Rena
Rena
Goon
Rena
Goon
Goon

Post Post #675 (ISO) » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:57 pm

Post by Rena »

This setup is difficult for town to play because it punishes mindless bandwagoning, which is why I think I like it so much :D

One thing I would change is the deadline lengths, though. I think it would balance things out a lot if town had more time to argue things.
V/LA at the weekend, except for modding duties.
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #676 (ISO) » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:28 am

Post by Max »

-dest/rena: Just brilliant. I cannot dey that, especially that PM-maneure, although I think that was just another huge mod error. A mod should not be a henchman of scum to that extend, especially in a game that is already designed in heavy favour of scum.
I disagree entirely. The fact is that they are one and the same character. Excluding force-replaces and things like that I don't believe there is anything wrong with players from the same slot talking with each other.

Now, here's the reasons I support my choice:
- Destructor would have made that post anyway (the player slot wasn't killed so you cannot deny that)
- Destructor and Rena are one and the same person. As far as this game is concerned they are the same person

Replacements are bad for a game, nobody can deny that - it would be better if everyone was active from the beginning. Think about it from the view of a quicktopic - rena wasn't there at the same time as destructor but she received the QT for when she wasn't there. Showing destructors views - that post might have been there. Without the bit at the top. He could have posted those bits and bobs and rena picked them together.

If you are arguing the mistake is that this was a bad choice because replacements should be the same regardless of the situation - I disagree, requesting replacement is better than flaking and therefore they should be able to pass on the baton so to speak.
If you are arguing the mistake is that it was a scum team who received this - I disagree.

-----

Adding powers does alter the game. However with a group of monks (as the theme has sacrifice) it could fit with the theme. A group of three monks in a game with 18 players is powerful but considering it is a useless power until later in the game. I will be running another of these in the future. I just need to figure out the details.

-----

Changing the wincon may make the numbers better but it makes the game less symmetric. And who would win a 3-2 situation?
animorpherv1
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
animorpherv1
Honey Trap
Honey Trap

Post Post #677 (ISO) » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:58 am

Post by animorpherv1 »

If you are going to make it a large, the up the number it takes to win.
"Animorpherv1's posts are so powerful that prolonged exposure may cause vertigo, nausea, acute tinnitus, and in rare cases, death." - vonflare

"Ani is right 100% of the time" - Alisae
Max
Max
Mafia Scum
Max
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #678 (ISO) » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:05 am

Post by Max »

Yeah, obviously it's to have a majority of lynches good for your side. Not going to remain at three lynches.
brianj
brianj
Goon
brianj
Goon
Goon

Post Post #679 (ISO) » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:13 am

Post by brianj »

Shadow Dancer wrote:-brian: Unwilling to play? Just going for an unneeded quickhammer maneuvre suggests this.
Honestly I was about to very busy in the future and I saw no benefit in asking for replacement when there was another viable alternative that (somewhat) helped the scum-team. If I had time I would probably have enjoyed the irony too much to take a quick way out of the game :P Actually on retrospect it seems that if I had chose to stay in the game with busy schedule I would still have been just as active as some of the Townies, but that is another matter entirely.

Props to my team members, though I admit the task was more easier than usual because some of the players adopted strange way of play styles. I may be new here but I still don't understand the benefits of playing that way as VI :o
Wickedestjr
Wickedestjr
Jack of All Trades
Wickedestjr
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #680 (ISO) » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:43 pm

Post by Wickedestjr »

Wickedestjr wrote:Scum:
Thief
- Has contributed hardly anything the whole game and what he has contributed has been useless.
Shadow Dancer - From memory he has been active lurking. Day 1 he was very active and encouraged scumhunting, yet did none of it. There are also the points I brought up against him earlier.
Lowell
- A combination of logic and gut suggests that he is scum here.
Rena
- I didn't like destructor's play all that much, and I dislike Rena because of gut and the fact that she has only commented on Lowell.

Neutral:
DavidParker - He is probably town if Lowell is scum, but is probably scum if Lowell is town. I suspect Lowell slightly more than DavidParker. I may be persuaded into switching Lowell's location with DavidParker's on the scumlist. I'm not liking how DP has contributed hardly anything but I don't know if he'd be contributing so little as scum. I also don't like the WIFOM he brought up earlier.
molestargazer - I like how he got into arguments with players earlier in the game, but I don't like how he didn't have any suspects for most of today.

