Newbie 1068 (Town Wins!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:53 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Nobody Special wrote:@RF: A) I have no idea what you're on about. 2) Now you're going to have me awake at night figuring out what other thing RF stands for. d) We aren't currently in a game together, so there goes that theory.
Pro-tip: it (the second word) rhymes with wish.
don't you feel silly now?
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:01 pm

Post by Nobody Special »

Oh. In my defense, it's very late, and I'm very tired.
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)
MaxKojote
MaxKojote
Townie
MaxKojote
Townie
Townie

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:10 pm

Post by MaxKojote »

Well chocolate I can love too, but as an ice cream I will always lean to vanilla more, dunno why.

Except with Magnum. That's an entirely different story.

-

Also: Nice to meet you NS.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Wingdamage and fatso are the only ones left to not have posted. I guess I'll reveal my masterful plan and genius skills, then.

What I've been doing is the art of Reaction Fishing.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:18 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Reaction Fishing is the use of insane / ridiculous / not really practical arguments or statements to draw out or fish for reactions from players. Based upon the reactions, you can get reads on alignments and motives.
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:24 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Kcdaspot wrote:...

if that was a vote there would have been hell to pay..

avi trolls don't deserve rope. vote hoppers do.
Now, kcd I actually felt was scummy for this post.

He essentially went "if you change your vote, you're scummy" - this kind of generic cover all type logic makes it really, really easy to switch your *own* vote around while excusing yourself frm suspicion. It's one of those mud slinging type moves that's highly suspect.

Neil's postings re: kcd and the ease with which he agrees wit shanman over something I feel is actually rather minor makes me less at ease with my initial confidence that kcd is scum, but kcd's own posting towards me reads like early-pressured scum not sure on how to react.

I'm probably reading too much into the posting, but sue me, it's my job.

From the reactions surrounding my play, I felt shanman was townish and neil was slightly scummy. NS is actually a null read for me, but }|{opa is most definitely townish.
Jora
Jora
Mafia Scum
Jora
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:11 pm

Post by Jora »

Well, that makes sense to me. RayFrost gains +. It simbolize that from that moment I consider him as pro-town till something serious may happend which forse me to refuse. And it's not becouse of his provocative town-read on me, but becouse of the way how he doing reaction-huting. I think that reaction hunting of that sort (in a very begining of the game) is rather pointless in spite of that I appreciate when somebody tries to shake things. It always causes undesireble attention and mafias (in general) should avoid doing so, otherwise first day successfull lynch could happen.
Be
RED
or be dead. ☭
Jora is obv VT, if not, she is a Cop. Simple.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:09 am

Post by zoraster »

Day 1 Vote Count

MaxKojote ( 0 )
(L - 5 )

Fatso ( 0 )
(L - 5 )

Kcdaspot ( 2 ) RayFrost, }|{opa,
(L - 3 )

neil1113 ( 1 ) WingDamage9001,
(L - 4 )

Nobody Special ( 0 )
(L - 5 )

RayFrost ( 0 )
(L - 5 )

WingDamage9001 ( 0 )
(L - 5 )

Shanman ( 0 )
(L - 5 )

}|{opa ( 1 ) Shanman,
(L - 4 )

No Lynch ( 0 )
(L - 5 )

Not Voting ( 5 ) MaxKojote, Fatso, neil1113, Nobody Special, Kcdaspot,
Total Votes ( 9 )

Deadline: March 17th at 19:00 EST
With 9 able to vote, 5 needed to lynch.
neil1113
neil1113
Mafia Scum
neil1113
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:11 am

Post by neil1113 »

}|{opa wrote:Well, that makes sense to me. RayFrost gains +. It simbolize that from that moment I consider him as pro-town till something serious may happend which forse me to refuse. And it's not becouse of his provocative town-read on me, but becouse of the way how he doing reaction-huting. I think that reaction hunting of that sort (in a very begining of the game) is rather pointless in spite of that I appreciate when somebody tries to shake things. It always causes undesireble attention and mafias (in general) should avoid doing so, otherwise first day successfull lynch could happen.
You also have to realize the WIFOM of your statement. Frost could easily be attempting to get all eyes on him in order to get most people to think of him as town early on in the game. It's usually in the form of buddying, but could easily be in the form of "reaction fishing." Heck, in some of my old games I did the same thing, and I was scum. I don't find his actions scummy personally, but to rule them out so early would be a very foolish thing (and overlooking thing) to do. Overlooking something could very well be the demise of the town.

