Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #300 (ISO) » Sun May 15, 2005 3:35 pm

Post by Thesp »

Oh, and massive props to Seol, Assasin, Mr Stoofer, and really just about everyone for their gameplay. This was a very enjoyable game, and many, many thanks to our mod for your efforts! :mrgreen:
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #301 (ISO) » Sun May 15, 2005 8:50 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Congrats scum, GG everyone.

Thanks very much to our mod DarkLight for a cunning, complex setup. :mrgreen:
dybeck
dybeck
Ooh ooh ooh
dybeck
Ooh ooh ooh
Ooh ooh ooh

Post Post #302 (ISO) » Sun May 15, 2005 10:29 pm

Post by dybeck »

Man... I thought Seol was going to claim SK - that would have been so funny.

That was a Good Game. Well done all :)
Eeny. Meeny. Miney. Vote.
DarkLight140
DarkLight140
Goon
DarkLight140
Goon
Goon

Post Post #303 (ISO) » Mon May 16, 2005 2:11 am

Post by DarkLight140 »

You guys liked the setup? I was a little nervous, with it being more than a bit different from what you'd normally expect. Care to share thoughts on balance or possible improvements?

In all fairness to everyone, I was incredibly shocked when BlueSin let himself be lynched. He was essentially the strongest investigative role- even the Mafia Infiltrator could easily have chosen to have him find a non-food item first, thus tipping his hand. And after SquareKnight was killed... I was pretty close to calling it game right there. :roll:
To be Continued...
dybeck
dybeck
Ooh ooh ooh
dybeck
Ooh ooh ooh
Ooh ooh ooh

Post Post #304 (ISO) » Mon May 16, 2005 3:46 am

Post by dybeck »

Town were unlucky to lose BlueSin - to also lose mathcam was really bad.

On the face of it, it doesn't look mafia-slanted. Essentially, three investigative roles, but since many of the pro-town roles are verifiable, the three protection roles are probably more important (I'm counting kwyjibo, mr stoofer and brushhopper).

However, mafia did take it with a day-kill to spare - don't know that game setup is to blame for that though - just the way it turned out i think.

I was going to say that I thought brushhopper's role was overpowered, but being able to use it only twice seems like it'd balance it up quite nicely.
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #305 (ISO) » Mon May 16, 2005 5:45 am

Post by Seol »

dybeck wrote:Man... I thought Seol was going to claim SK - that would have been so funny.

That was a Good Game. Well done all :)
I was considering it - after all, I
was
the SK. I decided against when I realised claiming SK would mean even if I got an extra day, I wouldn't be surviving to the end. I was just hoping that someone would follow my logic as to why Thesp wasn't the SK, and figure he must be Mafia and go for him instead. I guess I shouldn't have verified Speedy quite so early.

I hate to play "bitch at the mod", but my role
really sucked major ass
. To quote the mod PM, "Yes, you're totally screwed. Good luck... " Serial killer is a difficult role to play when it's a straight SK role, but I had three major drawbacks to add to the difficulty -

Firstly, I took one less vote to lynch. Ouch.

Secondly, I didn't realise I
was
an SK until night 2. Prior to that, my role was basically a liability to the town, so I figured the best way to play it was to be as upfront and aggressive as possible and either win the town's trust (which I did) or get myself lynched before I could do too much damage, as I'd be a major liability in endgame. Then night 2 I got the news - woo, I'm now an SK, and my strategy to date has been suicide! Yay!

Thirdly, I was in a game where there were sufficient verifiable roles to make mass claim a viable breaking strategy. No matter what I claimed, I couldn't prove my innocence, and pretty much everyone else could prove theirs. My only hope was to scare everyone else off me - it didn't work, but it was my only chance.

For what it's worth, there was an extra dimension to my fake roleclaim that never became public - I told Assasin and the (unfortunately dead) Stoofer (who protected me that night!) that my claim was, in fact, a trap - that if I was nightkilled we wouldn't skip to another night, but instead whoever killed me would die. I also gambled that brushhopper wouldn't protect himself, but by that point I was running on desperate gambits only.

