StrangerCoug's Worst Nightmare: D├®j├á Bastard (Game over!)

StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:34 am

Post by StrangerCoug »

VOTE COUNT

Datadanne (3): LlamaFluff, Faraday, Bogre
~Jordan` (3): Josh Lyman, X_~, Malcolm
Josh Lyman (3): Mufasa, ~Jordan`, OpposedForce
X_~ (2): Sociopath, Muffin
Not voting (6): Col.Cathart, Datadanne, Drench, Fishythefish, Raivann, Tjoe Min Ja

With
players alive, it takes
players to lynch.
STRANGERCOUG: Stranger Than You!

Current avatar by PurryFurry of FurAffinity.

What Were You Thinking XV! is in progress.
OpposedForce
OpposedForce
Goon
OpposedForce
Goon
Goon

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:20 am

Post by OpposedForce »

X_~ wrote:
OpposedForce wrote:Hey guys.
Vote:Josh Lynman

Btw I think that you're looking into to deeply in the RVS of the game, X. Most of these votes are lighthearted and shouldn't be taken too analytically to assume scenarios or accusations on the votes thus far in this stage of the game.
Listen, if this was a normal day 1 I would approach this in a different manner. Remember, this game started at night, and 2 townies and 1 mafia died.
I don't see the roles being revealed, but I can assume that the mafia targeted semioldguy and his lover committed suicide. I am not sure if these two lovers killed the one mafia, but that is not important.

I am taking this day a bit seriously because in this case WE DO have something to work off. Not as much as a Day 2, but definitely more than a Day 1.

those are my thoughts of the current game state.
Fair enough I can understand your approach towards the game with the given circumstances. (Pre-Game kills 1 Mafia, Two Lovers) However what I am trying to refer to is posts like this:
X_~ wrote:Also, notice the use of exclamation marks (!!) in each of his posts.

I can easily see him being mafia.
First he acted surprised that 3 people died. I mean sure, I bet everyone was sort of like 'WTF', but you do not need to post the obvious.
X_~ wrote:You seem to not know the real purpose of the RVS stage. If you don't provide valid arguments for your vote, then what is the point of RVS if people are just going to take it as a big joke.

I can see the mafia taking it as a joke, as this will only hurt the town.

Right now Jordan, it seems that you are trying to prove yourself to me. Is it because you know I am not in your affiliation?

And in your first post, I got the feeling that your were pumped! But now you say it was awkward... And why would you stop posting? Not posting is the worst thing a townie can do.
These kind of posts give the vibe of overreacting especially during the stage of a traditional RV process. For example in the above quote you state that he "tries to play it off as a joke" but this is only in the interest of the RVS or "lightheartedness" that is traditionally used in many of the games on this site. I understand that there has been three deaths thus far but not everyone can jump into the game in a serious tone.

In my opinion his first post seemed just overeager so at best it would be a null tell if anything because it could be interpented as anything (It's town trying to show he's town or it's mafia trying to be town) which leads to confusing and headaches causing WIFOM.

Speaking of WIFOM
Malcolm wrote:
~Jordan` wrote:Wow. 3 players dead b4 a single post.

This mafia is jacked up! I love it.

So hello people. Everyone's already confirmed, so how do we start this thing?
You are obviously scum. One of my favorite tells is the trying to seem overly townie tell. See, we all notice the three dead players, and we all notice the scum player that is dead. And we all love it. however, we don't say that we love it, because it's a given that townies love it, so we really don't think about doing it. You however, look at the list and think "oh man, my partner is dead", and then you think "hmmm, what should I post to fit in, oh I'll try and sound excited about jim bob dying", and then you do. This tell is especially effective when the guilty party does this with their first post of the day.

Vote: Jordan
This post has heavy WIFOM in it. This does not support a valid argument for voting someone. "He's mafia trying to be town" can also be said as "Town trying to be town" It could go either way.

Unvote: Josh Lyman Vote:Malcolm for WIFOM logic.
The great blessing of mankind are within us and within our reach; but we shut our eyes, and like people in the dark, we fall foul upon the very thing we search for, without finding it.
Seneca (7 B.C. - 65 A.D.)
Malcolm
Malcolm
Townie
Malcolm
Townie
Townie

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:35 am

Post by Malcolm »

That's really not WIFOM. That is a scum tell. I'm going to assume you have not played too much. Am I assuming correct?

Furthermore, if it was WIFOM, please explain to me how that WIFOM would be indicitive of a scum mindset. tia
pffffft
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:46 am

Post by LlamaFluff »

Malcolm wrote:Well to be fair you can't really rub info in someones face, and then tell them not to fish for it.
Sure I can. Im not even saying I have information, I can just be VT and seeing what type of reactions I can get from acting like I have something incriminating. I could be a cop with a guilty or a tracker that says that he is scum. This way if he is scum, they are going to be trying to figure out if they should bus him or not. Lots of information to work with.