That said, Frost could you re-explain to me why you're slightly suspicious of myself? Because I agreed with someones post, and apologized for misrepresenting someone? Do I understand that correctly? If so, I have two questions for you.

1. How is apologizing for misrepresenting someone (my re:kcd) scum motivated, in any way?
2. How is agreeing with a point that someone else has made, "slightly" more scum motivated then town?
Show
Total Games Played:

Last Editted:
9-29-11

Spoiler: My Record for Mafiascum.net
#1. 5-2 Scum
#2. 3-6 Town
#3. 0-1 3rd Party
Archaebob
-
Hats off to Neil for some incredible town play.

Me=Weird
-
When I read up, I was just amazed by neil. Awesome reads.
Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:40 am

Post by Kcdaspot »

@ ray: I thought that shan voted you. if he did it'd be a extreme vote hop. thus my comment.

If he had voted there my vote would be on him.. bout page five... whose yet to post?
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
Shanman
Shanman
Goon
Shanman
Goon
Goon
Location: On a planet far from you. Unless you live on Earth.

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:46 am

Post by Shanman »

Kcdaspot wrote:@ ray: I thought that shan voted you. if he did it'd be a extreme vote hop. thus my comment.

If he had voted there my vote would be on him.. bout page five... whose yet to post?
I don't think that it would have been that extreme. }|{opa hadn't spoken yet, so my vote wasn't really doing anything. (Speaking of which
unvote
, I'm content with }|{opa's response.) My "vote", had it been one, on RayFrost would have been for seeing how he responded, as the reason wouldn't have been a good one. Just because I vote for someone, doesn't mean I'm positive that they're scum. It's just important to pressure people sometimes.
Show
Give a man a fire
And he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire
And he will be warm for the rest of his life!

GASA, a philosophy to die by.
zoraster
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
zoraster
He/Him
Disorganized Crime
Disorganized Crime

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:53 am

Post by zoraster »

Mod Note
: Oh, I didn't mention this before, and it's not a rule or anything (at least in this game), but if you can put votes and unvotes on their own line, it makes it easier for the mod as well as other players to see it.

Normally I wouldn't mention it, but good habits start early!
Shanman
Shanman
Goon
Shanman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:03 am

Post by Shanman »

zoraster wrote:
Mod Note
: Oh, I didn't mention this before, and it's not a rule or anything (at least in this game), but if you can put votes and unvotes on their own line, it makes it easier for the mod as well as other players to see it.

Normally I wouldn't mention it, but good habits start early!
I'm going to assume that was directed at me, and make a formal apology for my egregious behavior. *Bows to Moderator Zoraster*
Mod Note: You're blameless; I never mentioned it before now. I just wanted to make a note of it now
Show
Give a man a fire
Set a man on fire

Kcdaspot
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Kcdaspot
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:26 am

Post by Kcdaspot »

Shanman wrote: *Bows to Master Zoraster*
FTFY.
A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:55 am

Post by Fatso »

Vote neil1113

It's nothing personal, I held a lottery and you one.
"Don't shuffle that deck, it's stacked!"

-Fatso
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:56 am

Post by Fatso »

Haha. I must be tired. WON.

-Fatso
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:00 am

Post by Fatso »

I just read the rules:
Unvote: neil1113

Vote: No Lynch

-Fatso
Shanman
Shanman
Goon
Shanman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:20 am

Post by Shanman »

Fatso wrote:I just read the rules: Unvote: neil1113
Vote: No Lynch
An interesting vote. Care to explain? I would think that a No Lynch could only hurt us. However it would clearly benifit the scum because they would be at no risk for a day.
Show
Give a man a fire
Set a man on fire

Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:35 am

Post by Fatso »

Yeah, I thought about that after I said it, and that became more clear. Whenever I've played before (never online), we've always started with simply falling asleep. That way in the morning we'd at least have something to discuss.
Basically, my vote could help the scum, but given the fact that we're basically just swinging a gun around and pulling the trigger at this point, it seems more likely that we'd hit a Towny than a Mafia.

