Mini 1140 - Mafia Mishmash...Game Over!!

Regfan
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Regfan
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #450 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:13 pm

Post by Regfan »

There's no such thing as
too scummy to be town
since scumminess does not have an absolute value.

What you're effectively saying is this:
There's 10 balls in a hat, 3 of them are yellow. Everyone picks out a ball.
If there's lots of people holding bright colours, I'm less likely to hold a bright colour.

Cut: Think you understand but I'll keep this just incase you don't.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #451 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:14 pm

Post by vollkan »

bgg1996 wrote:No, it's not. If four other people act too scummy to be town, then my chance of being mafia lowers significantly.
It seems this debate is at cross-purposes.

Obviously, your alignment is fixed from the beginning of the game (and I don't think you are arguing otherwise).

What I understand you to be saying is that what people
consider
your likely alignment to be necessarily varies based on how scummy other people have been. If so, then I agree. If not, what are you saying?
bgg1996
bgg1996
Goon
bgg1996
Goon
Goon

Post Post #452 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:22 pm

Post by bgg1996 »

Regfan wrote:There's no such thing as
too scummy to be town
I'll make sure to NK you for that statement.
People both love and hate me... Without the 'love' part.
bgg1996
bgg1996
Goon
bgg1996
Goon
Goon

Post Post #453 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:23 pm

Post by bgg1996 »

From the people I want to lynch most, to the people I want to lynch least:
Andrew94, curiouskarmadog, Truant, Yura-chi, Regfan, Subgenius, maxous, vollkan, Surprise_Carcinogen, bgg1996
Maxous
Maxous
Mafia Scum
Maxous
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #454 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:31 pm

Post by Maxous »

bgg1996 wrote:
Regfan wrote:There's no such thing as
too scummy to be town
I'll make sure to NK you for that statement.
Putting aside why you would decide to kill Regfan when he's in the middle of your list...
did you shoot last night?
"
And before anyone bitches about me highlighting PoD's 437 when I replaced in and called everyone on my wagon communists, I remind you that communism is not alignment-indicative
" - Belisarius

wiki (actually) updated
Surprise_Carcinogen
Surprise_Carcinogen
Goon
Surprise_Carcinogen
Goon
Goon

Post Post #455 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:33 pm

Post by Surprise_Carcinogen »

This is stupid. Just. All of this is completely pointless, and I don't know which one of you four I should hate for continuing it.

Also, Max. Bad question. Bgg was crucified earlier for that EXACT question.
"But he will not be drinking delicious juice, oh no. He will be choking down a world of hot piss and it will serve him right for liking all those dumbass movies unironically." - Dave Strider
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #456 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:35 pm

Post by vollkan »

bgg1996 wrote:From the people I want to lynch most, to the people I want to lynch least:
Andrew94, curiouskarmadog, Truant, Yura-chi, Regfan, Subgenius, maxous,
vollkan
, Surprise_Carcinogen, bgg1996
bgg wrote: I'm leaning towards Andrew. Other than that, I suppose that
vollkan
just told a fib, Yura-chi is being completely unhelpful, and... Not very much else.
So I go from being #2 or 3 of your suspicions to third-last in the space of a page where my only interim posts were the following?
vollkan wrote:
bgg wrote: vollkan just told a fib
What?
bgg wrote: @Vollkan, 1. What if everybody in the town was "robbing banks"?
2. I still should've pointed it out, since you're saying that it can be a scumtell.
1. It would still be wrong. In the context of mafia, if everybody was tunneling, it would still be scummy but, assuming everybody did it equally badly, it would increase everybody's rankings equally and so it wouldn't actually change people's relative positions
2. The point is that it shouldn't have been an option to begin with.
vollkan wrote:
bgg1996 wrote:No, it's not. If four other people act too scummy to be town, then my chance of being mafia lowers significantly.
It seems this debate is at cross-purposes.

Obviously, your alignment is fixed from the beginning of the game (and I don't think you are arguing otherwise).

What I understand you to be saying is that what people
consider
your likely alignment to be necessarily varies based on how scummy other people have been. If so, then I agree. If not, what are you saying?
bgg1996
bgg1996
Goon
bgg1996
Goon
Goon

Post Post #457 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:40 pm

Post by bgg1996 »

Don't worry, you are still in the top four/five of my scumminess chart. But your big posts are too helpful to risk. I don't want to lose you D1, until I'm a bit more sure that you are scum.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #458 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:49 pm

Post by vollkan »

bgg1996 wrote:Don't worry, you are still in the top four/five of my scumminess chart. But your big posts are too helpful to risk. I don't want to lose you D1, until I'm a bit more sure that you are scum.
bgg+5

Where to begin?