So lets wagon up Data and see what happens.

I still find it funny that people are calling Jason scum for being surprised with three deaths, one being lover suicide. I was actually expecting three or four kills since scum, vig, SK are cornerstones of large setups. Also X is probably town.
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
X_~
X_~
Townie
X_~
Townie
Townie

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:51 am

Post by X_~ »

LlamaFluff wrote:
Datadanne wrote:Llamafluff is obv a jester.
lol what? Thats a wierd reaction to me asking for a wagon on you.
X_~ wrote:You want me to start a bandwagon against Datadann, and I have no idea why?
Your reason, "this is a good vote"
But you never stated WHY this is a good vote. When you have more knowledge than the rest of us, I suggest you somehow let us know; otherwise, I don't think people are going listen, well not me at least.
Its just a good spot to start a wagon. Dont role fish for information on why I think its a good wagon. If I do have information, it will show itself soon enough.
Well if Jordan is a new player, I can picture myself being excited too. So I will step back away from Jordan and
unvote: Jordan
. BUT
FoS Jordan
. Going to keep a close eye on him.

I am also going to
FoS Datadanne
because he the whole jester distraction. I don't think it warrants a vote yet.
Malcolm
Malcolm
Townie
Malcolm
Townie
Townie

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:21 am

Post by Malcolm »

LlamaFluff wrote:
Malcolm wrote:Well to be fair you can't really rub info in someones face, and then tell them not to fish for it.
Sure I can. Im not even saying I have information, I can just be VT and seeing what type of reactions I can get from acting like I have something incriminating. I could be a cop with a guilty or a tracker that says that he is scum. This way if he is scum, they are going to be trying to figure out if they should bus him or not. Lots of information to work with.

I still find it funny that people are calling Jason scum for being surprised with three deaths, one being lover suicide. I was actually expecting three or four kills since scum, vig, SK are cornerstones of large setups. Also X is probably town.
What if I said I have reason to believe Jordan as a good wagon.
pffffft
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:24 am

Post by Muffin »

LlamaFluff wrote:Also X is probably town.
Why is X probably town?
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:25 am

Post by Muffin »

Malcolm wrote:What if I said I have reason to believe Jordan as a good wagon.
I'd say you're either scum or not-so-soft-claiming cop.
LlamaFluff
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
LlamaFluff
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:27 am

Post by LlamaFluff »

Malcolm wrote:
LlamaFluff wrote:

Then I put it in my notes.

Its your call if you want to follow me or not, I just think this is a great spot for a beginning of the game wagon. Too few people understand the inherint benifits of the early game wagon now adays.
Muffin wrote:
Why is X probably town?
Strong early game read. He isnt backing down from a stance I challenged and even is presenting reasoning as to why he isnt backing down. I do not agree with his current stance, but I do think that he is town.
Co-host of The USL Show
GeoGuessr: USL Pony
Fall Guys: Scary Hopping Bonkus
Malcolm
Malcolm
Townie
Malcolm
Townie
Townie

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:35 am

Post by Malcolm »

LlamaFluff wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
LlamaFluff wrote:

Then I put it in my notes.

Its your call if you want to follow me or not, I just think this is a great spot for a beginning of the game wagon. Too few people understand the inherint benifits of the early game wagon now adays.
Muffin wrote:
Why is X probably town?
Strong early game read. He isnt backing down from a stance I challenged and even is presenting reasoning as to why he isnt backing down. I do not agree with his current stance, but I do think that he is town.
Trust me when I say I am well aware of the benefits to the early game wagon, however I am much more confidant in my abilities than I am trustworthy in your info. You'll understand of course.
pffffft
SocioPath
SocioPath
Mafia Scum
SocioPath
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:36 am

Post by SocioPath »

My meta of Jordan is fairly strong when it comes to the RVS and him. I don't think he is a good wagon.
Aut Tace Aut Meliora Loquere Silentio.
OpposedForce
OpposedForce
Goon
OpposedForce
Goon
Goon

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:38 am

Post by OpposedForce »

Malcolm wrote:That's really not WIFOM. That is a scum tell. I'm going to assume you have not played too much. Am I assuming correct?

Furthermore, if it was WIFOM, please explain to me how that WIFOM would be indicitive of a scum mindset. tia
I've had my fair share of games and it is WIFOM
Malcolm wrote:

You are obviously scum. One of my favorite tells is the trying to seem overly townie tell.
See, we all notice the three dead players, and we all notice the scum player that is dead. And we all love it. however, we don't say that we love it, because it's a given that townies love it, so we really don't think about doing it.
You however, look at the list and think "oh man, my partner is dead", and then you think "hmmm, what should I post to fit in, oh I'll try and sound excited about jim bob dying", and then you do. This tell is especially effective when the guilty party does this with their first post of the day.

