Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #650 (ISO) » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:27 pm

Post by Porochaz »

Sorry Im kinda dealing with my grandpas funeral at the moment,

I meant to do this sooner but today has been a tough day, however if I dont do it now you'll be waiting another few days.

Reck - Murray - Mafia Godfather - Lynched Day 4.

Flavour and all that will come later.

I hope you enjoyed the game, if you didn't I fully understand. I wasn't modding to the best of my ability (as this post shows) and I kinda lost sight of what I wanted this game to be (but more on that later). This was designed to be a trilogy, however I am putting the third part on indefinite hold until it's fully set up and tested.

Having talked to 2 of the 12 players, they have both alluded to the game being fun, however I know 1 player who will disagree. So Im guessing it will split people down the middle.

What was the aim of the game?

The aim of the game was to present a heavily flavoured game with unusual roles but weren't made up off the top of my head and weren't (in my view bastardly). I wanted to not add a bus driver due to me over using it. However at the same time I wanted something unusual and unexpected. This is where the unconfirmed masons and usurper came in.

What, in my view, caused the game to fail?

When making the setup, I realised I could fit flavour round weaknesses and it would fit well round some roles and help me along with the ol' cop/doc problem. However I became fixated on that and in the process lost sight of the original game. Using an usurper was maybe a bad idea, particularly as Flameaxe basically ran a collision course into Reck, I didn't realise how much of an effect it would have on the game and how weak it would make the mafia and as it wasn't picked up by either of my reviewers, neither did they.

When entering the queue, I had a clear set of notes and had spent hours writing out the role pm's, then as Meme's PM came through whether I was ready they subsequently went missing (still not found), I wrote them out as best I could, but in the end I did miss out one or two bits of information, particularly with Blackberry, so it was a bit of a rush job.

Then the game has come at a time when Im becoming less "enchanted" with the site. Im becoming increasingly frustrated with some members/groups on site (none of you guys) particularly (but not fully) outwith the mafia forums and I don't forsee me hanging round the site much longer. Knowing quite early on that the game had lost sight of its aim, I became disenchanted with it, so modding became a bore. I want to sincerely apologise to all players, as its terrible conduct for a mod.

The game overall.

Moving away from me and my mistakes, the large majority of players played well. However when xvart targeted the cop night one, mafia faced an uphill battle and a half right there. Xvart is a good player and whilst Im not sure the result would have changed and Im not doubting BBM or Recks skill, but there is no denying that xvart would have kept the mafia afloat longer. That was the first nail in the coffin. The second came courtesy of Jahudo, the cop result on reck made it almost impossible for BBM to get the lynch, and possibly over compensated for it. In later conversations with him however, Im not sure he would have done anything differently had there not been an innocent on reck. The final nail, which Berry mentioned was the flavour. Reck claimed drug dealer, Im not sure whether it was apathy or forgetfullness or just not reading the background, but it was pretty clear that the central motivation behind the mafia was drugs.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Blackberry
Blackberry
berry
Blackberry
berry
berry

Post Post #651 (ISO) » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:31 pm

Post by Blackberry »

Porochaz, there was nothing wrong with the game, I enjoyed it.

FYI: You mentioned in both Flameaxe's lynch that he was involved with drugs, and you mentioned in the opening scene drugs were related to the previous mafia. Reckoner's inability to fake claim is his fault. ^_^ ... It didn't change anything though, Reck's attitude made it pretty obvious he was mafia.

And unconfirmed masons is not uncommon. I was going to comment, but I didn't want to give mafia ideas on who to kill and who not to kill, but if I were hosting a game with masons, I'd make them unconfirmed, but both masons, for the fun of it. :P
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #652 (ISO) » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:36 pm

Post by Porochaz »

Both masons were unconfirmed. I've never seen two unconfirmed masons of the same alignment. I wanted to put that in.

As for my dire "Im leaving" message. Im feeling that I should take a break from modding at least and get back down to playing one game at a time (and start to avoid GD - song contests), then once Im happy try modding a simpler no thrills game, and whilst Im doing that, write the final chapter of this.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
StrangerCoug
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
StrangerCoug
He/Him
Does not Compute
Does not Compute
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #653 (ISO) » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:51 pm

Post by StrangerCoug »

Well, I'm glad we won. I felt I did well.
STRANGERCOUG: Stranger Than You!

Current avatar by PurryFurry of FurAffinity.

Looking for a co-mod to help me finish What Were You Thinking XV! PM me if interested.
xvart
xvart
Mafia Scum
xvart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #654 (ISO) » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:03 pm

Post by xvart »

Good game, all. Prozac - sorry to hear about your Grandfather.

