Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #275 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 6:21 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 273, Nahdia wrote:Wait, so it technically didn't count as mylo because of the ship? So I could of just used my Gladiate/2D plan..?
Dunno if it technically counted as mylo. Because scum had the triple vote, they *did* have enough votes to force a lynch...that's all I know for certain.

Also, honestly...Technically, the consortium never controlled majority votes in all dimensions, because A, though empty, was still there, and they controlled no votes there(and a single town flying over there would have made it so they didn't control a majority of votes there). And the space protagonists weren't dead. So yeah. Again. This is the source of my irritation. We should stop talking about it though, because I had just gotten over it.
GTK a me, currently live, this may be your only chance!
viewtopic.php?f=61&t=78521&p=10688009#p10688009
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #276 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 6:24 am

Post by Varsoon »

If there's no players in a dimension at all, scum is considered to having a majority vote.
I suppose I should have been painfully specific and written "When your faction controls a majority vote in all dimensions with living players in them."
SugarJan
SugarJan
Townie
SugarJan
Townie
Townie

Post Post #277 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 6:28 am

Post by SugarJan »

Hah the Hastur and Muriel post was me. I opposite hydra slipped XD
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #278 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 6:32 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 276, Varsoon wrote:If there's no players in a dimension at all, scum is considered to having a majority vote.
I suppose I should have been painfully specific and written "When your faction controls a majority vote in all dimensions with living players in them."
Lack of specificity in win cons will forever taint my SF win, so yeah. Better to err on the side of caution.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #279 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 6:37 am

Post by Varsoon »

I'll make sure that the Bloodborne wincons are dreadfully specific to the point of being multiple paragraphs long.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #280 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 6:37 am

Post by Varsoon »

If it doesn't read like a legal document, someone will fuck it up.
Xkfyu
Xkfyu
Mafia Scum
Xkfyu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #281 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 7:07 am

Post by Xkfyu »

In post 280, Varsoon wrote:If it doesn't read like a legal document, someone will fuck it up.
If it does read like a legal document, someone won't read it and will fuck it up.
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #282 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 7:51 am

Post by Elbirn »

In post 270, Varsoon wrote:
In post 265, SirCakez wrote:*prays not to be lynched day 1 again*
Oh yeah - was there actually a Boobies Breastaurant hood thread made?
Nope. It's a dang Space Dandy game and no one went to BooBies.
Trivia FunFact, I at one point, believing that the best the scum team would do was tie (and probably lose) secretly confided in Varsoon a plan to screw my team, do a one man dance party to win 100 million woolongs, then no lynch dimension A every day while going to boobies every night until I won what was intended to be an impossible 3p win condition (get 30 boobies card points or whatever)

Varsoon merely seemed annoyed and told me "No."
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #283 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 7:54 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

In post 282, Elbirn wrote:
Trivia FunFact, I at one point, believing that the best the scum team would do was tie (and probably lose) secretly confided in Varsoon a plan to screw my team, do a one man dance party to win 100 million woolongs, then no lynch dimension A every day while going to boobies every night until I won what was intended to be an impossible 3p win condition (get 30 boobies card points or whatever)

:) if you ever read our whole pt, you'll see Drixx and I were afraid of just that....that if scum ever ended up alone with the ship, the best town could ever do would be a draw/individual win for one member of the scum team.
3dicerolling
3dicerolling
Mafia Scum
3dicerolling
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #284 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 8:21 am

Post by 3dicerolling »

In post 281, Xkfyu wrote:
In post 280, Varsoon wrote:If it doesn't read like a legal document, someone will fuck it up.
If it does read like a legal document, someone won't read it and will fuck it up.
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #285 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 8:24 am

Post by Elbirn »

In post 283, Cerberus v666 wrote:
In post 282, Elbirn wrote:

:) if you ever read our whole pt, you'll see Drixx and I were afraid of just that....that if scum ever ended up alone with the ship, the best town could ever do would be a draw/individual win for one member of the scum team.
I was very sad to learn that one man does not a dance party make, and that I couldn't no lynch my dimension if I was the only one there (as the ship counts as a slot, and can't vote no lynch)

Fortunately it didn't come to that, tho the temptation to be a mega-bastard would have been immense
Drixx
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Drixx
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #286 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 8:31 am