You seem to be convinced that he is absolutely scum then proceed to give a faux scenario that is laced with WIFOM. The last bolded part
"You however, look at the list and think "oh man, my partner is dead", and then you think "hmmm, what should I post to fit in, oh I'll try and sound excited about jim bob dying", and then you do. This tell is especially effective when the guilty party does this with their first post of the day."
is a major factor in my accusation. You are basically sticking actions on the player to validate your own vote that is merely only an assumption. Why I say this is WIFOM is what I have already stated.
"
It could go both ways. It could be town that is stating the obvious or scum acting town stating it"

In other words it isn't a valid argument against a player because it's just based on assumptions. The post is more of a null tell, neither scum or town tells and your argument doesn't exactly support the basis of it being a scumtell.
Malcolm wrote:
LlamaFluff wrote:

If you have a good reason that Jordan is a good wagon then you haven't provided good cause for it in your posts.
The great blessing of mankind are within us and within our reach; but we shut our eyes, and like people in the dark, we fall foul upon the very thing we search for, without finding it.
Malcolm
Malcolm
Townie
Malcolm
Townie
Townie

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:47 am

Post by Malcolm »

Having an alternate possibility does not make something WIFOM.

WIFOM example: Malcolm wouldn't do that as scum, cause he always does it as town. Unless he wants us to think that!

Not WIFOM example: Malcolm is fishing. Scum usually fish. I think he is scum. Wait, maybe he just doesn't realize he's fishing.

If you do not see the difference I can try and explain it more thoroughly.

You are right that it is based on an assumption. However, it is frequently a good scum tell and I do not feel as if Jordan's subsequent posts show a townie reaction. FTR most every play in mafia is somewhat based on assumption. Right now you are assuming that I as scum, would try and make this attack. Oh noez, you are now scum for making an assumption.
pffffft
~Jordan`
~Jordan`
Goon
~Jordan`
Goon
Goon

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:39 pm

Post by ~Jordan` »

SocioPath wrote:My meta of Jordan is fairly strong when it comes to the RVS and him. I don't think he is a good wagon.
:(

Sigh. How do I always mess up at this kind of thing?? I do have a habit of seeming scummy every game..

If its not one thing, its another.

However...we've triggered a discussion. Gimme a min to make a post.
kick logic to the curb and do the impossible!
~Jordan`
~Jordan`
Goon
~Jordan`
Goon
Goon

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:42 pm

Post by ~Jordan` »

oh crap. i can see whats coming
kick logic to the curb and do the impossible!
Fishythefish
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:44 pm

Post by Fishythefish »

Hooray! No RVS for me.

I agree with the night reaction tell on Jordan - and I feel his post is a very good example of this tell, as it feels very forced to me. I think the pretty weak defenses from OpposedForce and particularly Sociopath serve to reinforce my suspicions. Trying to brush it off as WIFOM is simply inaccurate - it's not a typical townie reaction, it's a typical scum trying to look townie reaction.

Datadanne's reaction to Llama is way over the top. Bringing jesters into things this early? Ugh. A very overaggressive way of criticising the wagon on him.

I think Jordan is likely scum.
Fishythefish
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:46 pm

Post by Fishythefish »

Ahhh!!! I simulposted a vote with the votee saying "Oh crap, I can see what's coming". Now that's just scary.
OpposedForce
OpposedForce
Goon
OpposedForce
Goon
Goon

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:26 pm

Post by OpposedForce »

Malcolm wrote:Having an alternate possibility does not make something WIFOM.

WIFOM example: Malcolm wouldn't do that as scum, cause he always does it as town. Unless he wants us to think that!

Not WIFOM example: Malcolm is fishing. Scum usually fish. I think he is scum. Wait, maybe he just doesn't realize he's fishing.

If you do not see the difference I can try and explain it more thoroughly.

You are right that it is based on an assumption. However, it is frequently a good scum tell and I do not feel as if Jordan's subsequent posts show a townie reaction. FTR most every play in mafia is somewhat based on assumption. Right now you are assuming that I as scum, would try and make this attack. Oh noez, you are now scum for making an assumption.
I think you are misunderstanding me here.
This is more than less a reference to my thinking process on this matter unless I am mistaken which if it is I find not my thinking or assumption at the moment.