I was pretty upset that I died N1 since I had such a good experience in the first game. After exchanging a couple pms with Prozac and how he told me that the roles all had a drawback I became especially intrigued. This was enhanced by SC claiming his role. I didn't follow along too closely but I could tell reading Flame's posts that there was something else going on (coupled with what Prozac had told me). I actually liked the "twist" with the Usurper even though it was the downfall of my team, and thinking about it more generally it really added something to the game. I don't know, but Usurper might be a better role for larger games where the outcome of him successfully achieving his win condition isn't quite so detrimental to the faction overall.
I only read quote walls.

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Bub Bidderskins
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Bub Bidderskins
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #655 (ISO) » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:26 pm

Post by Bub Bidderskins »

On balance I think this game was good. I didn't want to put too much trust in the flavor, but blackberry caught on. I probably could have done better if I was into the flavor.

Porochaz: I could sense that you got disenfrancised with this game. You seemed to lack energy, and that carried over into the game. It was an interesting setup, but due to forces outside of our control, it fell a little flatter than it should have.

I found it interesting that as masons, we were unconfirmed but of the same alignment, that made me skeptical of shotty and led me to push him, though it turned out that he was town.
Show
Total: 17/15/1
Town: 10/13/1
Scum: 7/2/0
Other: 0/0/0

"Bub Bidderskins-If he's scum, I'll catch him in 2 posts. If he's town, he'll probably be somewhat useful." ~Parama
Jahudo
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #656 (ISO) » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:01 pm

Post by Jahudo »

There wasn't much reck could do yesterday and I think he did a good job considering how Flame basically called him GF as he was dying, and was tunneling on him the whole game. I do think the mafia was underpowered but I guess it could have been a much different game if Rhinox or SC had targeted me first. I think seeing two pro-town players die night one would have made more people think the SK was real.

I didn't want to believe the flavor actually meant anything so I'm a little upset that it did. But I think the game would have had the same result without it.

Overall I enjoyed the game, partially because I've never been a PGO before and only once been a cop so that by itself was exciting. The pacing was good for the most part, we never got into wall of texts which was nice. And it was great not having any replacements.

@scum: what was the reasoning behind the NKs?
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #657 (ISO) » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:25 pm

Post by drmyshottyizsik »

it was fun
#freeShotty
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #658 (ISO) » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:00 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

I have a huge problem with the fact that Flameaxe outed me as the Godfather. Him basically saying "Hey, once I flip, everyone will know you're the Godfather" ruined the entire fucking game. I should've been told there was a Usurper. I could've won the whole game if that was the case - I think I played very well.

The flavor was excellent. Props, Prozac.
green shirt thursdays
Rhinox
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Rhinox
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #659 (ISO) » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:27 am

Post by Rhinox »

I really enjoyed this game.

My slot targetted strangercoug N1, then I targetted Bub N2, and Jahudo N3. Not that it mattered since there was no sk, and you guys made the right choice the last day anyways. For a minute, I was worried the focus would be on "finding the sk", and I died before I could give my results on bub and jahudo.

I was thinking, if my role existed without a sk, it would have been possible for a Usurper to exist without a godfather. Were I in the game, I probably would have been thinking that flameaxe was just trying to frame reck.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather poro. I meant it when I said this was one of the most enjoyable games I've been in on the site. I'll pre-/in for the 3rd part of the trilogy whenever you decide you're ready to run it.
q21
q21
Mafia Scum
q21
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #660 (ISO) » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:31 am

Post by q21 »

I generally enjoyed this game, possibly because it falls amongst the few games I've actually won... but in general I think I played well and I think everyone else played well enough for the game to be interesting. The Usurper might have been a little too much of a handicap for the scum, but then again leading a godfather lynch usually nets you a boatload of town cred which means Usurpers who succeed usually come out looking pretty good to get the win for themselves and there faction.
"I can't not give mad props to the murderbot 9000 that was q21." - Spyrex, after Scummies Invitational 2010.

You know those times when you wish you could think of something really funny or interesting to say, but just can't?... Yep, this is one of those times.
Jahudo
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #661 (ISO) » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:46 am

Post by Jahudo »

I created a MD thread for discussing masons and neighbors: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=15995

Its not that I think this game caused an issue with the role terminology, but more I'm just curious to see if more people think masons should be confirmed.
hasdgfas
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
hasdgfas
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #662 (ISO) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:09 am

Post by hasdgfas »

Fin
jdodge1019: hasjghsalghsakljghs is from vermont
jdodge1019: vermont is made of liberal freaks and cows
jdodge1019: he's not a liberal