Post by Drixx »

In post 255, Xkfyu wrote:
In post 252, Varsoon wrote:"I have the money, I want that weapon, it'll help me out because I know I am town, I should get it so it doesn't fall into scum hands."
This is exactly what I was thinking in this game about the Code D item, and why I was pushing so hard for us to lynch before the other dimension in D1. That item would have been pretty powerful for me, given my unlynchable status.
In post 256, Xkfyu wrote:Lol never mind. I forgot that you were still counted as a dead player. The unlynchable status wouldn't have mattered, but still needed to be in town's hands.
Be glad you didn't buy it mate. It
really
wasn't worth the trouble.
Given that you actually literally helped the scum team avoid mistakes, one would think you would
NOT
mock someone trying to give you help.
Get to know a Drixx - Recently Updated!
Cerberus v666
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Cerberus v666
Let's Be Reasonable
Let's Be Reasonable

Post Post #287 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 8:32 am

Post by Cerberus v666 »

So make it like a legal document, so it's their fault for not reading it, not your fault for not including it..:D
SirCakez
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
SirCakez
he/him
Is A Lie
Is A Lie
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #288 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 8:38 am

Post by SirCakez »

I can just imagine one of those pop up boxes with a "click here if you have understand and read the above" button .
Brian Skies - "
I just wanna say Cakez is an evil mod and this is an evil setup.
"

--------------------
Get to know a Cakez!
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade
Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #289 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 8:40 am

Post by Nahdia »

"By confirming your role PM, you confirm that you have read and understood all terms and conditions listed under your alignment's win condition."
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

"I’m going to harness love for epidemiological purposes."
-Zaphkael, 2020
Xkfyu
Xkfyu
Mafia Scum
Xkfyu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #290 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 8:47 am

Post by Xkfyu »

In post 287, Cerberus v666 wrote:So make it like a legal document, so it's their fault for not reading it, not your fault for not including it..:D
This is true.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #291 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 8:54 am

Post by Varsoon »

I've already said it once and I'll say it again--I messed up and should not have reminded anyone of the public information that was available to them, especially when unprompted to do so. In trying to make sure that players understood the information they were entitled to, I made a mistake. I own that.

My frustration comes from my own failure to properly express how things function within my game. It feels as though, no matter the simplicity or precision taken in writing up everything, someone will inevitably misinterpret some aspect of the setup. This isn't a judgment on anyone other than me. It's my duty as a moderator to make sure that the rules are clear. As the previous mistake I made proves--it's problematic to remind players of even basic public aspects of the setup or of the player's own role because doing so could lead to an arguably unfair advantage.

It's for this reason that I brought you on-board to help on Bloodborne, Drixx. I want to make sure all of my language and formatting is simple and clear and can't be misunderstood. I also know that you have a knack for taking games to the far logical/mechanical ends--this runs contrary to my rhetoric-focused approach to games and so, your input in invaluable to me because, as a player, I would not spend the time to think of how to break a certain combination of items to the point of winning a game if it ran contrary to the rhetorical spirit of the game. As a moderator, I try to balance around these mechanical aspects to the best of my ability, but my sensibilites as a player will always keep me from thinking of the mechanics on the same level of depth that you do. I'm sorry if you feel mocked or slighted--on the contrary, my only intention was to insult myself for failing my players.

Furthermore, it's for these reasons that Bloodborne Mafia will feature a 72 hour pre-game phase oriented towards making sure players understand their roles and the mechanics of the game. I'd much rather run into these sorts of semantic issues before the game began or within the first day phase rather than in the final hour or in post. It frustrates me deeply to see players interpret seemingly straightforward rules incorrectly--and it isn't because their interpretation is 'wrong' or 'bad', but that I was not able to use language in a way that properly conveyed what I meant, which is the largest failing that I can make as a professional writer and rhetorician. Furthermore, correcting a player on their false interpretation can be seen as giving that player an unfair advantage, which is even more frustrating to me. I want everyone to just understand their roles and the public mechanics. That's all.