1) For starters, it's D2 - not D1.
2) It's already been established that this is a game where we potentially have only one ML left - so the notion that you would keep a major suspect alive is absurd. Beyond that, it suggests that you aren't really concerned at all about the consequences of keeping a major suspect alive.
3) In the first post I quoted before, I was 2/3, then I became third-last (and, I note, that you were the last suspect, so among the people you actually can suspect, I was second-last), and now I am 4/5. So, you still haven't explained the variation in your opinion of me.
4) If you are town, then the last thing you should want is vollkan-scum being able to make influential posts - so I can't see any sense in which you would both suspect me and yet also find my posts helpful
bgg1996
bgg1996
Goon
bgg1996
Goon
Goon

Post Post #459 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:59 pm

Post by bgg1996 »

Sorry, I'm a bit tired, and the real D1 was really short.
Why do you consider this a scum-tell?
And shouldn't you be voting for me by now?
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #460 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:07 pm

Post by vollkan »

bgg1996 wrote: Why do you consider this a scum-tell?
Because it demonstrates a significant inconsistency in your suspicions, which inherently makes it more likely that your suspicions are not genuine.
bgg wrote:
And shouldn't you be voting for me by now?
Checking scores:

PlayerScore
Andrew9450
Regfan55
Surprise_Carcinogen55
Maxous50
Truant55
curiouskarmadog50
bgg199679
subgenius50
yura-chi77

Yeah, you've hit the lead.

Unvote, Vote: bgg1996
yura-chi
yura-chi
Townie
yura-chi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #461 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:24 pm

Post by yura-chi »

@bgg did u want voll to vote for u??? or where u just curious...? cuz for some reason i find it weird for you to mention that...
subgenius
subgenius
Goon
subgenius
Goon
Goon

Post Post #462 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:24 pm

Post by subgenius »

Is anybody else willing to put some more votes on bgg in the hopes that he'll start talking sense? I'm tired of him spewing completely worthless arguments, and I don't think anything is going to change his ways other than some actual heat put on him. Bgg, if you're town, you need to start making yourself an asset pronto. You are very near the point of no return with me.
bgg1996 wrote:I'll make sure to NK you for that statement.
Please explain why this doesn't mean what I (and apparently maxous) think it means.

Honestly, I just checked whether or not Jesters are allowed in normals, because bgg is completely off the wall here. BTW, they're not.
Surprise_Carcinogen
Surprise_Carcinogen
Goon
Surprise_Carcinogen
Goon
Goon

Post Post #463 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:27 pm

I'm not sure I like the phrase "point of no return" From Sub. It sounds too much like you're either a) intending to lynch him for being useless, town or no(this is a mistake) or b) intending to keep him even if you think he's scum just for being useful.
"But he will not be drinking delicious juice, oh no. He will be choking down a world of hot piss and it will serve him right for liking all those dumbass movies unironically." - Dave Strider
yura-chi
yura-chi
Townie
yura-chi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #464 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:40 pm

Post by yura-chi »

well i don't mean to bandwagon but i think sub is making sense bgg is getting into useless arguements (tho i don't really think i have any say in this, since everyone also thinks i'm useless and dumb) and i wanna see how he wud react if he face some heat
yura-chi
yura-chi
Townie
yura-chi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #465 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:40 pm

Post by yura-chi »

VOTE: BGG
Surprise_Carcinogen
Surprise_Carcinogen
Goon
Surprise_Carcinogen
Goon
Goon

Post Post #466 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:43 pm

Two things. First, you have now gone back to 100% bandwagon participation, and second, just because you say "hey, don't mean to do x..." doesn't mean you aren't doing X

That said, he is reading extraordinarily scummy. I just wanted to make clear that I was aware. Votecount?
yura-chi
yura-chi
Townie
yura-chi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #467 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:47 pm

Post by yura-chi »

i just thought that it was a good idea and i dont have any so im going with it to see if bgg is scum based on what will happen here...
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #468 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:51 pm

Post by vollkan »

yura-chi wrote:well i don't mean to bandwagon but i think sub is making sense bgg is getting into useless arguements (tho i don't really think i have any say in this, since everyone also thinks i'm useless and dumb) and i wanna see how he wud react if he face some heat
At the risk of this becoming a bgg-yurachi see-saw,
Yura+5

Unvote, Vote: Yura

1) Once again, Yura jumps on a bandwagon for crappy reasons.
2) Hypocrisy (Ironically, this is a perfect demonstration of what I was arguing earlier about tu quoque. Whilst Yura is completely correct about bgg's useless arguments, it is hypocritical and thus scummy for yura to vote bgg on that basis - even though the reason why yura is voting bgg is actually valid)
3) Explicitly voting to add pressure
4) The fact that Yura has not been involved with any of the extensive prior debate on bgg, but suddenly decides to vote for bgg (for weak, short reasons) as soon as subg invites a wagon
subgenius
subgenius
Goon
subgenius
Goon
Goon

