Mini 715: Legends of Literature Mafia (Over)

Caboose
Caboose
Mafia Scum
Caboose
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #375 (ISO) » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:56 am

Post by Caboose »

neko2086 wrote:caboose, earlier you also included Jazz in your list of possible suspects. What changed?
I'm just not seeing Lenny as an SK, but Jazzmyn isn't completely suspicion-free, though.
neko2086
neko2086
Mafia Scum
neko2086
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #376 (ISO) » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:06 am

Post by neko2086 »

Why not? Lenny's not an entirely innocent character.

Also, what's so badass about Dr. Dolittle? I'm not sure we can simply go off of how "good" a character is.
In Tartiflette We Trust
roflcopter
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #377 (ISO) » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:16 am

Post by roflcopter »

we can't go off of how "good" or "evil" a character is, but i think assuming a scumbag honestly claimed their character is a grievous mistake. i'm not going to base any suspicions on name claims.

i think that caboose is confirmed town, gw and carn are as good as confirmed, and i'm as close to confirmed as we're gonna get with a vanilla claim thanks to the doc protect n1.

which leaves iceman, neko, simenon and jazz. thats my order for likelihood of being an sk. if we're looking for one last mafioso (really, really, reallllly doubtful given the dearth of town power) it almost has to be sim.
soi soi soi

wins: open 69 (townie), mini 592 (sk), mini 617 (mafia rb), open 102 (mafia lover), crackers! (doctor), mini 712 (doctor), mini 715 (townie), mini 770 (inventor), lynch all lurkers (townie), mafia 100 (mason), space mafia (neighborizer)
Simenon
Simenon
Entitled
Simenon
Entitled
Entitled

Post Post #378 (ISO) » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:06 pm

Post by Simenon »

jazz wrote:(We all probably know that Arthur Conan Doyle is the author of the Sherlock Holmes books, but still, why wouldn't Simenon divulge a specific book, and name the author anyway?)
It wasn't in my PM. Why the hell would I embellish?
Even after the request by Caboose that subsequent claimants specifically state their character, book, and author, Simenon didn't do so.
Anybody who doesn't know who wrote the Sherlock Holmes books should not be playing a game based on literature.
As for character, that's just plain wrong. Did you throw that in there because it sounded cool?
And as for book, as I said before, it wasn't there.
And Simenon still hasn't claimed anything beyond his character.
I claimed my role. You see, that's what matters, because nobody gives a shit if I describe the plot of The Hound of the Baskervilles.
SEND THE VECTOIDS
Simenon
Simenon
Entitled
Simenon
Entitled
Entitled

Post Post #379 (ISO) » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:08 pm

Post by Simenon »

I think the SK is neko, jazz, ice in that order. Explanation to follow.

And as for my claim, if I were to lie, I would claim something separate from
Sherlock Holmes
SEND THE VECTOIDS
GhostWriter
GhostWriter
He/Him
Mafia Scum
GhostWriter
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #380 (ISO) » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:53 pm

Post by GhostWriter »

Simenon wrote:It wasn't in my PM.
Whoa, whoa, whoa. It wasn't there? Looking at the way my pm is setup, and the way that people are basing the truthfulness of claims by this, I'm going to assume all of our PMs are the same, in that we get told our role and role name, and then the author and book that we come from are written underneath it, in italics, inside of parentheses. Would anyone else care to verify this, or do we really have different message setups?
neko2086
neko2086
Mafia Scum
neko2086
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #381 (ISO) » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:10 pm

Post by neko2086 »

^Same as mine.

Any reason why we don't think Sim could be the SK (other than he could be the cop but lying about it?)
In Tartiflette We Trust
Simenon
Simenon
Entitled
Simenon
Entitled
Entitled

Post Post #382 (ISO) » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:14 pm

Post by Simenon »

That's bizarre, because that's not what's in my PM. It's my character, a line of flavor, and the town win condition (followed by some line of the replacements.) I'm going to ask Der Hammer if that was the original role PM.
SEND THE VECTOIDS
Simenon
Simenon
Entitled
Simenon
Entitled
Entitled

Post Post #383 (ISO) » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:14 pm

Post by Simenon »

neko2086 wrote: Any reason why we don't think Sim could be the SK (other than he could be the cop but lying about it?)
very subtle!
SEND THE VECTOIDS
Caboose
Caboose
Mafia Scum
Caboose
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #384 (ISO) » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:54 pm

Post by Caboose »

Well, we're not getting anywhere just sitting on our hands.