I joke offhandedly about writing things out as a legal document because that's simply not feasible onsite. Rules and role mechanics should be conveyed in a very simple, concrete, straightforward way. Most games have the blessing of being able to use short-hand with a wiki page to explain how a role works; telling someone they are a Doctor, for example, is often clearly understood despite that being a very nebulous thing to write on a role by itself. Theme games often do not have this same ease-of-understanding because the roles are unique to the game. The role PMs in Bloodborne Mafia are already going to be quite large, so I want to do everything I can to keep the language concise and clear in meaning. Overwhelming a player with their role in an already overwhelming setup seems like a surefire way to ensure they become confused or lose track of some ruling somewhere. I'd like to avoid that, if possible.

Once again, I'm sorry for my failings in this game. All I can do is work towards making the next game better and learning from my mistakes. I deeply appreciate all of your criticism and feedback, and I know I can be very off-the-cuff and joking and even crass, but I want you to know that all of that is secondary to the dedication I have to this game and to all of you. You're all interesting, fun, cool people who make this worth the time I invest in it. I hope that I can produce games that are worthy of the quality you've come to expect from Mafiascum and deserving of your time as well.
Last edited by Varsoon on Fri May 13, 2016 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Xkfyu
Xkfyu
Mafia Scum
Xkfyu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #292 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 9:02 am

Post by Xkfyu »

I really think you're beating yourself up too much, Varsoon.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #293 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 9:09 am

Post by Varsoon »

If even a single player has a problem with a setup, it's my duty to give myself a rough time, take it seriously, adapt, and create better experience for everyone involved.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #294 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 9:13 am

Post by Varsoon »

I want to push this site above and beyond when it comes to the ways in which moderators interact with the playerbase and the quality of games.
I came to this site because it is the best site online for Mafia. I want to ensure that it stays that way. I want to provide the best games of mafia on the entire internet.
In order to do that, I gotta sweat the small stuff. I don't let it destroy my spirit or keep me from doing what I love--rather, it emboldens me to do it right.
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #295 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 9:16 am

Post by Nahdia »

On a completely different note, the flavor of this game seriously owned. The role PMs and the mini essays you wrote at the end of each phase were especially hilarious. Really really well done.

personally i think it's really cool that Varsoon is this invested in modding. mafia is like, far and away my favorite hobby of mine. it's nice to be in the company of people that take it seriously ^_^
we're all made of stories | remember to take your b12 | sign up for a GTKAS thread! (request access here)

-Zaphkael, 2020
Xkfyu
Xkfyu
Mafia Scum
Xkfyu
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #296 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 9:17 am

Post by Xkfyu »

In post 293, Varsoon wrote:If even a single player has a problem with a setup, it's my duty to give myself a rough time, take it seriously, adapt, and create better experience for everyone involved.
In post 294, Varsoon wrote:I want to push this site above and beyond when it comes to the ways in which moderators interact with the playerbase and the quality of games.
I came to this site because it is the best site online for Mafia. I want to ensure that it stays that way. I want to provide the best games of mafia on the entire internet.
In order to do that, I gotta sweat the small stuff. I don't let it destroy my spirit or keep me from doing what I love--rather, it emboldens me to do it right.
Respect, man. Seriously. Keep doing what you do. Please.
Varsoon
Varsoon
Scatman
Varsoon
Scatman
Scatman

Post Post #297 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 9:31 am

Post by Varsoon »

<3

@Nahdia: I'm glad you enjoyed the flavor. For this and my previous Space Dandy game, my end-of-phase flavor trended towards shorter, more humorous segments. I try to make sure my flavor narration reflects the tone of the theme. Bloodborne's flavor will be foreboding, mystifying, and exciting. You can expect less humor and a little more writing.

I'm glad you enjoy mafia so much! I've gotten really into it and it always excites me to see other players with more than just a passing interest. That sort of dedication and excitement drives me to make more interesting games.

@Xkfyu: Absolutely. I have no intention of stopping--this is basically all I do when I'm not at work or hanging out with friends. It lets me fill the inbetween time very well.
Elbirn
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Elbirn
Content Aficionado
Content Aficionado

Post Post #298 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 9:52 am

Post by Elbirn »

@all of varsoons stuff, to be fair I'm legitimately stupid, I'm oneadem "can't walk and chew bubble gum" people
Nahdia
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Nahdia
They/Them
Scheherazade
Scheherazade

Post Post #299 (ISO) » Fri May 13, 2016 9:53 am

Post by Nahdia »

lmfao same

-Zaphkael, 2020

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”