New Rule: Replace the Word "Lynch" in Games

This forum is for Administrators to post news concerning the site and forums.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:50 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 19, Alisae wrote:Either way, I hate this change.
lmbo
green shirt thursdays
Firefly7
Firefly7
Goon
Firefly7
Goon
Goon

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:50 am

Post by Firefly7 »

My home site started using "Condemn" (to the guillotine) as a replacement and i think it works well
the forum only exists to add lore to the wiki
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:51 am

Post by Ythan »

Good job mods.
Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion
Pronoun: He or She. Idc.

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:51 am

Post by Elsa Jay »

This feels... Weird. Like a word being taken out of the dictionary because some people didn't like it. The word 'bitch' still also means a female dog despite its other meaning. I don't get why people are trying to take away the reference to the trials held back in the day because some other fuckwits also used it for other means.

Lynch on Mafiascum would never be associated with the other deeds done to racial groups. Words exist to a community like language. It doesn't mean anything racist here, so why should it be banned? It's like banning Spanish in a Hispanic community because it makes people not feel included. It's stupid.
I made a GTKAS. Go shitpost in it if you want. It's very lonely.

"Even when I leave mafia and play an entirely different game I can't escape you you menace." - North/Wenya
PenguinPower
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
PenguinPower
He/Him
.peng
.peng
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:52 am

Post by PenguinPower »

In post 22, T-Bone wrote:E-2, E-1, E-X?

For MyLo and LyLo, I am personally going to use MeLo and EyLo, because I still like those short hand terms.

Penguin is going to amend the Newbie queue with elimination based terms, if he hasn't already done so by the time I post this.
It's been amended.
<(") | (")>
Nexus
Nexus
He
miss
Nexus
He
miss
miss
Pronoun: He

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:52 am

Post by Nexus »

In post 28, Elsa Jay wrote:It's like banning Spanish in a Hispanic community because it makes people not feel included.
I mean, it isn't.
Trans rights are human rights.
Alisae
Alisae
lolbalance
Alisae
lolbalance
lolbalance

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:54 am

Post by Alisae »

In post 21, zoraster wrote:I'm not sure that the mods other than maybe Penguin with newbies have made any rules regarding Lylo, Mylo, L-X, etc. that are abbreviations for lynch yet, but specifically L-X is easily replaceable with E-X if you want to be consistent right now.
i feel stupid for not thinking of this
GTKAS
| here.
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:00 am

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

In post 28, Elsa Jay wrote:This feels... Weird. Like a word being taken out of the dictionary because some people didn't like it. The word 'bitch' still also means a female dog despite its other meaning. I don't get why people are trying to take away the reference to the trials held back in the day because some other fuckwits also used it for other means.

Lynch on Mafiascum would never be associated with the other deeds done to racial groups. Words exist to a community like language. It doesn't mean anything racist here, so why should it be banned? It's like banning Spanish in a Hispanic community because it makes people not feel included. It's stupid.
Exactly. Context matters. The admin team seems out of touch with its users on this one, feeling a sense of responsibility for events beyond their scope.

We're a community with a specific culture, terminology, and understanding, our own humor, etc.

I would appreciate if there was an explanation of a history of racism on mafiascum that spawned this infringement on free speech. Help me understand if this site has been a bastion of white supremacy or something without my knowing.

As an ethnic minority, I'm insulted by overblown abuses of power that are ostensibly for mutual respect but end up just being an attempt to destroy a respectful, humorous and stylised internet culture based around forums, a form of communication that is antiquated and dates back to a time where strangers had complete freedom outside of the taboos and social pressures of religion, government, higher education, and other authorities.
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
Something_Smart
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Something_Smart
He/him
Somewhat_Balanced
Somewhat_Balanced
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:01 am

Post by Something_Smart »

In post 23, Albert B. Rampage wrote:I think it's a clumsy administration move, personally.
I actually disagree with this, I think it's a pretty brave move to tell an established community that they can't use one of their most common pieces of jargon. They wouldn't do that unless they really felt it was important. And it obviously is important.

After thinking a bit over the ramifications, I think I will continue to use "lylo" and "mylo" but spell them lowercase, rather than uppercase as I have been, to indicate that they are words in their own right, and not acronyms for anything. I have no strong objection to E-X but I think using L-X (short for eLimination) is fine as well.

As for replacing the term itself, I think the best option is probably "hammer" as it's a word already in our lexicon that means pretty much exactly the same thing. I don't expect there to be much confusion over whether the term "hammer" refers to the act of eliminating a player or the vote that eliminates the player.
It's always the same. When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die. You don't know whose children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they're always going to have to do from the very beginning... SIT DOWN AND TALK!
Ythan
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Ythan
She
Welcome to the Haystack
Welcome to the Haystack
Pronoun: She

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:02 am

Post by Ythan »

I just want merch I can wear in public.
panthaleon
panthaleon
Goon
panthaleon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:04 am

Post by panthaleon »

This is a good change. Nice work mods
Reformed boy - just trying my best

both I and the mod team know where we stand regarding the plight of the palestinian people. proud to be a mafiascum member!
Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:04 am

Post by Elsa Jay »

The site isn't "public". Sure make different merch but that's something different.
Blair
Blair
Mafia Scum
Blair
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:08 am

Post by Blair »

I tend to agree with Albert (for once :shifty: ), lynch isn't used in a racially charged way in Mafia and I firmly believe 0% of the players and moderators whom are reluctant to change their vernacular are clinging to racist motives for doing so.

That said, this change doesn't meaningfully impact anything (which is also a reason to question it, but I can't conjure the energy), so I won't dispute it.

My ruleset carries ten instances of the term "lynch" so I shall oblige. Henceforth, all instances of "living players" shall be recoined "woke players" and all instances of "has been lynched" shall be recoined "has been canceled." :wink:
“There is nothing so dangerous for anyone who has something to hide as conversation! A human being [...] cannot resist the opportunity to reveal himself and express his personality which conversation gives him. Every time he will give himself away.” -Hercule Poirot
Battle Mage
Battle Mage
Jester
Battle Mage
Jester
Jester

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:08 am

Post by Battle Mage »

good move, although will take a bit of getting used to! Maybe we could just removing the killing altogether and say:

"Player X fled"?
Show
2020 Stats - 31 completed games:

Survived to the end and won - 11
Nightkilled - 10
Survived to the end and lost - 6
Day-elimmed by majority - 4

winrate as scum: 78%
winrate as town: 55%
Firebringer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Firebringer
Trail Blazer
Trail Blazer

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:09 am

Post by Firebringer »

so apparently there is a coordination going on in mafia communities to just ban the word.

Is the mafia illuminati trying to take away my rope!?
Show
"You are the Joker of mafia players" - Oversoul
"last time I was scum with Firebringer
his first post in the scum PT was "yes I rolled scum!"
I decided to post "haha just don't post that in the main thread", but to get up to date on the main thread first.

His first post in the main thread was "yes I rolled scum!" -popsofctown
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:09 am

In post 33, Something_Smart wrote:I think it's a pretty brave move to tell an established community that they can't use one of their most common pieces of jargon
Acting out of fear isn't brave. The fear of being perceived as racist should be tempered by an open and accepting community of people who gather around for a hobby, outside of political and cultural clashes.

This is really the same thing as religious people's fear of being perceived as sinful in our parents and grandparents culture, so they would tell their gay kids to pretend to be straight or talk and behave a certain way because being themselves was forbidden lest everyone in the family be perceived as "sinful".

This isn't so much of the NFL kneeling as the communist party burning books, if we're talking about metaphors. Even though the books may be imperfect, acting against it through power sends an authoritarian signal.
Last edited by Albert B. Rampage on Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
Annadog40
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Annadog40
Owl of the Night Chat
Owl of the Night Chat

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:10 am

Post by Annadog40 »

In post 38, Battle Mage wrote:good move, although will take a bit of getting used to! Maybe we could just removing the killing altogether and say:

"Player X fled"?
lore wise, i'd be incentivized to get voted up since I wouldn't risk death unlike with the mafia.
This is my life now

Once you have 100 posts, click here to go to the page to join the speakeasy group.
panthaleon
panthaleon
Goon
panthaleon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:10 am

Post by panthaleon »

For the record, Oregon has had at least the public lynchings in the last few weeks, and a couple in California as well. It's a gross word with a gross history, and special kudos to administration for opening themselves up to the nasty comments they will receive for doing so

both I and the mod team know where we stand regarding the plight of the palestinian people. proud to be a mafiascum member!
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:10 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

In post 28, Elsa Jay wrote:This feels... Weird. Like a word being taken out of the dictionary because some people didn't like it. The word 'bitch' still also means a female dog despite its other meaning. I don't get why people are trying to take away the reference to the trials held back in the day because some other fuckwits also used it for other means.

as someone who has been out in public with scummers at a meet while they played mafia and loudly talked about lynching each other and have had to plead with them to stop because people around us were concerned -- it has racist connotations regardless of where it's being said

this is a public site. people may stumble upon it and have the wrong idea of what we do here because to most people, the word lynch doesn't mean a silly thing in a mafia game. it means something far darker and far worse with awful connotations. any move the mod team can make to erase a harmful word and encourage new vernacular that is less potentially damaging to people is a good one.
green shirt thursdays
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:12 am

There are no harmful words, only people with harmful intentions.
Ircher
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
Ircher
He / Him / His
What A Grand Idea
What A Grand Idea
Pronoun: He / Him / His

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:12 am

Post by Ircher »

Execution I feel is an appropriate replacement.

Like many others, I don't think this change is needed or necessary based on how established it is here. As in, I doubt that anyone formally complained about the usage of the word. That said, I do think it's ultimately a change for the better and understand why it has been made.
Links: User Page | GTKAS
Do you have questions, ideas, or feedback for the Scummies? Please pm me!
Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:13 am

Post by Ginngie »

In post 32, Albert B. Rampage wrote:The admin team seems out of touch with its users on this one,
said by ABR
Shoutout to PJ and Nahdia for making my amazing new avi :)

Following the previous dozen pages that cropped up in the last 10 hours I would like to congratulate Ginngie for being drunk with distinction. - Vi
panthaleon
panthaleon
Goon
panthaleon
Goon
Goon

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:13 am

Post by panthaleon »

I'm also happy for the people of color who might have otherwise been put off my the candor with which we use traditionally racialized violence as part of a game :)

Ginngie
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Ginngie
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:13 am

Post by Ginngie »

In post 44, Albert B. Rampage wrote:There are no harmful words, only people with harmful intentions.
guys I'm 14 and this is deep
Shoutout to PJ and Nahdia for making my amazing new avi :)

Following the previous dozen pages that cropped up in the last 10 hours I would like to congratulate Ginngie for being drunk with distinction. - Vi
Elsa Jay
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Elsa Jay
He or She. Idc.
Chaos and Confusion
Chaos and Confusion

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:13 am

Post by Elsa Jay »

In post 42, panthaleon wrote:For the record, Oregon has had at least the public lynchings in the last few weeks, and a couple in California as well. It's a gross word with a gross history, and special kudos to administration for opening themselves up to the nasty comments they will receive for doing so
I'm not gonna look into this but that seems to be something you... You know, go to your governor/senator/mayor about? That seems to be a bigger protest issue imo.

Return to “News”