Vote: icemanE
Caboose
Caboose
Mafia Scum
Caboose
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #385 (ISO) » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:08 pm

Post by Caboose »

My role PM was the same as GW's, who is pretty much confirmed town to me.
I didn't get a win con in my role PM...

But anyway, we don't have a lot of content from either neko or ice from previous days, so there's not a lot to go on. But, in my mind, one of those two is the SK.
roflcopter
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #386 (ISO) » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:48 pm

Post by roflcopter »

well, my pm doesn't include an author if that helps. but my book is the bible..
soi soi soi

wins: open 69 (townie), mini 592 (sk), mini 617 (mafia rb), open 102 (mafia lover), crackers! (doctor), mini 712 (doctor), mini 715 (townie), mini 770 (inventor), lynch all lurkers (townie), mafia 100 (mason), space mafia (neighborizer)
Caboose
Caboose
Mafia Scum
Caboose
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #387 (ISO) » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:20 pm

Post by Caboose »

roflcopter wrote:well, my pm doesn't include an author if that helps. but my book is the bible..
No, it doesn't really help.
However, your opinion on who is the SK is.
Caboose
Caboose
Mafia Scum
Caboose
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #388 (ISO) » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:20 pm

Post by Caboose »

EBWOP:
However, your opinion on who is the SK
does
roflcopter
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #389 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:06 am

Post by roflcopter »

going off of vague memories of gut feelings, i'd say its either neko or iceman, but really this game deserves to be re-read in short order.
soi soi soi

CarnCarn
CarnCarn
Mafia Scum
CarnCarn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #390 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:26 am

Post by CarnCarn »

Simenon wrote:That's bizarre, because that's not what's in my PM. It's my character, a line of flavor,
and the town win condition
(followed by some line of the replacements.)
Caboose wrote:I didn't get a win con in my role PM...
This.

Simenon's claim reeks more and more as we go along, but I'm still hesitant to think he is the last killer.
roflcopter
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #391 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:31 am

Post by roflcopter »

ok, you guys are right, i don't have a win con in my pm either.

this feels like the most bogus way to catch somebody ever, but i was already suspicious of vaquero/sim to begin with so...

vote: simenon
soi soi soi

Caboose
Caboose
Mafia Scum
Caboose
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #392 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:39 pm

Post by Caboose »

roflcopter wrote:ok, you guys are right, i don't have a win con in my pm either.

this feels like the most bogus way to catch somebody ever, but i was already suspicious of vaquero/sim to begin with so...

vote: simenon
Not understanding your vote.
Simenon admitted that was different even AFTER someone else shared what was in their role PM.
GhostWriter
GhostWriter
He/Him
Mafia Scum
GhostWriter
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #393 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:59 pm

Post by GhostWriter »

Mod, I think we really need to know if it was just a mistake from his role pm coming as him replacing, and is thus not the original.
Jazzmyn
Jazzmyn
Mafia Scum
Jazzmyn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #394 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:16 pm

Post by Jazzmyn »

Okay, warning: stream of consciousness post coming, as I read recent posts.
Simenon 378 wrote:It wasn't in my PM. Why the hell would I embellish? <etc., etc.>
Whoa. Down, boy. See the chronology below.
Simenon 333 wrote:I'm Sherlock Holmes, a vanilla townie. So it's fairly obvious that I'm going to be lynched today, because that is an *awful* role.
Caboose 338 wrote:Oh, and claim your name, role, book, and author.
And even though Simenon posted after Caboose's request for claims to specify name, role, book, and author, Simenon didn't mention either his book or author in his subsequent post:
Simenon 349 wrote:
I
could elaborate on what is suspicious about my claim. She has to elaborate on why it's similar to RBT's.
I responded to Simenon's post saying:
Jazzmyn 352 wrote:Will do.
I said, "will do" and I did do:
Jazzmyn wrote:As for what I said about doubting Simenon's claim for reasons similar to the reasons I was suspicious of Riceballtail's claim, it is that Simenon also claimed a character who appears in several books, but claimed neither the specific book or the author. (We all probably know that Arthur Conan Doyle is the author of the Sherlock Holmes books, but still, why wouldn't Simenon divulge a specific book, and name the author anyway?) Even after the request by Caboose that subsequent claimants specifically state their character, book, and author, Simenon didn't do so.