Also to address your my comment on "your assumption" I'll elaborate:
Malcolm wrote:

You are obviously scum. One of my favorite tells is the trying to seem overly townie tell. See, we all notice the three dead players, and we all notice the scum player that is dead. And we all love it. however, we don't say that we love it, because it's a given that townies love it, so we really don't think about doing it. You however, look at the list and think "oh man, my partner is dead", and then you think "hmmm, what should I post to fit in, oh I'll try and sound excited about jim bob dying", and then you do. This tell is especially effective when the guilty party does this with their first post of the day.

What I meant is that you're making assumption is basically meaning "you're making a far fetched assumption" I understand that mafia is based on assumption and deduction I'm not an idiot but basically the above post is basically making an outrageous claim on Jordan's thought process. I am not saying that "Jordan is obviously Town" but for someone to be accused of such baseless accusation is ridiculous. How is it a scumtell if you are going to say " He's scum trying to look town" which basically sums up as WIFOM. If you don't find it WIFOM then I suggest looking it up in the wiki and checking over your quoted post.

An argument could be put as "Jordan posted right away; first post stating 3 dead so he's trying to blend in." But the same counter argument could be made "Jordan posted right away; stating 3 dead so he's just making an observation" It just leads to WIFOM because there are two possible scenarios that can be deducted at either angle and generally does not make a good argument.
Fishythefish wrote:Hooray! No RVS for me.

I agree with the night reaction tell on Jordan - and I feel his post is a very good example of this tell, as it feels very forced to me. I think the pretty weak defenses from OpposedForce and particularly Sociopath serve to reinforce my suspicions. Trying to brush it off as WIFOM is simply inaccurate - it's not a typical townie reaction, it's a typical scum trying to look townie reaction.

Datadanne's reaction to Llama is way over the top. Bringing jesters into things this early? Ugh. A very overaggressive way of criticising the wagon on him.

I think Jordan is likely scum.
It's surprising how you try to counter my argument with another WIFOM post which is ironic. "Trying to brush it off as WIFOM is simply inaccurate - it's not a typical townie reaction, it's a typical scum trying to look townie reaction" Again posts like "Scum trying to look townie" is invalid and could be put as "Townie trying to look townie" It could go either way. I am not going to try to dissuade you from your suspicions but simply try to show the flaw in argument against such a case.
Fishythefish
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Fishythefish
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:36 pm

Post by Fishythefish »

WIFOM: when a player does something that you would expect a townie to do, perhaps because they want to look townie.
Here, a player has done something you
wouldn't
normally expect a townie to do, but which scum might think you would. This is not WIFOM. This is someone trying and failing to produce a townie-like post. That's an action which could come from town, but is more likely to come from scum.
Muffin
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Muffin
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:07 pm

Post by Muffin »

I prefer the term "circular logic/reasoning" rather than WIFOM as I feel it is more descriptive, and is essentially the same thing.

Why would scum do this? To appear townie, since it's a townie thing to do. Unless scum wants us to think that they're townie.
One's self-meta cannot be known without invalidating it.
Josh Lyman
Josh Lyman
Goon
Josh Lyman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:13 pm

Post by Josh Lyman »

I've had limited internet access this weekend. I'll post some thoughts tomorrow.
Tjoe Min Ja
Tjoe Min Ja
Goon
Tjoe Min Ja
Goon
Goon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:24 pm

Post by Tjoe Min Ja »

datadanne. I don't like his comment about the presence of jester because it make our judgement bias

~Jordan` perhaps fishy for his post so I'll keep him in mind

josh lyman get 3 vote because he vote ~Jordan`?

X_~. vote jordan earlier. active poster. but don't like his logic in post 23
Show
If you pick a fight with one Goblin, be ready to fight them all.
------ESL------
Finish game :
Mini 838: Jeopardy in Jefferson -over- Town - lose
Mini 839 -- Mafia Invasion! -over- scum win
Mini 840. Tajo's I love you Mafia -over- scum - win
StrangerCoug's Worst Nightmare: D├â┬®j├â┬á Bastard -over- Town - win
X_~
X_~
Townie
X_~
Townie
Townie

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:34 pm

Post by X_~ »

vote Datadanne

I was expecting a response from him, but I think people respond under pressure.
Datadanne
Datadanne
Goon
Datadanne
Goon
Goon

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:29 pm

Post by Datadanne »

Im in a completly different timezone than you, sorry.
Also, Wtf am i supposed to respond to?
Show
Acheivements:

- Won 400000$ in Mafia Deal or no deal.
- Killed 3 mafia members in his first 3 vig nights.
- Reserved
Bogre
Bogre
Mafia Scum
Bogre
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:57 pm

Post by Bogre »

X- it does sometimes take people time to respond to stuff. You can't immediately jump on them for not responding. People gotta sleep, man.

But as to Data: people are wondering what the balls was up with your jesterlation.
Show
Murder, Corruption, Betrayal.
ArmageddonMUD
www.armageddon.org

Scum do it in the Shadows.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”