Post Post #469 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:15 pm

Post by subgenius »

S_C wrote:I'm not sure I like the phrase "point of no return" From Sub. It sounds too much like you're either a) intending to lynch him for being useless, town or no(this is a mistake) or b) intending to keep him even if you think he's scum just for being useful.
Believe it or not, I've tried to stay open minded about bgg. He is my top suspect, but I'm willing to change my reads. He has not improved at all since my original suspicions. If anything, he has gotten worse. If he had shown any interest in scum hunting or analyzing cases in anything except the most hairsplittingly semantic terms, I might have moved my attention elsewhere, but with very few exceptions, he hasn't. The longer he does this, the less I can believe he is a town player who is simply off his game.

At this point, it's reaching the point where the only explanation in my mind is that he's acting so scummy in the belief that nobody would actually believe scum to be so blatant. There is no town motivation in his posts. Most of the time when you see anti-town behavior, you can at least see how the anti-town player is really trying to help, but that is utterly absent in bgg's posts. He is being worse than useless, and not in a way that bad town players are useless. I get the distinct sense that he is being intentionally counterproductive, and there is absolutely no reason for town to purposely be so bad.
Vollkan wrote:At the risk of this becoming a bgg-yurachi see-saw, Yura+5
Come on man, lets make bgg squirm a bit. I'm sick of his crap. Don't be a slave to your score sheet! Lets get some votes here. We don't have more than two votes on anybody, and that's part of the reason we aren't getting anywhere. Lets do this thing.

Who else wants in?

If we aren't going to bandwagon bgg, we need to get on someone else. Keeping a bunch of people at L-5 and L-4 isn't working.
yura-chi
yura-chi
Townie
yura-chi
Townie
Townie

Post Post #470 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:24 pm

Post by yura-chi »

@voll uhmm sorry but i'm not really getting it call me dumb but i still dont get what ur sayin here:

2) Hypocrisy (Ironically, this is a perfect demonstration of what I was arguing earlier about tu quoque. Whilst Yura is completely correct about bgg's useless arguments, it is hypocritical and thus scummy for yura to vote bgg on that basis - even though the reason why yura is voting bgg is actually valid)
subgenius
subgenius
Goon
subgenius
Goon
Goon

Post Post #471 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:47 pm

Post by subgenius »

vollkan wrote: 2) Hypocrisy (Ironically, this is a perfect demonstration of what I was arguing earlier about tu quoque. Whilst Yura is completely correct about bgg's useless arguments, it is hypocritical and thus scummy for yura to vote bgg on that basis - even though the reason why yura is voting bgg is actually valid)
I've found your scum tells to be pretty solid up to this point, but I don't agree that hypocrisy is a scum tell. If making crappy arguments is a scumtell when bgg does it, then it's also a scum tell when yura does it, but it's not scummy for either of them to say the other is scummy for making poor arguments. If one of them wants to build a case against the other why should he be forced to make his case weaker by omitting the mention of poor arguments?
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #472 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:06 pm

Post by vollkan »

yura-chi wrote:@voll uhmm sorry but i'm not really getting it call me dumb but i still dont get what ur sayin here:

It's hypocritical for you to admit that you are useless, but then treat uselessness as a scumtell in others (see below). The stuff in brackets is about an earlier discussion and isn't relevant to you.
Subgenius wrote: I've found your scum tells to be pretty solid up to this point, but I don't agree that hypocrisy is a scum tell. If making crappy arguments is a scumtell when bgg does it, then it's also a scum tell when yura does it, but it's not scummy for either of them to say the other is scummy for making poor arguments. If one of them wants to build a case against the other why should he be forced to make his case weaker by omitting the mention of poor arguments?
I assume you mean "omitting the mention of good arguments"?

Anyway, I get what you are saying, but I completely disagree.

If Player X accuses Player Y of being scum, for doing
A
, then that implies that Player X thinks that
A
is something which is so unlikely to come from a townie that it should be treated as making a person more likely to be scum.

Given that, if Player X is himself guilty of
A
, then one of two things can be the case:
a) Player X does not genuinely believe
A
to be a scumtell. Obviously, this means that Player X is scum.
b) Player X does genuinely believe
A
to be a scumtell.

b) is, on first glance, consistent with Player X being either town or scum. However, if Player X is town, this simply doesn't make sense - because Player X has a firsthand understanding of how it is that a townie could do
A

As with any scumtell, it's weaker in the case of a newbie like Yura, to be sure, but the underlying point remains intact: that the player is either lying or not actually making a genuine effort to scumhunt.
andrew94
andrew94
Mafia Scum
andrew94
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #473 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:45 pm

Post by andrew94 »

i have a chemistry practical so v/la for 21 hours
i hate walls, i will only skim walls.
havingfitz
havingfitz