has also already changed his vote within 24 hours of starting.
[i]It's astounding
Time is fleeting
Takes its toll[/i]
Thok
Thok
Disgrace to SKs everywhere
Thok

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:24 am

Post by Thok »

Xtoxm wrote:Godot: No, I was refering to another forum. I could link you but that would be useless as it is a private forum and you wouldn't see anything. (This is how I found mafia and searched for this).

Franzie: It was everyone placed their vote, they were split 4-2-1. The victim was a townie, so perhaps it was not too thoroughly thought about...but I assumed all games would go something a bit like that. I think that pushing at 2 real days while we are still on day one is a bit overdoing it though.
You might try taking a look at a couple of other day 1's in newbies here to get a feel for the page length/time commitment. (Also, theoretically the point of day 1 is to get more information to help find scum on later days although with the extra power roles that may be less important in this set up.)

You also need to realize that you are playing with a different crowd of people, and that some players here have jobs and stuff and aren't on the internet 24/7, which slows down the rate of posting somewhat.

unvote
as I'm getting an inexperienced town vibe from you rather than an inexperienced scum vibe.
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
Sierra
Sierra
Goon
Sierra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:27 pm

Post by Sierra »

@Franzie: you're right, it was not a serious vote. Judging by your post and Thok's post, you guys are ready to take it further than random voting. I don't see much to go on for an actual vote though. I'll
unvote: Franzie
anyway.

The only serious accusation I see so far is this:
Xtoxm wrote:
I disagree. If we don't lynch scum,
our
doctor is dead that night.
Twister, I think that makes you sound a little suspicious. Sounds like you're pushing to much to sound town-side.

Unvote, vote: Twister
I'll second that scum sometimes explicitely use words like "we" and "us" to make them sound town, but I've also seen townies talk like that. Some people always talk like that, whether they're town or scum. It's not reason enough for me to place my vote on Twister at this point.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:24 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Franzie wrote:
Xtoxm wrote:Franzie: It was everyone placed their vote, they were split 4-2-1. The victim was a townie, so perhaps it was not too thoroughly thought about...but I assumed all games would go something a bit like that. I think that pushing at 2 real days while we are still on day one is a bit overdoing it though.
Random voting got someone to a lynch? As you can see...that's a bad idea. Overthinking it can be bad too, as my last game took just over a month to finish the first day. We do need to push it a bit, because I think a month is WAY too long, but putting an artificial deadline only helps scum.

That said, I had thought we were still in the jokevote stage when Sierra voted me...which might be what she was doing, but psychologically speaking, the players that change their votes the most often tend to be scum. xtoxm has also already changed his vote within 24 hours of starting.
I swapped my vote from joke vote to serious vote.

Do other ppl wanna place votes then???
Franzie
Franzie
Townie
Franzie
Townie
Townie

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:17 am

Post by Franzie »

Xtoxm wrote:I swapped my vote from joke vote to serious vote.

I see you said that he "sounds a little suspicious." Can you expand on that a little bit? I, for one, agree with a lot of what Twister has said so far. First, it is of utmost importance to lynch a scum today. If we end up down two townies - with a decent chance that one of them will be a power role - then we'll be seriously hurting come day two. That said, I feel that it is
very
important that NO townies claim today, even vanilla townies. By claiming vanilla, you're narrowing down the advantageous targets that the scum have by one, increasing their chances of hitting someone that we need overnight. I haven't put too much thought into claiming on day 2 yet, but it should only be done after some serious contemplation. Town members have to play very carefully in a setup like this, because of the roleblocker power that the scum have. And counter-claiming is an ugly situation, in case nobody's ever seen it before. I think it's reasonable to assume that people who come straight out and claim as the first thing they do on Day 2 are scum. But hey, that's just me.

I want to do a meta on our mod later, to see if he's prone to putting deadlines in his games. This one is going fairly slowly, and having a deadline placed on our game (especially at this point when almost no discussion has happened) would be fatal to the town.

Unvote
for now, and in response to the pressure Xtoxm is trying to put on the game,
Vote: Xtoxm
. Pressure to vote can sometimes help, but rushing a first-day discussion doesn't seem too much like a good idea.
[i]It's astounding
Time is fleeting
Takes its toll[/i]
Franzie
Franzie
Townie
Franzie
Townie
Townie

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:28 am

Post by Franzie »

Besides an awesome avatar and a penchant for saying amusing things (such as x votes needed to make 'em swing as opposed to x votes needed to lynch - which I thought was bland anyway) I can't get anything. So, carry on, um, not posting, everyone.
[i]It's astounding
Time is fleeting
Takes its toll[/i]
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:52 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Franzie wrote:
Xtoxm wrote:I swapped my vote from joke vote to serious vote.

I see you said that he "sounds a little suspicious." Can you expand on that a little bit? I, for one, agree with a lot of what Twister has said so far. First, it is of utmost importance to lynch a scum today. If we end up down two townies - with a decent chance that one of them will be a power role - then we'll be seriously hurting come day two. That said, I feel that it is
very
important that NO townies claim today, even vanilla townies. By claiming vanilla, you're narrowing down the advantageous targets that the scum have by one, increasing their chances of hitting someone that we need overnight. I haven't put too much thought into claiming on day 2 yet, but it should only be done after some serious contemplation. Town members have to play very carefully in a setup like this, because of the roleblocker power that the scum have. And counter-claiming is an ugly situation, in case nobody's ever seen it before. I think it's reasonable to assume that people who come straight out and claim as the first thing they do on Day 2 are scum. But hey, that's just me.

I want to do a meta on our mod later, to see if he's prone to putting deadlines in his games. This one is going fairly slowly, and having a deadline placed on our game (especially at this point when almost no discussion has happened) would be fatal to the town.

Unvote
for now, and in response to the pressure Xtoxm is trying to put on the game,
Vote: Xtoxm
. Pressure to vote can sometimes help, but rushing a first-day discussion doesn't seem too much like a good idea.
Thankyou for actaully voting!!!!!! (even if it is for me lol!)

Can other people please place their votes now to I am getting bored with waiting already!!
Godot
Godot
Townie
Godot
Townie
Townie

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:17 am

Post by Godot »

Your enthusiasm over a post that has only repeated what has been previously stated is a startle.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:55 am

Post by Xtoxm »

what?
Godot
Godot
Townie
Godot
Townie
Townie

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:45 am

Post by Godot »

Why were you say happy that someone voted? Especially since that vote was for you.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:48 am

Post by Xtoxm »

Godot wrote:Why were you say happy that someone voted? Especially since that vote was for you.
Because someone has actually bothered to place their serious vote other than me, this long after the game started.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”