-Fatso
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:45 am

Post by Fatso »

By the way, does anyone know what the little thing right under people's names is? (It says "Townsperson" or "Goon" or something like that.)

-Fatso
Shanman
Shanman
Goon
Shanman
Goon
Goon

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:28 pm

Post by Shanman »

Fatso wrote:By the way, does anyone know what the little thing right under people's names is? (It says "Townsperson" or "Goon" or something like that.)
It's a judge of how many posts someone has. Apparently being a part of the mafia is a good thing... :roll:
Fatso wrote:Yeah, I thought about that after I said it, and that became more clear. Whenever I've played before (never online), we've always started with simply falling asleep. That way in the morning we'd at least have something to discuss.
Basically, my vote could help the scum, but given the fact that we're basically just swinging a gun around and pulling the trigger at this point, it seems more likely that we'd hit a Towny than a Mafia.
I suppose I should let the IC explain this, but I think I might know. Usually the way to sort this out is with RQS and RVS. These allow for a bit of conversation, in which the Mafia might slip up. It can be used to see how people interact, as opposed to trying to analyze a night kill, which can be difficult, confusing, and very wifom.

In any game that I've seen so far, there was never a voluntary no lynch.
Show
Give a man a fire
Set a man on fire

RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:44 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Shanman wrote:I suppose I should let the IC explain this, but I think I might know. Usually the way to sort this out is with RQS and RVS. These allow for a bit of conversation, in which the Mafia might slip up. It can be used to see how people interact, as opposed to trying to analyze a night kill, which can be difficult, confusing, and very wifom.

In any game that I've seen so far, there was never a voluntary no lynch.
To clarify:

No lynch on D1 is summarily a Bad IdeaTM in most games (there are no exceptions I can come up with off the top of my head), as it does not provide much in the way of information. When you lynch an individual, town or scum, people are forced to take stances regarding the person, there's interactions and connective information. Did this person really have a case on the lynched individual? Was the person off the lynch trying to avoid a town lynch or did they truly believe in their case? Did they push it? Was this person too defensive when he was being pressured?

Even if a townie is lynched D1, the town still benefits with the gift of information. Because of this, town aligned players should not feel
too
survivalist.

There are situations where no lynch is a good idea, though. In newbie games, for example, town should no lynch when they've lynched one scum and they are currently at 4 players: 3 town, 1 scum (also known as mylo or mislynch and lose) or when there's 6 players with 2 scum and 4 town (also a mislynch or lose situation). The no lynch is good because, after scum kill someone, there's one fewer scum possibility, meaning town has a higher chance of lynching correctly.
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:48 pm

Post by Fatso »

I guess that makes sense, but seeing as I haven't noticed a major slip up, and any vote I place for a player would only have a 22.2% chance of being a Scum (based on the assumption that I'm not a Mafia, one which I'm willing to make), I don't see it as ideal for me to vote for someone. If anything noticeable hinky happens, I would be liable to change it.
Also, I'm generally wrong, but seldom in doubt. So I'm probably wrong.

-Fatso
RayFrost
RayFrost
Survivor
RayFrost
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:54 pm

Post by RayFrost »

Fatso wrote:I guess that makes sense, but seeing as I haven't noticed a major slip up, and any vote I place for a player would only have a 22.2% chance of being a Scum (based on the assumption that I'm not a Mafia, one which I'm willing to make), I don't see it as ideal for me to vote for someone. If anything noticeable hinky happens, I would be liable to change it.
Also, I'm generally wrong, but seldom in doubt. So I'm probably wrong.
You shouldn't be overly worried about lynching correctly. The town's greatest source of information is lynching, the interactions around the lynch, and the discussion it generates. Lynches are town's only controllable, reliable source of information, so lynching is key to winning. By not lynching, you effectively reduce the chance of hitting scum to 0%, making lynching a superior option even with the low odds.
Nobody Special
Nobody Special
Survivor
Nobody Special
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:59 pm

Post by Nobody Special »

Fatso, please note that we do have almost three weeks left in which to lynch someone. Other than that, what RayFrost said.

@}|{opa: May I just refer to you as Jora? So much easier to type.
....what?

Blitz: Picking Simplicity taking pre-ins; PM for info. (0/13)

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”