Ah well, this game had me thinking harder than I have for some time. Good times! :)
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
DarkLight140
DarkLight140
Goon
DarkLight140
Goon
Goon

Post Post #306 (ISO) » Mon May 16, 2005 5:55 am

Post by DarkLight140 »

Yeah, Seol, you were pretty screwed, as I said. Sorry about that. Feel free to give me a horribly sucky role in the next game you mod. :oops:

Originally, you were going to take one vote
more
to lynch after you became an SK (and not tell you; also, you'd still be lynchable by 2 in a 3-man endgame), but during balancing I decided that was too strong, and the town had quite a bit stacked against them already. If you'd died before killing any pro-town people, I'd have left you with a town win condition so you could win, though. Small consolation, but... I don't know. Sorry. You were brilliant, though.
To be Continued...
dybeck
dybeck
Ooh ooh ooh
dybeck
Ooh ooh ooh
Ooh ooh ooh

Post Post #307 (ISO) » Mon May 16, 2005 6:23 am

Post by dybeck »

Seol - if you're still reading this thread - I was wondering why you killed brushhopper? I would have thought that there were other targets who were guaranteed not to get protection?
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #308 (ISO) » Mon May 16, 2005 6:29 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

DarkLight140 to Seol wrote:You were brilliant, though.
Seconded. You had me totally fooled.

You defended me on day 2 when a (rather irrational) bandwagon was developing against me. As a result I thought that you couldn't possibly be scum - which is why I protected you. Why did you defend me day 2 and not just let the bandwagon roll on? Or did you realise (correctly) that your defence would be ignored?
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #309 (ISO) » Mon May 16, 2005 6:45 am

Post by Seol »

dybeck wrote:Seol - if you're still reading this thread - I was wondering why you killed brushhopper? I would have thought that there were other targets who were guaranteed not to get protection?
I figured he probably wouldn't use his ability that night, but the chances of him not using it going forward were close to nil - the subject was bound to come up the following day and he'd basically become an invulnerable confirmed townie. I had one window in which to take him out, and I took it. A gamble, but one that paid off.
Mr Stoofer wrote:You defended me on day 2 when a (rather irrational) bandwagon was developing against me. As a result I thought that you couldn't possibly be scum - which is why I protected you. Why did you defend me day 2 and not just let the bandwagon roll on? Or did you realise (correctly) that your defence would be ignored?
The bandwagon was based on very flimsy reasoning - it was wrong, and I wasn't about to just ride other people's bad reasoning. One rule I have as scum is to always play as I would were I town, at least as far as the day spiel is concerned. It seems other people don't play by that rule, and as a result it fools everybody - for example, here I succeeded in convincing you despite our major disagreement day 1.
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
kwyjibo
kwyjibo
Goon
kwyjibo
Goon
Goon

Post Post #310 (ISO) » Mon May 16, 2005 10:01 am

Post by kwyjibo »

sorry all I kinda screwed things up with the not posting and all, but meh...good game thanks for modding dl..
hmm....so many good simpsons quotes so little sig space....
Mastermind of Sin
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Mastermind of Sin
Cassandra Complex
Cassandra Complex

Post Post #311 (ISO) » Mon May 16, 2005 10:10 am

Post by Mastermind of Sin »

Seol wrote:
dybeck wrote:Seol - if you're still reading this thread - I was wondering why you killed brushhopper? I would have thought that there were other targets who were guaranteed not to get protection?
I figured he probably wouldn't use his ability that night, but the chances of him not using it going forward were close to nil - the subject was bound to come up the following day and he'd basically become an invulnerable confirmed townie. I had one window in which to take him out, and I took it. A gamble, but one that paid off.
Mr Stoofer wrote:You defended me on day 2 when a (rather irrational) bandwagon was developing against me. As a result I thought that you couldn't possibly be scum - which is why I protected you. Why did you defend me day 2 and not just let the bandwagon roll on? Or did you realise (correctly) that your defence would be ignored?
The bandwagon was based on very flimsy reasoning - it was wrong, and I wasn't about to just ride other people's bad reasoning. One rule I have as scum is to always play as I would were I town, at least as far as the day spiel is concerned. It seems other people don't play by that rule, and as a result it fools everybody - for example, here I succeeded in convincing you despite our major disagreement day 1.
I use the same strategy, but I didn't live long enough to be useful. My role was sooo verifiable that only a confirmed scum cop result would've gotten me lynched as far as I could tell.
Permanent V/LA.
SpeedyKQ
SpeedyKQ
Mafia Scum
SpeedyKQ
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #312 (ISO) » Sat May 21, 2005 10:16 am

Post by SpeedyKQ »

Excellent game all. I think it was a well balanced setup, maybe even with a pro-town slant, no doubt in my mind the better team won this time. Well done, baddies, congrats.

Thanks for running it, DarkLight.
[size=75]Mafia is hard.[/size]
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #313 (ISO) » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:44 am

Post by MeMe »

last post
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza