Newbie 1015 -- (Game Over!|Town Win)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
laonious
laonious
Townie
laonious
Townie
Townie

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:32 pm

Post by laonious »

Subterfuge wrote: 6) roundabout- You're reading the game with cold logic. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's a dangerous thing. You are, however,

9) Thor665 (IC)- The fact that you were the first to turn on me after my disaster is giving me a slight town read on you.
Care to finish #6? : )

Why does Thor's behavior give you a town read? Couldn't it be a mafia going for an easy bus? If, hypothetically, we'd lynched you for making such a blunder, and you were mafia, Thor leading the bw would be a nice way to secure a town read.
On the other hand, if you turned out to be town, he's still safe since nearly everyone went after you anyway.

@EI
I used FoS because I feel like things are getting serious, and I don't want to lightly throw a vote around. When I feel confident enough to vote, I will. Rather than ask "why FoS?" why don't you address my concerns and try to persuade me one way or the other? Complaining about FoS doesn't help us find scum. I'm using it as a tool to help everyone know what I'm thinking, and trying to write as to why. I think it's a mistake to try to make the game more binary, i.e. I either vote for someone or vote for no one, with no middle ground, because that's not how suspicion works.
Finner
Finner
Townie
Finner
Townie
Townie

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:16 pm

Post by Finner »

Iaonious wrote: Tvellalott
Nothing so far off of you, except horrible luck. I am surprised though that the mafia didn't take advantage of you being at L-1 to go for an easy lynch, and then pull a "oops my bad," a la subterfuge. No read. Though, as EI asked, why
don't you suspect subterfuge?
I don't think mafia would have gotten away with a so early lynch, atleast I would have changed my vote to hammerer on D2.

Also, Tvellalott is starting to look scummy for me. Passive players aren't helping the town in any ways.
tvellalott wrote:Ok, I just caught up.
We seem to have the usual day one, early page capers.
I don't like that I got to L-1 when I'd only posted 'Confirm'. I got a little bit of vomit in my mouth.
Do I get some gold coated chocolate truffles too if it's my wagon?
Anyway, at this point I don't suspect anyone, even Subterfuge (despite his nasty bastardage).

Carry on.
Really, are you going to just watch? You should take a bigger part in the discussion, at the time you are starting to look scummy.
Ibarra
Ibarra
Goon
Ibarra
Goon
Goon

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:21 am

Post by Ibarra »

@Thor
I'm still waiting for an answer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subterfuge wrote: Well, since every time I type "vote" in some form between
tags people turn incredibly rabid, I just won't vote for the rest of the game, only speculate. Have fun with that.
That's like saying. If you vote for me, I won't contribute. That's anti-town.
Subterfuge wrote: If I HAD to be particularly suspicious about anyone so far it would be Ibarra and EI. Though while I'm at it. FoS: Ibarra
SO that means you suspect me more than EI? Would you care to elaborate further? You're reasons are vague.
Subterfuge wrote: And those of you talking about me and my AtE: Get used to it. I will probably appeal to emotions a lot. Not for any sort of devious way. That's just the kind of person I am.
I suggest you get rid of your AtE instead of making us "get use to it".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
tvellalott wrote: Ok, I just caught up.
We seem to have the usual day one, early page capers.
I don't like that I got to L-1 when I'd only posted 'Confirm'. I got a little bit of vomit in my mouth.
Do I get some gold coated chocolate truffles too if it's my wagon?
Anyway, at this point I don't suspect anyone, even Subterfuge (despite his nasty bastardage).

Carry on.
Though it has been stated over and over that you should contribute. Your odd choice of words (Carry on) implies that you aren't going to contribute.
Also why you're not suspicious of Subterfuge, but at the same time commented on his "nasty bastardage".

roundabout wrote: Ibarra, you say you'd rather wait a bit before placing a vote to listen to what others have to say --- that feels really wishy-washy and non-committal, almost as if it's to avoid suspicion by staying out of the spotlight. Also, it provides you a nice excuse to bandwagon later on, since you promised us already that once other people weighed in (i.e., voted) that you'd follow up with something of your own.
Checking for opinions =/= checking for votes.

Right now, I'm inclined to voting Subterfuge, but since placing someone at L-1 this early in the day isn't good, I'm holding my vote.
Red text is for facts.

Blue text is for accusations.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:28 am

Post by Thor665 »

Ibarra wrote:@Thor
I'm still waiting for an answer.
:neutral: You seriously feel a need for an answer to that question?
For the purposes of sanity - whoever I'm currently voting for is my #1 suspect.

You've splattered some mud around, care to make a vote and hop in?
zipperflesh
zipperflesh
Goon
zipperflesh
Goon
Goon

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:36 am

Post by zipperflesh »

EI wrote:Okay, so one thing I should mention about me is that I really don't like FoS-ing. Not to say that I think it's scummy, necessarily, I just think it's a dumb convention. Normally I wouldn't say anything, but I find it interesting that you've switched the players you were previously voting and FoS-ing. Why not ask him something specific if you suspect him? And would I be correct in saying he's your second suspect?
I think I was being specific enough --> Speak more or I'll vote you.

I FoS anyone I would vote if I could vote more than one person. I'm comfortable with my vote on Sub right now.
Finner wrote:Ibarra

He hasn't posted much and seems to be leaning to the same way with the crowd. I don't really have a good read on him
I find "going with the crowd" a suspicious action.
Iaonious wrote: Ibarra:
Seems to be a cautious townie. I liked his catch of subterfuge's ate. He's only made three posts though (not that I'm judging ) so I can't say more then slight townie feel. Little more than gut.
Can you explain more of why you have a "townie feel" on Ibarra?
Sub wrote:
2) Ibarra- While you are more involved than tvellaott, you're distancing yourself from danger. You're also keeping quiet about everything besides your suspicions of a player that most every has at least some suspicion towards (ie. me)
I think this is a good point on Ibarra, and I definitely agree with you and Finner. He does seem to be playing it safe by attacking the guy who's already under attack. I also don't like the fact that Iaonious is getting a town vibe from him. There might be connection between them, but it's too early to tell.

FoS: Ibarra

4) laonious- You're playing the game from a calm, logically stand point. Actually, I quite like it and am getting a pretty smooth town read off of you. Though I only have one post to work with...

6) roundabout- You're reading the game with cold logic. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's a dangerous thing. You are, however
I sense a slight contradiction here. You think Iaonius is town from playing in a logicaly manner, but you're suspicious of roundabout for using logic. Could you clarify your feelings on these two in a broader sense?
Finner wrote:
Also, Tvellalott is starting to look scummy for me. Passive players aren't helping the town in any ways.

Really, are you going to just watch? You should take a bigger part in the discussion, at the time you are starting to look scummy.
Now you seem to be leaning with the crowd... Hypocritical?
Retired GM of Px2 - It's like a book club, but with bullets.

“If Passion drives, let Reason hold the Reins.” - Ben Franklin
Finner
Finner
Townie
Finner
Townie
Townie

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:00 am

Post by Finner »

[quote="zipperflesh"]Now you seem to be leaning with the crowd... Hypocritical?[quote]

Passive players don't give town any information. I am just trying to make him post something more useful.
Finner
Finner
Townie
Finner
Townie
Townie

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:01 am

Post by Finner »

zipperflesh wrote:Now you seem to be leaning with the crowd... Hypocritical?
It should work now.
Maemuki
Maemuki
Mafia Scum
Maemuki
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:45 am

Post by Maemuki »

Vote Count:

tvellalot >[1]< ~ Finner
Subterfuge >[
]< ~ Thor665, EarthIntruder, zipperflesh
Ibarra >[1]< ~ roundabout

Not Voting:
tvellalott, Ibarra, laonious, Subterfuge
~~With 9 alive, 5 to lynch.
~~Deadline is Wednesday, 6th of October 2010, 8 pm GMT.
EarthIntruder
EarthIntruder
Goon
EarthIntruder
Goon
Goon

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:02 pm

Post by EarthIntruder »

Subterfuge wrote:There's also something else about you that isn't quite setting right with me... Though I'll sit on this info until a more appropriate time.
Are you saying that you just have a bad gut feeling, or is there something specific bothering you that you don't want to talk about yet?
Subterfuge wrote:And those of you talking about me and my AtE: Get used to it. I will probably appeal to emotions a lot. Not for any sort of devious way. That's just the kind of person I am.
Whether this is true or not, AtE's not very helpful to town and people are going to undoubtedly find you scummy for it.
laon wrote:I used FoS because I feel like things are getting serious, and I don't want to lightly throw a vote around. When I feel confident enough to vote, I will. Rather than ask "why FoS?" why don't you address my concerns and try to persuade me one way or the other? Complaining about FoS doesn't help us find scum. I'm using it as a tool to help everyone know what I'm thinking, and trying to write as to why. I think it's a mistake to try to make the game more binary, i.e. I either vote for someone or vote for no one, with no middle ground, because that's not how suspicion works.
I just think FoS is sort of a silly convention since you can just as easily put pressure on someone by saying you also suspect them and continuing to question them. A lot of times people will just FoS without saying much else, which in my opinion doesn't have an effect.

Regarding your feelings on throwing votes around, I totally disagree. I think it's important to be aggressive with your vote, especially day one, and especially especially when you're suspicious of someone that doesn't have any votes on them already. Why are you hesitant to place even the first vote on someone?

Ibarra and Finner both seem to be getting flack for "following the crowd" which I'm not sure is an entirely fair accusation this early in.

@Finner, you previously said Subterfuge was your top suspect but you've also said your suspicion of tvellalot is growing and you kept your vote on him. Which one is your top suspect now?

@Ibarra, who would you say is your second choice?
I felt Electrodes in the air
When I saw you and you saw me,
But that was before I knew
Your Diglett was so Dratini.
tvellalott
tvellalott
Goon
tvellalott
Goon
Goon

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:01 pm

Post by tvellalott »

Someone smells bad and it’s zipperfish.

After starting the wagon on me, which I didn’t initially find suspicious, I see several little tells within his subsequent posts which indicate he might be scum.

POST #33

“I agree whole heartedly.”
Subtle buddying towards Thor regarding an apparently random bandwagon…

“I get the sense that Finner is a townie trying his hand at scum hunting.”
Overt buddying toward Finner. Finner stated in his answers to his own questions that this was only his second game. In otherwords Finner is a newb. I’ve employed this tactic as scum myself before. Buddy up to a newb and take them all the way through the game.

POST #37

This entire post is full of buddying towards Finner and disreputing Thor.

POST #45 & #49

More buddying and semantical arguments.

POST #64

Despite changing your vote to Subterfuge AFTER my posts and clearly being a very active player , it isn’t until other people have suggested my original posts weren’t helpful that you FOS me. You also subtly buddy Thor here, perhaps to counteract all the fail-disreputing earlier…

You also have this constant WIFOM thing going where you keep ensuring everyone that “if I was mafia I wouldn’t play like this” (POST #46 for example)

VOTE: zipperfish

As for why I don’t FOS Subterfuge, despite taking me to L-1.
It seemed like an honest mistake. I wouldn’t describe it as scummy, but moderately anti-town. Make sure you are aware of vote number next time.
"All told, kindness is not fashionable."
tvellalott
tvellalott
Goon
tvellalott
Goon
Goon

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:01 pm

Post by tvellalott »

Hahaha, zipperfish ^_^

UNVOTE:
VOTE: zipperflesh
roundabout
roundabout
Townie
roundabout
Townie
Townie

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:10 pm

Post by roundabout »

Thor665
, your past actions are a good indicator of what you'll do in the future; I pointed out that it's almost certainly meaningless for determining who you are, but it's still noteworthy that your actions seem to contradict the advice you give. I don't think that's a bad thing for you; I'm just asking you if there's any reason for it.

Finner
, your analysis comes off as really weak. You don't really talk about why you feel a certain way about people... you just say that you do.

Subterfuge
, you're not at all helpful. If you weren't so close to death I'd be pushing you further right now (if I hadn't already). Also, if you don't want people gettin' mad at you for using
, use VOTE: :P

I'm having positive thoughts on
EarthIntruder
. Not extremely positive thoughts, but I'm leaning more closely toward him being good than bad.

laonious
, votes are useful because they're information; I'd love it if everyone was voting, but Ibarra seems especially bad because he's basically saying that he's going to wait for other people to talk before giving us anything. I like your analysis in that it sounds written by someone who's actually interested in the town winning, but I'm not sure I agree with all the nuances of what you actually say. And you should vote for someone! Even if it's a little bit random or not completely useful.

Subterfuge
, I don't consider you off the hook at all. Don't try to paint it as that. And what's wrong with playing with logic? It's the basis of everything we're doing. Also, you accidentally a whole sentence.

Ibarra
, you're still not contributing much and what you have said is vague and non-committal. I'd rather you just vote for your number two and make it clear that they're someone you'd be fine killing.

I suspect
EarthIntruder
is town. This is a rather vibey opinion.

tvellalott
, I find myself agreeing with a lot of your analysis.
roundabout
roundabout
Townie
roundabout
Townie
Townie

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:12 pm

Post by roundabout »

Oops, tagfail. That should be "...gettin' mad at you for using
, use VOTE: :P". Hmm, is there an escape key in this markup?
Finner
Finner
Townie
Finner
Townie
Townie

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:23 pm

Post by Finner »

EarthIntruder wrote:@Finner, you previously said Subterfuge was your top suspect but you've also said your suspicion of tvellalot is growing and you kept your vote on him. Which one is your top suspect now?
After recently reading Tvellalotts previous game, I am not sure about him. Substerfuge is still my top suspect, but I'll keep my vote on Tvella since Substerfuge has already 3 votes on him.

@Tvellalott

You might be right with that. In my previous game, a scum (SE, RB) worked like that. I'll see how Zipper defends himself first, tough
Finner
Finner
Townie
Finner
Townie
Townie

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:24 pm

Post by Finner »

roundabout wrote:Oops, tagfail. That should be "...gettin' mad at you for using [b'], use [vote'] :P". Hmm, is there an escape key in this markup?
You would put '-marks inside them, for example.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:33 pm

Post by Thor665 »

roundabout wrote:
Thor665
, why didn't you vote in the post where you explained your role? I don't find this particularly suspicious (especially since it's a copy/paste of a similar post from your first (and if your wiki page is up to date, so far only) IC game, where you were town), but it does seem like an odd choice to discuss how important the strategy of the opening is and not take part in that.
Okay, you explained your reasons so let's try to address this beast.

You've noted a 'contradiction' from me.
You've also noted that I discuss how important the opening is and yet didn't take part in "that" (that, being the 'opening' I presume)

Wh-whut?

Once the game started I made my intro IC post and then six minutes later made a post with answers to the questions that had been asked in the confirmation stage, and also put down a vote. What do you think I didn't participate in?
The confirmation stage? Okay...but I never claimed the confirmation stage was important - so that means nothing.
The RVS? Um...I sorta did (unless you think it ended within the six minutes between my second and third posts.

What's the contradiction?

roundabout is using shaky logic, but he's town for the day.
I've got to go back and see who started the giant bold listing of names with reads thing, the first or second user is already a bit more suspect to me.
Confused on tvellalott - he seems to be either trying too hard for a scum read (town) or stretching to make something seem more worthwhile then it is (scum)
I'm a reasonable supporter of the zipperflesh wagon.
Might have to consider an Ibarra wagon as well.

@tvellalott - why do you think scumzipper was taking pains to buddy up to me, then mock me, then buddy up to me more - wouldn't it make more sense for him to pick one and run with it?
@Ibarra - you noted that you would vote for Subterfuge, but that doing so and putting him at L-1 "isn't good". When do you think it becomes "good" to put the player you most suspect at L-1?
zipperflesh
zipperflesh
Goon
zipperflesh
Goon
Goon

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:36 pm

Post by zipperflesh »

tvellalott wrote:Someone smells bad and it’s zipperfish.

After starting the wagon on me, which I didn’t initially find suspicious, I see several little tells within his subsequent posts which indicate he might be scum.

POST #33

“I agree whole heartedly.”
Subtle buddying towards Thor regarding an apparently random bandwagon…

“I get the sense that Finner is a townie trying his hand at scum hunting.”
Overt buddying toward Finner. Finner stated in his answers to his own questions that this was only his second game. In otherwords Finner is a newb. I’ve employed this tactic as scum myself before. Buddy up to a newb and take them all the way through the game.
Part 1 - Buddying with Thor

Yes, when taken out of context, it does seem like I'm buddying up to Thor. What you failed to include in your fail-quote was the the razz simile, indicating I agreed with the "gold, win, and chocolate truffles" aspect of Thor's post. I may have been the first to vote for you, but Thor is the one that started a wagon.

Part 2 - Buddying w/ Finner

I don't think Finner being a newb has anything to do with this, because, yet again, you are taking my words out of context. Thor said Finner was his #2 scumspect, and I was disagreeing with him by saying I felt Finner's posts up to that point made him look townie to me. Stating you feel someone is town and explaining why is not a scum-tell.

POST #37

This entire post is full of buddying towards Finner and disreputing Thor.
I'm not seeing why you feel this post is scummy. I was attacking what I felt was a legitimately scummy move from Thor. If you have a problem with my attack on him, then please detail what it is you have a problem with.
POST #45 & #49

More buddying and semantical arguments.
Again, both of these posts are me wrestling with what I feel was a suspicious move from Thor. I found it odd that by page 2 he had found enough evidence to legitimately have two top scumspects.

POST #64

Despite changing your vote to Subterfuge AFTER my posts and clearly being a very active player , it isn’t until other people have suggested my original posts weren’t helpful that you FOS me. You also subtly buddy Thor here, perhaps to counteract all the fail-disreputing earlier…
This is an outright misrepresentation. I voted for Sub in post #54, your first D1 posts comes at #59 & #60. Thor was completely correct in his post against you. There wasn't anything else I could have said that he hadn't already said, so I FoS'd you to show my willingness to vote you should you continue posting 0 content.
You also have this constant WIFOM thing going where you keep ensuring everyone that “if I was mafia I wouldn’t play like this” (POST #46 for example)
Yeah, I can see post #46 was a mistake. I shouldn't have posted that, but its a general observation I hear all the time. Thor's post reminded me of that, so I responded to him in an offhand manner without realizing the implications of WIFOM. As a rule, playstyle shouldn't be taken into consideration against a player, and that statement from me would be best left alone as its WIFOM.

--------------

In conclusion, I have to wonder if you are using a double standard. Here are some other examples of "buddying up" that you seemingly don't find worth mentioning:
Thor665 wrote: EI can be town today, good catch on zipper's FOS - that is weird, and he should address it. I might need to shift my vote, but Subterfuge is working hard to keep himself exciting.
roundabout wrote:
zipperfish
comes off as sounding very genuine. I suspect good things of him. "Perhaps I'm reading into his words a bit too much, chasing ghosts if you will," comes really close to sounding suspicious, and if it weren't true I doubt he'd be willing to risk the negative response admitting that his actions could be a shot in the dark might bring.
#67 by Finner could be said to include buddying up with about four people.

I could go on... just a little curious as to why Tvellalot choose me to accuse, when just about every player is guilty of doing the same thing in some form or annother.

zipperflesh
zipperflesh
Goon
zipperflesh
Goon
Goon

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:41 pm

Post by zipperflesh »

Finner wrote: After recently reading Tvellalotts previous game, I am not sure about him. Substerfuge is still my top suspect, but I'll keep my vote on Tvella since Substerfuge has already 3 votes on him.
What about tvellalot's previous games make you unsure of him here?

---------------------

I also notice no contradiction from Thor. In his IC post he made it clear it was not game-related and that he would follow it up with a content post, which he did a few minutes later. The follow-up post contained his vote.

tvellalott
tvellalott
Goon
tvellalott
Goon
Goon

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:53 pm

Post by tvellalott »

Read my previous game and see >:D
Finner
Finner
Townie
Finner
Townie
Townie

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:56 am

Post by Finner »

zipperflesh wrote:
Finner wrote: After recently reading Tvellalotts previous game, I am not sure about him. Substerfuge is still my top suspect, but I'll keep my vote on Tvella since Substerfuge has already 3 votes on him.
What about tvellalot's previous games make you unsure of him here?
His whole playingstyle. I suggest you to check the game, Newbie 985.
tvellalott
tvellalott
Goon
tvellalott
Goon
Goon

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:04 am

Post by tvellalott »

Goodness gracious, are you scared Finner? *roars with laughter*
Finner
Finner
Townie
Finner
Townie
Townie

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:12 am

Post by Finner »

No :)

But I have to admit you played well.
Finner
Finner
Townie
Finner
Townie
Townie

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:35 am

Post by Finner »

Also

V/LA most of tomorrow

After tomorrow morning, I won't be able to post until evening.
laonious
laonious
Townie
laonious
Townie
Townie

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:30 am

Post by laonious »

A couple of you made the point that voting, even randomly, would be more useful than me hedging my bets, and I've decided that you're right. With that in mind,
VOTE: tvellalot.
I -really- didn't like his third post where he goes after zipper. As was point out already, many of his quotes were taken out of context, which is a total scum move if you ask me.
EarthIntruder
EarthIntruder
Goon
EarthIntruder
Goon
Goon

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:18 am

Post by EarthIntruder »

@tvellalot I notice that most of the things you now mention that you find suspicious of zipper came before your post #60, where you say you don't find anyone suspicious. What changed?
Zipper wrote:Thor's post reminded me of that, so I responded to him in an offhand manner without realizing the implications of WIFOM. As a rule, playstyle shouldn't be taken into consideration against a player, and that statement from me would be best left alone as its WIFOM.
"I realize that statement was WIFOM. But seriously, you shouldn't vote for me when I seem scummy. But ignore when I said that, because it was WIFOM."
I felt Electrodes in the air
When I saw you and you saw me,
But that was before I knew
Your Diglett was so Dratini.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”