So, in both cases, Riceballtail and Simenon claimed characters who are well known (although Riceballtail's claimed character is only well known in television, popular culture/song, etc. rather than in literature since he claimed Peter Cottontail rather than Peter Rabbit) and either harmless (fluffy bunny rabbit) or protagonist and obvious 'good guy' (Holmes). That said, I may very well have been wrong in thinking that the scum didn't know that the town role PMs specified the character, the book and author since, looking back, scum-SlySly's character was revealed as Shere Khan after his death. Yet, the characters of neither scum-Riceballtail nor mafia traitor-Tenchi have been revealed after their deaths.
Anyway, the point was that neither Riceballtail nor Simenon claimed a specific book and author to go with their character claim.
Simenon wrote:
Jazzmyn wrote:(We all probably know that Arthur Conan Doyle is the author of the Sherlock Holmes books, but still, why wouldn't Simenon divulge a specific book, and name the author anyway?) It wasn't in my PM. Why the hell would I embellish?
At the time that I asked the question, you had not said that it wasn't in your PM. Why so hostile?
Jazzmyn wrote:Even after the request by Caboose that subsequent claimants specifically state their character, book, and author, Simenon didn't do so.
Simenon wrote:Anybody who doesn't know who wrote the Sherlock Holmes books should not be playing a game based on literature. As for character, that's just plain wrong. Did you throw that in there because it sounded cool?And as for book, as I said before, it wasn't there.
With regard to claiming your character, book, and author, do you not see the commas and the word "and" there? With regard to your comment, "as for the book, as I said before, it wasn't there", at the time that I asked the question, you had not mentioned that your role PM neglected to mention your book and author. Again, why so hostile to legitimate questions?
Jazzmyn wrote:And Simenon still hasn't claimed anything beyond his character.
Simenon wrote:I claimed my role. You see, that's what matters, because nobody gives a shit if I describe the plot of The Hound of the Baskervilles.
The subject matter of my post, though, was your character, book, and author, not your role. And again, there is no need for hostility or rudeness, and no need to swear. My observations and questions are legitimate, and your responses seem a bit panicky.

Other thoughts: (As I warned at the outset, this is a stream of consciousness kind of post):
Caboose wrote:Most likely scenario: we have an SK. The mafia tried to kill rofl N0 and failed. Then, either both factions targetted rofl N1 (which I find unlikely) OR the mafia targetted the SK, the SK is immune to kills and the SK targetted rofl. The reason I say that the mafia tried to kill rofl N0 is that if they didn't, that means that the SK did, and it would be pretty silly to try to kill rofl two nights in a row when the first kill failed. The traitor might not have an NK, which is why there's only one kill N2.
I'm not quite following this. We had a night start (Night 1 as defined by the game moderator, not Night 0); Farside was killed on Night 1; Tenchi was killed on Night 2; could it not be that we have one more scum and no SK at all? Or is a SK required to balance out the mafia/town power? I don't know enough about the roles and various permutations of these kinds of games to know why or if it is more likely to have a SK than a third scum, so it is entirely possible that this makes perfect sense for reasons of which I am unaware, and if so, please enlighten me. But if there isn't a SK, then I don't understand why you think that because you protected someone, they must have been targeted. Would it not be just as likely that the person you protected wasn't targeted at all?

And, I just noticed this:
Caboose wrote:I protected rofl N0, N1, and N2.
How could you have protected anyone on N0, N1 and N2 when we had a night start that the game moderator designated as N1, and the only other night we've had since then is N2? We have only had two nights, but you are claiming three night protects? How can that be? The mod posted in post #1 that it was Night 1. Then the confirmations followed. Then the mod posted the rules in post #13 and the results of Night 1 in post #14 with Farside dead. So, two nights only. How could you possibly have had a Night 0 protect when we didn't even have a Night 0?
roflcopter wrote:it was pretty clear to me as well that caboose-doc had protected me from a nightkill.
I don't understand this, either. How does the fact that you didn't die at night mean that someone must have protected you? Is it not just as likely, or more likely, that you were not targeted at all? And, no offence intended, but you generally tend to come across as somewhat scummy no matter your alignment, so why would the scum or the SK target you, let alone both?