Town:
Exilon
- His play also reminds me of Classic Mafia. He seems to strongly care about finding scum based on his posting day 1. Him getting into arguments with other players seems like a good sign.
MagnaofIllusion - It looks like he is uninformed and trying to figure things out. While I don't agree with everything he's said, his play reminds me of Classic Mafia where he was town.
xRECKONERx - He's scumhunting and I can tell that he is paying attention to the other players in the game.
I was pretty close. I just went after the wrong guy on day 3. Congratulations to Thief and Rena! I suspected Rena for most of day 3, but she had convinced me that she was town on that last day. I should've stuck to my initial reads.
Max wrote:Thoughts on mechanics?
Thoughts on pace?
Thoughts on balance?
Thoughts on modding?
I really liked the theme of this game, and that was why I wanted to replace in. I think despite the setup being a bit difficult for town to win in, it is more fun for town, because there are more scum and the likelihood of figuring who some of them are is large, and if town was completely off with their suspicions the scum would still have to kill some of their own which would be quite helpful and make the game more interesting. In addition, it also makes playing as scum more likely. (I have only been scum three times out of 17 games.) I would definitely play in another game like this.

I think town should've had more time or at least deadline extensions if requested.

Scum definitely had the advantage in this game. Some power roles for town I think would've helped a lot.

The modding was great! Thanks for letting me replace into a fun game! Speaking of the modding, I don't think posting destructor's last words was really a mistake. It honestly didn't have any effect on my read of that slot.

@Scum - I would love to see the quicktopic. Can somebody post it please? :D
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky"
-Wickedestjr
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #681 (ISO) » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:09 am

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

First of congratulations to the scum-team. Good win.

I had asked Max to confirm to me who was scum when I died N2 so I knew that Town pretty much lost it Day 3 when nobody went after Ani. Exilon was so obvscum (as I pointed out in our Day 2 interactions) that I regret the 'we settle him tomorrow' comment. I should have said 'we'll lynch him tomorrow'.

Overall I was most impressed with Wicked's performance as Town and Rena's as scum. Wicked if you hadn't deviated from your initial scum-reads Day 3 Town might have pulled it out. I told Max when he informed me of the remaining scum team that Rena was the only one I wasn't suspicious of in the least.

Town overall played a pretty meh game. Too much bandwagoning without looking at motive / voting patterns / interactions after I took my dirt nap. MSG I'm still scratching my head as to why you were so willing to defend Lowell on a meta basis.

As to changes I would not add power-roles to Town as IMO that defeats the charm of the set-up. It's basically mountainous with the advantage that we get confirmed scum every day. In this set-up VC analysis is much stronger much earlier (notice the only scum that didn't appear in bad place in my Day 1 analysis was Rena).

Balancing mechanics that you might consider would be restrictions on who the Mafia can sacrifice. For example, you might restrict it so the Mafia can't sacrifice someone who is the hammer vote on a lynch. Or that the Mafia must sacrifice someone off the lynch wagon before someone on it. Something along these lines would mitigate scum's huge numbers advantage and make things a little more balanced.

I'd second the request for the scum QT.
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
Lowell
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Lowell
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #682 (ISO) » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:55 am

Post by Lowell »

I echo the general lack of balance, but like the concept.

Maybe next time give town the advantage of having to get fewer lynches to win. There's no mechanical reason why it has to be 3/3, so maybe 3/2 would be a better option, while starting with 4 scum: 6 town.
molestargazer
molestargazer
Goon
molestargazer
Goon
Goon

Post Post #683 (ISO) » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:41 am

Post by molestargazer »

Magna wrote:MSG I'm still scratching my head as to why you were so willing to defend Lowell on a meta basis.
It was a case of once I'd started digging that hole, I couldn't stop or it'd look even worse.
It was a mistake.
My Wiki Page
|
My Last.FM
|
My Steam
I am
not
called 'molest'.

Unable to play mafia right now - life's too hectic with University. Apologies for replacing out...
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #684 (ISO) » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:06 pm

Post by MeMe »

last post
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”