Other thoughts: as I said above, I don't know a whole lot about certain roles and the relative likelihood or unlikelihood of having certain roles in certain games, but it does seem very strange indeed to not have a cop when we have a miller. So, I am inclined to think that we do have a cop who hasn't claimed for whatever reason. But what reason?

More thoughts: Regarding the role PMs, I replaced in as well, and my role PM gave me my character and vanilla townie role, with the name and author of the book in parentheses underneath that, followed by a one-line bit of flavour about my character, and then asking me to confirm receipt of the message in the thread. It said nothing about win conditions, and nothing about replacements. But it also did not have my book and author italicized within the parenthesis as some have said theirs did. So, it is entirely possible that the apparent discrepancies are a moderator inconsistency issue rather than anything else.

More thoughts:
roflcopter 20" wrote:should we perhaps claim our novels?
Looking back, this seems like an unusual thing to say for someone who later claims that his "novel" is the Bible.

More thoughts: Looking back, I also think that we can't make too much of the characters or books chosen, in light of the game moderator's post:
Game Mod wrote:What if all the charactors from his favourite books came to life and had to interact with each other. Harry Potter and Gollum sitting down for a cup of tea, Goldfinger battling Mr Darcy.
Given the inclusion of Harry Potter and Goldfinger alongside legitimate classic literature characters, it appears that "legends of literature" in the view of the moderator is not necessarily restricted to classic literature, after all.

So, yeah, as I said, a stream of consciousness kind of post, but there you have it.

Regards,
Jazz
roflcopter
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #395 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:37 pm

Post by roflcopter »

jazz, on day two, caboose suddenly seemed to
know
that i was town, he was telegraphing it clearly enough for me to pick up on it and apparently for gw and carn to talk about it in their night talk. i put his sudden knowledge together with the lack of nightkill and came to the conclusion that caboose had doc'd me. this is also why i demanded he be the one to pick the first claimant - i knew he would be the most demonstratably town.
soi soi soi

Jazzmyn
Jazzmyn
Mafia Scum
Jazzmyn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #396 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:55 pm

Post by Jazzmyn »

roflcopter wrote:jazz, on day two, caboose suddenly seemed to
know
that i was town, he was telegraphing it clearly enough for me to pick up on it and apparently for gw and carn to talk about it in their night talk. i put his sudden knowledge together with the lack of nightkill and came to the conclusion that caboose had doc'd me. this is also why i demanded he be the one to pick the first claimant - i knew he would be the most demonstratably town.
But as a doctor, I never
know
that the person I chose to protect is town until there is later evidence to support the idea that I had chosen wisely, and as a person protected by a doctor, I have no way of knowing that on Day 1. And Caboose claims to have protected you on Night 0, Night 1, and Night 2, even though we have had only two nights, not three. Which is weird.

Regards,
Jazz
Jazzmyn
Jazzmyn
Mafia Scum
Jazzmyn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #397 (ISO) » Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:02 pm

Post by Jazzmyn »

roflcopter wrote:jazz, on day two, caboose suddenly seemed to
know
To add to what I said above, it makes no sense that Caboose could
know
that you are town just because he claims to have protected you on Night 1 and you didn't die. It makes no sense that he could
know
that you are town just because you weren't killed. Just because he protected you and you didn't die doesn't mean that you were targeted and doesn't mean that you are town. The only way that anyone could be sure that you are town on Day 1 is if they are the cop and investigated you and got an innocent result or if they are scum.

Regards,
Jazz
Simenon
Simenon
Entitled
Simenon
Entitled
Entitled

Post Post #398 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:03 am

Post by Simenon »

I did 382 from memory, and you all are right, my PM does not contain a win condition. It is also the original role PM, so all the other stuff I said about it was true. I made a mistake.

I was originally just not going to write this post, because I didn't think I'd be lynched over the win condition thing, but if you did lynch me and I came up as vanilla town
with a win condition
, it would just have been too confusing.
SEND THE VECTOIDS
roflcopter
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
roflcopter
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #399 (ISO) » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:40 am

Post by roflcopter »

jazz, we've had a total of three nights, not the two you seem to be recalling.

night zero/one (whatever you wanna call it) - farside gets killed

night one/two -
nobody dies
, caboose protected me

night two/three - tenchi gets killed

pretty much 100% confident that jazz is town now though
soi soi soi

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”